[pnpgm] Game update #83b - File #334 - Part B - Arawn gets naked

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Oct 19 07:37:15 CEST 2007

#
  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #83b in sequence (file #334)

     Admin notes: None.

          [See part A]

         [Decalis 16th, 107th day since left Marentia, 43rd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Lake Oca/Deep Forest]

          [Time    -  Last night after Bohusara is helped from lake...]

          [After Ben'dar throws down the Claw he listens to Thig and by
           Xian, Ben'dar glances at Xian.]

          Ben'dar: "No, I don't want it.  Despite what Thig says, it is
            evil. Perhaps it should  be buried somewhere deep within the
            forest, in a place where it will not be found.  Maybe the
            Green Lady can help with that?"

          [Bohusara raises an eyebrow in thought.  Clearly not used to
           destroying things but supporting life.  Ben'dar continues.]

          Ben'dar: "Z'leyra and you, Xian, know much more about such
            matters than I.  Do with the claw what you will.  I will have
            nothing more to do with it."

          [Ben'dar raises his hands in disgust and turns to move toward
           the roaring campfire.  As he does he explains over his
           shoulder.]

          Ben'dar: "To the Z'enda, our freedom is more important than life
            itself. When I used the claw, a power overtook me and nearly
            consumed my will.  It was a horrible feeling." [he explains
            with a shudder.  He now wonders how Z'leyra and others may have
            felt with their spells that backfired on those items of the
            creatures.]

          [As Ben'dar walks away Z'leyra signs for Thig to translate this
           time since he also knows Sign language.  She asks via hand
           signals.]

          Z'leyra: "Would you assist in the destruction of the Claw? It
            is dangerous and evidently burial will not be enough to keep
            it out of evil hands. It appears to be immune to my magic.
            Indeed, once I was apparently possessed by it despite the
            immunity offered by enhanced laurel. I could just burn it...
            but if that released a spirit I don't know that I could
            control or dismiss the spirit. If you, or anyone else, has a
            better idea I would like to hear it."

          [Z'leyra continues] "I would like to enhance a couple other
           items I have. Where might I do so without conflicting with
           the magics present?"

          [Bohusara ponders the translation and looks at the claw.]

          Bohusara: "Obviously I would not do such in the Sacred Grove.
            But doing it here there is little chance of problems.  Of
            course that assumes the destruction doesn't result in
            harm to the forest. Then the forest could react to it
            and defend itself even without my help. You must understand
            the forest protects me as I do it.  It is a symbiotic
            relationship like that of the black bird and swamp buffalo.
            Both work to help each other.  As such there is always magic
            around the forest whether it is mine or the Protectors or
            the supernatural magics imbued into the forest.  What makes
            this forest unique compared to any simple wood is my presence.
            But with that comes a duty.  I can never leave this forest or it
            will die.  With that said there is no magic but there is magic.
            What that means is that while this ground here or that ground
            there has no magics on it with me just being here the forest
            is aware.  It is a complicated thing to explain." [She pauses
            trying to explain it more.  She looks at Arawn and Thig
            thinking they might understand how this supernatural magic
            works.] "All around me and the entire forest are Protectors.
            From the mundane animals like birds to Vily, Druids and other
            forces. They are dedicated, as myself, to protect this forest
            and what it represents.  They have their own ability to use
            magic in various areas, those who can use it that is.  If your
            afraid the forest will react badly or its forces to the
            destruction then I can comment only that it is possible.  In
            that in the destruction it could unleash some spirit or force
            the Protectors will have to act if you can't contain it.  But
            that is the worst case deal right?  What if it simply burns
            and turns to ash?  Nothing happens.  We can also bury it as I
            suggested deep in the forest.  There are ways to do it without
            it going to the wrong hands. A couple birds can do it.  Let's
            face it birds don't live that long so it would be a short lived
            secret. But the choice is yours.  Thig informs me there is no
            magic in it and none he can sense.  Yet it seems to resist
            magic.  A odd paradox isn't it?  It is a strange item and if
            you take it from the forest it might suit the forest as well."

          Thig: "She is right.  Keep in mind taking it to Marentia leads
            to a greater chance of discovery and theft.  Here I doubt
            anyone would want to much less steal it."

          GM: After talking to Alex in ICQ Z'leyra has decided to
              hold onto the Claw for some time leery of anti forest
              reaction and magics.  Alex and John have worked out
              a future plan by letting Arawn commune with it.

          [Arawn offers to commune and cast magic on the claw to
           Z'leyra.  Z'leyra nods as still can't talk up to this
           point.  She places the claw in her satchel and wonders if
           doing such a thing is wise.  After all she simply tried
           to learn from it and lost her voice.  Could be worse and
           lose a life or soul.]

          GM: Since he didn't post that part publicly I can't
              phrase his words.  He'll need to do that.  Both
              Alex and John talked in ICQ about it and have a plan
              formed.  I've warned John of the risks.  Like I say
              I don't kill folks out right.  I tend to kill folks
              who do badly risked things. :)

          [The others head back to camp.  Arawn stays further away
           and tries to recall the last few minutes.  The prayer
           he did and the vision he might have seen from it.  The
           Elf was pure white.  While pure white albino humans
           are pretty rare Elves have been known to have a few.
           It is less special and tends to denote great age or
           wisdom.  Maybe a process from age itself.  Arawn returns
           to camp and borrows a torch and heads west into the
           forest where he prayed shortly before.  He finds the
           small area and the tall tree.  He then swings his torch
           back and forth looking for marks or tracks the Elf he
           saw left.  But nothing is on the ground.  Arawn sighs.
           While it is dark he'll recheck in the morning.  Just
           to make sure.  No tracks doesn't mean much to an Elf.
           He knows Elves can walk life a feather through grass if
           they are skilled enough.  To find no tracks doesn't rule
           out it being a vision or a real Elf.  Arawn sighs and
           returns back to camp.]

                                        -------------

          [Time    -  9:42pm]

          [As the night grows on Arawn tries to make sense of
           the visions and his own knowledge.  He took some intense
           Cosmology lectures as a Druid.  But as he tries to
           review all the knowledge in his head he can't place anything
           matching anything NEAR the vision he saw.  Nothing of the
           strange purple like sky, the large almost sky filled moon
           and the odd things in the sky.  Of course he is no professional
           Cosmologist so maybe he just doesn't know the information.]

          [Arawn stands and walks to the wagon the party obtained from
           the cabin earlier today.  He climbs onto the cramped wagon
           and finds one of the blanket wrapped staves.  He unwraps
           the blanket and examines the still staff in the dim light.
           Only the campfire to the left and his night vision seems
           to find the brownish staff eerie in its almost dead like
           state.  From the talk after the combat he knows these
           creatures seem docile.  Cut they do attack.  Maybe a
           self defense attack.  The enemy used them clearly as a
           weapon.  Arawn sits indian style on the wagon and looks
           to the left to see if anyone is seeing.  But n one
           seems to pay attention. He wonders if he should let
           the others know.  But they would likely call him insane
           again like with the snake hood.  He reaches out with
           his empathic ability and concentrates.  He senses
           nothing from the snake rod.  He wonders if it has any
           form of feeling or if his sense failed.  his sense for
           empathy isn't perfect or 100% sure he knows that.  He
           recalls that scar on his leg he had to heal as a kid
           with that Gnarl bear.  Well if it failed he hopes he
           won't get poisoned.  But the worse is he will and
           the others will help.  At least the poison isn't
           deadly.  He begins to speak a few words to cast a
           tongues spell to talk to it.  As he moves his hand
           over the rod he uses his other hand and touches it
           ever so slightly.  Upon completion of the spell
           though he is thrown back onto his back.  A pulse
           of energy or sensation shoots through his body.
           He suddenly finds himself in a dark, cold and cramped
           pit with other snakes crawling all over him.  He
           begins to shiver as the claustraophia sensation begins
           to make him slightly frightened.  His eyes see snakes
           roll back and forth in front of his vision but all he
           can see is grays and intense black shapes.  He tries
           to free his mind and close his eyes but can't.  For
           13 minutes Arawn lays on his back on the wagon shivering
           and not moving.  When the sensation ends his vision
           clears to the starry sky above.  A deep intense cold
           more than the nightly cold seeps into his bones and
           he flexes his arms which seem to have been locked in
           place from shock.  His breathing begins to slow down
           and he recalls control of the situation.  He suspects
           the spell failed badly.  Just as others had warned
           when Z'leyra lost her voice.  Arawn sighs and sits up,
           a bit dizzy.  the staff is silent and unmoving.  He
           wraps the blanket around it and gets off the wagon
           with a bit of queasy stomach.  he staggers back to the
           campfire to rest for the night and think.  If this happened
           on a simple animal thing like the staff what will happen
           with a obviously much more powerful item like the Claw?]

          [In the trees to the east Corona stares down at the wagon
           and stares in awe as the Elf leaves the wagon.  Why
           people do the things they do...]

                            -------------------

         [Decalis 17th, 108th day since left Marentia, 44th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Lake Oca/Deep Forest]
          [Weather -  Overcast, 49 Degrees]

          [Time    -  Just after sunrise]

          [While the party examine the dead lake "brain" like creature
           Ben'dar looks it over.]

          Ben'dar: "What a strange creature,"

          Farseeker: "Sure is.  I've never seen anything like it.
            But then again I'm a land lover.  Damon might have
            recognized it if he was here."

          Xian: "It seems small to have done all the damage at once."

          Trembyl: "Fast acting as well if the Vassa said it was over
            a few days."

          Thig: "I've seen squid before and it looks like that.
            Its a easy guess the gray creatures had something to
            do with it.  Probably planting it in the lake.  If I
            had to take a guess I'd say they planted it to create
            a richer environment for the staffs and orbs to grow in.
            Like when sea farmers do oyster beds in Donara.  They
            build cages and make the area good for just their fish
            they are trying to grow.  Once the water was polluted
            or right for them they planted the staves and orbs.
            That's my guess.   The by product of the creature might
            have been poison in the long run.  My guess is the
            creature would eventually be in need of replacement.
            But that's only guesswork."

          [Before the creature is taken away Arawn goes to his bags.
           He gets out his metal flask and returns to the creature.
           He snips off a piece of its arm with his dagger and places
           it into his metal flask.]

          [Ben'dar helps the Vassa bury it deeper into the forest in a
           good deep grave so animals don't dig it up.]

          GM: Clarification.  It seems confusion over the 'hole' under
              the creature.  It was meant UNDER the creature not under
              the creature in the ground :).  So a simple orifice hole IN
              the creature UNDER it. Not in the ground :)

          [Arawn then collects a sample from one of the orbs some of its
           skin or plant tissue whatever it is.  He then seals the
           flask and casts a Preservation spell on it.  That should
           contain it well for a couple days.]

          [Returning to camp Arawn uses his healer skill to touch up
           his wounds.  He sees Z'leyra watching and hears Bohusara's
           offer to heal.  But he explains that its best for one to
           learn on their own and gain experience from it.  Besides
           Z'leyra may not be able to heal Elves well.  Because of
           the amount of scars by the snakes he has to cast two
           Regrowth spells.  Both work and the scars on his neck and
           face heal and his normal skin appears.  He then casts
           a Healing Hand spell on himself and heals the last of
           his wounds.  Now at a 100% physical status.  Lastly
           he casts a spell to regain energy to himself.]

          [As the others mill about Arawn jogs into the forest to
           check for those tracks again but finds nothing not even
           a twig out of place it seems.  He heads back to camp.]

          [Arawn secures his samples.  He had hoped to get a sample
           from the snake headdress but the Vassa didn't return it.
           They buried it right then and there.  Plus it was such
           a mess of ooze and goo it might've been a very messy
           sample.  He considered even taking the head of the
           female entirely as a sample.  But he knows Bohusara and
           the other druids would object.  Being in the upper world
           he could do anything he wanted virtually.  Down here
           it seems there are rules of etiquette and manners.
           A new style of living he'll have to deal with.  He saw
           how Bohusara reacted to seeing Ben'dar's trophy of
           wolf headdress and how she reacted to other things.  He
           figures she might not have reacted too well to him cutting
           off the head and stuffing it in his bags.  Some may not
           understand the validity of knowledge over the whole ideal
           of a simple body desecration.  Arawn sighs and watches
           the party clean up camp.]

          [As the morning light shines through the trees and make
           the lake look golden Arawn turns and walks toward the
           lake.  He waves and yells to the Vassa to join them.
           He tries to explain to the Vassa that his parents may
           have helped to heal the lake with their blessing.  But
           he doesn't also take the credit away from Bohusara who
           may have done most of the work.  The Vassa listen
           intently and memorized.  Arawn explains his father,
           Payan, the Marshal of the Wild would be a great help
           to heal the lake with the help of others like Bohusara.
           He has the Vassa rise to their feet when he nears the
           end of his speech and offers a tribute to the lake.
           He tells of a prophecy by his mother of a area in the
           upper world that soon might merge with the middle world.
           Arawn picks up a handful of soft sand and lifts it up.
           He explains that this prophecy tells that in this area
           there is a perfect mix of Earth, Water and Air.  With that
           he lets the soft sand sift through his fingers and blow
           out onto the lake.  He says that one day fire will complete
           this connection and the prophecy.  At that point the
           area will be a utopia for all as nature will be in a perfect
           balance.  As the sand is almost finished he speaks a blessing
           with his other hand in a couple languages.  As the final
           sand runs out of his hand he sighs inwardly.  He knows
           prophecy and myth tend to merge and tend to be garbage.
           But maybe to the Vassa this helps to heal their loss to
           the area.  All those years of hearing myths, commands,
           ceremonies and other things in the court he wonders if he
           was truly listening or bored.  Maybe this is to show that
           he did listen and can learn...]

          [From the campsite Bohusara and the others watch the strange
           scene but do not hear what was said.  All are quite as
           it looks like Arawn is doing something special.]

          Bohusara: "La'quaya blessing."

          Xian: "What?"

          Bohusara: "Priests do something similar for crops and large
             areas of land that are in blight.  It is a form of
             blessing.  It is something me or Strie'bog should've done.
             It will help the Vassa to feel better for their lake.
             Otherwise they might be scared to return and use it for
             water and such.  I guess I was lapse in that idea."

          [Now that Z'leyra has her voice back she approaches Bohusara.]

          Z'leyra: "I feel honored to have had the opportunity to meet you
            and assist you. While I don't expect to spend much of the
            future in this vicinity I hope that we shall friends when I
            do. If you need my help, please don't hesitate to ask."

          [Bohusara smiles and does a small curtsey bow.  Since she has
           a good 3 foot shorter distance than Z'leyra or so its
           like a kid bowing.  As she raises up her smile remains.
           She then looks to Strie'bog and a frown comes ever so
           briefly.  The smile returns quickly to her face.]

          Bohusara: "As am I honored to me you and your friends.
             When my son left I feared he would enter a wild world.
             He was completely safe here.  The reason he left was
             complex for him to handle.  But I suspect he has found
             friends who might be able to help him in his journey.
             Unlike the plains we do not get much Shaman here much
             less a female one.  This is a land of druids and sidh.
             But to find one here is a good experience for me and
             the forest.  My husband taught me of distant lands and
             I know your land in the south is quite a distance
             away.  I wish you luck in your travels and future."

          [Arawn asks that the Vassa return to camp.  As they do
           he heads north-west along the trail alone.  Z'leyra
           watches and wonder what he is up to now.  As the
           Vassa returns she asks Bohusara if they wouldn't mind
           teaching her the language through a spell.  One
           agrees and she casts the Tongues spell.  She thanks
           the man and both return to camp.]

          [Up along the trail Arawn enters the forest and removes
           his clothing and places it on the ground.  The cold
           nips at his naked body and he wonders why he is doing
           this away from the fire.  Before undressing Arawn
           found a small bonelet on the small beach of a fish
           or frog.  Unsure which he figures a bear must've been
           here eating in the past some fish.  He walks to the side of
           the lake and casts a elemental spell hoping it worked.
           But since there is a hold on the spell for backup he
           is unsure if it worked or not.  He then dips into the
           water and casts another spell while holding the bonelet.
           He suddenly transform shape into a smaller fish dropping
           into the cold water.  He immediately begins to move
           deeper into the lake to avoid the beach.  In fish form
           Arawn swims deep and in a large circle around the lake.
           He knows the spell will only last 3-4 minutes so he
           tries to move between the various plants and investigate
           the lake for problems or other creatures.  In his current
           hand sized form he fails to recall the danger he might
           be in if a larger fish might be hunting him.  It would
           be silly to die in the lake naked and have your body
           found later floating.  A high disgrace for not thinking
           that risk through he continues from section to section.
           Since the lake is a good half mile wide in each direction
           it takes sometime to swim through.  As he swims he
           finds the water is less brown and silty brown as most
           lakes of this shallow 30-35 feet deep seems to have.
           There is plenty of fish and other animals including snakes,
           turtles and the occasional frog in the lake as well.
           That seems to indicate the poison wasn't deadly but just
           to pollute the water for some longer term lingering
           effect or maybe it was deadly over time.  Arawn also
           doesn't consider that swimming in the midst of the
           poison could kill him over time?  Another risk forgotten.
           The water is very cold but in fish form it doesn't seem
           to be affecting him much.  He is fascinated by the plants
           and other fish in the lake and this perspective of
           a fish.  An odd experience indeed.  He finds no sign of
           the poison or magic from Bohusara.  Course the poison might
           not be seen in the water.  No other sign of another
           such squid-like creature at the lake bottom as well.
           As he is swimming north the spell suddenly ends at a
           depth of 15 feet.  His lungs suddenly fill with water
           from the transformation and he struggles to swim to the
           surface.  But he knows how to swim so that is a good thing.
           He lunges above the water and gasps for air.  He floats
           and finds himself about 30 feet east of the North-west
           shore.  He swims that way and walks onto the beach.]

          [From camp the Vassa bring the attention of the splashing
           to the party and most look to see a person swimming toward
           the beach.  The party look to horses ready to chase the
           enemy if it is on.  Corona takes to the air and flies
           toward the person.  Unali gets to her horse and pulls
           her spyglass out and sees a person walking onto the beach
           in pale skin.  The backside of Arawn is seen in its full
           glory and she moves up to the face, eagerly, to see the
           pointed ears.  When Arawn goes profile she recognizes him
           and tells the party its just Arawn.  Unali puts away
           the spyglass not wanting to see more.]

          [?Shivering Arawn walks south toward where he left his
           clothes in the forest unaware anyone noticed.  But
           how could they with all the splashing.  Satisfied the
           lake seems well he dresses.  Of course he might have
           only seen 20% of the lake in the short few minutes
           but its a good representation.  It would take a dozen
           or so shape changing spells to likely investigate the
           entire lake.]

          [As Arawn returns to camp he notices odd looks and some
           subtle giggles and grins.]

          Thig: "Like the morning swim eh?" [He grins to the clothes
            which are wet and points to the fire] "Better dry off
            before we smother the fire."

                            -------------------

         [Decalis 17th, 108th day since left Marentia]
          [Time    -  7:07am]

          [As breakfast is served and eaten, Chion offers to teleport
           folks back to Marentia or the Zen'da Plains.]

          Chion: "Well, some choices I made this journey sure turned out
            well enough. Didn't use much magic in case we needed the power
            to return or escape. So I have plenty to take us home after the
            celebrations is you all don't want to take the long way back. I
            will probably be taking Cetric up on an offer afterwards, so
            if anyone wants to go there I would be happy to take them as
            well."

          Xian: "That is very kind.  It would be a long trip in the cold
            back home in enemy territory.  To be home in a few hour's time
            rather than weeks is definitely better."

          [Ben'dar wonders if going to his ranch is a good idea or
           going to his family.  He could spend the winter with
           them.  But he has a business now to attend to.  Once
           he gets settled and that virtually runs itself maybe
           he can return home a warrior to show his friends and
           family of his adventures.]

          Farseeker: "It will be good to be home.  Not that this
           place is nice.  Marentia doesn't have these large
           forests just hills and mountains."

          Thig: "This nothing compared to the Great Forest near
            Donara. The Wild Forest is the biggest ever!"

          Xian: "We do have to figure out how to teleport all those
            horses.  That'll be a bit of work."

          Trembyl: "Chion you sure are a powerful Teleporter.  You
            could earn some money as a messenger or diplomatic
            courier.  Instead of threats of war in months and
            seasons you could send messages back and forth in
            days to nations.  Dangerous work though I 'd suspect.
            Glad you're on our side."

          [Later as the party packs their horses and prepares to leave
           Bohusara approaches Chion and talks softly.]

          Bohusara: "I know you have that amazing ability to move folks
            from one point to another.  I'm sure you have the ability to
            send us all back to the Sacred Grove right now.  But I would
            like to spend time with my son and everyone before the
            Celebration.  So I appreciate the party riding back. I
            definitely want to get to know Stry's friends better."

          [When she finishes and leaves Arawn approaches and speaks
           to Chion.]

          Arawn: "Chion, I don't know what everyone has decided yet but
            I would be glad to assist by transforming the horses once
            again. As for the offer of teleporting, I will go with the
            group, if they will have me, as I'm very curious about these
            strange creatures and their connection with events in Katai.
            Depending on how much time will be spent preparing I was
            wondering, as I would like to stay in these woods for a while
            and investigate things further before travelling to Marentia,
            would you be willing to transport me to the others after a
            certain period of time? I would be willing to make up for it
            with gifts if need be."

          Xian: "I'm surprised you know of Katai and Marentia.  You
            must know the lands of our world as well as yours.
            From Katai its a great distance away to the east through
            two or three other empires.  Since winter is setting in
            we need to rest and research there in Marentia.  Katai
            is a huge land with over one million people and I
            understand Marentia could fit in Katai's land two or
            three times."

          Thig: 'Yes.  We have a friend in a city down there, Kaylle,
            who might be able to get us some information.  He
            is a scholar.  Finding out details and preparing for
            it could take months."

          Farseeker: "Even if Chion teleported us east it would
            take 2 or 3 good jumps.  Since we have no idea where
            to go it would be futile now.  Research and preparation
            is the key here."

          Trembyl: "Best time to travel east would be spring.  since
            that's a good three months away you'd be here for three
            months and not with us Arawn?"

      GM: Part C to follow next email...