Interesting find.

Kurgan Kurgan at FASTMAIL.FM
Sat Mar 15 18:34:05 CET 2003

Hello Jim,

    I tend to agree with most of what you said, but I do have one
    difference in opinion. Your statement that complex systems slow
    down gaming and defeat the ability to be in character is, to me,
    erroneous. I love complex systems (if fluent and logical), and
    have never had them cause me any grief. As long as the referee has
    a good grasp of those mechanics, regardless of complexity, things
    can stay smooth and fast-paced. Powers & Perils is actually a
    perfect example. Like I've said countless times before, it was the
    worst editing job in history, and ended up looking like a complex
    mess. However, once I got past that, and understood the concept
    and methodology of the rules, it became a breeze. Even combat,
    with all its variables, is quick and simple with just a slight
    amount of preparation (writing down the variables all together
    next to the weapon on the combat sheet). Complex systems, if
    written and handled well, are vastly superior to simplistic ones,
    so long as they are not convoluted or forget to follow a constant
    "theme" of logic. They need to "make sense" along with the other
    rules, and mesh together to comprise the logical whole.
    Unfortunately this isn't always the case, and we've had numerous
    examples of overly-complex and illogical monstrosities see print.
       This, of course, doesn't contradict your personal tastes,
    though. Some may simply prefer the feel and flavor of a simple
    rules set, and that's just as legitimate as my feelings as stated
    above. I only meant to challenge the notion that complex
    guarantees slow and convoluted gameplay.
       The Codex system, born from the ashes of the Icon system, is
    something I have yet to experience. However, it is being used for
    other games of varying genres, so yes, it can be done. Check out
    the new Star Trek rpg from Decipher.
       I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of Undiscovered, and am
    very hopeful it will be as much of a rare gem as it appears from a
    distance to be. I'll keep everyone posted.

Best regards,

   Kurgan

   Mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm