[pnpgm] Game Update #53 - File #481 - Pirate combat begins

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 02:23:52 CET 2019




    Character Name   Type       Player        Sex           Notes
..Arawn...........Druid...John.Haight........Ma..Alfar/Backup Navigator
..Dorhak..........Warrior.Kevin.Newark.......Ma..Captain/Leader/Dwarf
..Fremea..........Sidh....Tobie.Bonahoom.....Fe..Faerry/Archer/Magician
..Ix..............Shaman..Rachelle.Gauthier..Fe..Human/Shaman
..Kiet............Acrobat.David.Sanders......Me..Human/Magician
..Maelorna........Dancer..Don.Kerr...........Fe..Human/Seductress
..Mournath........Sailor..Gibert.Isla........Ma..Human/Navigator
..Pyandalgor......Hunter..Panthera...........Ma..Human/Hunter
..Raddok..........Miner...Bess Hadley........Ma..Human/Miner
..Unali...........Ninja...Wout.Broere........Fe..Human/Dagger Maiden
..Z'leyra.........Healer..Alex Koponen.......Fe..Human/Shaman/1st Mate
..Barbasa.........Warrior.Npc................Ma..Dwarf/Outcast
..Brutto..........Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #1
..Finn............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #2
..Ardrackle.......Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #3
..Zepp............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #4
..Corona..........Eagle...Npc................Ma..Companion to Z'leyra
..Zol.Zim.........Wolf....Npc................Ma..Zehani Wolf/Ix's Friend

         Game Web Site - http:/nrgcomputers.com/pbem/
         Public posts/actions to pnpgm at list.powersandperils.org (mailing list)
         Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

         Game Update #53 sequence (file #481)
         ----------------------------------------------------------------

         Admin Notes: None.
         ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
         [Recap]


            From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
               Fremea is not happy that she slipped up and forgot to...

               It is just funny to her that a 
bird can toss up that much nasty and still fly. 
Hopefully she never has to learn that skill.
            GM: Ack. What goes up must go down. 
;) Bird barely made it from  drowning. Once it 
was back in normal form the extra mass had to go 
somewhere so either explode or both ends explosion.  What goes in must go out.

             From Raddok; [Re: Actions]
                 Apris 24th:

                 After a bitterly cold day, one 
where Raddok was glad to have his...

                 Apris 26: Today, Raddok is 
wearing his leather armor as usual, and nervously 
checks that his leather helmet is strapped securely, because 

            GM: Ack.  Good post.  But was actually 27th not 26th for pirate.

            From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
               Banishment.  Banishment.  Gods! 
Kiet wishes his headache could be banished.  
.200

                 ***********
                 Later, when the pirates begin 
the chase, barring orders from Captain RedWall, 
Kiet goes to gather his things then heads 
aft.  Weapons, helmet, shield, Tulwar, armor if 
there is time...and, most especially, his 
wand.  He thinks it will be sorely needed.  He 
will take what cover is available, even if he has 
to move stuff on deck.  He will use his boots for 
speed if it helps him get below deck and back.
            When the enemy ship to the stern gets 
about 200’ from our ship, Kiet will cast his 
elemental power spell for air at maximum EL thru 
his wand and using The Wind.  After this, Kiet 
will cast lightning bolts back at the ship using 
his magic bracer to supply the mana.  No more 
than four times.  Try to make the sails 
burn.  And aim one bolt at the most flashy target on the pirate ship.
             If any ship gets within 50’, 
unload two Smokeless Flame spells from the rings, 
not more than two blasts per ship.
             If the ship to the stern veers off, 
head forward to give the same treatment to what is ahead.
            GM: Ack. Good actions.

            From Unali: [Re: Actions]
               Unali will wait on deck to see if 
there will be a boarding party and then attack.
               OOC: Thanks to Tobie for saving the HD.
            GM: Ack. Definite Kudos to 
Tobie.  Not going to don Chain? Oh never mind ship/water. :)

            From Dorhak: [Re: Actions]
                 Dorhak is fairly used to making 
decisions, and has thought about...

                 "Arawn!  Ix!  Head forward and 
do what you can with the ship 
.
            GM: Ack. Chicken with a ship I love it!  Now we can have some fun!

            From Mournath: [Re: Actions]
                 [in response to Dorhak]Â  Yes 
captain! [Mournath grabs the ship's wheel and 
concentrates on aligning the ship as Dorhak has asked]
            GM: Ack.  Wow no 'your nuts' glare? :)

            From Raddok: [Re: Actions]
                 When Raddok hears Dorhak's orders, he salutes and heads...
            GM: Ack.

            From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
                 Z'leyra yells "Prepare for 
battle!" Then goes and gets her armor on and 
weapons slung. Leaving it up to the captain as to which strategy to pursue.

                 She will cast clairvoyance on 
herself at Max EL just before the enemy gets 
within bow range, then she will use up her quiver 
of arrows attempting to reduce the enemies 
numbers. As this should make her a target she 
will attempt to position herself to get partial cover from a mast.
                 If there is boarding she will fight with her great sword.
            GM: Ack. Which Armor?

            From Pyan:
                 Pyan gets his sword and shield 
ready for when the boards get to close to use his 
bow. He then recalls a story from his tribe that 
tells how a brave warrior acts in the chaos of 
battle as he prepares himself for what might be 
the largest battle he's ever been it.
            GM: Ack. Good use of tribal lore. :)

            From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
                 Fremea will light up the ship, 
starting with the sails, or if she spots anything 
else that would be very flammable. Otherwise, she 
will just start to shot at the steer-man 
(whatever it is called that is at the wheel) or 
anyone that seems to be in command.
            GM: Ack.  Assume light up is fire not lights light. :)

            From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
                 OOC:

                 Sorry for the late reply to this 
post. This season has been an exhausting one to 
the point that I didn't check my email in almost a month.
                 IC:
                 Seeing Fremea take off towards one of the ships Arawn 
.

                 [Flight (Max EL) followed by 
Invisibility (Max EL using Sidh Tongue to boost) 
and head towards the other ship. Will recast 
Flight and Invisibility before duration expires if needed.
                 Once near the ship he'll cast 
Friendly Current (Max EL, using Wand and Elder 
Water Tongue. Recast without Elder Water Tongue 
if needed) to oppose/slow down the pirate ship. 
Once this is done he'll cast Sonic Destruction 
(Max EL using Sidh Tongue to boost) on the 
sail/rigging/mast to further cripple the vessel.]
            GM: Ack.  Other ship I assume behind you not coming to you.

            From Raddok: [Re: Actions]
                 If Raddok is close enough to 
hear Arawn's request, he will quickly volunteer 
to get the elf's armor & any weapon with it, and 
will run as quickly as he can (great sword now 
sheathed) to Arawn's bunk area (or the designated 
area Arawn gives him), & return asap to the deck 
to give him his armor equipment. Raddok will 
offer to help him don the armor, before returning 
to his shelter behind barrels located midship.
            GM: Ack.

         -------------------------------------------------------------
         [New Stuff]


         [Apris 23rd, 1636TH]
         [Time: 12;12 pm]

            Banishment.  Banishment.  Gods!  Kiet 
wishes his headache could be banished.  He holds 
his hand over the wound, making a small mess.

            Kiet is on the deck, looking both 
like lying down on it and leaning against the 
bulkhead.  He groans out loud and says "A little help here, please".

            "Z'leyra!  Would you mind helping me 
with this?"  He gestures to his head.

            Kiet doesn't understand why the cloud 
elemental would come after them.  He hopes beyond 
Hope it's not because of anything he has 
done...or mis-done as the case may be.  Perhaps 
he will seek an answer at a later time.

           Kiet waits for help but its slow as 
the winds need to fade to allow people to 
actually move rather pushed back by a gale force wind.

                         -------

         [Apris 24th, 1636TH]
         [Time: 10:11 pm]

            Raddok is ready to leave the cold 
deck after the very grueling cold watch.

            After a bitterly cold day, one where 
Raddok was glad to have his quilted armor, 
donning it under the leather armor, he was even 
happier be using his shield & mace that day, for 
a freezing miserable wind storm came up at the 
end of his night watch. He tried to use his 
shield as a wind break to protect his face and 
hands a bit, although he had to fight to keep the 
shield in place; he could feel his arm muscles 
working - even his legs as they braced against 
the storm. He was delighted to see his relief 
arrive, gladly handing over duty to them. He 
did  not linger to converse, just gave them a 
well-wish that the wind would soon die down.

                 ---------

         [Apris 25th, 1636TH]
         [Time: 3;08 am]

            Fremea is not happy that she slipped 
up and forgot to calculate the movement of the 
ship when she sent the dragon up, but at least 
she could help get the mess cleaned up. "I will 
send things out, way far next time."

           Finn grins, “gotta admit though...that 
was a fun sight of that dragon going splat.”

            Dorhak glares at the sailor and 
wonders if the ship will ever clean up again.

                 ---------

         [Apris 27th, 1636TH]
         [Time: 2:05 pm]

            Today, Raddok is wearing his leather 
armor as usual, and nervously checks that his 
leather helmet is strapped securely, because he 
knew they were in Dechat pirate waters now. His 
great sword is sheathed & ready, having been 
cleaned and polished - pirates made him restless 
& he had found himself that morning, upon 
awakening, checking and cleaning every piece of 
his armor carefully, as much to keep his mind 
occupied as to have his gear in good shape.

            As the ship approaches a strange ship 
along the Dechat coast, he finds his adrenaline 
rising. He spots the Bhamoti flag, as everyone 
else does, but he is not reassured for more than 
a few moments. All that meant, according to 
stories he'd heard, and from one experience in 
his past, was that this particular ship would not 
attack them immediately. Of course, if it was 
truly Bhamoti, then they were fine, but it was 
all too easy for pirates to carry any number of 
flags, especially since they need merely collect 
them from attacked ships, & trade such flags 
among themselves, as decoys in raiding.

            It just seemed too odd that that ship 
would stop in such a dangerous spot to do repairs 
- it would be safer to do them at sea, despite 
the ship rocking, as long as they had what they 
needed. When the ship waved them on, not asking 
help, he frowned. He felt his hair begin to stand 
on end, and he looks around for either Arawn, 
Unali or Dorhak. Whichever one is closest, or on 
duty, he will ask where he should post himself to 
prepare for a pirate attack, possibly from both 
in front of them AND behind them at once.

            This is where he'll be standing, when 
the 2nd ship appears. He turns, in place, to wait 
(& possibly ask, if a ship's officer is nearby) 
for orders, since his has no distance weapon. He 
slips his sword partly out of its sheath, then 
slides it back in - he will not draw the sword 
until a ship is close enough for him to need it - 
no point in tiring his arms until necessary. Once 
he knows where he's needed, he'll draw the sword 
move to his place, and rest the tip of the sword 
on the deck, holding it relaxed in both hands, 
until time to fight. He WILL try to place himself 
behind a crate or boxes to protect himself from 
arrows, but also be ready to run & put out 
flaming arrows that might hit around him.

            [Time: 2:08:00 pm]

            Dorhak is fairly used to making 
decisions, and has thought about this 
some.  Understanding the ship to aft is closest, he decides on assignments.

            "Arawn!  Ix!  Head forward and do 
what you can with the ship ahead.  Kiet! 
Z’leyra!  Head aft and do what you can to ward 
them off.  We don’t need to destroy them, just 
scare 'me off.  The rest of you gather amid-ship 
to repel borders."  He looks over to Mournath and 
continues "Except you.  You need to stay at the 
helm.  I want you to close directly on the ship 
ahead.  We’re gonna play 'chicken'."

            "Gather what weapons and arms you 
have time to reach.  Make sure you are using what cover you can find."

            looking around some more, he mumbles 
"Where is that blasted faerry?"

            Dorhak turns to Mournath he says. "I 
want to get close to the ship ahead, but not so 
close we hit him.  I want to pass him and make 
him turn around.  It may gain us some time..”

            Mournath nods, “Yes captain!” He 
grabs the ship's wheel and concentrates on 
aligning the ship as Dorhak has asked.

            When Raddok hears Dorhak's orders, he 
salutes and heads amid-ship,moving to whichever 
side seems most likely to receive boarders, 
crying out "Aye, aye, Captain!"  He draws the 
great sword in readiness, but looks to arrange 
himself behind at least partial cover, in case of 
archers, settling behind the lockers & watching 
the approaching ships, ready to fight.

            [Time: 2:10:00 pm]

            Seeing Fremea take off towards one of 
the ships Arawn decided to address the other. 
Several options flashed through his mind but he 
made his decision quickly.  "If someone can bring 
my armament to the deck I'm going to see about slowing down the other ship."

            [Time: 2;10;30 pm]
            [Phase 110]

               Ship A is now 1,564 feet behind 
the ship while ship B is 2,740 feet in front of 
ship.  Fremea is invisible flying toward ship B 
now 375 feet in front of the Black Depths.

            Arawn hears Raddok offer to get his 
gear as he watches both ships.  Last time he saw 
Fremea she was flying toward Ship B.  So Arawn 
turns to study Ship A. If that ship can be 
disabled it may give some edge for the party.  A 
minute and half later Raddok rushes to give Arawn 
his gear.  It takes another minute to get all his gear on and ready.

            Dorhak holds his shield and mace as 
he orders things moved or gives orders to prepare for boarding.

            Ix with help of Zol Zim's fast 
piggy-back ride goes below to get her gear and 
then heads back up.  She moves as ordered to the 
front of the ship.  She tries to watch the water 
but only sees the faint glimmer of water.  Ship B 
is too far to make out detail wise for her.  The 
wolf growls in nervous tension.

            Kiet with his boots active moves like 
a whirl-top toy grabbing empty crates near the 
lockers.  He then moves 3 crates behind 
Mournath.  It will only cover him from the rear 
but not sides but it will at least help.  Then 
moving to the aft he waits for Ship A to get closer.

            Mae heads below and grabs her 
crossbow and quiver as well as a dagger. Finally 
pirates possibly more pets for some fun!  Then 
she moves topside to wait for action.

            Mournath moves to the steering wheel 
to relieve Zepp.  He unclasp the safety lash to 
his sword in his sheath.  He processes the order 
– chicken with tons of ships is not easy. Does he 
have authority to turn away or does he wait for Dorhak to call it?

            Pyan moves to a locker to get is bow 
and quiver.  He grabs his other gear and quickly 
dons his armor.  In his homeland pirates do not 
exist.  Not even river pirates.  Its not the most 
populated area in the middle world.  But to have 
not one but two ships and probably outnumbered 5 
to 1? That is a story for his journal.

            Raddok after helping Arawn moves to 
his spot in the middle.  He only starts to shift things around for cover.

            Unali considers her chain but would 
take a few minutes.  So for no armor she'll have 
to work and not be hit.  She does not draw her 
yet as she watches the ships get closer.

            Z'leyra yells "Prepare for battle!" 
Then goes and gets her armor on and weapons 
slung. Leaving it up to the captain as to which 
strategy to pursue.  She breathes fast just 
putting her armor on and gets to top deck then rushes to the aft to join Kiet.

            Barbosa helps the sailors move water 
barrels to the rigging just in case. Then grabs his shield and mace.

            The sailors already weary of these 
waters are wearing their leather armor and are 
wearing swords already.  They prepare the rigging 
for what is called fast-shifting of the ships – a 
sailor process to rig ropes and pulleys to 
quarantine sections of the sails if damaged to prevent say fire spreading.

            A floating unseen object – a floating 
buoy size of a dagger bumps against the front of 
the ship.  Those in the area hear nothing but the 
splash of the waves. The buoy made to slide down 
and under the ship reaches almost the middle and 
releases its content a mana bomb mixed with a few 
dispel wards.  The spell ends the friendly 
current cast by Arawn.  But no one knows this as 
the superior wind currents as so fast the shift 
is undetected.  Since it is far below no one 
detects the magic.  The mana bomb also would have 
disrupted any magic on the very bottom of the 
ship – which is useless as non exist there.

            Four shapes in the water shim closer undetected as well.

            [Time: 2:13:30 pm]
            [Phase 170]

            Now Ship A is only 364 feet away 
since it uses the tailwind to help it move faster 
than ship B.  Ship B is 2,140 feet away and 
pointed at Black Depths. Fremea is 825 feet away 
from Black Depths or 1,315 or so feet away from Ship B.

            Mournath realizes these pirates are 
clever.  They use the winds from the NW to drive 
ship A to chase fast.  Where ship B is the black 
depths must change course slightly to either open 
sea in the west or south avoiding the ship in the 
south east and the coast in the east.  A classic 
maneuver for pirates.  Most would flee to open 
sea and might just make it.  But with 2 ships 
giving chase they could chase slowly and wait it 
out.  But this captain wants to play a game – 
using tons of wood in the process.  At this rate 
chances are there will be boarding action.

            Z'leyra casts Clairvoyance on herself 
and then prepares her bow for target 
practice.  Course while her vision is clouded by 
the spell missile fire will be less effective.

            Arawn casts invisibility upon himself 
then casts a flight spell.  He jumps off the ship and moves toward ship A.

            [Time: 2:13:36 pm]
            [Turn 14: Phase 4 - [Phase 172]]

            Ship A is now 204 feet away just 
beyond bow range.  Ship B is 2,140 feet away with 
Fremea 840 feet in front of black depths.

            Finn yells to Dorhak, “shouldn't all bow-users be aft for now?”

            Moments earlier 4 specially geared 
pirate divers reached the Black Depths – rather 
just waited and floated for it to reach 
them.  Seconds ago they release the package of a 
spell bomb to trigger a anti-speed spell on the 
ship to slow it down.  But today the winds are 
not helping out.  Now two of the divers nod to 
their pals and throw grappling hooks to the 
railing.  Very skilled and well muscled men they 
climb the ropes and climb overboard in only a 
couple seconds as if boosted somehow.  Two men 
are now standing middle of the ship on port and 2 
on starboard.  They pull swords from sheaths and 
one speaks out.  “Surrender or we sink the 
ship!”  He speaks in Cerulean.  Unali understands 
it well but Kiet seems to hear something about 
the ship but no context.  Raddok is confused by the statement.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Saturday?

         GM: So if I did this 2 phases per update 
it'd be 50+ updates.  So I ran the logistics and 
fast forwarded based on how long it took to gear 
up and get into position.  I hope my math is 
correct.  It will take probably 30 seconds for 
Ship A to reach Black Depths.  That's about 10 
phases to fire bows. I hoped to do a bit more but 
started 4 hours late today (not my fault) so ran 
out of time.  Will try to do  it on Saturday 2 
phases.  So from now on it'll be 2 phases.    In 
the last chart on what gear is used I will assume 
no chain mail unless stated otherwise.  Many do 
have chain and could don it but would have little 
other time in those 3 minutes above.  Will assume 
leather/rings etc.  This is marked by * in chart below.

       GM: Language Necklace Use: Roll W+EM or less
               Buff: +Em Mar 24th, +W Mar 29th

                 Character           Date         Learning          Notes
               Raddok              Mar 26th   Marentian           Success
               Pyan                Mar 29th   Eagle from Corona   Fail
               Pyan                Mar  30th  Eagle from Corona   Success
               Kiet                Apr  3rd   Bhamotin            Success
               Unali               Apr  4th   Bhamotin from Kiet  Success
               Fremea              Apr  5th   Bhamotin from Kiet  Success
                   Unali               Apr  19th   Cerulean from Arawn Success
                   Raddok            Apr  22nd    Cerulean from Arawn Success
                 Raddok              Apr  23rd    Fomorian from Unali Failure
                 Raddok              Apr  24rd    Fomorian from Unali Failure
                 Raddok              Apr  25rd    Fomorian from Unali Failure
                 Raddok              Apr  26th    Fomorian from Unali Success


         GM: Watch Assignments:

                 First  ( 7-10pm) - Dorhak, Raddok, Ix
                 Second (10- 1am) - Arawn, Mae, Pyan
                 Third  ( 1- 4am) - Fremea, Z'leyra, Mournath
                 Fourth ( 4- 7am) - Unali, Kiet, Barbasa

            GM: Spells

                     Player         Spell  EL  Start   Duration ends  Cast #
                  Arawn  Flight        Max 2:13:36 2:15:12                   1
                  Fremea Invisibility  Max 2:11:00 2:14:00            2
                  Z'leyra        Clairvoyance 
Max 2:13:00 4:13:00                   1

            GM: Record keeping

                    Player             Notes 
                                             Location
                   Arawn                 Scale, 
Bow, Shield, Sw, Dagger, Helm, Wand   Aft
                   Dorhak                Armor*, 
Mace/Shield, Dagger, Sword                  Amidship
                   Fremea                Leather, 
Bow, Dagger, Sword                         Flying
                   Kiet          Leather*, 
Dagger, Tulwar, Shield, Helm, Wand Aft
                   Ix            Leather, Helm, 
Sword, Bow, Dagger                   Front
                   Mae 
Crossbow, Quilted, Dagger                          Amidships
                   Mournath              Leather, 
Spear, Knives                             Wheel
                   Raddok                Grt Sw, 
Dagg, Quilted/Leather, Helm         Amidships
                   Unali         Many daggers, 
Sling, Armor, Helm, Bow      Amid-ship
                   Z'leyra               Dragon 
Armor, Staff, Great Sword, Helm, Bow Aft


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.powersandperils.org/pipermail/pnpgm/attachments/20190109/42041a3b/attachment.html>


More information about the pnpgm mailing list