[pnpgm] Game update #66 - File #557 - Party has dinner

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Fri Jan 22 06:58:16 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #66 in sequence (file #557)

     [Recap]   -  None

         [Julis 24th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province, Shantou city]
         [Weather: Cloudy, Temperature: 66-98]

         [Time: 2-6pm]

           As Farseeker and Unali ride through the Shantou city streets
         it becomes clear quickly to Farseeker that she seems to know
         where she is going.  But the military man knows not to question
         things like this but to follow along.  One doesn't question their
         superiors.  Especially when a commanding officer bets his men to
         insult a tavern bouncer and do not make the bouncer rise from
         his chair.  Course those scars were well earned and fun.

           The two ride on for some time weaving through foot traffic and
         passing shops and homes.  Every so often Unali will stop near a
         shop and scan the street and area as if looking for someone or
         something.  But then they will move on.  At one point the two
         come to a large four way with wagons and foot traffic everywhere.
         Unali looks down the street to more shops and Farseeker notices
         a wagon being loaded with wood near what must be a lumberyard.

           Unali turns to Farseeker and speaks in Marentian, "Farseeker, my
         apologies for this bit of secrecy, but we should stick to our
         cover at all times, not just when we know that there are people
         are listening. At other times there might be ears as well, as we
         could have known before we were jumped by these monks."

           "You knew I am from Katai. But this actually is my home town. I
         have friends here, and family. There are people here that I should
         visit and pay respect, even though we are disguised, because not
         doing so might indicate disloyalty. And that would be more
         dangerous than meeting the ..." She whispers the next word, "Vong.
         But first I would like to see some old friends, to get a feel for
         how the situation is now. I have been away for a year and a lot
         can happen in that time."

           "I could go alone, but that would not suit our cover story. A
         lady does not ride alone. So enjoy the ride. I can guarantee it
         is safe."

           On his horse, Farseeker does a shoulder bow, "of course mi'lady
         Au.  I am honored to be your escort."

           But eventually Unali and Farseeker turn north and head toward
         the northern edge of the city.  They find the north gate and
         after scanning for trouble or sensors pass through.  This time
         of day the traffic is mostly coming into the city so the way
         out is smooth going.

           Both riders pass through lighter tracks of city streets to
         thin areas of homes every so often and more farms as the time
         draws on.  Eventually some time later the two come up to a
         small homestead and farm.  A two story farm style country home
         of upper middle class status is seen.  Behind it is a tan colored
         two story barn that looks a bit like a stable.  Soon Unali turns
         up the road and heads to the home.

           Both dismount and Farseeker stands by the horses.  Soon Unali
         knocks on the door and a woman in her 60s with slight graying
         hair opens the door.  She rushes forward and hugs Unali and
         whispers a few words to her.  Soon Unali invites Farseeker
         forward and inside.  Unali introduces the woman as Ju Woah.
         Farseeker bows and a few minutes of small talk is done.

           "Farseeker, please take a cushion and sit. Enjoy the tea. It is
         a peaceful moment to be enjoyed, so to thank your host or hostess.
         I will be around in a minute. There is so much lost time."

           Farseeker hears his cover name and bows and then sits down to
         speak to Ju Woah it seems one of Unali's friends.

           Ju then gets tea for Farseeker in the living room while Unali
         explains she will return.  She heads outside and toward the barn.

           Farseeker loses track of time as he speaks of the city and the
         people trying to make small talk.  He doesn't ask the obvious
         questions about Unali as introductions were made in a minor
         level not a great detailed thing.  Soon it seems maybe 20-25
         minutes later Unali and a older man maybe in his 70s or 80s
         leaves the barn.  The man is dressed in simple brown cloth
         tunic and pants.  His gray hair looks distinctive and handsome.
         Farseeker can see the two talk as they get to the home.

           Outside Unali turns to the man. "Walk with me. Ju is serving
         tea and we should join her."  Once inside Unali shows the man
         to Farseeker.  "Yu Woah, meet Farseeker. A friend of mine from
         Marentia. He is a fine warrior. He could teach you a trick or
         two with that sword he carries. Although he should learn to use
         dagger or two properly. For starters, they show off a lot less
         if you want to travel in disguise."

           Farseeker bows to Yu then grins. "A dagger can be fumbled.
         A dagger is awfully light.  I like to feel something when I hit
         a target. You both have a lovely home here."

           "What is with the garden Ju."  Unali asks Ju after she sees
         the crops not in a good shape this year. "I did not see any beans
         this year. Has it been to hot around here for the garden?"

           Ju nods, "the heat and rains have been a problem.  But we did
         just harvest some two months ago.  So we are working on it."

           Soon the four make small talk for a bit.  Then when the sun
         is lower in the sky Unali stands.

           "It has been a pleasure meeting you both again." Unali states
         to the couple. "I know I should visit more, but travel keeps me
         away too much. Oh well, may the year of the crustacean end soon,
         and then I will have more time to sip tea and enjoy the setting
         sun. May your life be peaceful."

           Yu and Ju bow and then see the two off.  The two riders head
         back up the dirt roads toward the city proper.

                                ------------------

         [Time: 2-6pm]

           Meanwhile after buying the horse, the four leave the market
         area.  They search for a weapons shop for Kiet and a few good
         jewelry shops but find little to work with.  They are told
         of other shops in the area but the afternoon draws to an end.
         One blacksmith seems to be making weapons and Kiet watches and
         checks his inventory but it seems the smith is only making special
         order items for nobles.  The smith mentions a shop that sells
         shields nearby and gives directions but this time of day the
         shop would likely be closing.

           As foot traffic thins out for people to return home to eat
         dinner and settle in for the night the four decide to head
         back to the inn for their own meal.

                                ------------------

         [Time: 2-6pm]

           Late in the afternoon as Zhou and Arawn go from lead to
         lead, shop to shop, tavern to tavern the lead ends at
         a small shop near a pottery shop.  A potter mentions the
         shop is closed and will be open tomorrow.  As Zhou stands
         exasperated in the street, Arawn studies the potter.  As he
         moves pots and bags of what might be mix for work around his
         shop porch.  Arawn tries to feel him out with his senses
         and gets quickly the man is frustrated, tired, annoyed
         but even Zhou can tell that.  It doesn't take a empath to
         tell this area of town is low for business foot traffic and
         likely less business.  But as far as gleaming secrets from the
         man's body language nothing is learned by Arawn.

           Soon Zhou and Arawn leave the area and ride back to the
         Blue Crystal inn for dinner.

                                ------------------

         [Time: 5:30pm]

           At the Blue Crystal Inn those left behind have spent the hours
         either in their rooms relaxing on the soft beds or downstairs
         in the tavern watching and studying.

           Will spends some time out back making some quick drawings of
         the tavern and pond as if to make the memory permanent.
         While Whitney stays around the tavern he does spend time the
         wagon playing with his wood and napping.  Shu spent the entire
         afternoon in her room relaxing and sleeping.

           Fremea spend some time in her room relaxing but most of the
         afternoon watching the tavern patrons.  At one point the
         barkeep asks if they need something for spending many hours
         there but when he realizes Raban and Fremea are guests he
         backs off and gives a free beer for Raban and tea for the
         young child.

           Soon those who ventured out into the city return with no
         incidents.  First to trickle in is Zhou and Arawn.  Then
         Unali and Farseeker.  The last to arrive are the four shoppers
         from the market place.  Now that all are together, Zhou gets
         the clerk to setup the meal.

           "At this time you are the highest ranking noble here.  You
         can eat in the private upstairs meeting area if you wish or
         down here." The clerk informs Zhou.

           "Here is fine.  My people like to watch others and feel more
         comfortable being around them."  Zhou replies with the implication
         of the servants like to be around their kind.

           Soon tables are setup in one area.  Orders are made by the
         tavern waitress girls.  The girls who must be no older than 18
         seem efficient and used to dealing with nobles.  They make
         quick delivery of food and drinks.

           Some place special orders like Caladan who hears about the
         squid delicacy Katai serves.  As the food is prepared the
         tavern is cleared away of four tables to create a small dance
         area.  Soon a small duet of musicians begin to play a flute and
         harp to light melodies.

           Ben'dar sniffs the meat and digs in but then he recalls what
         some have said.  He does not recall seeing any dogs on the
         city streets.  As he chews and turns slightly green when Unali
         reminds him Katai has good sized cattle herds.

           Zhou stands and comes over to Unali.  "My dear wife.  Shall
         we dance?" He outstretches his arm and she hesitates but knows
         this is all part of the cover story.  While she isn't a skilled
         dancer like Raban or Z'leyra she has some acrobatic training
         which the party has seen.  That with the quick training she had
         to take for the royal court spy duty in Maren city under the
         direction of Duke Aren, she has learned a few basic moves.

           Strie'bog stands and comes over to Z'leyra. "My lady Junami,
         shall we?"  Z'leyra stands and smiles and figures it will
         waste some time before the meal is served.  Both dance
         with the other three couples on the small area.  The song is
         light to medium tempo but it becomes clear Strie'bog and
         Z'leyra both trained dancers are the best.

           Soon partners are exchanged when the tempo changes fast.
         After a few songs the party members return to the large
         table.  All around there are a dozen other patrons from
         simple knight level nobles, minor city officials, minor
         military officials and some large landholders.  All seem
         to smile but stare occasionally at the rag tag obviously
         foreign party.  But looks can't be helped.

           Soon the meals are served.  First some get fresh salads and
         soups.  Strie'bog especially enjoys his vegetable soup as
         the best he has ever had.  Then meats from pork, steak and
         chicken are served among others.  Some have simple beers or
         ales while others have wines like the core noble adults.

           Unali smiles at the party for the first time in what seems
         like weeks.  But it seems more a true smile than a cover story
         this time.  Dressed in her nice flowing gown she speaks up when
         conversation dies down.  "The country side around here is so
         interesting.  It is green and people seem relaxed. The weather
         is much nicer here than at home, my husband. We should travel
         more often."

           "Certainly," Zhou replies, "if business and time allows it.
         It is more crowded than back home though."

           Zhou turns the group. "Our trip to find the business contact
         failed.  We shall try again tomorrow.  We went from location to
         location.  Seems he is fond of having various places of businesses.
         Arawn and myself will try tomorrow.  If anyone wish to join us
         let us know."

           Zhou then turns to Kiet. "So I hear you paid for a horse?  I
         hope she will be good for you.  So how was your other activities?
         I hope Bu Da and Swan were able to help with shopping and the
         horse buying."

           Ha'kell, Swan, goes over the day's events of the various shops
         found and some minor items obtained.  He mentions carousing in
         a couple of taverns along the way while the herbalist shop was
         looked in and the horse buying was being done.  He tells of the
         farmers and peasants he met along the way and paid for them to
         drink and loosen their tongues. "I asked about the escaped felons,
         the reason given for the multiple searches. I got some funny looks
         from the men in the tavern, then they told me the rumor they
         heard.  It has nothing to do with any escape.  They told me that
         a baroness went missing about a week ago, someplace outside the
         city.  Whilst they knew the local Count is upset, they didn't know
         anything else.  It is only a rumor, but it makes a lot more sense
         than possible escaped felons."

           Zhou nods, "it does make more sense.  But this could be just
         the typical kidnapping for ransom.  I understand it happens
         quite common in a empire full of nobles."

           Kell then asks, "When can Shu perform her task?  Do we need to
         arrange for an attention getter elsewhere?"

           It takes some hard to hear Kell's whisper but the question
         is understood.  Zhou glances to Shu then back at Kell. "I
         hope to learn more on that tomorrow with our contact.  He
         might know more on this city and how it works "

           The dinner begins to slow down and the cook comes out to get
         thanks from Zhou for a good meal.  The cook simply bows and
         says his staff did most of the work.

           It is now dark outside and around 7:30pm.  As the evening
         begins to draw on some relax in the tavern and listen to the
         music or return to their respective rooms or inns.

           Unali turns to Arawn who is enjoying a nice slice of garlic
         like bread.  "Arawn, you have this lovely drawing of the mountain
         range that you made for my daughter. I would like to look at it
         when I wake up. That would make me very happy.  Could you get it
         now, so I can take it with me as I retire for the evening soon."

           As Unali leaves the table, Zhou and others stand.  "I shall
         be in bed soon.  I am considering a massage."

           Arawn heads upstairs and gets the item for Unali.

           Those that remain up later that night find the tavern go into
         a more quiet mood.  The musicians leave around 9pm but a few
         of the military officials and merchants stick around to play
         a few hands of cards and smoke.

           Zhou after his massage from a very young local girl feels
         utterly relaxed.  Drowsy he heads up to his room for bed
         around 9:30pm.  He opens the door to the dark room and enters.
         He notices Unali in bed and seems asleep from the hallway
         light.  He closes the door and lets his eyes adjust.  When
         he sees faint light from the balcony doors and windows he
         heads toward the center of the room.  He knows his servant
         and daughter is in adjacent rooms.  But maybe to ensure
         his cover he should act the part.  Then he shakes his head
         knowing that Unali would snap his neck.  He shrugs and climbs
         onto the couch for a night's rest after removing his shirt.
         It takes no time before he is fully asleep.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: Next update any night events and then we'll move on
             to day 2 in Shantou.

         GM: Two basic tasks - meet contact and likely more shopping.

             Contact: Arawn, Zhou
             Shopping: Kiet, Kell

             I assume Kiet will go looking for his shield and some
             other items.  I also assume Kell will join Kiet.  but
             if Kiet or Kell wish to meet with contact that is fine
             as well.  All others will assume stay in the inns and
             do much of nothing unless you state otherwise.  So
             again if you join to meet the contact let me know. Also
             let me know any advance questions or comments for the
             contact you may have so I can reply.  If you shop or
             explore the city let me know and I'll do that.  I still
             have a lot of those actions to do like the shield for
             Kiet.  Some actions I still have in emails.  I have a ton
             of things from Arawn for the contact for example.  So
             just let me know.  A full day of stuff can be done with
             multiple actions.  Still lot of behind scenes going on
             so these updates look small but stuff going on.