P&P

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Mon Jan 31 00:04:21 CET 2000

Hello All,

    I'm glad to see that people are still playing P&P. I'm thinking of
getting back into it, or even rewriting it to correct what I saw as some of
its flaws.
    Problems with P&P:
        Steep learning curve (I have been playing RPGs since 1976 and had
been writing one with the idea of selling it to Avalon Hill when P&P came
out...So much for that idea...At first it looked worse than C&S for
playability. It took me 3 weeks to fully grasp the rules and the elegance
contained therein.) It is easier to learn with someone to guide you.

        Many who aren't comfortable with basic math probably are turned off
P&P because the math requirement.

        Creatures and characters use different stats (that this is a problem
takes awhile to figure out).

        Magic is too powerful, too fast. (I don't mind world shaking magic,
but I feel it is attained far too quickly in P&P. Not to mention some spells
are out of whack).

        Not enough support (new scenarios, rules, maps, et cetera).

    Despite these problems it is perhaps the best system using an abstract
combat system (each attack being the effective result of so many seconds
worth of attacks and parries). [Note: I think GURPS is the best non-abstract
system and RuneQuest is the best intermediate system of those I'm familiar
with.]

    I will join the list and perhaps (as time allows) attempt to do a
rewrite of P&P for the enjoyment of us all. For this any files on P&P would
be useful, particularly the Book I & II mentioned in the list.

Enjoy,        Alex Koponen
akoponen at mosquitonet.com