[PnP] Magic users

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Fri Oct 20 22:32:19 CEST 2006

Hiya.

   We never had that problem when we played P&P. Usually, when you had a
MU, you frequently didn't have nearly enough Expts points to have paid
for your training, AND have enough points left over to get good fighting
skills. Also, you generally upped your "MU" stats (I, W, E, Em, C), but
everything else was fairly 'low'...thus lowering your effective OCV,
DCV, HP, DTV, etc. The fragile-ness of MU's, for us, balanced out the
power they could potentially get to. I think the highest level MEL I saw
was about 6 or 7. Also, we used the "% chance you were
accepted"...usually this was really high, but I did see more than a few
players miss that roll and not get to start off as a MU.

   The other thing was that the vast spectrum of styles of characters a
player could create in P&P was so overwhelming, people had ideas for all
sorts of characters they wanted to play! 8-)

   I can see the potential amount of power a MU can have, however. So I
can understand some groups needing to control it's access somehow, or at
least "balance it for their game". I kinda like the idea of needing to
roll "Trained with skilled MU" on the Special Events table. That would
cut down dramatically the number of MU's in the group, I'm sure!

Paul L. Ming