CD Update

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Tue Nov 28 21:52:00 CET 2000

I'd have to agree with you Alex.  One has to be pretty much trying to die
of exposure in order to do it.  3 hours is what they say though (those
survivalist people on the Discovery Channel).  I personally have slept
under the stars many a night and am still alive.  This includes hours spent
outside sleeping in snow (I was born and raised in Vermont & upsate NY and
we occasionally did this for "fun").  I would also note that an Inuit
(that's eskimo for most of you) has survived days in Icy North Pacific
waters... the others with him did not make it.  Interesting adaptation they
have, that vein relaxation under cold conditions thingie... I would also
note that 3 hours in the sun of a desert can cause iminent dehydration...

I think what the survivalist mean is that if you are shivering or sweating,
you have three hours to find shelter before you die, loose limbs,
whatever.  Shivering being the first sign of a lowered body temperature
(sweating meaning you are hot ;).  Once the BT drops you are on your way
out if not helped.

Additionally, even heavily dressed, well prepared people have to be wary as
well.  I know that it doesn't seem to happen very often, but people die of
exposure all the time.  It even happens in areas that are highly
inhabited.  I would not go against a bum when he says a cardboard box is
his home, for truly he understands its importance to his survival.

-Marcel aka maouse

ps. please also note that covering oneself in snow does protect one from
the elements... take into account once again the Inuit & their typical
dwelling (of course they sometimes have a fire going, but often just get
naked and lay under furs under the snow... and all the dogs have is the
snow to cover with and they make it).

pps. always wanted to go to Alaska :)  (I just like the idea that I'm
leaving the US, driving for a while through Canada, and then returning to
the US without ever turning around)