[pnpgm] Update #102, File 759 - Raddok feels lost

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 27 17:06:07 CET 2019

[Well, that took some research - lol; good thing I had downloaded P&P, V2 - :) -I'm seeing this creature for the first time :o]

Thanking Mournath for helping him to his feet, he found himself leaning on the Navigator's shoulder until the dizziness passed, and was soon able to stand steadily enough to head with a couple others toward a sudden noise in the darkness - it sounded like an attack - maybe an animal? Raddok grasped his mace more firmly & braced his shield upon his shoulder once again. He could yet get in a few good swipes if this was an attack. He could vaguely see a hint of movement in the darkness ahead, and moved that way, slightly behind Kiet.

Suddenly there was a yelp behind him, and he swung around, alarmed at another possible frontal attack, but only for a moment; Z'leyra & Arawn were back there & could be trusted to handle almost anything for the moment - & Raddok had just spotted something very large ahead of them, struggling with smaller, human figures - there seemed to be multiple attackers, beast-like in the darkness, fighting with members of the party who he had vaguely noticed once earlier skirting around the edges of the party's path, as if scouting. As he and Kiet got closer, now moving as fast through the darkness as they could, although Raddok felt himself dragging a bit, afraid of tripping over a root in the darkness & falling, & being unable to get up again in time to help.

Suddenly the rain ended, almost as if they had entered a different room, and he could see much more clearly. The fight seemed to be over. Two creatures, one over six feet tall, were on the soaking wet ground, mud everywhere. He could not believe his eyes - what were those things? Snake? Ape? His mouth fell open in surprise. He dragged his eyes from the hideous heads, and looked about, eyes wide, looking for any more of these monsters that might be hiding in the shrubbery or trees, of what now appeared to be a open forested area. There were rocks, like those found on high forested hills, also potential hiding places.

He spotted Fremea, lying very still, blood on her neck-shoulder area although she seemed to be breathing alright. Pyan and Unali also looked the worse for wear, Unali with a similar wound in the same area, as if attacked and bitten from behind, both also scanning the area for more enemies.

"What in the names of all the gods are those things?," Raddok asked. "What happened - where are we - or is it when are we?" he wondered aloud, then snapped back to the present. "What's wrong with Fremea? Are you okay, Unali?" He wanted to pick up the faerry, but felt unequal to the task - he did not want to put away the mace, & needed to keep his shield where it was. If he tried to lower it, he didn't think he'd be able to lift it again without dropping the mace to do so. "Maybe we should to get everyone back to the healers? I can stand watch, if needed, wherever." He said this, despite feeling that he would be wiser to get his shoulder cared for. But looking at Fremea & Unali, & suddenly remembering Barbosa, he decided he'd better just wait his turn - his injury was minor compared to the dwarf's lethal wounds. And he didn't want to face Dorhak and complaining of a mere shoulder wound.

Taking a deep breath, he asked, this time loud enough for the others to hear, "Does anyone have any idea of where we are - or when, maybe?" He looked up at the sky - clouds now scattering - the stars... It was - all wrong, somehow.

(Raddok will remain as alert and ready for battle as he can, mace in hand, shield resting on his shoulder/upper arm to keep its weight off as much of his arm as possible, to relieve the strain on his wound, since his pack is strain enough on his wound - maybe the pack prevented a worse injury? -, even with his stamina/strength. If any creatures appear, he will defend the wounded as best he can.)

Bess L. Hadley