[PnP] Protection Items

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Fri Sep 29 11:19:20 CEST 2006

I would say that
- Permanent Magics-Ensorcellment can be cast to create an item that
defends against a specific spell. Against this spell it defends using
its MDV. And of course, as said in the description, casting the
ensorcellment at five times normal cost, the protection can be
extended to all types of magic. If cast at normal cost it does
nothing against other spells. It will never protect from physical harm.

- The spell protection protects from both physical and magical harm,
using EL+2. It must be learned and cast against a specific alignment.
Other alignments resist with triple MDV if cast against them. It does
nothing against non-aligned persons.

If cast into an item (PM - ensorcellment) that can actively cast
protection, it will protect at EL+2 a maximum of (EL+1)/3 times a day.

- Protection items resist magic and physical attacks from anyone,
regardless of alignment and even nonaligned persons.
They do so at EL (no modifier) but work all the times, not a limited
number of times per day.

So there are three options in the rules. Each of them grant
protection. The more powerful grant protection against a more limited
set of opponents. The less powerful protection works against
everybody. I would say this is some balance in the rules. No
inconsistencies here.

Wout