Interesting find.

Jim goldworthy at LYCOS.COM
Sat Mar 15 07:54:47 CET 2003

Thought the list died; hadn't received anything in a long time.
To add to the the discussion of game systems I have to say I am of the
same feelings as Burton. Complex systems, while being more realistic,
interfere with roleplaying; you can't be a character while you're looking
through rules and charts to resolve a task. I detest D&D and anything
derived from it, and as I age I want simpler not complex.

My group has recently begun playing the Lord Of The Rings Game by
Decipher. It is absolutely the best gaming experience I have ever had. The
advantage to the Codec system ,they're answer to D20, is it's
transparency. there is virtually nothing that interferes with roleplaying.
Everything is resolved against a simple task number assigned by the
narrator and two six siders are rolled. It is also a levelfree game;
everthing is based on stats or skills.

The game is genre specific tho and would be very difficult to adapt to
other fantasy settings, tho it wouldn't be impossible. I don't know if the
Codec system is available by itself like D20 which would make it possible
to use in the Perilous Lands Setting; which I love because it has just
enough to be realistic but is lacking details which you can customize to
fit your needs.

Best Wishes

Jim Gianoglio