Moral Check

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Thu May 23 03:57:37 CEST 2002

At 03:31 PM 5/20/02 -0400, you wrote:
>|| Someone mentioned a moral check on the the party. I can't
>|| find any info on
>|| this, but in the mass combat option it uses a moral check.
>
>The mass-combat rules are nearly 100% transliterated from the GURPS rules I
>have.  Some day, like when I am faced with having to deal with armies again,
>I should see about making the core rules more "P&P-ish".

Oh I've not read th emass combat rules in a long time. I'll have to consult
it.

>But since my brother tends to like to hire soldiers to go along with him,
>some sort of morale rules is probably a good idea.  I don't generally
>believe in morale for PC's because, well, they are special and should very
>well know when to beat feet. :}

I agree.  I just think morale for pcs would be x2 or x3 for efffectiveness
since
pcs would get scared in some situations.  If a party sees 10 dragons flying
toward
them ...I'd hope the pcs would run :)

>|| The character will have three possible ways of deciding to
>|| stay and fight
>|| or run like a wee-baby and cry in him/her self to sleep in their huge
>|| pillows:
>|| Empathy - A friend or loved one in danger can give anyone
>|| huge boost in
>|| moral.
>|| Intelligence - When informed of stragic tactics and holding superior
>|| knowledge can be an excellent sorce of calmness.
>|| Will - Sheer refusal to give up when faced with overwelling odds.
>|| Add all three. Write it down.(ML x 10 for Simplicity)
>
>The problem with this is that it gives wizards insane morale levels compared
>to fighters, when in reality the wizards should be the ones with quivering
>knees if it comes to knife-fighting range.
>
>Since the CDF formula already takes into account all the elements such as
>AHP, magical capacity, etc, then CDF itself should be the main factor.

I extracted the info and will read over your material later...