[pnpgm] Game Update #39 - File #149 - Meeting with Niv

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Jul 23 06:57:11 CEST 2013

          .
   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   R1.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.J H Hooten........YN..Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human....Ma
   W4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R1 John.Stowman......YN..Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell, Wolf - Will

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #39 in sequence (file #149)

         From Kiet: [Re: Horses]
           Kiet is happy enough with the exchange. After the
           pleasantries are completed, and the group is outside, he
           asks about the horses.

           "We'll, if we don't yet need horses, I at least want...

          [Sepes 28th, 1634TH]
          [Location: City of Salaqara, Donara]

          [Time: 10:13am - Horse Stables]

            The stable owner or clerk stares at the group for
          a long while then finally says, "well if there is
          nothing I can do for you now then come back later
          when I can help."  With that the man turns and heads
          back into the stables since no plans or requests are
          made.

            Kiet shrugs and speaks up after the man leaves,  "We'll, if
          we don't yet need horses, I at least want to hire a bearer or
          two.  This stuff not only gets heavy, but it's bulky too.
          Raban might be able to handle carrying a saddle around but not
          little ol' me.  But let's decide and move on."

            Raban turns to the acrobat, "well a new person in our group
          could be problematic if we need to be...open in our mission."
          He looks to Fremea and gestures with his hand as if to show
          a bird flying though it could even be himself.

            Since there does not seem to be plans to buy horses the
          group begins to move on.  Soon Kiet with the help for
          those who read Salaqara find a shop that hires bearers.
          He learns that he can hire a person for 5 Brass Bits
          per day.  If you keep them more than 8 hours you are
          required to feed them.

          [Time: 10:45am - 12:30pm]

            For the next couple of hours the party explores the city
          that they have landed in. A large city of at least 25,000
          people.  The further south the more foreigners are  obvious
          from visitors like merchants and sailors.

            One thing that the party notices is most of the people
          are unusually well armed.  In Sivas only a few people
          at best had weapons visible.  Here at least 40% of the men
          seem to carry some weapons from daggers, swords or even
          a spear.  Even some women though more rare also carry a
          dagger or two.  It soon seems obvious the people are on
          edge and expect a fight.  Even though this is a Duchy
          and party of the nation of Donaran it is clear they wish
          to be free and will fight for it.

            The few Donarans military that are seen carry maces and
          some do Bows which makes them stand out more.  As the
          squads of Donaran's walk about on patrol the party sees
          they are given dirty glares and obscene gestures.  To Z'leyra
          it reminds her of the time in Ticasi when the Donaran
          patrols got dirty looks.

            Kell enjoys exploring the markets and comparing prices and
          and items.  He is interested in the craftsmanship of the
          luxury items like furniture and statues.  He is less impressed
          by the wines but hears Xian has better wine markets than
          here.

            Finally the time for exploration ends and the party goes to
          find the tavern Niv mentioned.

          [Time: 12:30am]

            After some bit of winding directions the party arrives at
          the tavern.  A large one story but wide place.  Entering
          the place the party can see the large bar at the back of the
          place that can seat about 30 on the row of stools.  Behind
          the bar is access to a kitchen and some back areas.  The eating
          area is at the front of the place along the large windows.  To
          the left and right are more tables with less windows on the sides
          due to other buildings - a poetry store and bakery.  The
          entire place is about 100 feet by 100.  It can fit maybe 100
          with some effort maybe 150 but the best conditions look to be
          about 80 people.  Unlike most taverns though this one is
          missing a fireplace so guess it is cold in winter.  In
          the center of the room is a small area for a band or possible
          performance area.

            Right now there are about 50 people at various tables.  One
          large family of 8 is eating with 3 kids making noises.  To
          the right side there are a bunch of workers from warehouse
          bearers to dirty ranchers.  In the center there seems to be
          mostly merchants and a bit higher clientele.  Kell notices
          three tables are full of gamblers playing card games while
          drinking mugs.

            The party finds a large table to the left of the stage
          in the left center area closer to the bar.  Kell tries to
          listen to some gamblers fighting over cards.  Kiet perks
          up when he hears a language he mostly knows dirty words
          from - Fomorian.  Two of the gamblers are arguing over
          a set of cards called the Jester's Shuffle.

            Soon the party orders some lunch and drinks and waits for
          Niv to show up.  In fact it takes almost a hour which shows
          that he is a bit later than expected.  Just when the party
          figures he ditched them he walks in the tavern.

          [Time: 1:22am]

            The first thing the party notices is that Niv is limping just
          a bit and he is showing a nice bruise on his left eye.  He
          sits down and orders some ale.  By now the tavern is down to
          about 30 customers and much more quiet.

            Raban taps his own eye and raises an eyebrow.  Niv sighs
          and says, "a bit of heated negotiations nothing to be worried
          about."

            Niv quickly gets to the info he found out.  "As I suspected
          Ozon is in Samma somewhere which is his base of operations.
          I did learn that he is not a friend to the Guild.  In fact
          he acquired something from the Guild's Head Master.  A bit
          of a death wish I say to steal from the head guy.  Sadly
          I do not know where exactly he is.  But there are a few places
          he frequents.  They say word can also be shared there to find
          him if a job is needed.  Though he is not a cheap man to hire.
          There are some rumors he is branching into other activities."
          He looks to Fremea briefly and drinks a large swig of ale.
          "Rumor is that he entering some slave trade and trafficking."
          He then lists a few of the places the thief is known to be
          located or hired from.

            "The admiral Martin Gorlic is in his early 50s.  Aside from
          the expertise in seamanship and navigation he is a skilled
          swordsman as well as archer.  He also has helped in building
          ships by his own designs.  He is a well known gambler but
          tends to only gamble in private circles.  They say he is
          a scholar of Salaqi history and religion thus a true
          patriot.  Oddly has some good knowledge of mathematics which
          I suspect helps him in battle.  He became a admiral after
          his father died 18 years ago.  The Gorlic family is descended
          from the admiral that brought the Salaqi fleet to Nerid after
          the Rape of Salaq.  As a result of that they have always
          been highly dedicated to independence for Salaq.  It is
          a quiet known fact that they support the Codari though will
          not openly do so for fear of the Donarans.  Some who have
          been in sight of him know him as a hard emotionless man.
          They expect him to soon give the fleet to his son and start
          to build up the Salaq strength elsewhere."

            Niv eats some hot bread and then continues.  "His son is
          Jasnor Gorlic and in his mid 30s.  Though he is a captain
          with his own ship he is not as skilled as his father.  He
          is charmer though and can be quite the lady's man.  He is
          known to do painting as well though he is not the artist
          that you asked about.  It seems the Gorlic family had many
          painters in their past.  Like his father he is a skilled
          fighter and a scholar of history of Salaq.  He served in
          the fleet since he was 5.  For the last 8 years he has been
          a captain of his own ship and a task force Commodore.  He
          enjoys the sea, hot women, gambling, goideli wine and
          killing Donarans more.  Though he has his vices he does
          not usually let them interfere with his duty.  I learned
          that he should be in town and gambling at a place called
          the The Roost in the south near the docks.  He tends to
          gamble in more open places than his father."

            "I also looked into that Simone Bitte fellow.  He is
          a known Donaran pirate.  Though he is a pirate he dabbles
          as a jeweler, herbalist and armorer."  He leans in to
          the group and lowers his voice.  "Some believe he also
          is a scholar of dark magic and demons as a scholar.  He
          likes to study the history of magic as well."  He raises
          his voice so all at the table can hear him.  "I learned
          little on his background.  I could have some contacts
          elsewhere learn more if you head west if that is your
          goal."

            "As to the painting little was learned from my contacts.
          I did learn the gallery owner is a decent fellow but
          protective of his items.  May take a bit of charming
          persuasion to get the info from him.  I suggest going
          to talk to him directly."

            "Now I hope this helps?  I should be going back to
          the farm.  I hope you relay I helped you to the old
          man and this should cover my debt slightly?"

          Actions? Comments?

          Next Update....Friday...

          GM: A smallish update again.  Its very difficult with the
              lack of direction/posting to lead folks and figure
              out options  I try but only so much I can fill in
              the blanks.  So now what?

          GM: Kiet - Want to hire one of the bearers?