[pnpgm] Game Update #67 - File #560 - Party meets Fence

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Tue Jan 26 08:56:56 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #67 in sequence (file #560)

       From Tobie: [Re: Email issues]
         Anyone else getting a bounce back from Scott's email address? I
         just sent  him an email and it bounced instantly.

         Scott if you get this, is there another email I can send to?
         ---
         Ok, nvm - for some reason it seems to be working again. No idea
         what happened there.
       GM: Ack.  Sorry.  No other email address for me.  Used to have
           the darktech for a decade or so but its closed now.  I'll
           comment more on this below.

       From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
         Kiet doesn't feel a great need to attend the meeting with the
         contact, except that he feels some responsibility to keeping Zhou
         safe.  As long as there are other escorts, though, Kiet would be
         happy to be left to his own devices.

         [Julis 24th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province, Shantou city]

           That first night in Shantou the party rests well.  The last
         few stragglers in the tavern finally come up well after midnight.
         The Blue Crystal Inn soon settles into a deep quiet as guests
         sleep and the guards patrol.  At the other inn it is a bit more
         rowdy with some guests getting drunk and have some wild bed time
         activities.  At the other inn there is no guards so it is good
         some watch, lock and in the case of Z'leyra bar the door.

           The night goes for everyone uneventful.  Those in the noble
         Inn sleep very well in the soft beds with hand washed sheets.
         Those in the other Inn sleep but wonder what all is in the
         sheets or under the bed.

                        -------------------------

         [Julis 25th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province, Shantou city]

           Dawn comes all too quickly.  For those sleeping after over
         two weeks of sleeping on the hard ground, the dawn means
         no more warm bed.  Soon some get up and head downstairs
         for breakfast.

           At the other Inn, Kiet finds the horse has been delivered and
         settled into the nearby stable.  A man waits for the final
         payment agreed on.  To ensure its the right horse both Kiet
         and Ben'dar inspect it.

           Those at the other Inn decide to head to the Blue Crystal Inn
         to meet the others for the day's plans and breakfast.  Food
         at the other inn could be less tolerable than a decent cook
         under the eyes of a noble.

           This morning the tavern is almost full.  There must be around
         50 other guests down here at tables and the bar.  It is hard
         to tell noble status other than how folks sit.  Folks tend
         to talk to or reply to one person and that usually is the leader.
         Like that of Zhou's own group.  But as to who might be a local
         petty noble, knight or higher is unclear.  Other than those
         dressed in military uniforms most seem to be low nobles of
         young to middle age.  The highest ranking military insignia
         seems to be Captain in the room.

           Juices, tea, milk and coffee is all served.  Some try the
         various teas that Katai seems to specialize in.  Several enjoy
         the strong brews from the jungles in the south.  Hams, sausage,
         bacon, eggs, fruit and breads are all served among other like
         meals of assorted forms from side dishes to soups.

           Zhou speaks up. "I and Arawn will head to meet the contact.
         Likely will not return till mid-afternoon.  But for sure by
         dinner time.  Who will join us?"

           Caladan chimes in, "I will."

           Farseeker nods, "I'll join as escort.  Going shopping with
         the girls isn't my idea of fun." He glances at Kell and grins.

           Zhou turns to Kiet.  "I might decide to go shopping myself.
         I might need someone to carry my goods." He sighs then smirks
         a bit. "But I understand you have plans to buy some much needed
         items so I'll release you for today.  I'm sure my burly guards
         can help me."

           The party soon breaks up into three groups.  Those going to
         the markets, the contact and those staying at the Inns and
         catching up on sleep or lounging around.

           Those going to the markets walk as horses just have no room
         in those areas.  It is shoulder to shoulder in some places.
         Kell, Kiet and Z'leyra head to the markets.

           Kell finds that custom tailor shop and is glad to see it open.
         He enters and gives details on Raban's size.  But the tailor
         laughs. "No one is that tall and big.  Be gone!  Good joke
         you play."  But Kell sticks around and takes some time to
         convince the man it is no joke. Soon the tailor sighs. "For
         such a custom order I should see this man in person.  It only
         improves the measurements.  Send him here and I can do it.
         But just large clothes could take a few days.  We have bundles
         of cloth but obviously nothing in that size exists likely in
         all of Katai. For a few more coins I could get a team to
         work on the sewing but it would depend on what he wants."

           Kell agrees and then gets the hours.  He then recalls that
         Raban would be reluctant to leave Fremea.  He asks the tailor
         if for a few coins he would be willing to go to the Inn to
         take those measurements.

           "Blue Crystal Inn? Of course!  Your friend must be a noble."
         His eyes brighten and gleam.  Kell realizes what that gleam
         is as he has used it himself.  Greed drives even the stubborn
         merchants.  "I will go in a few hours and find him.  I'm sure
         he can't be hard to find."

           The group finds another mixed shop market and streets of
         shops.  Z'leyra finds a few more healing and herbalist shops
         that seem to have the same items she found the day before.  Most
         such items are standard prices and can't be haggled for.  When
         you sell things for brass bits the thought of price hikes is
         unheard of.

           In this area Z'leyra and the others also find at least 5 jewelry
         shops.  All seem to have a guard, old or young couple who own
         the store eager to help.  Most of the shops have good selections
         from middle class to upper class price levels.  It is clear no
         peasant could afford these shops.

           There are hundreds of medium sized, thousands of small size and
         dozens of large size pieces in the shops.  What is found in
         most common shops is found here.  There are the usual diamonds,
         jades, pearls, rubies, sapphires and the like.  Everything from
         pinky rings, earrings up to full noble wedding head pieces.  But
         as the group scans the items they find many quality pieces from
         as little as a few silver to as much as 3 figures of gold.  But
         alas there is no large, flawless items at least from the glances
         in the display cases.  It takes a trained jeweler to notice
         some are slightly cloudy.  As expected and warned such items
         that would allow magic on them is not to be found here.  Maybe
         in the black markets.

           A couple hours later a weapon shop is found.  Everything from
         simple pocket knives to lances is found here.  Even a couple
         of Arbalests.  It is clear while the vast population of Katai
         do not use weapons the arms business is going well.  If not
         for the military, criminals but for self defense.  Next door
         the merchant has a partner setup in a armor shop.  Most are
         shelves of leathers but there are armors of all types all the
         way up to a couple suits of plate.  Most seem of decent quality.
         In the shield section Kiet finds a banded shop among a few
         that seems to fit him the best.  he and Kell haggle for the
         final price.  After some time the merchant agrees to 26 copper
         instead of the 32 copper he was asking for.  Feeling out haggled
         the merchant agrees so not to lose more coins.  The shield is
         in good shape and appears to be decent manufacture.

           It soon nears noon and the heat bears down.  The trio decides to
         visit a tavern for lunch.  After a good lunch and some cool
         drinks the trio sets out again.

           Kell decides to look for the warehouse company that has the
         symbol on Arawn's parchment.  Every so often he would ask
         merchants or vendors about the symbol.  He would get basic
         suggestions on where to look but no specifics.  It seems logos
         in this area aren't taken into account more than company names.
         the trio enters a less crowded warehouse district where such
         shipping companies are setup.  This area of town is bustling with
         more wagon and horse traffic than in the markets.  After the 6th
         person asked a merchant who owns a message courier service does
         recognize the symbol based on Kell's description.  Kell is given
         directions.

           After some extensive walking the trio finds a medium sized
         warehouse.  The trio circles the two story building and finds
         the logo.  It quickly becomes clear it looks like the symbol.
         A shop next door seems to be their office.  But when the group
         asks a single man simply tells the warehouse has been sold to
         a new owner.  The old owners are moved out as of a few days
         ago.  The man who the trio realizes is a guard for the place
         and another small warehouse orders the trio to leave or he'll
         summon the city guards.  From the windows it is clear the
         warehouse seems empty from the few clouded windows seen into.

           Under the eyes of the guard the trio soon has little choice
         but to leave.  They make a note of where the place is just
         in case.  Soon the trio returns to the market area and
         decides to do a bit of more shop looking.

           Going down a different street the group comes across a
         lumber company that takes up a large area of the street.
         The sign out front reads "Shu Li Lumber."  Kell decides to
         scan the place and finds it mostly a typical lumber yard
         cutting and preparing wood for resale.  Wagons come and go
         with full and empty loads.  Next to the shop is a shop that
         seems to sell some of the wood in more specialized forms for
         furniture or item manufacture.  The wood makes the shop smell
         sweet.  Kell and Z'leyra explore the shop to find many types
         of wood from simple everyday woods to more exotic mixed types
         like ebony, ancient red wood used in expensive furniture to
         some strange woods made from jungle trees to the south.  The
         clerk says the woods breath and make the room cool in summer
         and warm in winter.  The jungle trees are common but the wood
         sells for most nobles in town.

           Kell especially eyes the black ebony wood.  Some length of the
         wood seems to sell for 15 copper a piece.  A bit expensive but
         it must be imported.  The clerk notices Kell and says most
         nobles buy the ebony wood for wood paneling or cabinets.

           Outside the shop Kiet stands and waits.  The smell of the
         wood inside makes his nose itch.  he wonders if he is allergic
         to something inside.  He stares at those who pass by.  Mostly
         merchants or wagons going back and forth.  It is now mid afternoon
         and the temperatures is only rising.

                                -------------------

           After breakfast Caladan, Zhou, Farseeker and Arawn mount up
         on horses and head to where the contact is supposed to be.
         It takes some time but the group finally arrives.  Entering
         the shop a burly man is at a desk with his boot up and he is
         lounged in the wooden chair relaxing.  He is reading a book
         but when he puts it down Arawn notices it is pictures likely
         some dirty book or something.  The man dressed in simple style
         Katai street clothes puts his book down and grunts.  "Yes?"

           "We are here to --" Zhou starts.

           "He'll be here soon.  Sit." The man interrupts Zhou and
         points to 6 simple wooden chairs along the wall.  He then
         gets to his picture book and continues to scan the images of
         fighting and sex.  He grunts and groans every so often but
         it is clear the man has no regard for the status of the group.
         This seems to confirm the contact isn't so clean and legit.
         The man must be used to even nobles visiting here to fence
         things or buy things.

           The group settles down and waits.  A bit over an hour later
         a man finally approaches the shop.  He is typical Katai build
         around 5 foot 10 and average Katai appearance.  AS he enters
         he wears a hat a bit like Kell's.  he removes the hat to reveal
         a scar on his temple that is small.  He is dressed in simple
         riding country clothes for a dusty trail ride.  He dusts himself
         off and then eyes the group.

           Zhou stands forcing the others to stand.  "I am --"

           "Baron Zhou Wa of the east.  Yes.  I recognize you from
         the description as well as the others.  I've heard from
         Tiehul to expect you.  Please come into my office."

           The man in his early 30s walks past and into a back office.
         Farseeker tense from being recognized decides to stay in the
         small lobby and watch outside and the horses.  The other 3
         enter the office and take seats.

           The man closes the door and sits behind the desk.  He eyes
         the trio.  Outside Farseeker eyes the man who must be a bodyguard
         as clearly he isn't a secretary.

           "I am Saleem Mu business man.  So what can I do for you?"
         The man places his hat on the desk and sits back.

           Arawn pulls out the copy of the company logo.  He asks if
         he recognizes it.

           "I know many companies in town.  Part of my business to
         know such things.  It looks to be the Yank brothers.  But
         I heard just yesterday they were bought out by a person
         in another city.  They were paid well and sold quickly.
         They have two warehouses in town I believe.  They mostly
         ship large wagon loads in caravans of 3-4 wagons at least.
         A lot of big items like furniture or such loads."  Saleem
         replies and returns the parchment.

           Arawn asks about missing people especially of high rank.

           "People go missing daily.  It is common place.  Fools who
         refuse to pay their debts all the way up to nobles who join
         lovers while evading their spouse.  Did you have any particular
         person in mind?"  Arawn shakes his head.  Arawn asks about
         the baroness. "All have heard stories of it.  I personally
         didn't pay attention to them.  I am much too busy to care
         about such things.  Some of my friends do tell me she was
         in town for business but not sure what business."

           Arawn asks about odd items or weapons sold.  The fence
         tenses up slightly.  After a few quiet seconds. "You ask
         strange questions friend.  If it weren't for Tiehul vouching
         for you, I might get concerned.  I did a month ago come across
         a circle weapon that is worn on the arms and has sharp edges
         that seem to spin.  I'm told a barbarian jungle tribe south
         uses them.  Last week I also was sold a staff rod thing that
         had a strange serpent head." He growls slightly. "But the
         cursed item shriveled up.  If I find that man again..." He
         growls again. "I had to trash it as it didn't seem good.
         It broke apart from decay."

           Arawn brings up the belief of some house or merchant who maybe
         linked to a shipping company in odd ways.  He mentions Nom and
         amor.

           "Many merchants are connected to such companies.  That is
         where they get their wealth.  I've not heard of such a person
         named such though.  There is rumor that some noble in Pamau
         is buying a slew of shipping companies.  I only heard of such
         as it helps create quick money.  But it turns out they seem
         to be selective in their buying.  I can't recall the name of
         the noble but he is in Pamau.  Of course such things do occur
         daily.  The luxury wagon business down the street is sold and
         paid for by new investors every few years.  It is just the
         way of things in business."

           Arawn asks about the Rising Mount reference or any odd
         mountain references.

           Saleem shakes his head. "Do I look like a mountain climber?"

           Arawn asks about merchant houses tied to the Vassa.

           "Vassa who are they?  I've not heard of them.  Is that a
         merchant company?"  Arawn sighs as he clearly has no idea
         of such links to the Vassa and houses here.

           Arawn asks about odd or interesting rumors.

           Saleem looks frustrated and sighs. "Do I look like a old
         woman gossip?  Time is money.  I don't have time to sit around
         and gossip.  So no."

           Arawn asks of spiritual or odd bodies of water or land like
         lake Oca. Saleem's eyes simply glaze over and the trio figures
         he doesn't understand or know.

           Arawn then asks of the Vong.

           "Vong?  Of course!  The Vong family owns that nice Tavern
         on Way Lin street."

           At that Caladan giggles slightly.  It is clear the fence has
         not heard of the creatures.

           Arawn asks about Tiehul and any news.

           "He did send word that his friend was able to cover things up
         nicely, whatever that means.  He doesn't report anything else
         and no trouble came of the situation, whatever that is.  He just
         warned me you might show up."

           Arawn asks about the man's services and if the party needs to
         sell things.

           "My job is reselling things.  I'm sure Tiehul has explained
         it.  I tend to work around things like silly taxes and the
         restrictive laws.  I buy, resell and get paid.  Some buy
         from me or sell to me.  But I mostly sell.  I've done this
         long enough it comes to me now.  I no longer need to go out
         to obtain items.   Did you have something in mind?"

           Arawn asks of books on legends or stories.

           Saleem glances around the spartan office.  He shrugs. "the
         library must be out back.  I don't have books here." Being
         sarcastic he grins. "Go find a library for such things.  I
         don't have time to read myself."

           Arawn asks of trustworthy contacts in the south.  This
         gets another giggle from Caladan and a slight smirk from Zhou.
         It is like asking a thief of good and honest trustworthy
         thieves.

           "I could look into it but depends on where south you go.
         The south is a big place.  I have a few."

           Arawn asks of good safe routes or havens south and any rumors
         related to south.

           "The highway is safe even from most bandits.  As to the south
         and more gossip..." He trails off as he makes his point of it
         boring him.

           Arawn asks about maps of Katai and the mountains.

           "A map shop can be found four blocks west.  It has many
         maps for sell.  I have none here."

           Arawn ask of emergency exits from the city.

           "The south west gate near the Aimee Bakery is the best gate.
         Few guards are skilled there and many can be bribed."

           Arawn sits and listens to the fence and tries to figure out
         to trust the man or not.  But his empathic skills are unclear
         on this.  The man is clearly a thief at best possibly a killer
         at worse.  He would obviously sell anything for a good coin.
         So trust would be hard to judge from this short conversation.
         But as Tiehul seems to vouch for the man that is the only
         good connection the group has with him.

           The conversation takes some time maybe an hour or two.  It
         is hard to tell.  Finally Arawn asks of local magic detection
         sensors and how best to avoid them.

           When Arawn finishes his question the man suddenly leaps to
         his feet startling the trio.  "Your wizards!?  Tiehul did
         not tell me this."  He rushes to a side window and looks out.
         "You put me in danger by coming here?!" He scans the outside
         and then rushes to the door.  He exits the office and rushes to
         the front and looks for several long seconds to the street.
         he then storms back in. "You will need to leave now.  I don't
         want to be caught."

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: I know at least 3-4 of you already know this.  But if not
             I have sad news to report.  Richard Snider the creator of
             our great game we play has died this last November.  We
             just learned about it on the main P&P Mailing List.  If you
             don't get the list sign up.  The Gods of Chaos sent their
             Cancer demons to finally take him from us.  I would have
             said something Friday as I just learned of it then moments
             before posting the last update but ran out of time.  It
             is a sad day for our hobby.  I dedicate this update, this
             adventure and this pbem to his memory.  One of the posts
             on the list/archives has a site for signing a memory if
             you wish to do so.

         GM: Email issues do occur.  My guess is that the ISP does some
             random maintenance.  These things I can't control.  I've
             heard some email hasn't gotten to me recently but that
             person also had a bad spelling of the address.  So who knows.
             I check my spam filter every night.  So if anything goes there
             I see it.  I do get many emails a day so it would only be
             a worry if I got none.  Best thing I can say is just try again
             in a few hours or post to the list.  I try to Ack all emails
             I get in some form.  Of course if bounces do happen let me
             know what the bounce message says.  That helps to track it.

         GM: Friday I will continue this day's activities.  Then Monday
             may depending on responses go ahead and move the time to
             that night.  It all depends on how things go.  I hope I
             have no covered all shopping requests and contact questions.
             Remind me if I forgot something.  But I have marked off all
             the notes I have on the subject.