Shield rules

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun Dec 15 05:38:27 CET 2002

At 02:34 AM 12/13/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hiya.
>
>  I'm a bit more "unorthodox" with shields. For me, I figure you should get
>experties in it if you use it in combat. If you never get a shield hit, so
>what? Who's to say that you didn't use your shield to push him a bit, or
>distract him with it? Maybe your opponent is so damn good he always gets
>past your shield...that doesn't mean that you didn't use it, or that you
>didn't learn anything. Well, in my book that's what it means. :)
>
>  So, I generally give out XPT on a case by case basis; if you used your
>shield in combat, and it never got hit, and niether did you, I'll give
>something like 1 to 4. If you got hit, and so did your shield, I give the 2x
>CDF. If you get hit, and your shield never does, I give something like 1x
>CDF. Pretty loose, but fair.

Yeah.  Even this seems a bit more fair than in the book method.  I guess
its how it is face value.  I tend to take it case by case.  Just cause
a rock is thrown at someone and you just reflex bring up your arm which
happens to have a shield on it and the rock hits the shield doens't mean
you learn next time to use the shield.  Just means you have good
reflexes :)
Its a symbiotic relationship sometimes between shield and arm/body.
So I guess the only wayt to do it is case by case.