[pnpgm] Game update #34 - File #121 - Party enters Caladan's village

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Mar 28 06:51:20 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.............Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #33b in sequence (file #114)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          I thought Garak was from DS9...wasn't sure though.  It's been
          a lotta years since I watched that one!

          Ben'Dar remembers Hew'becca fondly.  They used to race horses
          together.  Ben'Dar would always start off the races by
          yelling, "Punch it, Hewie!"

          Ben'Dar stiffens at Cetric's approach, not sure if the man
          has reconsidered punching him back...  When he sees that Cetric
          bears him no ill will, he relaxes.  At the mention of his
          cousin, Brekkan, Ben'Dar even smiles slightly.  The smile is
          gone in an instant though, overshadowed by some deep inner
          pain that causes him to clench his jaw.

          He looks as if he is going to be angry, but then he merely
          sighs and says almost too quietly to be heard, "They were
          bound to know at some point that I still live..."  Then more
          loudly, "Thank you for letting me know, Cetric.  Any news from
          my kin?"

          At Cetric's request to stay for the evening feast, Ben'Dar
           says nothing, but merely looks at Chion to respond.

           Upon seeing Caladan, Ben'Dar breaks into a huge grin and
           embraces his friend.  "Good to see you again, Caladan!"  He
           nudges Caladan in the ribs and teases, "Durge been giving
           you a hard time again?"
        GM: Ack.  Yep.  Garak is from DS9 the spy/tailor/defector.
            Been watching the show lately (Spike 2am some nights).
            Punch it. :) Funny.

                        -------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will reply to Cetric, "Teacher, I am sorry to say we
          cannot stay long. We can stay perhaps a quarter hour, perhaps
          long enough for a drink with friends. We are heading to my
          homeland." Looking toward Caladan, "Of course you can come
          friend!" He looks Caladan up and down to see how his recovery
          is coming. Some day he hopes Cetric will teach him or let him
          observe this miraculous magic. "We can take a short break
          while Raban catches his breath and Caladan gathers his
          things."

          "Its a little weird at first, but you get used to it." Chion
          says over his shoulder, observing if Raban knows how to
          teleport or not. Looking over to Ben'Dar and others who
          probably have a few faces who wish to see them he will smile,
          "Not to long though."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will follow where the party goes, making sure she is
          staying out of the way and observing.
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban(to Z'leyra), "I am afraid I do not know the languages
          for where we are going. Your magic could greatly assist in
          my learning what I need, so I would like a chance to try it. I
          believe someone mentioned it needs someone who knows the
          language to participate in the spell?"

          [Raban was a little shook up by the sudden relocation, but
          nothing serious. Not knowing this culture, he watches everyone
          carefully while following the others.]
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will lend the necklace to Ben'dar saying "I have
          learned Katai, to speak it anyway. Put on this necklace,
          grasp the knot in your hand and say 'Understand' as I speak
          in Katai to you. Hopefully it will work - if not when it is
          your turn again we shall try again." Z'leyra will cast thru
          her staff a EL4 Sidh Purification to assist the necklace in
          its spell, hand the necklace to Ben'dar and start talking to
          him in Katai about the weather, how he likes his horse et
          cetera until she is sure the necklace either succeeded or
          failed for the day.

          She tells Fremea that it will be her turn the next day.

          At the village Z'leyra will greet Caladan warmly and nod her
          head at the others. She will inquire how her patients fare
          and pass pleasantries with those that talk with her.

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Ga'Fel Tribal Capital Village, Zen'da Plains,
           800 miles north of Sivas City, home to Caladan.

        [Time: 5:03pm]

        [Recalling past tension and threats by party members and
         a possible desire to seek revenge, Ben'dar tenses up
         at the approach of Cetric.  Unlike most "civilized" people
         who seem to keep insults but rarely act on them, Zen'da
         do not.  They seek revenge often and with force.  Yet
         Cetric shows no sign of hatred.  He is a rare shaman on
         the plains.  Ben'dar knows most shaman's who would capture
         the party and put them up against tests of strength, will,
         intelligence and other things would change to be a rather
         nice guy.  The older man must have what Ben'dar hears
         in the city - wisdom and patience.  Cetric's face softens
         when he mentions Brekkan, Ben'dar's cousin.  Ben'dar
         even shows a slight smile.  But as quickly as the smile
         comes it fades.  Ben'dar glances to the east away from
         the party as his jaw clenches.  The hair blows around his
         face as if in the middle of a whirlwind as he recalls
         past memories.  Ben'dar turns back and cetric seems to
         notice right away the more intense face staring back.
         Shamans must be trained to read people.  Its a hidden
         talent that they learn in order to convey their will
         upon a tribe through emotions.  Cetric reads Ben'dar
         quickly as anger flashes and then softens.  Ben'dar
         replies back quickly.]

        Ben'dar: "They were bound to know at some point that I still
          live..."  [Then more loudly,] "Thank you for letting me know,
          Cetric.  Any news from my kin?"

        [Cetric looks confused and quickly glances at the party and
         then back at Ben'dar.]

        Cetric [in a low whisper] "Still alive?" [He grabs Ben'dar
          and pulls him to the side.] "Did I speak badly for you?
          I just assumed you wanted your kin to know?  I'm sure
          they are proud of you for helping to save the plains
          from Bova invasion.  If I spoke wrongly I am sorry.
          As to your kin he didn't mention anything beyond they
          were gathering this summer for a clan meeting of some sort."

        [Slightly saddened Cetric steps back and then walks a few
         feet back to the party to welcome them to stay.]

        [Ben'dar wouldn't mind spending time with the other Ga'fel
         warriors drinking, as if he hasn't drunk a few dozen
         ales by nwo.  But he waits for Chion to reply.]

        Chion: "Teacher, I am sorry to say we cannot stay long. We can s
          tay perhaps a quarter hour, perhaps long enough for a drink
          with friends. We are heading to my homeland."

        [Cetric smiles and nods.]

        Cetric: "The dangerous home I've heard some about?  I hope
          all is well.  Fine! Fine!  Come we'll break out the spring
          beer supply!" [He reaches over and palces his arm on
          Chion's back and pushes him forward.  Chion braces not
          liking to be touched by much but knows this is Zen'da
          form of hospitality.]

        [Cetric releases his arm wrap and begins to jog a bit ahead
         and orders warriors to bring out food and drink.]

        [At this point Caladan approaches with a broad smile.  He
         asks about re-joining the party.]

        Chion: "Of course you can come friend!" [He looks Caladan up and
          down to see how his recovery is coming. Some day he hopes
          Cetric will teach him or let him observe this miraculous
          magic.] "We can take a short break while Raban catches his
          breath and Caladan gathers his things."

        [Caladan smiles as Chion looks over his shoulder at Raban and
         the others.]

        Chion: "Its a little weird at first, but you get used to it."
          [Chion gleams a quick scan at Raban to detect if he has
          ever been through a teleport, especially of hhis distance.
          He sees Unali, Z'leyra and Ben'dar spot others in the
          village they know.  Chion knows this short reunion will
          do good for morale.  But he reminds the party they can't
          stay long.] "Not to long though."

        [Ben'dar gives a quick growl greeting to Caladan and gives
         him the Zen'da arm greeting gesture.  his face changes
         from solemn memories to a gleeful grin.]

        Ben'dar: "Good to see you again, Caladan!"  [He nudges Caladan
          in the ribs and teases,] "Durge been giving you a hard time
          again?"

        Caladan: "Always!  Just when things settle down and we see
          only one non-Zen'da all winter you show up." [He winks]
          "Good timing!"

        [Raban stares at the wide plains and small village in front
         of him.  One minute he is in a city that smells a bit
         of fish and sea water.  Surrounded by buildings and smelly
         outhouses and now to be here in fresh clean cool air and
         not a building taller than 15 feet in sight.  Raban straightens
         up his leathers and follows Chion and Caladan to the village.
         As he does he nudges next to Z'leyra.]

        Raban: "I am afraid I do not know the languages for where we are
          going. Your magic could greatly assist in my learning what I
          need, so I would like a chance to try it. I believe someone
          mentioned it needs someone who knows the language to participate
          in the spell?"

        [Z'leyra hands the necklace to Ben'dar.  Ben'dar and Raban
         look confused at this.]

        Z'leyra: "I have learned Katai, to speak it anyway. Put on this
          necklace, grasp the knot in your hand and say 'Understand' as
          I speak in Katai to you. Hopefully it will work - if not when
          it is your turn again we shall try again."

         [Z'leyra prepares the necklace for a spell and the area
          for a spell.  She tells Fremea that it will be her turn
          the next day.]

        [The party heads toward the village from the 10 foot clearing
         Chion has pre-determined to be his for a teleport way point.
         The village erupts into a organized chaos as they quickly
         prepare a mini-feast.  As the women were already gathering
         food for the night dinner its not a stretch to get the women
         to shift to include guests.  Instead of sunset the village can
         hear an hour or so earlier.]

        [Caladan turns and looks the party up and down.  He notices
         Arawn, Raban and Fremea.  All new members.  He briefly
         recalls seeing them when the party came down from the
         Vassa forest.  But this tall handsome fellow is new.]

        Caladan: "I am Caladan Sundancer son of Gib'borah, Ga'sha
          of this village and the Ga'fel Zen'da tribe.  The
          grouchy one mounting up over there is my brother Durge.
          Ignore him.  My father is away tonight on a inter-tribal
          meeting." [He leans toward Chion and nudges] "One reason
          I wanted to leave tonight so didn't have to deal with
          long good-byes.  Nice to see us gain new members to
          our rowdy gang.  We lost Thig to gain this lovely one
          here." [He turns and bows to Fremea, a very civilized
          greeting for a barbarian.] "One who seems to have replaced
          Strie'bog from the looks of it." [He smiles at Raban] "Then
          Arawn who've I've meet briefly who replaced jordi.  I also
          see some old friends like Xian and Farseeker aren't here.
          But come we have plenty of time to talk!"

        [Arawn enters the village with his face wrapped as usual.  The
         dust blows and it is good to block it from his mouth and
         nose.  These are strange people.  They seem to be slackers
         of sort who like to drink and sing.  He glances at Ben'dar
         and back at the village.  Yet he knows these people are
         fierce fighters.  A human paradox again he may never seem
         to understand.  It's like those courtiers in his own
         homeland who are cowards directly but work behind the
         scenes to backstab one another to gain the god's favor.]

        [Ben'dar wishes Tef'wo could see the place again and roam
         around.  But then again Tef'wo was never a native horse
         to these plains as far as he knows.  Ben'dar rushes into
         the village seeing a few warriors he spent time with in
         the past.  He quickly accounts recent events and begins
         to laugh hearing exploits of Durge and Cetric.  Especially
         the story of Durge slipping off his horse with his boot
         still in the stirrup recently, only to be dragged half
         a mile in the winter mud.]

        [Chion walks with the party and enters the party.  Chion
         feels a sense of relief being away from the threats of
         the city but also feels alone in the village.  Only
         he can understand the true problems of his homeland.  He
         just hopes he can fix some of their problems on his fateful
         return trip.  He recalls the sea voyage that took him 3
         years to sail from the Lands around the world all the
         way to Clima and meet up with this party.  Three years
         alone and improving himself.  Now he works with a party
         where one decision can affect so much others.  Cetric
         and Chion start up a conversation on the status of the
         village the last few weeks since Chion has left from
         his shaman apprenticeship.]

        [Fremea walks quietly and wonders why she dressed up so
         well.  This dusty place will surely mess up her nice
         gown.  She seeks a side of a tipi away from the wind and
         watches the party.  This strange place is so wide open
         it gives her the nerves.  Its one thing to fly up in
         the wide open skies but here on the ground where you
         see miles around you its something different.  She
         decides then that she could likely never live here.
         Soon the kids of the village come up and watch her.  They
         seem interested in her, especially her size.  Fremea's
         mood changes when the kids quietly approach and giggle.
         Both know not the langauge of each other but Fremea
         and the kids seem to bond quickly as she watches the
         kids play a stick tossing game.  A game likely in training
         for combat she guesses.]

        [Raban enters the party like a giant among dwarves.  The
         warriors seem to ignore him but he notices quickly the
         young women seem to giggle and stare at his handsome face.
         Raban soon feels like he could enjoy this place.  Bring
         some nice entertainment and civilized grace to this
         barbaric place.  Suddenly from one tent a large 7 foot
         300 pound man exits a tipi and stares at Raban.  Both
         are rather large.  Caladan walks by and explains that's
         A'gort.  Z'leyra explains he fought Farseeker briefly
         when Cetric more or less forced them to.  A'gort must
         be their best warrior?  Raban wonders if he could take him.]

        [Unali enters the village and looks around for Mullah.
         The one that seems to want to bring female independence
         to the Zen'da nation. As Caladan rushes from tipi to
         tipi gathering up supplies he stops and notices Unali
         looking around.]

        Caladan: "Looking for Mullah?  She left with a hunting party.
          She has broken some sterotypes and gained some acceptance
          on the hunting party.  A position only old women get for
          cleaning the prizes.  This time she is doing the hunting
          with the men.  This could be a turning point for her."

        [Z'leyra watches as Corona circles overhead.  She enters
         the village looking for the old man she helped but doesn't
         seem to spot him or the horse she helped to heal.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: Quick update.  Simply ran out of time due to late
            posts and lack of time.  Wanted to do a bit more
            but will try to include it in the big post for
            Monday when teleport to the Lands.

        GM: Guess Ben'dar gets the first use of the necklace though
            I thought Raban asked first?

        GM: No time to spell check this update folks.  Sorry.

        GM: Website updates -

            * Updated Timeline file
            * Updated Items of Campaign file/link
            * Removed IBT Time link
            * Removed IBT Status link
            * Updated people of campaign file/link
            * Added Dark Lands Map (Large map)
            * Added Dark Lands Cropped Map (small map)
            * Added player map of the Dark Land Domains.