[pnpgm] Game Updae #38 - File #383 - The Battle Mind

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Thu Sep 24 23:32:37 CEST 2009

john haight wrote:

>    During the discussion on how best to distribute the funds to the
> family and the captain's mention of the 'Sailors Way' Arawn adds in,
>
>    "Captain, as the treasure has been given to you and your crew, it
> is up to all of you to decide on how best to dispense the
> treasure. However, I will say that the idea of donating to the
> 'Sailors Way' is a very admirable one and I support it.
>    As for Ki' Lu's family, I think your decision to have an account
> set up for them a wise one. It hinders any attempts to steal from them
> by limiting the amount vulnerable at any one time. I do understand
> Raban's view, to protect the family from being overwhelmed too quickly
> by the amount but I do not think they would lack appreciation for it
> or find some level of joy in Ki' Lu's death," pausing to look at Raban
> in a friendly and understanding way, "But there should be a silver
> lining to their recent tragedy."
>
>    He seemed to ponder something for a moment before continuing,
>
>    "Perhaps you could suggest to the family to invest in a better
> education or training so as to lead to a better way of life that they
> can perpetuate and build off of instead of relying on the gold
> until the last coin is gone.
>    Another one, if you, the crew, and the family are open to it, is to
> combine the funds and build an inn or tavern. This allows for another
> source of perpetuating income and as investors you could all get a
> share of the yearly profits. It might be smaller than your initial
> investments at first but in time you all should recoup your loss
> and start making a profit that can add to your shipping income. Also,
> it offers a place to rest when away from home for some. Perhaps with
> some help you could get it to grow, maybe link it up with the 'Sailors
> Way' or guilds to allow discounts to sailors or guild-members and
> hopefully draw attention its way. Volume could make up for discounts
> and also some might frequent it knowing that a portion might be
> donated to the 'Sailors Way' to assist others in your profession."

Raban can only sigh and hope the wise Druid understands humans as well
as he thinks he does. It is not a bards place to contradict a Druid, but
perhaps this druid has not been exposed to enough poor people to
understand the risks of wealth. But there is time yet and the Captain
will make his own decisions and hopefully take the warnings to heart.

>    As talk of how to deal with the pirates grows Arawn voices his own
> view.
>
>    "I do not agree with killing the pirates. I do not think we should
> act as judge, jury, and executioner out of fear of a possibility. It
> would be the first step on a downward path to rationalize killing when
> off the battle-field.
>    These men know the laws of their land and have chosen their action
> with this in mind. The repercussions of such choices should be left to
> the magistrates of this land. I will not be the one to condemn them
> for actions that, though likely, we have not been witness to without
> having a chance before a judge. Though I think that their fates will
> be determined by the markings they bare.
>    And I would vote against tampering with their memories for the time
> being. Such magics can be detected and their memories will likely come
> back over several weeks, though I hope we will be done in Katai by
> then. And as long as Fremea kept out of sight, they likely have not
> seen anything, covered by the fog.
>    The explosion can be attributed to a weapon meant to deter pirates.
> After all we are not just a merchant ship but one bearing a noble and
> his entourage so it makes sense that we would be well-equipped to deal
> with something as 'trivial' as pirates. It would be their word versus
> a noble's and I think the latter will carry more weight. As to the
> weapon, we could say it was a weapon from some barbarous land, a kind
> of ceramic bomb perhaps? It could detonate after being lit, either on
> impact or in the air if the fuse burns down enough. We could claim to
> be out by now and have the bombs launched by large slings that we
> should be able to craft before arriving in port. We only need one that
> our 'servant', Raban, uses on Zhou's behalf.
>    Beyond that, if any have questions of the pirates I could be
> present for interrogation to determine if the truth to anything they
> might have to say without ever alerting them to the use of magic. As
> to any other threat to us, I think Fremea is on to something about
> using them to our advantage and I am curious to hear what she has to
> say on the subject."

Raban speaks up, "Sadly I know little of how to use a sling so if they
ask for any demonstration I may not be good enough for the task. Though
hitting a ship should be somewhat easier than hitting a smaller target."