Moral Check

Brandon Stubbs bigbeh at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 24 13:44:32 CEST 2002

>But since my brother tends to like to hire soldiers to go along with him,
>some sort of morale rules is probably a good idea.  I don't generally
>believe in morale for PC's because, well, they are special and should very
>well know when to beat feet. :}

I'll have to think about the characters being immune. The thought I had was
that the character has much higher mental stats and CDF so he would have a
much lesser chance of failing the check. The reason for a check on the
character is just to make the game more realistic. For exmaple I had a
group of players ambushed by a HUGE Ogre...they both rolled to see if they
could keep their wits and fight. One succeeded and one failed. The one that
failed had to run..like in the terror spell for a certain amount of time
then he had another chance to roll again in which he succeeded and came
back to ambush the ogre fighting the braver character. (btw he got a deadly
hit from that ambush...his first real attack roll and fight)

>|| The character will have three possible ways of deciding to
>|| stay and fight
>|| or run like a wee-baby and cry in him/her self to sleep in their huge
>|| pillows:
>|| Empathy - A friend or loved one in danger can give anyone
>|| huge boost in
>|| moral.
>|| Intelligence - When informed of stragic tactics and holding superior
>|| knowledge can be an excellent sorce of calmness.
>|| Will - Sheer refusal to give up when faced with overwelling odds.
>|| Add all three. Write it down.(ML x 10 for Simplicity)
>
>The problem with this is that it gives wizards insane morale levels
compared
>to fighters, when in reality the wizards should be the ones with quivering
>knees if it comes to knife-fighting range.

Your right. A huge warrior would be more brave in melee fight. But even he
I think wuld be afraid in many circumstances, even against powerful
wizards. Perhaps CEL can be taken off the roll to his advantage.
What I wanted to create was the character with greater mental capabilities
being the greater leader of group. (Like Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo, Aragorn,
Drizzt, many others from numerous stories of other hero's). I want to
create are well rounded characters that are not just great in combat but
seem to succeed in any encounter. Because fear is an attack on your mental
attributes I chose those with greater mental attributes as being the
greatest weapon against fear.

>Since the CDF formula already takes into account all the elements such as
>AHP, magical capacity, etc, then CDF itself should be the main factor.

Good thinking. Thanks! Let me run the numbers. :-)I'll get back to you on
what I find.

>-----/* begin rant */-------
>I have never been 100% fond of the CDF formula -- it is in essence HP * HP,
>plus other modifiers, so it effectively rewards players for fighting dumb
>mounds of meat.  I have played around with coming up with a better formula,
>but have not found one to my liking yet.  Something that factors in OCV and
>DCV as well as EL, which have as much an influence on combat ability as
>AHP does.

I totally agree. When examining some of the characters CDF's I found that
the formula to be completly wrong. My wife played an assassin that was EL
15 and so deadly even my greatest of warriors would be more than a little
hesitant to fight her. And great mages give only a fraction of exp cause
their AHP are so low. When using your weapon skills to fight, wouldn't you
learn as much from a quick enemy as you would from a muscular one? I think
you might even learn more from an evasive Daoine Sidh than from a slow
moving wall like a giant.

>I was thinking of something along the lines of:
>  0.5 + (OCV+DCV+EL)/10
>This would be multiplied for poison or magic or whatever.  Granted, it no
>longer gives you 22 EXP for a AHP 11 Joe Average fighter, but instead gives
>you 11. (OCV 2, DCV 2, EL 1).  In theory, AV should also be factored in
>someplace.

>In any case, it's not a perfect system and could use work and playtesting.

Let me apply this to the creature list...I'll reply on what I find.

Sorry ran out of time. I'll write later.

Hangin,
Brandon