[pnpgm] Game update #83c - File #335 - Part C - Thig makes an announcement

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Oct 19 07:43:20 CEST 2007

#
  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #83c in sequence (file #335)

     Admin notes: None.

          [See part A]

         [Decalis 17th, 108th day since left Marentia]
          [Time    -  7:43am]

          [the party finishes breakfast and heads out westward...]

          [Chion agrees to travel on the horse he has.  Still a sight
           to be seen.  A heavyset frame on a tiny horse.  Like a Giant
           riding a dog.  By now the party has gotten used to it though
           Chion hasn't gotten used to riding.  Being one to teleport
           across half a continent in a blink of an eye makes you not used
           to this "slow" mundane travel. But he knows time spent with
           Bohusara and others might be a benefit for everyone.
           Especially time spent between mother and son.]

          Bohusara: "We should make good time.  Instead of three days
            it'll only take us two.  The forest will be our guide and
            part for us or lead us into less packed areas for the wagon.
            One benefit for being who I am." [She smiles.] "In fact at
            camp there will be no need for a watch.  We will be warned
            of any danger though by now I suspect none to exist."

          Trembyl: "If I may ask though how did the creatures get behind
            your awareness and ambush us?"

          Bohusara: "I am glad you asked.  I was learning of their movement
            when we were attacked.  Just bad timing. The problem was the
            forest doesn't know Evil or Good by looking at a face.  It
            had no idea it was in danger until just before the attack
            when the poison in the lake began to reach root system of the
            lake trees.  With the Solstice the Protectors are thinned out
            a bit.  We've seen brown lakes before.  After a dirty rain or
            flood with sand and mud in the lake. So the forest didn't know
            the lake was in danger until a bit before the attack.  With
            me around though and my powers gaining strength daily chance
            of danger will be very slim from now on."

          [Some hear her words as an excuse while others see it as simple
           logic though slightly flawed.  Clearly the forest and her were
           weakened when she was captured. So the awareness factor of her
           and the forest was greatly decreased.]

          [Arawn listens to her.  The trust issue seems to have been
           resolved.  He knows she is good for what she has done.
           But she will likely still need to be checked out over the
           next couple days.  She could still be under some strange
           geas or curse he thinks.]

          Trembyl: "Excuse me for asking.  Have you figured out why
            the witches took you with help of the Humagi?"

          Bohusara: "I have thought of it last night in great detail.
            They sought not to kill me but to hold me.  I figure
            since the Solstice ceremony would thin out the Protectors
            they could try to get me.  I suspected nothing when
            they came to my cabin.  They got a lucky hit on me
            before I could act and the forest could act.  I suspect
            magic was used to prevent the forest from acting.
            They got as far as a day's ride from here when you know
            they were attacked by Vassa.  Trying to help free me
            they killed the Vassa but the forest was trying to
            help me as it could.  Once out on the plains the life
            energy inside me began to wane.  I weakened and they
            put me in that alcove.  I heard nothing or was talked
            to by no one until you rescued me.  I suspect they
            needed me weakened, and in turn the forest weakened,
            to act at the lake.  Once they could do it freely
            they put the creature in.  Now if they had out right
            killed me the forest would know it and Miklav would
            as well.  By keeping me secluded they could not locate
            me as fast and was blocked by magic.  Only when the
            forest itself started to act on that side of the forest
            did the Protectors know a rough idea of my location.
            I suspect that's when Miklav sent you guys after me."

          Thig: 'They did no magic on you other than the wards and
            the sleeping spell?"

          Bohusara: "Yes.  That was it.  Unless they did something
            to me while I was asleep.  Personally I suspect they
            would have trouble doing much with my high magical
            resistance."

          Xian: "What exactly would've happened if you were killed?
            If you don't mind me asking."

          Bohusara: "Nothing an acolyte in the arts wouldn't know
            in this area.  So not a great secret.  If I were to
            die the forest would decrease in size.  It would lose
            great amount of territory.  Plains would soon overtake
            those areas.  The entire forest itself likely wouldn't
            die. But its Protectors would be on their own against
            the Humagi invaders.  Without magic on the edges of
            the forest to ward that the Vassa could be overrun.
            Upon death another Green Lady would have to be...
            established by the Druids...a complex ritual..."

                            ----------------

         [Decalis 17th, 108th day since left Marentia]
          [Time    - 11:07am]

          [As the party rides on Thig has remained quiet for the last
           couple of hours.  At a spot where the horse are given a rest
           as a few items on the wagon are reshuffled he speaks up.]

          Thig: "I'm staying here."

          Farseeker: "What?"

          Thig: "I've become intrigued with this place.  Vul'heim has
            invited me to stay at the Hill.  I have decided, with some
            regret to leaving you guys, for some time. Likely for the
            winter.  After that next year we shall see what happens."

          Xian: "We have traveled together for many years and it will
            be a sad loss to the party."

          Farseeker: "Yes.  You are unique.  I've seen a few of your kind
            like Kaylle and Varange.  You are between those two extremes.
            A worthy magician and fighter. I hope you find happiness here."

          Xian: "What about Pogo and Ventrius?"

          Trembyl: "When spring comes will you join us in Katai if we
            head that way?"

          Thig: "I don't know.  I will deliver some message somehow if
            I'm able to or not either way."

          [Thig stares at the Wolf and loyal companion of Strie'bog.
           He misses his dogs.  He knows he could not bring them
           on this trip for various reasons.  He looks to Xian and
           recalls the dogs are at his house tended by Cholan.]

          Thig: "They like you and since they are at your place anyways
            I'd like you to take care of them if you don't mind.  For the
            time being.  I will then send for them or pay Chion to deliver
            them one day."

          Trembyl: "Yes.  Who throw sailors for your dogs to eat!"
            [Trembyl smiles recalling the shipboard fun in the Sea of
            Tears a few months back.]

          [As the party mounts up and continues west the party knows one
           less going back to Marentia will be like losing one to death.
           But what is not said openly is that Thig is here with his kind.
           Sure Kaylle is one of maybe 2 or 3 in the entire Marentia
           province of his kind back home.  But here he is among dozens
           of his kind.  Also to those who have noticed it there seems to
           be a spark between Thig and Vul'heim.  Unlike most humans in
           this area Thig is one not to be teased about such matters.
           Those who know Thig knows he doesn't like teasing so well but
           at times can take it.]

          [Xian turns to Arawn on his horse and sees Arawn is deep thought
           He waits for what looks to be a pause in the lengthy mental
           process and speaks.]

          Xian: "Your welcome to go back with us to Marentia.  It is a
            land about a thousand miles to the south.  A bit more warmer
            and near a sea called the Sea of Tears. It is sort of our home
            base province.  But of course your welcome to stay here with
            your kind.  Thig tells me your used to the Upper World. Here
            Elves and other sidh may be numerous.  But in Marentia there
            may only be a handful.  I know of one Faerry, Kaylle and 1 Elf
            named Jordi down there.  Just think it over in the next few
            days.  It is a good place to live with lots of good people.
            With any place you go in this world there will be those who
            hate non-humans.  That you'll have to live with as they
            are just ignorant.  We know many other friends down there
            who are retired from adventuring now.  Even some people in
            very high places."

          [Arawn listens to his words and considers the last few days,
           actually 2 weeks.  It seemed to go by fast.  He still has no
           clue how he and his horse could end up here.  One minute riding
           with his trusted friend in the Upper World and the next here.
           Some god had to be behind this.  There can't be any other
           logical explanation.  But there are many who may hate his
           parents and seek revenge.  At the very least it could've been
           a fluke of some plane portal he crossed into and didn't know
           existed?  But his memory has been shaken and some details
           forgotten.  He will have to explain how he got here to the
           others and the druids to see what they think later.  He
           wonders what happened to his trusted friend and hope he is
           okay.  Then there was the prayer last night.  The strange
           response and then that Elf-like face in the trees.  Was that
           a vision or something real or divine?  He will also have to
           discuss that with the party and druids to see what they think
           about it later.  From the prayer or his own mental subconscious
           he learns of some implied destiny before he can or should return
           home.  Arawn sighs openly to this thought.  He has always hated
           the thought of destiny.  Laughing at folks who said they had
           one or said the gods, who to Arawn were just "normal" people,
           implied they had a personal destiny.  Now he seems to have one.
           Ridicule turns into irony.]

          [Near the cabin location south of the lake...]

          [Shortly into the ride Arawn suggests going back to the cabin so
           he can further question the dead.  Bohusara shivers to this
           thought but replies quickly.]

          Bohusara: "I'm afraid that would be a waste of time in more than
            one way.  As you all were preparing your horses I got a morning
            report from the forest and my eyes and ears of the animal
            world.  It seems last night a group of Humagi came with a
            Shaman.  He was seen to do dancing and doing spells.  This
            is a common thing for them.  Once the enemy is killed and a
            shaman can detect desecration on the grave or bodies he'll
            cast magic to prevent further.  I suspect he made their spirits
            leave the area.  I doubt you'll be able to question them again.
            But if you want to try it I can send one of the Vassa back to
            the cabin with you and escort you back.  He can follow a trail
            I leave for him.  You could easily catch up since we have a
            wagon.  But I wish not to return to the ghastly sight as it
            holds bad memories."

          [The party looks to Arawn for his reaction and continue
           riding through the forest slowly.]

          [Farseeker, Thig, Trembyl and Xian decide to continue
           on with Bohusara.  If Arawn does go and decides to join
           Arawn need to speak up for a return to the cabin.]

          GM: Arawn you can go by yourself or with anyone that wishes to
              go with you.  Then you can catch up. But you gotta let me
              know asap. Its up to you.  The party can discuss it.  Others
              not listed above can stay with Arawn.  Arawn was going to
              cast some Akasha spells as well but due tot he 20 hour
              time frame per spell decided against it.

          [As Arawn decides he hears Ben'dar speak of the ranch and
           the plans to be the biggest horse dealer in Marentia. Of
           course with a reputation like that is bound to have problems
           of its own.  Ben'dar talks of the quality of his horses and
           what they could mean to the military.  Maybe Farseeker could
           talk to his superiors to buy some?]

          [Upon hearing of Ben'dar's plans to return to Marentia Arawn
           will guide his horse alongside Tef'wo and speak to the warrior.]

          Arawn [To Ben'dar]: "I don't know what the future holds Ben'dar
            but if you will be adventuring with the others after the winter
            then I would be happy to ride by your side once again. I
            heard you mention that you will be returning to Marentia to
            raise horses for a while and I was wondering if you would be
            interesting in learning the Horse Tongue?

            It would be a great gift to such a skilled horseman as yourself
            and you would no longer need a translator to communicate with
            Tef'wo. Though I do not know how much time we will have before
            parting, if that should happen, I could begin to teach you the
            rudiments if you so desire."

          Ben'dar: [Ben'Dar regards the elf solemnly.] "You've proven
            yourself brave, and a little crazy."  [Ben'Dar's leathery face
            wrinkles into a broad, toothy smile.]  "These are both good
            qualities for a warrior.  But more importantly, I trust you.
            I also would be glad to ride with you again." [He holds out
            his hand to clasp Arawn's.]

            [Ben'Dar bristles somewhat to the suggestion that he needs
            help communicating with Tef'wo, but then he relaxes as
            understanding penetrates through his thick barbarian skull.]
            "Yes, I've seen others in the group 'speak' to the horses,
            though I didn't know if it was magic or a real language."  [He
            shakes his head doubtfully.]  "I don't know how useful it is
            though.  Horses seem to respond better to constant, daily
            routine and body language like this:"  [He demonstrates by
            folding his arms across his chest, then nudging Tef'wo into a
            trot with only his knees and feet.  Tef'wo circles around and
            forms a big figure 8, stopping again next to Arawn.  All this
            is done while the reins lay slack on the big horse's neck.
            Ben'Dar is obviously proud Tef'wo as he bends down to rub and
            hug the horse's muscular neck.  But then his brow furrows in
            thought.]  "How much do horses tell when you speak their
            tongue?"

          [Arawn smiles. laughing slightly as Ben'dars comment on his
           mental faculties and grabs the warrior's outstretched hand. He
           listens as Ben'dar shares his view on the subject of horse
           'speech' before replying to his question.]

          Arawn: "How much do they share, well that depends. They do not
            see things in the way that men and women do, so their
            descriptions are flavored by their own perceptions of things
            but with time one can learn to see past this and acquire
            useful knowledge from them. Although in my case I would say
            that I enjoy conversing with them on a more personal level,
            developing a friendship through better understanding. Still,
            in regards to information, they can offer valuable insight
            at times, their senses far sharper than our own and they are
            often overlooked by others. I am sure that on more than one
            occasion you have garnered from a steed that they sense
            something amiss. Wouldn't it be nice to know exactly what it
            is they sense and from where or formulate more complex battle
            strategies? As to magic being used, for some that is true but
            there is a true  language spoken and understood by creatures
            both big and small. For most folk this is limited to body
            language and certain sounds but the tongue spoken between
            animals is more complex than that and it is this language
            that I am willing to share with you if you so desire, one
            taught without the use of magic."

          [Ben'Dar seems intrigued by this, though obvious doubt lingers
            on his face.  Finally he nods.]

          Ben'dar: "Yes, friend Arawn, I would like very much to learn
            this tongue. I feel there is much Tef'wo could tell me...more
            than any other horse ever could." [Ben'Dar pauses, considering
            how much to tell.] "Tef'wo was given to me by a Spirit of
            Nature. A goddess, I think.  When I was a prisoner in Clima,
            this group rescued me from a shameful death.  During our escape
            from that terrible place, we encountered a mysterious goddess
            who called herself Varo. She told me I would find a black
            horse that would serve as my steed." [He rubs Tef'wo's neck,
            his eyes bright with affection for the big animal.] "A horse
            unparalleled by any other horse..." [he continues almost to
            himself caresses the bejeweled leather collar that rests
            around Tef'wo's neck, and glances over at Arawn.] "See this
            jeweled collar, it is Tef'wo's. He was wearing it when he was
            given to me. I'm sure it holds within it some kind of magic,
            but I do not know what.  You are, I have heard, a child of a
            god. I do not know if this is true, or even what it truly
            means, but if it is so, perhaps you could give me answers
            regarding this collar, regarding Tef'wo, and regarding the
            Lady Varo, whom I desperately would like to see again."

          [Arawn thinks on these words.  he has never heard of a god
           named Varo.  Strange, more things he has never heard of.
           This world gets more complicated by the minute.]

          Farseeker: "Ben'dar, think before you accept.  No offense
            to Arawn.  But Thig mentioned this warning when Z'leyra
            offered to teach you it as well awhile back.  A warrior
            like yourself doesn't need to be distracted.  Think of
            a sword that can sing or talk.  Would you charge into
            battle with a sword like that? It would be distracting.
            Same with a horse talking even one as smart as Tef'wo.
            Not only would you hear Tef'wo but others like our 30
            or so horses here would be a earful for you.  It would
            be great at the ranch to learn why one horse is hurt or
            why he doesn't like to jump for example.  But in battle
            it might distract you and you lose your concentration.
            Is that worth talking to a horse?  I feel this is a
            serious step to take.  Maybe if there was a magical item
            to use it off and on.  But I'd not want to talk to my
            sword much less my horse.  I need total concentration in
            battle."

          GM: Ben'dar let me know if you want to learn it.  Arawn
              will have to get with you if so when and how.  Since
              he has to save a ton of mana he may have to wait for
              the time back home.

          [Arawn asks Unali if he can learn Katai from her via a
           Tongues spell.]

          GM: Let me know Unali.  Arawn if do it let me know but
              again you have to save a lot of mana to transform
              the horses.  A LOT! :)

          [Arawn and Unali spend time riding and viewing the Katai
           scroll for clues.]

          [Arawn speaks to Z'leyra.]
          Arawn: "If neither one of you mind, I would like the opportunity
            to study the Claw. My time with the serpent crown was limited
            but I feel that some interesting information was found, though
            I did not have the opportunity to discover more as it was
            unfortunately destroyed. I'm hoping to discover something
            similar in regards to the Claw and perhaps find to whom or
            what it is linked. Perhaps with the power of the Sacred Forest
            and the Solstice I may be able to bolster my resistance and
            enhance my abilities to read it."

          [Arawn and Z'leyra discuss at length how to examine it with
           warnings of spell failures from Z'leyra.  Arawn recalls the
           staff spell backfire.  They then discuss plans on how to
           destroy it later on.]

          GM: Much of this discussion was in ICQ between Alex/John.

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Monday...

          GM: Sorry about the delay.  I worked on it all this weekend.
              But then at the last minute some large emailed actions came
              in and I had to clarify things.  A lot of things occurred
              behind the scenes.  Then things changed and I had to
              virtually redo the entire update.  I am stopping
              at this point due to length of the update as is and to
              allow folks to catch up.  Also I need to know if
              Arawn will go to the cabin to see if he is in the next
              update (next day) or not.

                     ---------------------------

          GM: Skill Point Table [Next 5 days till end of Adventure]
              [Decalis 18-22]

                 Player      Skill          Points Earned   Recorded Now
              Ben'dar       Scimitar            10              Yes
              Farseeker     Vassa Tongue        10              Yes
              Xian          Disguise Artist      5              Yes
              Trembyl       Fighting Dagger     10              Yes
              Thig          Axe                 10              Yes
              Arawn         Smuggler             5              Yes
              Z'leyra       Horsemanship         6              Yes
              Z'leyra       Forest Survival      4              Yes
              Chion           ---Unknown---     ??              No
              Strie'bog       ---Unknown---     ??              No
              Unali           ---Unknown---     ??              No

              Ben'dar  - Now  know Scimitar at EL0!
              Farseker - Become quite fluent in Vassa
              Trembyl  - +1 EL in Fighting Dagger

              GM: If one listed for Chion, Strie'bog and Unali will
                  go with old skill sections (see timeline link).
              GM: Deadline for above is 11/1/07.

                     ---------------------------

          GM: Status of players by morning [As of Decalis 17]

               Player       Health      Energy     Mana
               Strie'bog      15%        100%       45%
               Unali          76%        100%       -

               GM: Next update will be another day so natural healing
                   may occur unless either you request healing.  Let me
                   know.

                       ---------------------------

            GM: Travel Plans [Assumptions]

                 Player         Travel to
                Ben'dar   *     Marentia, Maren, Ranch
                Chion     *     Zen'da Plains, Caladan's Village
                Farseeker *     Marentia, Sivas
                Thig      *     Pavassa Forest, Vassa
                Trembyl   *     Marentia, Sivas
                Unali     *     Marentia, Sivas/Maren
                Xian      *     Marentia, Sivas
                Z'leyra   *     Marentia, Sivas
                Strie'bog       Marentia? Vassa?
                Arawn           Marentia/Forest/Undecided which

                * - Confirmed.

              Options are 1) Stay in forest 2) Zen'da
                          3) Marentia       4) Other

                     ---------------------------

          GM: 555.24 Gold has been given to each player, including Arawn
              (as no one said he shouldn't have some share of party
              treasure).  This may change however if Arawn chooses new
              items from treasure.  Everything will be sold listed on the
              final treasure report (see website).  The L'p'nth materials
              like journals and such will be sent to Malnon for Kaylle to
              study.

                           -------------

          GM: Arawn you have offered to transmute the horses.  There
              are 26 horses in total.  Doing the math that is
              26 x 8 = 208 mana points.  You will need this amount
              at the end of the 5 days/celebration.  Those spells
              on the claw and such haven't been done.  I hope you
              can do it or Chion will have to do some costly multiple
              jumps :)

                        ----------------

          GM: Arawn wishes to discuss the following items.  I'm not sure
              what he means by discuss but here it is:
              - the MEL 10/EL 4 wand he is carrying
              - the summoning talisman
              - the Negation/Protection vs Light creatures Talisman
                (could be very useful to him:)

              The items were discovered to be as follows:
              1) 1 Wand MEL10/EL4, 24 inches, No magical power
              2) 1 Talisman MEL7/EL5, Summoning ability
              3) 1 Talisman MEL9/EL5, Negation/Protection
                 vs Light Creatures

              Arawn have you decided to take these items?  If so I
              need to figure out their prices again once sold
              and remove the amount from the 555 gold above.

                        ----------------

          GM: Since Chion will need mana for Teleport.  Z'leyra will
              need mana for Claw stuff.  Arawn will need mana for
              the Claw destruction and tons of mana for the horses
              I will do a chart to show mana usage.  Z'leyra
              has plenty of Mana so not worried about here.   I
              will follow-up next week on this chart further.

                 Player    Day   Mana    Mana Status
              Arawn        16th   9         17%/100
              Arawn        17th  23          3%/100

              GM: As you can see your very low on mana Arawn.
                  If you don't do anything until the last day
                  you'll gain 36% mana back.   Keep in mind
                  this is a guess-estimate.  I will do the math
                  crunching this weekend and can ICQ or email you
                  on more exact figures.  Keep in mind to do
                  all the horses you need 89% of total mana.  So
                  a serious issue of mana will need to be resolved :)
                  This doesn't include failures on the horses
                  and the Claw destruction which is a new slew of
                  mana. If anyone can help out in this area with
                  transmutations of their own or such let me know.
                  But Arawn might not be able to do all the horses.
                  Chion will need about 50 mana for 2 jumps from
                  Forest to Marentia.  At full mana that's about
                  3 jumps (1 forest to Marentia, 1 marentia to
                  forest and q back to Forest) before hes tapped out.
                  Arawn please figure out a mana management plan :)

                        ----------------

          GM: Lastly and finally!  Enough of this update. My
              schedule is as follows.  Assuming that I don't
              get any large influx of emails or actions over
              the next couple weeks.

              10/22  - Do second day of travel and any new actions
              10/26  - Enter sacred forest and do the celebration stuff
              10/29  - Do last of any celebration stuff and final actions

              I would like to end the adventure by 11/01.  I will
              then announce the In-between time period and we'll
              work on that for the next month or so.  But don't
              plan any actions till then just these 5 days.
              So please have any final or new actions/skill or magic
              spells by the 1st please. But if we need to extend
              the deadline we can just let me know.  Just
              a rough estimate on schedule.