[pnpgm] Game Update #13 - File #173 - Initial Dragon actions

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Wed Jun 3 10:28:52 CEST 2009

<Apologies for all my long posts, I tend to detailed responses on
questions. Worse its hard for me not to 'correct' something that looks
wrong.
<And I do not know how experienced the players are here, so wanted to
point out PnP is never hopeless. It tends to have ways to ruin plans for
either side!
<Do not forget the Dice love to play games too, and are quite capable of
tipping things in either direction.
<I do not know the specifics on these Sea Dragons to quote real odds and
Raban would not know anyway so I am not letting that influence things.
Raban has never had serious problems with any creature he encountered,
so tends to be over confident and tries not to kill unless he must. Here
he is in a situation where his knowledge is limits as is his skills on
deck, it is quite likely he will make serious mistakes. But Raban does
not worry much about that either except in how it makes him look bad in
front of the ladies. Raban runs mostly on instincts and intuition, not
planning. So I think I will need to adjust his actions...

<First a question: Would Raban understand that minutes to respond to a
problem is not too long? I would suspect he is more used to time is
critical and thus react that way. As such he would try to reach deck by
the fastest way possible, preferably with his bow and arrows. Here is
where his intelligence gets in his way. Where is his gear relative to
his location so he can find his way there quickly? If others are running
about, there is problems with him moving at all in cramped areas. So it
is very likely he would decide to try to shorten the path by walking or
flying through walls or floors etc. (Yes, Raban has a few tricks he
knows little about other than they seem to work when he needs them
too.)  It may not be a good idea in reality but Raban may not know that
either. If he understands the risks better than I give him credit for
then he may be more careful in just where he tries that.
<Raban may hurt himself reacting the wrong way here and I have no
problem with that as its 'In Character'. Though it would be very bad to
accidentally go through the ship into the water because the ship
suddenly changed directions.

<I really should not say this...but I tend to be a devils advocate and
point out things that could be missed for either side... Flying could
have issues with a fast ship, once you are off the deck you have no
friction to hold you with the ship and your inertia will quickly be lost
to air drag and thus need to be maintained by flight speed. Thus if you
cant fly as fast as the ship you may get left behind. Near the deck you
are more sheltered and thus do not 'fight' as much of that effective
wind but it will have some impact on maneuvers. Of course the ships
magic could put an envelope around the ship so this is not such a
problem or the propulsion wind itself may help keep fliers with the
ship. Though that can be a problem since many ships actually travel
faster than the wind. So if the people on deck feel a wind in their
faces due to the speed of the ship, its bad for fliers. If the air is
more still, then there is an air envelope moving with the ship and
fliers work like the ship is near stationary...until they leave the
area. Thus flying 'on' a maneuvering ship can be a serious problem
depending on how the ship's air moves... So could be bad for Raban and
Fremea or others.

<Sorry 3:30am here and loosing coherence. I will have to finish Raban's
action planing tomorrow...assuming Fremea's player does not shoot me ;)