[pnpgm] Game Update #209 - File #1367 - Magical recon

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Thu Feb 16 03:58:06 CET 2012

  HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     NPC...................Captain.Lin.......Warrior.Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

     Game Update #209 in sequence (file #1368)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra pauses and asks "Anyone want to go invisible with...

          While waiting for those that might join her, she triggers the
          Speed enchantment in her boots. Then she will cast Invisibilty
          Sh EL4 and proceed across towards the Vong while keeping
          those touching her in contact.
        GM: Ack. It is good to plan but the spells would go out before
            plans are formed.  So best to do and remind me later.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions[
          Kell takes the offered mirror [from another post, but pretty
          sure it was from Z] and goes scouting up the hole.  He very
          carefully does a 360 look using the mirror.  He's checking for
          anything guarding the mouth of the tunnel we'll be using to
          exit.

          Reporting back to the group with "____________"  [GM, please
          fill in the blank here]

          [Or he can take offer of invisiblity.  ]
        GM: Ack. Z'leyra didn't get the info in the post.  So never offered
            the mirror.  Sorry guess missed the hint.  So above is moot.

        From Will: [Re: Actions]
          Forgot the list again

          OOC:  It's a good thing time stops (or moves very slowly)
          when nobody posts.

          Will says  "befiore ferdinand (with a shake of his head in
        GM: Ack. Time still moves.  The talking and actions in the last
            update was about 2 minutes.  This is why I add time tick
            marks to the post.  Not just for grins.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Kiet steps forward and says "Kell, hold on a second..."He...

          Mana Powers are awesome spells....fun to play with.  Have to
          be careful with them, however...especially with Sidh around.
          Too many ways to accidently injure them.

          Scott, Should the spell fail, I would be happy to re-cast it
          once.
        GM: Ack. I can't recall the origin on the Powers.  I made them
            and think Richard tweaked them.  I think I saw it from
            a old simple wizard vs wizard game that had a sphere like
            magic in it.   Think that's where I got the idea from.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Kell listens to Kiet then replies, "Happily you can do that.
          I'm rather attached to my head.  Do it now, we need to keep
          moving."
        GM: Ack.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea decides that all the talking is boring and walks back
          into the "treasure" room and starts to rummage around in
          it. She thinks there could be something useful in there
          for what they might need.
        GM: Ack.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          "The summons was gifted to me. I was unaware of the...

         [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

         [Time: 2:21:08 pm]

           As the party watches the creature speak of strange things
         in the upper world, some are eager to move on.  Who knows
         how long this reference will take.  It could be seconds
         or hours.  Even Arawn tries to rack his brain on the named
         creature but doesn't know it.  He might be a demi god but
         even he has his limited knowledge.

           Z'leyra pauses and asks "Anyone want to go invisible with me
         to sneak over to the Vong? You will have to maintain contact or
         become visible. Come here and I will cast it, stay touching me
         till ready to swing at the Vong."

           Only Ben'dar seems eager to get invisible and move.  The others
         are seemingly hesitant for the quick plan.  Some do know it
         is a good plan but what then?  Ben'dar becomes visibly upset
         when not turned invisible and killing Vong now.

           Will says, "before," ferdinand, with a shake of his head
         in his direction, "gets excited we better tell him the plan
         ...what is the plan."

           "I could teleport up above the crater.  High enough that I
         would just look like a speck from below.  Then when the
         commotion starts if in addition to Vong running to attack our
         friend some move to guard something important we might know
         where to look.  Course if nothing much happens
."

           Kiet watches the Merkabah stalk the side of the Chariot
         away from Arawn and seem to pay attention to the strange
         creatures.

           Kiet steps forward and says, "Kell, hold on a second..."  He
         moves up close to whisper in Kell's ear "I have a spell that
         allows me to send a mana sphere to remote places and see what
         is in its vicinity...it can be done with a lot less chance of
         injury."

           Kell listens to Kiet then replies, "Happily you can do that.
         I'm rather attached to my head.  Do it now, we need to keep
         moving."

           Seeing Kell agree, looking over to Unali "If you will permit
         me, I can send something look through that hole with little to
         no danger to look around."

           Unali nods faintly and seems to be distracted by the sudden
         appearance of the earthquakes.  Three in the last few minutes
         is not a good sign.  It could be natural in which case the
         thing could be very active and under everyone's feet or Vong
         made in some vile reason.  She hopes it might be just Vong made
         else at least if the volcano erupts it will take the Vong with
         the party.

           Kiet moves from the tunnel where the treasure cave is and
         into the side tunnel leading to the hole.  Kiet tags along
         and is curious on the spell.

           As Kiet scouts with the mana sphere Kell asks, "Why not
         tunnel to the sides? I have an idea..."

           Farseeker tags along just in case they need a person to
         kill a Vong since the tunnel to the hole is pretty much
         empty of party members.  "Based on the distance it might be
         a good idea to dig to the other areas.  But you have to
         figure out rock thickness if not solid granite to soft sand."

           KEll considers his plan to use magic and creatures to dig the
         tunnel.  But if they had the power they would need help.  Some
         swim through dirt like air but they don't leave a empty tunnel.
         Kell knows they might need shovels and other gear to at least
         make a minimum tunnel.

           Outside in the outer tunneL Arawn stands tall and looks to
         the Merkabah still wondering how long the named creature takes
         to give birth.  He doesn't know the answer and suspects the
         Merkabah thinks he should simply because he is a Alfar.  That
         is the problem with being a demi-god the fine line of knowing
         everything and nothing.

           "The summons was gifted to me. I was unaware of the it's
         nature until you arrived else I would have," Arawn said in
         response to the Merkabah's commented on preparation. "But
         your presence is welcome."  Arawn adds while looking around
         the tunnel.

           The Merkabah dusts the chariot clear of dust that has rained
         from the ceiling.  He says nothing for a few seconds then
         without turning. "One should prepare when you summon another.
         It could be me attacking everyone here." Without looking he
         waves a hand to the group. "That is the rules for summoning
         done by mortals."

           Arawn takes it as a thin threat but realizes it has been
         several minutes already.  Most likely if he was free to attack
         Arawn he would have done so by now.  No.  Maybe this coin had
         special ability to by pass that?  Arawn hopes and gives a slight
         prayer to his parents for that.

           As plans were made to split the group he asked, "What of
         Qux'Tux'eluv? If he is willing, shall one of us join him in the
         sky or is there another part he'll play in our plans?"

           Caladan steps forward to the Merkabah. In Marentian he
         speaks to the others, "the person would have to be a good
         one with the bow or such or magic."  Turning back to Katai
         he adds, "once our friend exits the tunnel.  All stealth is
         gone.  We can go invisible all we want but they'll know some
         are here to attack them.  Just keep this in mind. "  He
         stares at the strange harnessed horses and wonders how the
         creature can understand Katai?

           Arawn sees Kell, Farseeker and Kiet leave the tunnel going
         into the tunnel where the hole is located.

           When the others discussed a means to search the open space
         above Arawn spoke up. "If we're heading up it might be worth
         it to investigate the towers in the 'corners' of the cave as
         well as the mounds first. We can discover if any guards are
         there that might spot us and then, either teleporting or
         traveling invisibly, take over a tower and use it as cover
         while we spy on the rest of the area. We'll also be closer
         to the ladders that lead to the higher caves when the time
         comes to move."

           Caladan nods, "good idea.  Once they come down here and check
         out the other caves.  They'll know the prisoners and other Vong
         are dead.  We'll have to act fast."

           Fremea decides this talking is a bit tedious and returns to the
         treasure cave to explore it more.  Soon Arawn visits in a minute
         or two and uses his senses to explore the room as well.  The
         human body displayed no sign of magic and that would make sense
         to ally with magic haters to have no magic.

           Fremea is curious about the material found.  The vast majority
         of villages in the Empire are dirt poor.  Maybe a village right
         up against some of the 20 cities might have some decent traffic
         and trade.  But most are villages with maybe if lucky, one or two
         business stores and if then maybe a barn for a Inn.

           Clearly the typical items like farm tools like shovels, picks,
         pitchforks and the like are found.  The simple villager weapon.
         The few weapons that are found are light swords, light blades like
         daggers or knives and some hunting style weapons like light bows.
         There are a slew of cheaply made arrows and a few quivers.  Armor
         is non existent would be expected from villagers who only wear
         light clothing.  But there are a few pieces of leather including
         suits of leather, gloves and helmets.  They might have been taken
         by village champions or retrieved in patrols of Katai military?

           Arawn inspects one chest that is full of coins.  Most of the coins
         are brass bits but there are a few copper coins.  It is clear
         villagers would rarely see Silver or Gold coins.  Fremea peeks over
         the edge and notices the coins probably totaling in several hundreds
         of brass bits.  Maybe a hundred at most copper coins.  A rich
         fortune for a village but to the party it would be a light day's
         work.  Arawn finds it uneasy to steal from villagers who must've
         spent a year's work getting paid for such low sums.

           Fremea scans the room and sees there are plenty of piles of
         clothing and small items like plates, mugs and utensils.  IT
         is clear the Vong had no reference on what is worth stealing.
         If they are to pay off the Peace Brigade to follow them they
         need more than this.  Unless they already paid them off well
         before now and this is the left overs?  Fremea notices a couple
         of barrels.  Going near them she finds they are full.  Looks like
         some wine and ale.  If the wine is expensive it could be a nice
         find.  But of all the puny treasure the small chest of gems and
         jewelry is decent.  Of course its not noble gems but at best
         middle class rubies and sapphires.  An assortment of obvious
         rings, necklaces, bracelets and other trinkets worn by women
         who were daughters or wives.

           Arawn notices a smaller chest about length of 2 feet by 2
         feet is besides the larger chest that holds the coins.  Arawn
         picks it up and opens the brass chest.  Arawn smiles a bit
         when he notices there are copper, silver and gold coins in
         this chest.  But unlike the dirty and even half rotten coins
         the villagers have this is from likely Empire vaults.  It
         likely might have been taken from patrols or noble payrolls.
         It is hard to tell how many without spilling them out but it
         could be a few hundred silver and almost as much gold?  But
         the mix of coins is hard to tell without further inspection.

           All the while Arawn and Fremea scan the room and items for
         magic but do not find any trace of it.  Of course if it is
         Katai it would be rare.  Possibly destroyed if discovered
         or taken by Brigaders at first sight.

           Outside back in the tunnel where the party is, Caladan
         gets close to the chariot.  "We would not be amiss to warn
         you that the Vong have things that fly.  They will chase you.
         If the cavern above us is as large as they report they and
         you will have plenty of room to move about.  But the flying
         rocks can fire hot fiery objects..  The Vong on the ground
         will be no real threat.  They might try to fire things
         at you but you might be out of range.  I would go after
         the flying things and their pilots.  We have information
         they are on one side of the cavern."  Caladan looks at
         the strange horses. "They are beautiful steeds."

           The Merkabah snorts and nods.  "These Vong will see my
         arrow and die in fire."  He steps a foot closer and seems
         to see Caladan differently.  "You are like me.   I can
         sense it.  Even one of these are not what they say.  But
         you are well...balanced.  You also have the taint of death."

           Caladan turns to the creature, "that is because I died once
         already.  My friends and family saved me.  May I?"  He reaches
         up toward the horses.

           The Merkabah exhales and looks around, ending up at Caladan.
         "Once dead and back now? This is not normal for a mortal like
         you.  That upsets the Balance.  Yet you remain in deference
         to their will?"  The creature looks to the A'equin.  "Only
         one as myself can touch them.  You touch them at your own
         risk.  But this would let me and you know if the Will of the
         gods are in your favor."

           Lin stares at Caladan as he talks to the creature and raises
         his hand.  "Are you crazy?  I was stopped by doing that.  It
         is some demon trick."

           The Merkabah whirls around to face Lin behind him and grabs
         his sword by the top of his hilt but does not remove it.  It
         snorts and speaks in some unknown language.  Lin gets the idea
         and backs off.  But Raban and Chion step forward in case there
         is some incident while Farseeker, Arawn and others are absent.

           "I feel this is fate..."  Caladan reaches up to the A'equin
         near him and gets a inch from the beast.  Then as if grabbing
         a fly out of the air he places his hand down onto the horses
         side.  Caladan holds his breath for a few seconds then even
         more and realizes that nothing has killed him.  Caladan smiles
         and exhales.  Then he begins to rub the side of the horse and
         whisper to it.

           Ben'dar turns to Z'leyra, "they are nice but not even close
         to Tef'wo."

           While the treasure is dug through and the scene with the
         horses are going down, Kiet prepares his spell.  Standing
         under the large hole with Farseeker and Kell.  Kiet glances
         up to see the "roof" of the cavern.  From this side it
         is bumpy and looks like some meat pie.  From the recon done
         by Fremea it has to be Vong made maybe even a live animal
         that can close and open when the Flyers need to come and go.
         From the top side Fremea said it was solid but on the inner
         surface Kiet and the other two can see a flicker of light.
         The animal or thing must allow light to go through and give
         the cavern a light source.  At this time of day the sun is
         just below the zenith at noon.  Based on the angle of the
         light the acrobat can see where north is probably based on
         where the sun would be in the sky at this time of day.
         The ramp to the top of the hole climbs upwards and based
         on this angle when exiting the hole the towering wall in
         front is the north wall.  If that is the cave the hole
         in the side of the mountain seen by Fremea must be on the
         left upper cave area.

           The roof is some 800 feet give or take a hundred feet
         above the hole.  The light that seems to filter through
         the roof is in light shadow but it does seem to fill the
         entire cavern with a glow of a typical tavern with a decent
         set of candles.  This means moving about might not be as
         easy in the open.  Maybe once the sun sets the place will
         be darker but that is four or so hours away.  It is unclear
         at this angle if there are torches or other devices to
         bring supplemental light.

           Kiet exhales and prepares his spell.  Standing dead center
         in the center of the area below the rabbit hole he speaks
         the words.  With a gesture like a baker making a ball of
         flour for some treat the spell is formed.  To Kiet's eyes
         he can see a almost translucent sphere about the size of
         a fist form between his two hands in the air.  It seems to
         shimmer as it floats.  Kiet can see it clearly as he is
         the creator.  But to most humans it might only be seen as
         a faint after image unless they are very empathic.   His
         teacher said those that are empathic can see it as if a kid's
         toy ball normally in front of them.  But Kiet realizes that
         the one big advantage he has is the Vong are not empathic.
         In fact their sheer nature to torture anyone shows they
         have no such thing as mercy or empathy.  This will make
         the sphere invisible to all but maybe the rare Vong.  If
         anyone maybe the Outcasts might see it.  Of course if
         prisoners or Brigaders are around they might.  But again the
         Brigaders are likely less empathic than the typical human.

           Farseeker shifts his foot, "don't see anything. Did it
         work?" The warrior looks to Kell.

           Kell also does not see the sphere.  But he smiles a bit
         when his sense of mana detection shows the distinct aura
         of the sphere.  If this is a sphere of mana then the thing
         would be seen by creatures who sense mana.  This means that
         the flyers or the dog beasts might be able to sense them.
         Kell nods and watches the sphere move a bit upward.

           In Kiet's mind eye he can see the cavern clearly as if he
         had his eyes close.  As he concentrates he realizes he could
         have sent the sphere at its max distance rather than start
         here.  His teacher never showed him that trick but assumes
         it might work?

           Kiet directs the sphere up and into the large main cavern
         that marks this as a mountain from the outside but is one
         large empty area.  With a flick of his finger he directs the
         sphere to the left toward what he knows to be the structures.

         [Time: 2:22:58 pm]

           The sphere moves westward toward the structures.  It seems
         to move about 10 feet per second.

         [Time: 2:23:14 pm]

           After about 10 seconds the sphere can finally see something.
         Up to this point it could only see the ground.  In front of
         its view the sphere can see about 30 feet.  The structure
         is at Kiet like a upside down soup bowl.  It looks like a bowl
         was just tossed and fell on the ground. It is brown and a bit
         of red in color.  There are no sides to it or what must be
         windows or holes.  Now at about 150 feet west of the rabbit
         hole the sphere stops to inspect the structure.

           While it looks like a bowl the texture is like a splash of
         meat was tossed around it.  Maybe the bowl fell and the soup
         after it? But it seems to be very Vong like based on how they
         seem to use nature and animals.  Kiet directs the sphere to
         the left and then to the right.  But the texture is the same.
         It almost seems like veins and grooves in the structure as if
         the thing is alive or half dead.  It looks like the Vong 'door'
         that leads to the pit and pond caves.

           The bowl structure is about 10 feet wide and 8 feet tall.
         Kiet almost thinks it to be tent like structures. If the
         villagers saw many of them it makes sense they are living
         areas for the Vong.

           Kiet pushes the sphere to enter the structure from the
         side.  it seems to take a second and soon the structure
         is seen.  It is dim with what seems to be some light
         lichen along the walls to give it a dim yellow, green
         and red hue.  Look at the roof the sphere notices a
         structure that reminds Kiet of a starfish that might
         be a mouth.  Maybe this is how air and maybe smoke
         might be sent out?  But the mouth itself is open so it
         must be using through other methods.

           The structure is very spartan and Kiet can spot two
         Vong warriors on the ground.  They are wearing their
         Vong armor and some leather.  But this the first time
         the Vong are not wearing all their spikes and leathers.
         this must be their down time as the two are seemingly
         asleep with their eyes closed.  Along their sides
         their amphistaff lies.  There are some leather packs
         but when the sphere inspects them the light pitch
         black in the bag like things and can't tell what is in
         them.  But it can't be more than food he guesses.

           Kiet was right to think this to be a tent like area.
         Glancing around the sphere notices a lighter shade of
         brown and tan that looks to be a 'door'.  This must
         be how the structure is opened.

         [Time: 2:23:20 pm]

           Kiet pushes forward and through the opposite wall.  He
         moves the sphere toward the next structure.  It is 20
         feet beyond this one and the same design and texture.
         Entering he finds this one empty except the leather
         bags and what looks like a bone of some eaten small animal?

           Kiet moves to the next one and in this one he finds two
         Vong warriors sitting across from each other.  They seem to
         be doing some coufee game.  Where one tries to hit the other's
         hand before the hand is withdrawn.  From the look of one
         of the other's hand a finger is half torn off by the coufee.
         But the Vong seem to be enjoying the game.

           On the fourth structure in that same row this one is occupied
         by a single Vong.  But this one is dressed in simple leather
         and no armor.  There is no sign of weapons either.  He seems to
         be shorter and Kiet figures this one to be a possible Outcast.
         He is holding some animal thing on his lap as if working on it.
         But Kiet knows time is running out.  He has less than a minute
         or half that to look around.  If the Outcast is working on some
         boots for a Shaper then so be it.

         [Time: 2:23:52 pm]

           Kiet exits the last structure and notices the west wall is
         about 30 feet away.  He glances south and north but doesn't
         see beyond his sphere's range.  Beyond that range is seems
         to blur away into a clouded view.  Kiet places the sphere to
         look up and a few feet to the north is the ladder structure.

           Kiet has seen some noble inns in Sivas build what they call
         fire exit outside the side of the building.  It is some new
         thing and some are seen made with metal which seems a waste of
         money.  In his island nation no such things exist.  But looking
         up the structure has a wide step system that is from the ground
         to the next level.  The next level is about 10 feet off the
         ground and then it twists to the other side from a level position
         about 10 feet wide.  The ladder then climbs in steps to the
         next floor for another flat area and then twists to the side.
         This continues on and on likely in a zig zag method.  So you
         climb about 10 feet up diagonally.  Then flat area to cross
         about 10 feet to the other side.  Then turn and climb the
         next diagonal series of steps in the opposite direction.  To
         repeat all over again.

           For fighting it is a bit of a open area and angles will
         allow viewing of others up and down.  But it also will allow
         missile weapons to be used.  The ladder system though is not
         metal but some hard structure like rock.  It is clearly Vong
         made and not natural.  While a segment of steps could be
         destroyed with some effort the whole thing would take
         a great deal to take down.

           Kiet dives northward to the what should be the sentry tower.
         Slowing down he finds the structure 30 feet away.  It is a
         box set on top of four struts that support the box.  The
         struts are about 30 feet high making those in the tower about
         30 feet off the ground.  This means they have a good view of
         all the bowl-homes.  They might even see the rabbit hole and
         the flyers across the other side of the cave.

           The struts are made of thick wood and the ladder that hangs
         over the side to the ground is a hard rope ladder of some form
         of leather.  Going to the top the sphere shows Kiet there are
         three Vong warriors.  One is leaning against the far wall on
         the west side of the box.  The other two are on the north and
         south corners of the east side looking in those directions over
         the bowl-homes and field.

           The warriors all have their typical armor and weapons.  On
         the ground are those leather bags.  Next to one bag a hand
         held device is seen.  From the shape and description from
         Farseeker it is a hand held bug firing thing.  Their range
         has to be light but if they fire bugs this is their form of
         missile fire.  There seems to be no device for viewing distance
         so the Vong seem to depend on their eyes only.

           Along the eastern edge of the box is a Orb sitting in solemn
         silence.  This means they could communicate with all or most
         of the base.  The rope ladder could be pulled up but the
         defenses seem to be light.  The box itself is a wooden box
         with a wall that goes from the floor of the box just above
         the struts to mid abdomen.  The roof of the box is also wooden
         and pointed like a temple steeple.

           Kiet knows the recon is going well for the time but he knows
         he might only have 10 seconds left.  He quickly sends the
         sphere up along the wall to find the first of the cave.
         But as he does he finds his vision begin to fade out and
         then all together go dark. Either he has run out of time
         or the spell's range is too much.

           The first of the caves above the bowl homes and towers
         are about 300 feet up.  This should be just in his range
         but it might be out of bounds.  But Kiet is glad that at
         least one side of the cavern was inspected.  Now the
         structures must be quarters.

         [Time: 2:24:10 pm]

           Kiet tells the other two of the bowl homes.

           "Living areas?  There are some 30 the villagers say.
         If all are full that could be 90.  But if they are hit
         and miss we could assume maybe at least 30 Vong in them."

           Kiet begins to walk to the side tunnel back to inform
         the party of what he found.

           Kiet can recall several Vong walking between the structures
         or near the ladder.  He hopes that one of them does not decide
         to head this way to head down.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update....Monday...

         GM: Sorry for delay.  I tried to work on the update on my
             new computer. But I'm not so happy with the technique.
             I have dosbox where I can use this simple editor but
             it messes up the WinTV software while I listen to TV
             on the computer.  So means I can't tab over to chat
             or do another window.  I tried wordpad but its not
             that great.  Notepad seems fairly well but if I have
             the font wrong the columns I normally set (a 80 column
             text post - old school size alignment from BBS days)
             might mess up.  I could have lines that are stretched
             in the final form.  Openoffice has that funky half screen
             and multiple pane thing for more than a page.  That will
             take time to get used to.  I may just do it on the old
             computer and such until I figure out a better method.

         GM: Info on recon -

             Bowl homes - Upside bowls - 10 feet wide, 8 feet tall at zenith
                          Almost igloo shape.

             Ladders - 10 feet of stone steps diagonal up to flat area
               of 10 feet in length and 10 feet wide.  Where the other
               set of steps is on opposite side in opposite diagonal
               direction.  Think of modern skyscraper stairs.

               So from ground you have 10 stone steps that go up either
               one diagonal or the other.  This is about 10 feet from
               bottom to top of last step.  Then a flat surface 10 by 10'.
               The other side has the opposite set of steps in  identical
               design (10 steps 10').  This zig/zags in opposite directions.

                ----
                 \    \
                  \    <10'
                   \  /
                ---- <10'
               /
              /   a very crude example.

             Overall map - North is top of screen /I\

                  I%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%   X X X X                          %%%%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%% O X X X X               H H H H H  O %%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%%  X X X X               H H H H H    %%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%%' X X X X               H H H H H  '%%%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%%  X X X X       U       H H H H H    %%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%   X X X X               H H H H H     %%%%%%I
                  I%%%%% O X X X X               H H H H H  O  %%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%%  X X X X                            %%%%%%%I
                  I%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%I

         % = Rock wall
         X = Bowl Homes 10' at zenith height
         H = Vong flyers
         O = Raised observation post / tower 30' high
         U = Rabbit hole below this level is party's tunnel.
         ' = Vong ladder structure up

         Villagers say no caves are on the north and south walls.
         The caves starting 300' from this level are mid way or so
         on the wall along the ladder structures for entry.

         GM: If this is not much of help let me know I can give more
             info.  OF course the cave itself is rounded but the above
             is square.  The walls make the rounded edges.  But the
             field seen is square for ease of viewing.

         GM: Mana report updated as of this post with recent spells.