CD Update

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Tue Nov 28 20:27:10 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maouse" <maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
>(I would note that the rule of 3 should be
> in effect - 3 hours without shelter = death by exposure,
> -Marcel aka maouse
>
> please also note, that the 3 hours for exposure begin when one STOPS
> activity, not when one sets out (and does apply to well prepared persons,
> not ill equiped ones).

Hmmm...As one who used to do a fair bit of camping as well as fighting
forest fires and other outdoor activity in the extreme environment of Alaska
I question the 3 hours w/o shelter = death. 15 minutes in icy water, yes,
overnight in a snowbank, maybe (we had an ambulance run where a drunk fell
asleep for 6+ hrs in a snowbank, he lost his hands and feet to frostbite but
didn't die.) I've had some very uncomfortable nights spent shivering in the
cold that would count as exposure for around 9 hours w/o any long term
problems.
        Alex