[pnpgm] Game Update #233 - File #1437 - Battle begins!

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 05:30:37 CEST 2012

   HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
   ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
   R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
   W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
   W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
   R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
   R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
   R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
   W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
   W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
   R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
   R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
      NPC...................Captain.Lin.......Warrior.Normal/Human..Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #233 in sequence (file #1437)

         From Unali: [Re: Actions]
           Scott, welcome back. In the mean time the list and p&p site
           are back up as well. Hope all stays this way.

           Unali:
           "Arawn makes a fair point. Although I see no reason why...
         GM: Ack. Finally just replaced the SSD it hopefully is the
             center of the corruption to Windows.  We shall see how
             it holds.

         From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
           Fremea just nods at Unali. "It would be good for me to ....
         GM: Ack.

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Z'leyra states "I can only cast Mind Shield on those that...

           She knows that she will have to keep enough mana in reserve
           to cast the spells against the portal, so that will limit her
           Mind Sendings to EL0 and may limit the EL of her Mind Shields
           cast.
         GM: Ack.

         From Kell: [Re: Actions]
           Ha'Kell thinks for all of three seconds, then politely
           turns down the Mind Shield.  There isn't much there to
           shield he thinks, smiles, then says, "Thanks for the offer.
         GM: Ack.

         From Alex: [Re: Computer issues]
           Good luck!!
         GM: Ack.  So far so good but only a couple days.  We'll take
             it day by day at this point with this computer.

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Starting with Will, Z'leyra will use EL0 Mind Sending to
           contact those that want the Mind Shield. Before the party
           goes after the brain she will cast Mind Shield on them.
         GM: Ack. On Will? Don't see a post on that.  Guess you talked
             live on that so will assume he wants a Shield as well.

         From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
           Sorry for the delay in replying to things. I've been dealing
           with a lot lately and haven't been able to read the updates
           for the last two weeks.
           "I understand," he replied to Unali, acknowledging her ....
         GM: Ack. No problem no updates for last 2 weeks. :) hope all is
             better.  Remember ALL I can hold the game if personal issues
             dictate need more free time.  I do when have issues.

          [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
          [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
          [          Mountains west of Pamau]

          [Time: 2:46:00pm - 2:51:25pm]

            Arawn seems to fend off her reverie of worry and
          frustration for the Katai people she loves and hates.
          Some don't deserve to be helped but she does have family
          in this land.  If it weren't for that maybe a good shake
          up in the Empire would do a good thing.  But at last she
          comes back to reality and ends the debate.

            "Arawn makes a fair point. Although I see no reason why the
          Brain I saw would be a fake, the fact that they must be aware
          of us and waiting reduces our chances. If they can spring a
          surprise from a different location that could be disastrous.

            On the other hand, if the Brain and portal are genuine, that
          gives the Brain a supply of new warriors through the portal.
          Delay in closing that portal could be a disaster as well.

            We move up these stairs as a group. Fremea flies up to scout
          the stairs ahead of us. Please stay out of sight of the Brain,
          so stay a few metres aside or above the cave opening. I would
          like the  Mental Shield thing on the forward group at least, or
          all of us that might enter the cave if possible. Anything else
          that can help, Battle Mind, Speed?

            When we get just below the cave opening on the stairs, Kell
          can send in the elementals first, and other help that we can
          bring if available. Their task would be to attack the brain.
          Then we rush in to assist, and the plan will be fluid from
          that point I guess.

            Farseeker, Arawn, Raban, with myself, will you make the
          forward group? Attack the Vong guards first and open the
          entrance for the others. Chion, would you stand by to get us
          all out of there if this fails miserably? Kell, Fremea, up for
          the task? if Fremea spots something, above, or on the stairs,
          we decide quickly based on what it is, but move down and meet
          it in the open seems the best strategy.

            Arawn, It is probably not the best of plans, but the risk of
          delay is great as well. Strong objections, then please voice
          them now. Else I am willing to receive that Mind Shield.

            And for your safety (addressing the girl) stay at the back
          of the group, but do not trail more than a few metres behind.
          I am not sure it is safe down here or I would suggest you stay.
          Stay close, stay silent, and I am sure we will get you out of
          here."

            Fremea just nods at Unali. "It would be good for me to have
          the mind shield too." She then hovers around, seeming impatient.

            Z'leyra states, "I can only cast Mind Shield on those that I
          first contact with Mind Sending. For those that agree I will make
          a minimal Mind Sending to contact their minds then cast Mind
          Shield on them."

            Ha'Kell thinks for all of three seconds, then politely
          turns down the Mind Shield.  There isn't much there to shield
          he thinks, smiles, then says, "Thanks for the offer.  Whilst
          it may help, hopefully we can defeat the brain without
          getting that close."

            "I understand," Arawn replied to Unali, acknowledging her
          concerns. "It's just something about this doesn't feel right
          but I'll go along with the plan."

            "I can form a Battle Mind with those in the forward group
          if the three of you are willing," he said looking from Unali
          to Farseeker and Raban. "And if any are interested I can also
          increase ones battle might, invoking the Fist of Battle, for
          anyone wielding a sword or striking unarmed for a time, enhance
          armor for period, or turn us invisible. A blessing can also be
          performed by either Raban or myself.

            As to the Mind Shield, I can cast it but in truth I am but a
          novice with that spell and not sure if the defense afforded will
          be worth the cost."

            As he waited to hear what the others wished he added, "I'll
          cast these spells as needed, at least the Battle Mind, but each
          casting takes time and drains mana that might be needed later."

            His thoughts drifted back to the first time they encountered
          a creature like this, when Ben'dar sensed what was likely this
          World-Brain when he connected to the Lake Oca guardian using
          the Claw.

            "In the meantime, while we prepare and head up, perhaps it
          might prove worthwhile to go over what we may know of the Brain.

            I recall Ben'dar sensing a greater creature, likely the World-
          Brain, when he bonded with the Lake Oca guardian using the Claw.
          I believe he mentioned that he did not sense malice or evil, only
          a desire to guard, to perform it's duty or program. He was able
          to use this bond to distract that brain from killing Bohusara,
          sending it the sensation that a greater threat appeared that
          needed to be guarded against.

            We might not have the Claw but perhaps I or another can
          attempt to commune with it in an effort to influence it.

            In addition, it seemed to react very unpleasantly to
          electricity, vanishing beneath the water and shocking Ben'dar
          into unconsciousness for a short time, I imagine from the shared
          sensation of pain. And afterwards we found it dead on the shore
          of the lake, possibly killed by the lightning if not Bohusara's
          creations. Knowing this in might be worthwhile to attempt to use
          Lightning and similar magics on it as they might prove especially
          effective.

            And if we can get the prisoner out of the area we might be
          able to use the contents of the barrels as a conductor, assuming
          they hold water, and electrocute the rest of the Vong in the
          area."

            He paused, a thoughtful expression on his face as he considered
          something. "I believe the Sidh gods, or at least my parents, were
          with us at Lake Oca and I believe they will bless us now, due
          to both threat of Vong and the Eldest Serpents connection to
          this place. I would pray for their blessing for our success and
          welcome any who wish to join in prayer."

            Will nods and says, "It's good to move out... beats waiting."

          [Time: 2:51:25pm - 2:53:17pm]

            Farseeker turns away from the group and faces the stairs.  HE
          rolls his eyes at the Alfar going over about the Brain.  He
          thinks to himself - if it is alive it can be killed that's all
          I need to know.  The warrior sighs when he hears the Alfar
          offering to talk to the Brain and commune with it.  He turns
          his head around and speaks.  "Tell you what.  You talk to it
          while I kill it.  The distraction of it sucking out your spine
          with those tentacle things should be a good distraction."  He
          smiles smugly.

            Caladan leans on his magical war staff and raises a hand to
          bring attention.  "I can do lightning as well against the Brain.
          In fact this here can do it."  He taps his staff.  "But I'm a
          bit more powerful in fire."

            Ben'dar then claps his hands and says. "Now let's kill some
          Vong!"  He then steps forward to the stairs.

            As Farseeker turns to face the stairs he begins to settle into
          his military training.  As leader of 200 men he can organize the
          tactics and organize the groups based on skills.  He doesn't want
          to disregard away Unali's orders so adapts to them.  "Okay.
          Unali and myself will take the left entrance guard.  Raban and
          Arawn will take the right guard.    Caladan and Ben'dar will come
          behind for support.  Caladan will need to get ready to cast his
          spells.  Ben'dar should defend him then fight if spells are cast.
          Will, I suggest since your not as fast now that you use your bow
          to fire on the other guards in the cave.  Once the forward group
          is in battle Z'leyra, Kiet and Kell can join.  Kell and Kiet can
          throw their spears and javelins as the elementals battle the
          brain.  Kiet if you can help Kell and Lin with defense.  Lin and
          Chion can stay back for reinforcements.  We don't know how this
          brain will handle multiple people.  It could have the power to
          control all of us.  But maybe it will be over taxed. These
          groups are good to help fight your partner who may be controlled.
          Chion and Fremea should keep our back watch the stairs.  Let's
          move out!"

            As Ben'dar gets to the steps a tremor occurs through out the
          mountain. It rocks for about 3 seconds then ends as the earthquake
          suddenly ends.

            Farseeker taps Ben'dar's shoulder and whispers. "If Raban goes
          berserk take him out as quickly as you can with Chion.  If I got
          berserk kill me here." He raises his tunic to reveal a piece of
          chainmail just above his waist which is devoid of armor.

            Ben'dar nods but does not say anything.  He knows he could be
          taken down easily but the three big threats are Raban, Chion and
          Farseeker.  Farseeker alone could take out half the party before
          he was killed.  Raban could do that without breaking a sweat.

            Farseeker motions for others to climb the steps.  When he notices
          Arawn he grabs his arm.  "I will not hesitate to kill the Brain.
          You will have seconds to talk to it if you need to.  But if he
          commands other troops through that portal we are lost.  I would
          like that Battle Mind spell."  He looks to Raban.  "Raban maybe
          you should as well."  He knows that a battle mind might alert
          others if one of the other members suddenly lose mental control
          due to the Brain.

            Raban nods, "fine with me.  But I'll also take that Fist of
          Battle.  Did you say it could help with my hands? I can bless
          others as we get near the cave."  Raban knows that his hands
          could kill in one blow but to do it even harder would quicken
          the battle in their favor.

          [Time: 2:53:17pm - 2:56:00pm]

            The group begins their climb up the 300 feet of steps to
          the first cave.  Normally would be a fast 30 seconds of walking
          but being cautious the group takes their time.  Fremea visible
          takes to the outside and hovers 2-3 flights of stairs up above
          the group.  She readies her bow just in case.  She also takes
          a side glance at the other stairs on the other side of the large
          chamber.  It would take a good while for the Vong to get to this
          side but never know what is on side to help them.

            Farseeker then recalls the girl and tells her.  "Stay with
          Chion."  He points to the sailor.  "Yes the large man.  He'll
          protect you.  Do not enter the cave."

            Farseeker leaves the girls to find Kell and Caladan.  "How long
          do you need to summon the rocks and use your fireball?"

            Caladan quickly answers.  "At least ten seconds for a good
          fireball.  The staff maybe 3-6 seconds for the lightning."

            Fremea hovers nearby watching the others ascend.  They
          joked about one lone Vong attacking them.  They'll soon find
          it was much more.

            Sure enough the first slew of Vong warriors are found.  One,
          two, three and much more.  Clearly they are all dead from arrows
          likely from Fremea.  Some are pelted with arrows up to four
          in one body. Some heads, noses, necks and cheeks also  have
          a arrow or two on random warriors.  By the time the group
          gets near the top area just below the Brain cave a total of
          20 warriors including the one on the ground are found.  So
          that means that Fremea single-handedly killed 19.

          [Time: 2:56:00pm - Current]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next Update....Friday...

          GM: Ok.  We've finally started to move through.  I had hoped
              the week off would allow me to know who wanted what on
              terms of spells.  For final actions.  But based on emails
              nothing came on.  So we'll move on.  This Debbie storm
              caused a lot of damage to mom's house.  Den got a bit
              flooded.  So will have to replace carpet and such  So
              these things happen.  We'll move on and hope this thing
              recovers our sanity and helps stress.  We may have no
              control over life but we can these things we call our
              characters.

          GM: Rough sketch of plans -

              Raban, Arawn, Unali, Farseeker - Forward attack (Left
                 and Right guards).

              Caladan, Ben'dar - Bows, Melee and spells on second attack

              Will - Bow as reinforcement combatant

              Z'leyra, Lin, Kiet, Kell - Backup melee with Spear/Javelins

              Chion, Girl - Stairs as backup

              Fremea - Hovering outside stairs

              Spells wanted -
                Raban     - Battle Mind, Fists of battle, Bless
                Unali     - Mind Shield
                Farseeker - Battle Mind, Bless (Raban)
                Fremea    - Mind Shield
                Will      - Mind Shield

              Note: Keep in mind Mind Shield will include a EL0 Mind
              Sending for connection.

              Comments -
                Chion - Assuming your still reading you will have to
                  control him.  So if the team needs a quick teleport
                  escape you have to act.

                Fremea - Since your sort of not slated for the cave
                  itself do you still want the mind shield?

                Kell - Will assume you send the elementals behind the
                  brain in the south from the wall.  I will have to
                  check your range to see if this is able to be done.
                  Well just checked.  Bit of a problem.  Range is EL
                  so that's 20 or 30 if you use the language.  Brain
                  is at least 70 feet or more from the entrance.  So
                  can't send them behind it.  But could from the stairs
                  inside the cave.  Then they can lumber toward it.  Remind
                  me on the spells or language if you use that for the things
                  to cast.  .

                Kiet- Who is your target for the 1 Javelin? Brain or
                  another Vong?

          GM: If there are other actions you will need to let me know.
              The time it takes to go up the stairs - 53:17-56;00
              will be good for spell casting.  So you can have almost
              a 2.5 minute time frame.  Course keep in mind long
              spell/actions will delay the group but simple spells
              can allow you to catch up on the stairs.  Once the
              battle begins there will be no retro actions for spell
              castings.  Monday I can start the battle.  I will do
              the spell casting pre-combat and once the attack on the
              forward guards and/or the elementals attack first I'll
              slow down to 2 phases per update.

          GM: Spells active

              Will    -   Armor Transmutation

              * = Soon to end (next update?].  I may NOT post this
              info unless I remember to do so. :)

          GM: Maps

              ----------------------------
              Mount Side View -
                Scale - 1 Column = 15 feet
                        1 Row = 50 feet  North=wall facing screen
              [Looking from one wall to the other wall.  Toward North
               wall with back to south wall.  Looking east/west.]

                             1         2         3         4         5
                    12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
                   I###              Fake Vong ceiling             ###IA
                   I#                                                #IB
                   I#                                                #IC
                   I#                                                #ID
                   I#                                                #IE
                   I#                                                #IFCave
          Cave 1-> `#                                                #`G<-#4
                   I#                                                #IH
          Cave 2-> `#                                                #`I<-#5
                   I#                                                #IJ
          Cave 3-> `#                                 World Brain--> #`K<-#6
                   I#                                                #IL
                   I#                                                #IM
                   I#                 @ <-Portal                     #IN
         Mount     I#T                                              T#IO
         Ground --?I#]A_A_A_A_A_A_A_A__________________V__V__V__V__V[#IP
                   I                       Y<X                        IQ
                   I                      Z                           IR

              I = Rock wall, #=Vong ladder structure
              ` = Entrance to cave [open mostly]
              _ = Rock floor (Row P) ground floor
              A = Vong Bowl Home (10' high)
              V = Vong flyer
              T = Vong Tower (30' high)
              ],[=Base of Vong tower (wooden)
              X = Rabbit Hole opening 30' wide below cavern to tunnels
              Y = Tunnel of Treasure/Sentry cave (under ground floor)
              Z = Pit/Lake caves below elevation of Treasure cave tunnel
             1-6= Side caves on east/west walls

    * World Brain cave

          1         2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%/      A   %% = Rock Wall
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\%%%%%\__    B
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \%%/  \__ C
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/%%\__/   D
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/S P**** \%%/  \__ E
   %%V  \__/  \VV/  \__/  \__/****_/%%\__/   F
  ,,,\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \**** \%%/  \__ G
  ]]]/  \__/  \__/  \__/P \__/  \_S/%%\__/   H
  ```\__/  \__/H \__/  \__/  \__/  \%%/  \__ I
   %%V  \__/  \H_/  \__/ @@@ /  /__/%%\__/   J
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/  \@@@@@  /   \%%/  \__ K
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \__/@@@@@ / \__/%%\__/   L
   %%\__/  \__/VV\__/  \_@@@ /  /  \%%/  \__ M
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_/   \__/%%\__/   N
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%/  \__ O
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\__/   P
           1         2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901

    Portal - Center is L29 going diagonal bottom left to top right.
             30' wide and 30' high shimmering portal
    World Brain = @@ 25' by 20' wide.  Tentacles are 15' long
    * = Wooden Barrels

    V = Vong Warrior   [F4, J4, F14, F15, M14, M15]
    H = Human Brigader [I14, J14]
    S = Shaper         [E26, H33]
    P = Human Prisoner [E29, H23]
    ],'= Stairs ledge to stairs