[PnP] Tonah

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Mon Jul 15 02:49:17 CEST 2019

That first line i would 100% disagree with.  Give me any char you
want i can make it. As with pure experience I know how ot use the
system.  If you want a one legged blind beggar who has issues being
outside.  i can make it.
That's me.  Not everyone can I grant that.  Being a GM for 4 decades
and a programmer kinda helps. Being a detail person systems like pnp
or SFB (star fleet battles where rule lawyering is a art) is easier
case I orange the details better.
By no means am I fluent in every rule.  But i can work the system.
So I disagree pnp can do any character out there.
ok ok...maybe not a starship pilot but fantasy level ;)
As to other stuff you list that's great.  Good luck.
But my 4 hours sleep has brain fuzzy so not gonna comment more at
this time.  ;)

-----
My only grievance with P&P is that the character creation rules don't
allow my make the character concept I have in my head.
Something I liked from AD&D is kits: "A  kit is a
role-playing  tool,  a set of cultural  notes  and  minor  abilities
and restrictions  used  to further define a character."
ADD you think something from Arcanum, a CRPG, where there is list of
abilities you learn in order as you level up.
So I'm thinking of make 'kits' that are a list of abilities that you
gain and the order in which you gain them with some fluff text about
how you gain them.
So for example have a DnD style wizard. The constant reading his
spell book and memorizing his spells and paying attention to the
magics he comes across on adventure with a keen eye means a wizard
learns X spells from list A at EL0 at MEL. As a wizards understanding
of magic grows at MEL Z he can learn a spell from list A or a more
complex spell from list B.
Lee Garvin recently died and Skimisher had a sell on a bundle of the
books he wrote. I reread Noble Wild:An Animal Player's Handbook for
fantasy Role Playing games.
" In order to aid the fledgling peoples, and to place some limits on
them as well, the godsraised one of every species of animal that
walked, crawled, swam, or flew to be the king of it's kind. Each
king,in addition to being a paragon of its kind, was given the gifts
of reason and speech. Their intelligence wasincreased far above their
natural brethren, and the capacity for magic lurked within them that
would find a tastefor it. These kings and their bloodlines would
become the ruling classes of the animals, leading and protectingtheir
species." Sounds lot like the Tonah doesn't it?
IT has rules for how animals are different from humans. Like Animals
learn how to speak to different species not languages.
"The reason for this is that, to noble animals, all members of a
single species, no matter where they are originally from, speak the
same language. The only differences are in the form of differing
accents and idioms. As far as noble animals are concerned, there is
only one human language, with thousands of different accents."e
So for example A Dog might know Human and be able to speak to a human
is speaking Marentian but unable to communicate with a elf that is
speaking the same language. There is also a note that animals make
terrible translators. It doesn't go into detail, just saying,Noble
animals have a hard time even understand- ing why humans will often
need to have translators while speaking to members of their own
species. For this reason, noble animals make terrible translators."
but my rationale is that animal languages don't have a rich variety
of saying the same thing. So animals don't see the difference between
saying the same words with different accent and paraphrasing.
Most of the book is about magic. Animals don't use items so there is
alternatives for the material components of spells, scrolls and
potions, magic items.
Fore example Mat. Comps. are replaced with Blood Components that take
Hit Points form the caster. or the replacement for potions, Fetishes
"For example, a noble wolf wizard decides to grant an invisibility
fetish to a noble horse who has done him a favor. The horse now has a
shock of white hair just above his right front hoof. Anytime he
chooses he can rub the marked leg on the ground and release the
spell. The white patch will disappear, and so will the horse. Another
animal could, with the horse's permission, rub that patch of fur and
gain the benefit of the fetish, which also uses it up."
The replacement scrolls and wands is imbuing the magic is normal
animals that is turned into a unintelligent drone obedient to their
owner and are eaten(for one shot items) "The spellthrall will only
respond to the simplest of commands: "come," "stay," "follow," "sit,"
"stand," and of course, the command words to activate its special abilities."