[PnP] How do you balance encounters?

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sat Apr 19 22:00:48 CEST 2014

     Its been awhile since I GM'd P&P but the way that I did it was to
have an area of the world that the characters could adventure in. They
could hear rumors about things, (brigands on the high road, the haunted
ruins, etc.) and choose where to go and what to deal with. Some things
are too tough for them (I hope they are wise enough to avoid these or to
talk their way out or run if they fail to avoid too tough an encounter),
some a pushover, but most could be handled by using good tactics and
avoiding really bad luck. (I don't fudge the die rolls). I try to have
the encounter be reasonable given the background setting...I do reroll
encounter types that don't seem reasonable and may choose to reduce the
number immediately encountered (though the rest will be within an hours
walk) to make the encounter less hazardous (winnable).
     To calculate the difficulty of the encounter I do not have a
formula, instead I used a feel developed over many encounters as both
player and GM. But rules of thumb include:
     Don't outnumber the characters by TOO much, numbers DO matter and
allow for flanking and rear attacks which radically change the odds. The
terrain matters here as well. Horatio may have beaten many opponents on
a bridge that he only had to face one opponent at a time on, opponents
that would have quickly beaten him had they been able to surround him.
Other things that matter are such things as flying and invisibility
(note that sprites can be REALLY dangerous opponents far outperforming
their OCVs with the proper tactics - figure the situation modifiers
likely: Rear, Above, Flank, Multiple Opponents).
     Traps AND opponents together are much tougher than either alone. A
few missile armed goblins under cover behind a series of concealed traps
may be harder to beat than an ogre.
     Let the opponents be overconfident. Perhaps they are used to
beating those with OCV and DCV of 1 or 2. Likely they are NOT used to
encountering magic users. Not all encounters have to give the opponents
much of a chance.
     Rarely have more than one really tough opponent (tougher than the
average party member), let the tough guy have much wimpier flunkies.
     Magic, properly used, CAN make a huge difference...but in P&P it
doesn't always work. Indeed it can backfire (one notable example: a
wizard called lightning from the clouds to fight off brigands and turned
himself to charcoal and set the wagon he was on to fire with an abysmal
roll).

         Alex Koponen