[PnP] How do you balance encounters?

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Sat Apr 19 23:09:39 CEST 2014

Hiya.

   Well, experience. The closest "in-game" monster stat I seem to fall
back on as a base of how tough a creature is, is the creatures *CDF*. A
1 or 2 is 'only challenging in large numbers'; a CDF of 3 'maybe able to
hold his own for a bit'; a CDF of 4 or 5 is a 'pretty tough cookie'; 6,
7, 8 and up just get more and more powerful.

  Using that, and a quick glance at hits AHP, OCV and DCV and I have a
good idea how difficult it will be for the party as a whole. That said,
if a character decides to be all "tough loner type" and goes wandering
off away from camp, alone, at 2am...I STILL use the group as a base
(e.g., the group would have a challenge, but probably win....but this
single character alone...he's gonna die....and that's fine by me... >:)
). I don't "reduce it" because he is only one character...

But mainly, yeah, experience. Just keep playing and you'll develop a
good feel for power levels in the system.

^_^

Paul L. Ming