[pnpgm] Game Update /#40c- File #291 - Z'leyra pleaseds her case at lunch

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 01:25:40 CET 2016

   HT     Player        DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #40c sequence (file #291)

          [None]

           [Ticasi]
           [Decalis 24th, 1634TH]

           [Reserved lunch room]
           [Time: 12:21 pm]

             Z'leyra ends the full introductions and starts to
           speak her desires.  But first she must explain some
           history to those who know and those who may not.  Much of
           the speech the party heard last night at dinner.

             "Some of you already know this, Those newer to our fellowship
           may know only parts. This as I told the story to Kaylle the
           Legendmaster."

             "More than a quarter century ago a promising young Ticasi
           scholar of a well to do family came upon and verified the
           interesting fact that weapons made by the Kameri tribe were
           known to be stronger, less likely to break than other weapons
           made by human hands. Somehow the steel was made tougher. This
           scholar, a charming and adventurous man and knowledgeable in
           metal crafts scandalized his family by traipsing off into the
           wilderness seeking the Kameri in hopes of learning the secret.

             With pluck and luck the scholar, Tiren by name, made it
           though a thousand miles of wilderness terrain inhabited by
           hostile tribes to the Kameran, the lands of the Kameri. Quite
           the adventure, unfortunately his notes about the trip were later
           destroyed in a fire. For his winning a word challenge the Kameri
           gave him one month's visitation privileges, only to be
           extended by word of a shaman. In that month Tiren managed to
           impress and marry a young Kameri shaman, Z'nayha.  By all
           accounts they truly loved each other and were happily married.
           Z'nayha extended his visit month by month until she died."

             Kell and Fremea notice Z'leyra's uncle and cousin flinch or
           smile as if in agreement or not.  It is unclear.  The others
           remain mostly emotionless.

             "Less than a year after his arrival in the Kameran, Tiren was
           the father of identical twin girls Z'layha and Z'leyra. In
           the following years Tiren and Z'nayha had two sons and another
           daughter.

             Tiren did learn the Kameri metalworking secret, though to do
           so he had to swear great oaths of secrecy. After eight years
           in the Kameran Tiren managed to send a message to Ticasi saying
           that he was well, had married and had children. Almost another
           ten years would pass before an event would uproot his life and
           send him back to Ticasi. Their daughters had been inducted into
           the mystic lodges, Z'layha and Z'leyra had been taught the
           greater secrets and just initiated as young shaman when
           Z'nayha, wandering in the woods as she was wont to do, failed
           to come home one night. Her body was soon found where she had
           apparently stepped into a deathtrap that a hunter had set for
           a rogue bear. Her death ended Tiren's visitation privilege."

             On the other side of the partition Pyan hears these words
           and cringes.  He wonders if she blames all hunters..   He
           strains his ears to hear the rest.

             "At Tiren's request the tribe considered his desire to take
           his children with him and ultimately allowed him to take one
           of his children, Z'layha or Z'leyra having finished their
           studies and of an age to make their own decisions. Tiren thought
           that Z'layha's pet wolf would be harder to fit in Ticasi
           society than Z'leyra's pet eagle. The tribe determined that
           Z'leyra was a redundant shaman and allowed her to be sent with
           her father back to 'civilized' lands after he had told the
           elders and chiefs the advantages to having someone learn
           civilized skills and magic. She was 17 years of age when she
           left."

             Some in the audience wonder why she is talking in the third
           person about herself.

             At this last set of lines Fremea and Kell watch the group.
           There is some disgust that is obvious.  One does not need
           to be a Empath to see that leaving one's kids a thousand
           miles away is cruel and wrong.  Those who did not hear this
           about Tiren have a new view of him.

             Uncle Arman does not seem too shocked though as this is
           old news.  But the cousin just turns her head down to her
           food and look sad.  Kell can see the dancer teacher shift
           in her chair as if nervous by this talk.

             "After another harrowing thousand mile trip (this time
           including a trip down much of the River Dirla), Tiren and his
           daughter Z'leyra arrived at his families home in Ticasi and
           got the welcome of a prodigal son. His father had done well
           and been elected to the Council of Scholars. Though he only
           served one two-year term, that qualified Z'leyra to subsidized
           instruction in the field of her choice. She chose to study
           Balance Magics as a complement to her Shaman skills."

             At this the deputy looks down to his ham and biscuits and
           eats a few slices.  Fremea can't read much of humans but
           points his expression out to Kell.  Kell nods and whispers,
           "looks like he knows a bit more than Z is saying on that subject."
           Z'leyra continues after drinking some of her tea.

             "A shy student, treated as an outsider because of her
           barbarian heritage and upbringing, she naturally gravitated
           towards other outsiders who also enjoyed the woodlands and
           became friends with some Sidh who introduced her to Sidh and
           Elder magic. During this time Z'leyra became friends with
           Varange, a Faerry Sidh Magician who spent time in Ticasi as a
           diplomat and scholar. Z'leyra had managed to do well enough
           in her healing studies, primarily because of her earlier shamanic
           training, that she was recognized as a Master Healer."

             Z'leyra's old classmates hear about her trouble as a student
           makes them shift as well.  Arloth looks down to her food and
           twirls her hair in her left hand.  Lucky stares out at the
           window.  Arawn can assume that they are a bit guilty either
           by their own ways or of others.

             The healer teachers listen to herself claim to be Master.
           While it might be true by paper most teachers do not deem
           a master a Master unless there is experience.  It is just
           a Ticasi thing as otherwise everyone would consider themselves
           masters.  Z'leyra continues after the waitress brings in more
           rolls.

             "From her father as part of her training she learned how to
           be a Master Armorer and Kameri Weaponsmith. The training she
           received from the Sidh also instructed her in the skill of
           Jeweler in which she became quite competent if not quite a
           Master."

             Councilor Lental hears this and smiles and Z'leyra is not sure
           if that is sarcastic or appreciation.  When Z'leyra was in the
           Jewel school Lental was a teacher and treated her with a bit
           of disdain due to her clothing.  She dressed like a forest wood
           cutter rather than a fine grateful gem cutter.  With all the money
           her grandfather had it was surprising to Lental.

             "Tiren, having reestablished himself in Ticasi society,
           attempted to attain the rank of Counsel. His blades were
           wondrously strong but he was up against a clan of metal workers
           that had controlled the post, with one two-year exception, for
           generations. In one test the judging was obviously biased, two
           years later in the next test in which he had arranged for
           powerful neutral observers to watch, his examples were stolen
           and replaced with shoddy substitutes. While making items for
           the third test the forge in his house mysteriously caught fire
           and burned the house to the ground, killing Tiren and destroying
           all his notes."

             At this Councilor Lental the deputy become clearly concerned.
           From his seat Arawn's throat becomes dry as he had warned Z'leyra
           to be careful.  Accusing others might not be the best way to go.

             The Magic Deputy puts his fork down.  "Excuse me.  These
           implications are serious.  If you have come back to serve as
           a means of a vendetta.  This could be problematic.  I hope you can
           at least prove some of these....theories."  He waves a hand for
           Z'leyra to continue.

             "This left Z'leyra homeless. After seven years in Ticasi she
           was ready for a change. Her father was dead and her grandfather
           had died years earlier. All the rest of her father's relatives
           snubbed her, thinking and talking of her as 'that barbarian
           brat' and treating her as a servant or slave. Her closest
           friends were in the forest, not the city."

             This clearly calls some reactions from her cousin, uncle and
           old classmates.  In the end though her uncle nods as if he is
           well aware.  Maybe this is how she felt when she left but maybe
           not so much now?  Z'leyra continues after the outer room becomes
           a bit quiet as the lunch crowd begins to ebb.

             "After conferring with some of these friends she realized that
           only by leaving and coming back obviously rich and powerful
           would she change how they thought of and treated her.

             This fit in with her other long term plans: becoming powerful
           enough to find and expose her father's killers then ultimately
           going back to Kameran with enough knowledge and power so as to
           be respected rather than ostracized for leaving the Kameran.
           She knows that the longer she takes the more impressive she
           must be as she will be compared with her sister who will have
           been advancing in skill as a shaman for years."

             Councilor Lental speaks up this time putting hand on the
           table besides her plate.  "Killers?  I thought as was everyone
           here it was an accident.  I'm with the deputy this accusations
           will have to be upheld.  If certain parties hear about this
           their recourse is legal to cause damages.  I believe they call
           it slurring of character or something."

             Z'leyra listens but continues,  "Z'leyra was ready for
           adventure when it offered. Part of her training and later work
           as a healer had her acquiring enough fame as a healer that one
           night she was woken up to care for a man dying from an exotic
           poison. While unable to save the man, she was alone with him
           when he decided that his mission required him to pass a package
           to her with instruction to get it to his comrade in Aratad. The
           next morning Z'leyra closed up her affairs in Ticasi,
           gathered the equipment she could and took off for Aratad.

           [Time: 12:55 pm]

             Kiet finally left the old man and traced that flash to a shop area
           down a side street.  He considers giving up as it must just be
           a plan to leave the old man.  He passes three stores and decides
           to turn around.  But as he passes the window of a general store
           he sees a flash of orange and red.  He slows down and peers in
           the front store windows.  Then he sees it a vase that is bright
           orange and red.

             Kiet shrugs and finds it unusual but decides to move on to find
           the auction house.  As he passes the store though he recalls that
           vase he saw recently.  He stops and tries to recall.  Yes.  A very
           distinctive vase.  Then he recalls it was in Poorda's house.  Why
           would it be here?

             Kiet turns around and tries to covertly look in the side of the
           window without looking as if curious about store front items
           on sale including a fancy dress.  It might just fit him but
           at least he could get a nice time dancing.  He glances up and
           sees two men talking.  One looks like one of those warehouse
           wharfs on the docks that could glare at a wall and crumble it.
           He wears black heavy work pants and a brown coat for the cold.
           Above his hat is a farmer style hat.  The two men seem to be
           talking about the vase back and forth.

             Back at the lunch, Z'leyra continues.

             "Twenty days of hiking later Z'leyra arrived in Aratad after
           an uneventful journey. Here was the real start of her adventures.
           She delivered the package to the designated recipient, Cortez
           Aqula, a merchant.

             The next morning Cortez Aqula, impressed with Z'leyra and
           her honesty in delivering the package, hired her to make another
           delivery. In making the delivery she heard about Varange and
           managed to get to Clima to join in his rescue."

             Kell recalls the gold she bought to town and realizes Z'leyra
           has yet to turn it in.  Fremea hears a noise in the roof and
           sees a grate that is a air vent shake slightly from vibration of
           air.  The furance must be working strong today.  Z'leyra continues
           after a brief pause.

             "Good friends, at the lunch today amongst others we should
           have from the Magic Department Deputy Councilman Burl Tiesmorten
           the Law Department Counselman Silaius Duke Jewel Crafting
           Teacher Yalenka Narda Medicine teacher Professor Garr."

             Actually she realizes that was her hopes but the Law one Mr Duke
           could not make it.

             "Dancing teacher Ira Armanth and hopefully a number of other
           worthy witnesses. This is what I propose to our guests today."

             "Honored guests. I asked you here to listen and hopefully to
           witness. Oh Julis 5, 1632TH my father, Tiren, was in his
           workshop working on a masterwork for demonstrating his craft
           and vying for a council seat when the workshop caught fire and
           burned down, Tiren dying in that fire. It was proclaimed an
           accident. Though I was studying other subjects I had spent many
           hundreds of hours acting as my father's apprentice. I knew the
           shop and my father's habits. I could not see the fire happening
           by accident, but I had no way to prove otherwise.

             These other subjects I studied were medicine and magic. Both
           of which I did very well in. I had been practicing levitation
           when I heard of the fire. Afterwards I had little to hold me
           here. I had passed my apprenticeships, yes I had studied hard
           and learned more than one, and helped out in the infirmary while
           wondering what to do next.  There I agreed to a dying man's
           request which set me off on a series of adventures which now
           have me living in Sivas.

             I kept up my magical studies. I had learned the basics of the
           difficult and even dangerous Akasha spell that allows one to see
           into the past. If I got skilled enough at that spell I could use
           it to see what had occurred when the workshop burnt down.
           Potentially useful, but that would provide no proof to others
           if I had a vision thru a spell. So I also considered how to
           make the vision of the past visible to others. My idea is to
           make a Ward that will cast a translucent illusion of any Akasha
           spell cast in its area of affect. Translucent so that one can
           see what was happening both inside and outside of any walls.
           With magically adept witnesses they can see that I am not
           casting an illusion myself when I use the Akasha spell to see
           into the past."

             The deputy sits back and rubs his chin in thought.  He is no
           master himself.  But he is unsure if this is possible or if it
           will be considered evidence.

             Outside the room Pyan watches as most of the lunch crowd has
           gone now and down to only a half dozen tables of folks.

             Across town Kiet watches coin exchange hands and the man
           who is only 5'11 around 190 pounds exits.  Kiet decides to
           follow the man.  He is no expert in trailing but his city
           skills might help out.

             Back at the reserved tavern room.  Z'leyra finishes her
           long speech.

             "I made a staff, and later a wand and other items to assist
           me in my spell castings. They can be examined to show that they
           do not have any improper enchantments, that they are not
           enchanted to cast an illusion.

             I hope that after we have eaten we can go to the site of the
           workshop. Make sure that I, or anyone else has not recently cast
           magic there, and witness me cast the Ward and Akasha and see a
           vision from the past showing what DID happen to set the workshop
           alight. Whether it was an accident or if some other thing or
           perhaps person was the cause.

             Any suggestions?"

             The audience all finally stop eating and become silent the
           last few minutes.  The deputy studies Z'leyra and finally
           speaks up.  "Based on what you warned yesterday I've taken
           the liberty to have the site scanned already.  We will see
           if anyone has been there in the last 5 days or so.  This whole
           illusion thing still can be tainted.  I must consult with
           others maybe including Councilor Aristorn for advice.  I
           say we should convene at your old home in two hours?  Around
           3 or a little after?"

           [Time: 1:09 pm]

             The deputy stands and opens his mouth but is interrupted
           by clapping.

             Everyone turns to see a man at the archway clapping.  Pyan
           standing behind him looking worried for letting the man enter
           but didn't realize he was actually listening.  He just suddenly
           came from anther area of the tavern to here.

             The man stops clapping, "a nice story there.  I'm sure all
           your friends here.." he says the word friends sarcastically.
           "...appreciated such a wild tale."  He enters into the room
           and glares briefly at Fremea and then the others.  "I hope
           girl you can back up your claim.  We treat everyone here
           equally who lie or cheat.  We could not survive as a school
           if we did not."

             The deputy moves toward the archway, "Councilor Smith this
           was uncalled for.  If you have something to say it."

             "Yes indeed.  My school has been respected for over 300
           years.  To blame us for a silly fire is just something a
           barbarian brute might do.  I would hope such a person of
           your reputed skills and ...bearing would not accuse but
           would prove a theory first. This is the first tenant of
           all schools here."

             Fremea notices a bag on the man's hip and then realizes.
           Vents carry noise and talk to different areas.  If this man
           was in some place like a basement or storage room he could
           have heard the entire thing.  Maybe in that bag is some
           device that helped him hear better.

             Councilor Lental finishes her male and stands.  "You
           are welcome to join us this afternoon to be a witness
           and to either agree or disagree in support for your
           clan."

             "Quiet so.  Till we meet later."  The deputy pushes
           past Pyan and leaves the tavern.

             As others begin to leave and murmur some say they will
           try to make it but are unsure at this point.  Some ask
           for directions.

             Z'leyra tries to answer them as they leave and ignore
           Mr Smith.  Then Z'leyra's uncle stands and glares at Mr
           Smith.  "It is no secret you and Tiren had issues.  If
           this proves to be an accident it may not show all we
           need. "

             "Tiren was a fool.  Going to dark lands to explore
           some myths when there was plenty to do here.  Bringing
           back....baggage and silly theories.  These daggers are
           not the best in the world.  They are strong yes but
           he died thinking they were the end all of metal."

             Kell stands and moves to Councilor Smith as he sees
           Z'leyra becoming a bit upset.  "You need to leave now."

             The man who stands 5'9 120 pounds is in his 50s.  His
           graying temples are striking with his gray eyes.  He is
           wearing a black and white vest and tan pants.  "This
           is a free place son."  He moves his gaze from Z'leyra
           to Kell.  "But you are right..the air..in this place
           is a bit too pungent for me."  He moves toward the
           archway to leave.

             Z'leyra's uncle moves toward the man but Arawn grabs
           his arm and shakes his head.  It would not be good
           to take on a Councilor in power.

             Out of sight, Councilor Smith leaves the tavern.
           Z'leyra boiling grabs a empty mug and slams it into the
           wall.  Then turns to face the window.

             Now with just the party and her relatives there the
           room becomes quiet.  Then Z'leyra's cousin speaks up.

             "Z'leyra...I may...have treated you wrongly in the past.
           I see now that...you have changed..more than I expected.
           That man is the gunk horses leave on the street.  Don't
           let him ruin this moment."

             Z'leyra turns now a bit softened.  She nods to her
           cousin who moves over to give her a cousin.  "I need
           to get some of my kids soon.  If I can I'll be at
           Tiren's place."  She then moves out of the room.

             Z'leyra's uncle is only one left, "I think we should go
           visit his grave. You have not been there in over 2 years.
           I think the walk will do some good."

           [Time: 1:16 pm]

             Z'leyra pays the bill of 4 gold and leaves the tavern
           with her uncle and the others.

             Across town Kiet follows the man to a hall and watches
           him follow.  He begins to wonder why he is doing this.
           Surely there are many orange and red vases and just as
           many men with hats in town.  But the acrobat cringes as
           he hears a voice sounding like Arawn in his mind.  Go
           by your instincts.  Kiet will never admit that his influence
           can hit him but shrugs.  He enters the hall a couple minutes
           later.

             Once inside he see it as a gambling hall.  There are maybe
           2 dozen men at tables of cards.  Kiet goes to the bar and
           orders a beer.  He watches the man sit at table of 3 others.
           HE is deals a set of cards.  From upstairs the noise of girls
           moaning is apparent that the upstairs must be a brothel.

           Actions?  Comments?

           Next Update....Monday???

           GM: Whew!  Finally I'm done!  This took what? Two weeks?
               Issues with distractions, bad timing, other problems
               in real life.  I kind of talked a bit on these huh?
               I hope it was worth the read.  I wanted to flesh out
               as much descriptions as I can to make it more visual
               for you guys.  But I think this is the biggest set
               of updates I've done in 16 ears.  I've done 2 parts
               before but never 3.  I took the liberty at times like
               with the lecture.  Since only Kiet was the only one
               to actually say he would do particular things I figured
               others would attend.  I did have some fun with Kiet as well.
               I've tried to give everyone something to do not just
               Z'leyra.  But I can only do so much.  So in theory
               next week I want to do the Akasha stuff.  If there is
               anything to do before then please let me know.  I will
               probably start the next update Saturday.  So yes there
               will be no Friday since this is out later than I wanted.
               So will start Saturday so if have questions can do so
               by then or posts by Monday afternoon.

               I hoped I put everything where it should be time wise
               and to match up dialogue.  Z's speech was actually given
               the night before but we chatted and she said it followed
               both times for lunch as well.  The third person stuff
               was weird but that's fine.  It is a way to detatch
               yourself from something to give less bias.  I did change
               a few words like tomorrow to today and same for Arawn's
               few lines I that regard but I hope its good.  If not
               sorry to bore you guys.

               For the next update it will be the next 3 hours or so.
               That gives folks about 90 min to  get to Tiren's place.
               So this will be timeframe for next update.

           GM: Arawn - I'm sure you'll be taking a notebook of notes.
                 I took as much notes as I can.  I will be including
                 major names in the People file so no need to recall
                 critical names.  But I'm sure you'll have better notes
                 than I will :)  To ask that question in a year like
                 what was Mr Smith wearing. :)

               Fremea - You mentioned in chat you did want to buy the wand.
                 Do you recall which?  It it helps it was update 39b file
                 #283 if need to review.  Also what herbs did you want?

               Kiet - BTW the old man invited you to nude singing the
                  following night did you want to attend?  Hope you
                  enjoyed the fun.  I hope didn't get took much liberty
                  on your reactions.  I'm still trying to figure you out
                  action wise.

               Pyan - You are free to reply to the Historian if you want.
                  in whatever way you want.  You speak Marentia well enough
                  now to reply.

           GM: Man I'm tired.  BUT GREAT NEWS!!!!!

               Kell be returning.  I got a email from Mark tonight!!!!!
               I pity the city with Kell and Kiet on the loose!