[pnpgm] Game Update /#237 - File #1456 - Brain Combat Turn 2: Phase 2+3

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Jul 17 08:25:52 CEST 2012

   HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
   ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
   R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
   W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
   W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
   R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
   R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
   R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
   W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
   W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
   R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
   R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
      NPC...................Captain.Lin.......Warrior.Normal/Human..Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #237 in sequence (file #1456)

         From Kell: [Re: Actions]
           [Hey Scott,

           Kell throwing the spear was perfect.  Nice writing, it's a
           great update. Aside - I'm reading David Edding's books now
           and just found out/realized that he used Kell as a location.
           I didn't name Ha'Kell after this book, it was a happy
           coincidence.   ]

           Hearing the same thing twice now, to flee the room or die,
           Kell decides to trust that voice.  "Move out!" he'll shout
           to any that can hear as he starts to flee the room.  He'll
           grab Chion and Bendar and help the others get out of there.

           Reaching out his senses for his third and last elemental,
           once contacted the instructions are to help the party flee
           this room, not to attack the brain, but shield the group.
           He's looking for the invisible shaper too, and if he finds
           her, well, toss that spear into her so hopefully it'll
           stick out and give everyone a location to attack.

           [Kell starts fleeing, getting Kiet, Chion, Raban, Ben'Dar,
           anyone he can.  If possible, he'll run up and cut Ben'dar
           ree then escape. Using the tulwar or bastard sword for
           cutting, whichever is sharper. ]
         GM: Ack. Thanks brownie points awarded.  I had fun doing
             that one.  Just wait for this one I am planning to have
             some fun again.  As to Kell seems to ring a bell in that
             was a character name in a Dark Sun book I think? I got
             one from a convention in the '90s as a gift so been
             awhile but seems to something to recall.

         From Will: [Re: Actions]
           I have to agree with Mark great job it was a very fun
           update. Unlike Kell however Will is being stubborn and does
           not want to give up so easily.  Or maybe he just has a death
           wish.  Will wants to at least find out if he can scout while
           being Invis. Insb. Lev. Yea his SOP.  That way maybe he can
           at least find the answer as to "why" or maybe just die trying.
           He will use whatever cover is available (ie probably the floor)
           and I am assuming here that he is within range of the brain
           so that he can see if he can breach the shield.
           ----
           Will is a sucker so he'll ask "why not the brain"
           ----
           As he finishes off the vong and prepares a spell.

           If he is close enough to the brain to reach it with a
           levitate spell he will use that  + a Insb. otherwise he
           will use flight to get closer.  Assuming or course the voice
           doesn't give a compelling reason not to try and find a way
           to attack the brain.
         GM: Ack.  Thanks for feedback.  But I'm missing something.  I
             don't recall you going invisible and levitate and all
             that? Did I miss a email?  I did ask in chat/facebook chat
             but you left so did I lose that message?  Ahh it was in
             the third post.  Ok.  Will do those spells for this
             update Insub and Levitate.   On the 2nd post the comment
             on fleeing I didn't get that till I finished the update
             a bit too late to add then.  Sorry.

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           With unshakable courage Z'leyra goes all offense on her
           attacks against the brain, trying to kill it before it can
           damage the party  further. She is hoping that the combination
           of her skill with the greatsword, the enchantments upon the
           blade, the clairvoyance granted by the enchanted sheath, and
           the luck her ring gives her will allow her to do deadly damage
           to the brain, perhaps enough to kill it before it does further
           attacks on the party.

           She trusts to her armor to keep the other attacks on her from
           damaging her. The warning voices she ignores as they must
           either be distractions meant to slow or stop the party from
           killing the brain and close off the Vong portal or they are
           of helpers that cannot but be helped by others attacking the
           brain and Vong even if those helping end up dead for being in
           the way of some great attack on the Vong and brain, a risk
           she will take. [She also overconfidently assumes that she
           might survive some catastrophic magical attack due to her
           rather high MDV.]
         GM: Ack.

         From Unali: [Re: Actions]
           Scott,
           I guess that Unali has no clear view on the last Shaper and
           would need to take time to scout her out? Or is there a
           possibility to attack her in the next phase? She seems
           trapped between the barrels and the gate, so would have to
           move towards the Brain.

           Unali is still wary of the Brain, so doesn't want to go
           there.

           Uncertain what will happen in the fight between the Brain and
           the last elemental, Unali decides to heed the warning to
           leave. She turns and sprints towards where Chion is. Stay
           clear of the Brain tentacles. Dodge any incoming attack from
           the Shaper. Stay low and quick. She yells "OUT" on the way.

           Try to pick Chion up as he seems unconscious and drag him to
           the exit.

           While she is running, the water probably spreads out, revealing
           behind her back where the Shaper is. She thinks about asking
           Caladan to throw a fireball in from the entrance once everyone
           is out. And stand clear of the bounced back effect from the
           Brain shield.

           As she passes the other side of the Brain she will notice
           Bendar trapped and Shout to Farseeker/Arawn direction "Free
           him Get OUT."

           Once outside she will first notice the flying Vong. Reaction
           might depend on the distance they still are. Those flying
           saucers are their weak spot. Kill or immobilize the saucer
           and they drop. Where is a lasso when you need one?
         GM: Ack.

         Post from Arawn: [Re: Actions]
           Read your comment about hoping I'd post in response to the
           voice. I considered it but thought it would be fluff as I
           realized that Arawn would still attempt communication with
           Brain, allowing the others to focus on the Shaper.

           Post:

           Arawn gives a quick nod in response to Unali's call,
           motioning for anyone nearby to come to him if they wish to
           flee the chamber. As he speaks the magical words he reaches
           out with one hand to Ben'dar, hoping to free the barbarian
           from the Brain's crushing embrace before it's too late.

           OOC:
           I was going to have Arawn risk empathic communication with
           the Brain but after reading Unali's post he'll change his
           action and follow her order. If Farseeker manages to free
           Ben'dar and it looks like they can reach the exit before
           the elemental disappears he'll help drag Bend'ar (or anyone
           else that needs help) out of the chamber.

           If he thinks it's not likely that he and the others can flee
           the room in time (Ben'dar isn't freed yet or the elemental
           looks like it's fleeing/down for example) then he'll attempt
           to Teleport himself, Farseeker and Ben'dar out of the chamber
           to the others. If you deem that Teleport won't work to free
           Ben'dar then he'll try Translocation if you feel that's
           applicable.

           They'd be cast via wand at EL 2 (EL3 for Translocation if
           another PC is still trapped in the chamber and within
           range)
         GM: Ack.  Well its a matter of late posts.  Of all the people
             you tend to throw the big curves in or long posts. So when
             I get the posts I tend to have to restart or re-edit or such.
             Like tonight I was half way done with update then got this
             post (7pm).  This is why for you of all people I love the
             early posts (like you did last time).  A day ahead gives
             me a great deal to form evil things...err I mean to work
             on the update rather than hurry up on the last few hours.
             John/Raban was the same with his complex posts but he
             actually posted early so wasn't bad since could deal with it.
             This is just a aid to me so do as you need since I know
             you may be busy but its just a convenience thing for me.
             Don't take offense this is just how things help me and
             I'm much too lazy to work hard! :)  For Monday's update
             which we've learn actually tends to come out Tuesday
             early AM I work on the update anywhere from 3pm-3am.
             Depending on like today when I'm off early and TV and
             such I have to do.  I go to bed at 3 so try to get it out
             by 2:30 or so.  Usually I would prefer posts be in by
             9pm Monday night so I can edit but long posts or big
             changes/surprises tend to need rewrites.  A combat like
             this takes 3-4 hours per phase.  With only 1 bad guy
             left though maybe 2-3 hours total for update.  Usually
             30 to spell check and 30-45 to update mana report and
             character sheets.  Sometimes if things are slow and
             Alex is around to motivate me in chat I'll work on it
             Saturday night a bit. For Friday's update which does
             come out Friday early AM around 12-1am Thursday evening.
             I work on update as soon as I get home so around 7-1am.
             But with something like Burn Notice (which I enjoy)
             I tend to watch that and slack.  So posts by 7pm Thursday
             are best for me.  Anything after 10 might get delayed
             for next update or cause rewrites.  If get motivated
             I'll try to work on it Wednesday a bit if I have enough
             posts.  This is all EST time zone for USA btw.  So now
             you guys know my schedule.  If I get bogged down with
             late posts with the limits above I will be forced to
             delay the update completely.  Hope this helps.  For
             combat updates like this expect 9-10 hours of work.
             (3-4 updates for each phase for a full battle like
             with 10+ folks), 30 for spell checking, 30-45 to
             update character sheets/mana report.  For normal
             updates (any non combat ones) that can be from 1-3
             hours total but with surprises or late posts that
             can go double that.

          [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
          [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
          [          Mountains west of Pamau]

          [Time: 2:58:42pm - Turn 2: Phase 2]

            Will decides that fleeing is a bad choice at this point.
          They came here for the heart of the Vong threat.  The portal
          AND the brain are clearly the heart.  Possibly kill the
          brain, no pun intended, the body - the portal - will fail.
          In that way the looming threat of the invasion - body to
          continue the context - will stop.  Besides it took him a ton
          of exercise just to get here!  He must've lost at least 3
          pounds running in this armor.  To just turn around and flee
          again without even a swipe at the brain?  Will decides
          though being not seen is better than being a target for the
          Brain's "magic" or whatever it is doing.  So he allocates
          mana for a spell.

            Fremea flying toward the west toward the group of foot
          flyers allocates the final magical energy for her spell.
          She pauses and hovers in the air ready to cast her magic.

            Suddenly the world vibrates with intense forces.  In
          every direction the earth trembles.  Some thought it
          might just be the elemental under the Brain moving through
          the earth but it is from above and to the side and in
          every direction.  For those standings all feel the ground
          under their feet shift and rock.  Those who are lucky to
          be lying down like Chion receive a intense shake massage.

            All around rock walls and ceiling tremble creating a dust
          cloud of falling debris in every direction  Sand, rocks and
          some minor fist sized boulders fall from the walls and
          ceiling.

            Outside hovering some 300 feet above the ground Fremea
          notices the world shake like some god decides to rebuild
          the entire mountain.  She glances left and right and wonders
          if Kototh could be entering his portal?  But no the ground
          and walls in every direction is shaking.  Then Fremea glances
          down to the center hole the part climbed up from and notices
          a billowing flume of steam escape.  Fremea looks back and
          wonders what is going on inside the Brain Cave.

            Back in the cave Will realizes he is on a giant's tumble
          ride and then realizes there is a earthquake going on.  But
          unlike the others the weight of his armor actually helps him.
          It centers him to his center of gravity.  He does wave back
          and forth but doesn't fall down.  He is thankful for that
          as falling down would be like a turtle on his back.  Will
          waves a hand and quickly casts a spell using the magical
          words he learned years earlier.  He waves a hand in front
          of his face and realizes he still has solid form.  He
          grumbles at the failure of his invisibility spell.  Maybe
          all the shaking made him fumble a word?

            Fremea realizes that being above a dormant volcano that
          seems to be waking up might not be so wise.  But if the place
          goes up she should be able to fly away - maybe.  She casts
          her archery spell.  She glances at her bow and sees the aura
          of her spell upon it.  Fremea then has an idea one that
          originated from a desert animal being chased by another
          animal.  Then she smiles a bit with mischief.

            Squirt looks at the girl who is now holding her arms out.
          The animal then scampers up to her arm just as the earth
          starts to shake.  The animal then squeals in confusion and
          both cling to the railing in a bit of fright.

            Raban seems to ignore the shaking and looks down at Chion's
          limp form.  He walks the two feet to him and kneels down to
          check him.  Kell wonders how the giant can seem to ignore the
          shaking but then realizes the flying giant - that is a very
          scary thought to Kell - might be so nimble with his dance
          and innate talent to ignore the movement.  Raban checks
          the sailor's pulse and finds it weak but steady.  The damage
          is severe but there doesn't seem to be gaping holes with
          organs falling out.  His neck wound is the worst with burnt
          flesh from the first strike of bugs.  He decides that maybe
          the voice is wise.  He stands up and stoops to pick up the
          6.5 foot 240 pound man in his arms like he was lifting a infant.
          He turns and runs toward the cave entrance.  He passes right
          by Kiet and winks to the acrobat.

            Unali seems to tingle in her mind and is not sure if it
          is the clairvoyant dagger or the battle mind.  Something or
          someone is trying to get to her.  But she studies the ground
          in front of her.  One moment the Shaper is there and then
          gone the next.  This proves to her that they have the
          ability to do that and the Voice makes a bit more sense to
          her now.  Unali tries to figure out the next move for the
          coward Shaper.  She could go south toward the portal and
          to the south wall to the south of the Brain.  But maybe
          she realizes there is a reach to the tentacles and a
          area around the portal?  So maybe that makes her chances
          dangerous or maybe its just the sunken elemental that seems
          to have gone below the Brain.  Either way she is likely not
          to go that way.  Behind her is the east wall so that leaves
          only straight through the spilt water and Unali or north.
          If she is a coward she would not go her way.  So Unali
          quickly decides or maybe it was the tingling in her mind
          from some bored god that the tactics is sound to go north.
          In a heartbeat she jumps up onto the turned down barrel
          and uses it as a stepping stone to the nearby one to
          the right that wasn't spilt.  IN one fluid motion she
          jumps from upturned barrel to standing barrel and leaps
          to the ground east of the barrels.  As she runs she
          yells, "OUT" to all she hopes will obey her.  With
          daggers in both hands she races to the east wall and
          hugs it turning north.  Waving dagger in her left
          around in random directions and stabbing forward with
          her right hand she hopes to strike the Shaper.

            Farseeker realizes that the Brain Shield may just be
          too powerful.  He hears the leader order a retreat. Even
          a Marentian Military Captain like himself knows that
          retreat is honorable.  Swinging his great sword he
          hacks the tentacles that are grasping Ben'dar.  It seems
          the tentacles extend behind the shield.  Farseeker then
          urges and pulls Ben'dar away.  But he knows the barbarian
          will not flee so quickly.

            Inside Chion's mind he dreams of past things.  His training
          with Cetric the Shaman learning how to resurrect people. He
          then recalls that as Balrog calls it he still has a ace up
          his tunic sleeve.  The time with the Dark Landers and the
          glory of past adventures.   He is unsure why these things
          are flashing to his mind. He is unsure if he is dead or
          sleeping or in some other world.

            Ben'dar grumbles and yanks the severed tentacles away
          from his arm and neck throwing them to the ground.  Why
          is this fool dragging him.  A few sticky tentacles is
          nothing to worry about.  With his free hand he tries to
          slap way Farseeker's hand but the gloved man's grip is
          too tight.  Ben'dar curses the tightness of his back armor
          it makes him easy to drag. He curses outloud at the stupid
          retreat.

            Arawn tries to break his quick connection to the brain.
          In his tunnel vision created by the semi trance he needs
          to save Ben'dar.  But he breaks the connection, realizing that
          Ben'dar is moving past him dragged by Farseeker.

            Arawn acknowledges the order to leave the cave by Unali
          with a quick nod.  He glances over and sees to the right
          Z'leyra is now helping the prisoners.  Actually it sees
          the two are attacking her?  But he realizes that she can
          handle it with ease.  Glancing left he notices Raban fleeing
          with Chion out of the corner of his eye.  He notices Unali
          leap like a mad woman to the wall and is unsure what she
          is doing.  This leaves Will nearby about 15 feet away.  The
          man would need probably 15 seconds just to run to the
          entrance while the others could leave in less than 10.  So
          Arawn turns toward the woodsman to go help him.  Kell stabs
          toward the black void not sure where he is attacking.  But
          the spear fails to make contact with anything.

            Kell glances to the right to see Farseeker help Ben'dar.
          It seems Arawn is going to help Will.  Maybe the party
          will flee now.  Raban is helping Chion and Z'leyra seems
          to be having some fun with the prisoners.  Kell then
          gives a strong suggestion to the elemental to help the
          others flee and protect them from the brain.  It seems
          the elemental decided to bury under the Brain to try
          to attack from there.  But it may have a shield there
          as well.  Kell then glances to the portal and a broad
          smile crosses his face.  He sees a strange world with
          browns and greens .  The green of plants and trees seem
          to be dotted with yellows and reds as if the grass is
          more than one color or trees are unsure of what color
          they should be. The sky is a pink and white tint.  There
          is no hint of blue in the sky.  But in the sky there are
          objects that dot the sky in a row.  It is impossible ot
          tell scale, distance or shape due to thew viewing angle
          of the portal.  They almost look like a series of small
          moons?  But the thing that makes Kell happy is the scene
          unfolding.  Big Boy is standing in the field beyond the
          portal.  Suddenly a bunch of warriors are attacking it.
          They seem to fight it with great but futile effort.  Big
          Boy stomps, crushes, bashes and kicks warriors left and
          right.  Soon the warriors retreat.  Big Boy seems to
          ramble left out of view.  A moment later a group of
          Shapers, maybe 5, are leading a group running left to
          right out of the viewing angle.  The Shapers are leading
          a group of some 20 or so warriors.  The Warriors are
          yelling and barking orders.  Some are firing pistol
          weapons or thrusting amphistaves to the air.  Flying
          bugs zoom to the left out of view.  Soon the crowd leaves
          and a smaller set of maybe a dozen unarmed Vong, maybe slaves
          or outcasts, are running left to right.  The unarmed Vong
          seem to be limping or running in fear.  But they are also
          afraid to move right maybe to face the wrath of the warriors
          or shapers who demand them to fight.  But Kell can't hear
          anything as the sound is gone from the view.  A moment later
          the elemental stomps from left to right chasing the group
          of Vong.  His body is stained with blood on his arms, legs
          and fists.  Then Big Boy leaves out of view.  Kell sees this
          all in a span of a second.  But realizes that there must
          be a time dilation on the other side. Maybe here its a
          split second but there much longer.

            Kell then realizes Big Boy the 25 foot tall elemental is
          trapped on the other side.  Does that mean the gods will
          not draw him back or can they?  Does that mean he will
          live forever or will the gods get upset at him for not
          returning the elemental to his plane on the upper world?
          Kell will have to worry about that later.  Kell draws out
          of his reverie and looks around.  He notices Unali acting
          like insane woman attacking the wall as if the shaking
          will stop at her dagger strikes.  Then he recalls the Shaper
          was just there.  Can she be chasing the invisible Shaper?

            Kell then recalls the High Elder and the Sidh talk about the
          lack of Vong mana.  Mana in terms of a aura ebbs in everything
          from a blade of grass to a rock to a giant.  It may not be
          a living aura like a person but even a rock has some faint
          aura to it from the point of existence.  Maybe that was how
          the gods made them.  Kell can recall that map that tracked
          the Vong due to the lack of Mana.  Then he realizes that
          the Shaper must give that aura  Kell recalls that the Sidh
          say the Vong lack of mana is a gray stain or black stain.
          So Kell stretches his senses outward.  The wall, the barrels
          and the wild woman has a form of aura.  Then he sees it.
          There is no stain but a total lack of anything.  A black
          hole like a well.  Maybe his senses are not tuned as good
          as the Sidh.  Kell grips his spear and runs toward the
          black hole.  He stabs toward it and reaches empty air since
          he is not sure where he is aiming at.  As he charges toward
          the void he yells out, "move out!"

            Captain Lin tries to concentrate as he moves away from
          the cave.  The images and thoughts in his brain flood so
          fast he can't understand it all.  He only knows if the
          party wins the battle they will lose the war.  Lin
          tries to overcome his massive headache and yells down
          to the girl to run up.  Then Lin looks up and heads
          to the next flight of stairs going upwards.

            The living earth was moments away from rising up under
          the brain when the orders to attack are changes.  The
          elementals swims through the sand and rising up to the
          left of the Brain.  He heads toward Caladan to help him
          toward the entrance.

            Z'leyra doesn't understand why the prisoners are now
          attacking her.  Try to rescue someone and they are not
          grateful!  She ignores them totally and runs toward the
          Brain even after hearing Unali's order to retreat.  She
          reaches the edge of the brain ready to strike.

            Caladan looks up to the looming elemental and wonders
          why it is suddenly attacking him!  Caladan heard Unali's
          order and ponders if he should flee or not.  He has
          a good line of sight for a fireball now.  But now Z'leyra
          is in the way.  Giving up he decides it is best to see
          why the need to flee and come back.  He turns and runs for
          the entrance.

            Kiet hears Unali's orders but wonders if the girl is
          crazy now.  He sees her attacking the wall and air. Then
          Kell running and stabbing empty air?  Could the Brain
          be causing some insanity power on them?  But he feels a
          need to help protect Kell so runs forward reaching the
          north west edge of the barrels.

            Will notices Arawn now feet away wondering what the
          Alfar needs from him?  Did he expect a drawing of the
          Brain with his pad?  Will turns back to the Brain and
          plans his next move.

            The Shaper feels someone behind her.  Then this hooman
          charges with the weak looking amphistaff and tries to
          stab her!  How can he see her?  The masker may be defective.
          The Shaper is aware that time is running out.  The others
          seem to be retreating.  But she gave the order to proceed
          with the safety plan.  It has started but now wonders if
          she can stop it before she is attacked now that they are
          retreating?  Shimara would kill her for starting the
          plan but the time may be critical.  Realizing that her
          escape plan is blocked she has to fight.  With her
          right hand she turns to fire the Razor Bug pistol toward
          the one with the infidel metal pointy sticks.  The bugs
          fly toward the wall slamming to the side and above causing
          fire but no damage or strikes on Unali in the wild shot.
          With her free hand she stabs upward at the trader's left
          shoulder doing 5 points of damage with her coufee.

            The Brain takes this interesting scene.  Just weeks ago
          he was grown here by the Shaper now using the masker. From
          a small wrist sized brain to his current size.  Transported
          to this strange world for yet another conquest for the gods.
          The Brain knew the gods didn't exist.  He can only see
          what he knows not what he feels.  But telling that to the
          shapers would mean his death.  He doesn't think the Shapers
          know that the genetic heritage of the Brains passes from
          one generation to the next.  For thousands of years he knows
          what Brains have been used for and why.  How they have
          been made to Vong-form a world to a new design.  How they
          control forces at great distance across the world.  How
          they can also use the resources to destroy that world.

            Back in the other world Brains are only telepathic in
          nature.  Yet here there is a strange presence that seems
          to make him stronger.  Giving him more powers to tear
          the fabric of space and time.  He can read many of the
          beings in this room their thoughts and their beliefs.  He
          can't understand why their motives bring them here.  Some
          he can't read like this strange one with the strange head
          gear and large sword hacking her.  What is she thinking?
          He is only a slave to this world.  Yet this strange presence
          or force gives him mighty powers.  The Brain considers the
          living earth to be a big threat.  He can sense it move
          underground and then rise nearby.  But it is not attacking
          him now?  His duty is to control and allow the transport
          of more Vong to this world.  Why attack these weak minded
          flesh bodies?  Yet he can feel the new threat to be the
          woman and the strange man nearby.  Moments later the Brain
          ordered the Villip to open the earth. Like fire explosions
          on other worlds the Vilip open holes deep underground.
          Leading to the lava chamber  If there are other flesh
          bodies under they will all die once the lava rises through
          the tubes from deep below.  By now the Pit and lake is
          probably full of escaping lava.  Soon the pressure will
          build up to make the dormant mount active again.  But
          it will still not harm the Brain in the short term.  The
          Vong may flee but the lava will not reach him for a long
          time.  In the short term the safety of the Brain is
          top and thus all those around should die or at least be
          ready to die.  Then of course if the threat is too much
          there is always the World Doval.

            The Brain considers his next move as he regenerates
          his mental processes to attack the next creature that
          dares strike him.  At least his mental shield will
          hold even against the large rock. The Brain penetrates
          the 2 prisoner's minds and orders them to attack the
          one with the large sword again.

            The 2 prisoners rush forward to attack Z'leyra with
          fists and claws.  One punches her right side middle
          ribs but her armor protects her. But the other reaches
          past her shoulder and punches her in the face where she
          is unprotected doing a point of damage.

                         ------------------

          [Time: 2:58:45pm - Turn 2: Phase 3]

            Fremea flies as fast as she can toward the flying creatures.
          She has a plan in mind but it will take a bit of time to
          work it out.  But first she has to get close enough to
          attack the Vong.  She finds they are now about 250 feet
          or so apart.  A bit closer and she can attack.

            Arawn builds up energy for a quick spell.

            Will also plans for a spell with his own energy.

            Arawn quickly casts a few magical words while grabbing
          onto Will's arm.  He turns to check the entrance to the
          cave and finds the expanse empty.  He then casts his
          translocation spell and sends himself and Will to the
          west onto the far western edge of the stairs.

            At the same time Will also casts his own spell just before
          he is translocated and becomes invisible.  But he opens his
          eyes to notice he is outside and looks at Arawn with a bit
          of disgust.  If only Arawn could see his face.

            Raban carries Chion toward the entrance ending up
          just behind Caladan.

            Unali is unsure why Kell is attacking her?  No wait.  The
          half elf is attacking the wall.  Maybe the brain is controlling
          him to attack her? She will have to knock Kell out if he
          attacks her.  But then she realizes based on the sudden
          appearance of the flying bugs he is attacking the Shaper.
          Unali smiles and rushes around the corner and draws back
          up her daggers toward the Shaper's back.  She stabs the
          normal dagger into the left kidney area doing a minor
          1 point blow.  Unali knows how tall the Shaper is and
          can estimate body location.  She swings upward and around
          slicing the Shaper's neck from below the right jaw to the
          rear of her neck slicing at least half of her neck in one
          massive slice with the magical dagger doing over 31 points
          of damage.  The Shaper slumps to the wall only because a
          rain of rocks is seen.  Unali knows it is not wise to
          search the Shaper with that snake hood.  Would not be
          good to be bite by one of the snakes.  She nods to Kell
          for his part in this.

            Farseeker sheathes sword and then pulls Ben'dar toward
          the entrance with both hands.  Telling him that, "we can
          kill it later!"

            Ben'dar realizes that Farseeker makes no sense but knows
          that if even Z'leyra can't affect the Brain how can his
          small spear do anything?  He relents and allows Farseeker
          to drag him to the entrance.

            Arawn looks around to see for the others.  He can see
          the girl carrying Squirt going up from here.  But Lin
          is not seen.  It seems he is the first to flee the cave.
          He looks down to notice his armor spell is gone.  He
          doesn't see Will anymore but knows he is there based on
          the bit of sour breath.  Why must humans eat and create
          such foul odors to his keen nose.  To the humans it is
          normal but to Alfar is it a foul smell.  Distracted
          Arawn glances back to the cave.  A odd sensation is
          felt in his brain.  A fading ringing.  He can't pinpoint
          it but it seems to be faint.  He concentrates ignoring
          the woodsman and tries to figure it out.  As his mind
          tracks the feeling down he finds it is a true feeling.
          Confusion.  Duty.  Anger.  Sorrow.  Anger. Anger.  Anger.
          A great deal of Anger.  Then Arawn realizes he isn't feeling
          the group in his Mind spell.  He is feeling the Brain!  A
          residue of the feelings he felt.  But how could that be?
          He stopped the connection.  From afar he tried the first
          contact but distance was too great.  Felt nothing but
          maybe the Brain's power was greater that it did touch
          him?  Then close up he tried again but changed his mind
          when the retreat was given.  Arawn tries to sort the
          feeling to make any sense.  From afar the Brain was a
          bit confused and curious.  That makes sense.  Then
          anger floods likely when the elementals attacked.
          Arawn gets the feeling that the feeling of duty was a
          strong obligation to the Vong as a group but maybe to
          the Shapers?  He wonders what would have happened if
          the connection wasn't broken.

            Kell stabs downward with his spear to ensure the Shaper
          is dead.  He notices Unali wave him away and decides not
          to search the body for now.  Kell turns and runs toward
          the entrance.  As he does he notices Kiet nearby and
          looks to the portal.  The scene is clear but then a large
          beast that almost looks like a elephant rides by in view.
          It is very hairy with 3 tusks in front and four trunks.
          A Vong is riding and moving toward the right maybe to
          attack or flee the elemental.  As the first beast rides
          past fast 2 more join quickly and follow.  The Vong must
          be sending reinforcements to attack Big Boy.

            The living earth turns to check out who may need help.
          It seems the only one left is the one with the large
          non-rock sword.  The elemental turns and silently moves
          toward Z'leyra to help her get out of the cave.

            Z'leyra ignores the 2 prisoners and swings her great
          sword again at the Brain avoiding tentacles that reach
          out to take her.  She avoids their attack by the spells
          to warn her.  The sword collides with the shield and
          bounces off not getting but a foot close to the surface
          of the Brain.

            Caladan leaves the cave going onto the stairs again.  As
          he steps onto the stairs he hopes Strie'bog and Zhou
          are safe as the earthquake below may be affecting them
          as they try to escape the Mount.

            Kiet sees as Kell runs past him and shakes his head.
          Back and forth he can't keep up.  But he passes Kell
          and joins him going back to the entrance.

            Will sees Caladan leaving and sighs in disgust at the
          retreat.  He was so close to using his plan to attack the
          brain.  Will then realizes that the earthquake hasn't stopped
          at all.  Usually a earthquake is not this long and looks
          back out to the main cavern of the mount.  Then he notices
          the flying objects coming this way maybe some 500 feet away
          or so.  He wonders where the small one is and why she didn't
          warn them of this new threat?

            The Brain realizes the prisoners are no longer useful.
          They can't seem to harm the one with the big metal stick.
          So the brain does a simple thought and forces the two
          human male's brain to swell and explode inside their
          brain case.  The humans collapse immediately dead as
          blood leaks from their mouth, nose and ears.

                                 -------------

          [Time: 2:58:48pm - Turn 2: Phase 4 - Current/Next phase]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next Update....Friday...

          GM: A good fun update again.  Bit behind the scenes on
              what is going on in a person's mind.  The fun with
              Big Boy.  I had typed up a bigger section on Kell's
              part for the first phase and deleted it by mistake.
              So had to retype it all.  Not as good as the first. :<
              Keep in mind you need to know what you know not what
              others know :) you know what I'm saying? Ua'know? :)
              Friday's update should go well as no big combat.  I'm
              off early Thursday so can work on it a bit early that
              day.  Once the party is together Lin can explain what
              he saw and learned.  Once the party flees the cave
              and those who still wish to fight the Brain aren't
              killed I'll move on.  I'll still probably 2 more phases
              and if need to expand for dialog time though with
              Fremea's situation may speed up time for that combat.
              We shall see depending on if Z'leyra doesn't die or
              such next update. :)   Minor map mistakes but looks
              like I'll fix it for this update.  Guess no one saw
              the mistakes. :)  Mana report not updated.  Will do
              in next couple days so check back.

          GM: Arawn -  Went with posted actions.  Since you were
                willing to teleport Ben'dar (saved) did Will since
                he was the next in line.  I did the empathic partial
                connection as well but the detail is limited as above.
                Was going to do a email on it but figure can just
                see it here unless you rather have that in private
                in the future.

              Fremea - Plan set in motion as outlined in chat.  Should
                be able to start to attack next update.

              Kell -  A bit of character development on the half Sidh
                side figure would be fun.  Too bad couldn't jump
                in the portal to see what was REALLY going on
                with Big Boy's fun. :)

              Unali - As the second email allowed the changes were
                done above.  If you have trouble with maps please
                ask. If it helps I can pinpoint exact objects X,Y
                in that detail if it helps. I'm just used to ascii
                maps since used them since '80s.  It would take
                me hours to a graphical map with flair but this is
                so much easier and faster.

              Will - Alex tried to see if you wanted to change actions.
                But guess didn't work out.  I had to assume you tried
                the inviso spell again.  I hope this is good.  I had
                to go with actions listed.  That alone would've taken
                3 phases (1 for each spell).

              Z'leyra - Healer's code do no harm. Healer's code help
                those who can't defend themselves.  Guess igoring the
                prisoners who could've got away with your help might
                be bad thing to think on when you chill down.  :<

          GM: Spells active

              Will      - Armor Transmutation, Mind Shield
              Raban     - Bless (OCV), Fist of Battle, Battle Mind
              Farseeker - Bless (OCV), Fist of Battle, Battle Mind
              Unali     - Battle Mind, Mind Shield, Sending
              Arawn     - Battle Mind, Bless (OCV)
              Fremea    - Mind Shield, Sending
              Unali     - Mind Shield, Sending
              Z'leyra   - Mind Shield, Sending

              * = Soon to end (next update?].  I may NOT post this
              info unless I remember to do so. :)

          GM: Maps

              ----------------------------
              Mount Side View -
                Scale - 1 Column = 15 feet
                        1 Row = 50 feet  North=wall facing screen
              [Looking from one wall to the other wall.  Toward North
               wall with back to south wall.  Looking east/west.]

                             1         2         3         4         5
                    12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
                   I###              Fake Vong ceiling             ###IA
                   I#                                                #IB
                   I#                                                #IC
                   I#                                                #ID
                   I#                                                #IE
                   I#                                                #IFCave
          Cave 1-> `#                                                #`G<-#4
                   I#                                                #IH
          Cave 2-> `#     Vong > Q                                    #`I<-#5
                   I# foot flyers                                    #IJ
          Cave 3-> `#                           Fremea-->T           #`K<-#6
                   I#                      Cave #6 World Brain -----/#IL
                   I#                                                #IM
                   I#                 @ <-Portal (Kotohi)            #IN
         Mount     I#T                                              T#IO
         Ground --?I#]A_A_A_A_A_A_A_A__________________V__V__V__V__V[#IP
                   I                       Y<X                        IQ
                   I                      Z                           IR

              I = Rock wall, #=Vong ladder structure
              ` = Entrance to cave [open mostly]
              _ = Rock floor (Row P) ground floor
              A = Vong Bowl Home (10' high)
              V = Vong flyer
              T = Vong Tower (30' high)
              ],[=Base of Vong tower (wooden)
              X = Rabbit Hole opening 30' wide below cavern to tunnels
              Y = Tunnel of Treasure/Sentry cave (under ground floor)
              Z = Pit/Lake caves below elevation of Treasure cave tunnel
             1-6= Side caves on east/west walls

    * World Brain cave

          1           2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%/      A   %% = Rock Wall
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\%%%%%\__    B
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/U \%%/  \__ C
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \__K  \__/  \__/%%\__/   D
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/T \__/  \**** \%%/  \__ E
   %%   \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/****_/%%\__/   F
  ,,,\__/ R\__/  \__/  \__/  \_ ** \%%/  \__ G
  ]]]/FB\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ *\__/%%\__/   H
  ```\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__*  \%%/  \__ I
   %%/  \__/  \__/ ###_/ @@@ /  /__/%%\__/   J
   %%\__/  \__/  \_### Z@@@@@  /   \%%/  \__ K
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \._/@@@@@ / \__/%%\__/   L
   %%\__/  \__/  \__/  \_@@@ /  /  \%%/  \__ M
   %%/  \__/  \__/  \  /    /   \__/%%\__/   N
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%###%%%%%%%%%%/  \__ O
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\__/   P
            1         2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901

            1         2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%/      A   %% = Rock Wall
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\%%%%%\__    B
   %%                            U  %%/  \__ C
   %%                  K            %%\__/   D
   %%                T        ****  %%/  \__ E
   %%    CR                   ****  %%\__/   F
  ,,,                           **  %%/  \__ G
  ]]] FB                       *    %%\__/   K
  ```                           *   %%/  \__ I
   %%              ###   @@@        %%\__/   J
   %%              ### Z@@@@@   /   %%/  \__ K
   %%                  .@@@@@  /    %%\__/   L
   %%                    @@@  /     %%/  \__ M
   %%                        /      %%\__/   N
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%/  \__ O
   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\__/   P

            1         2         3         4
   12345678901234567890123456789012345678901

    Portal - Center is L29 going diagonal bottom left to top right.
             30' wide and 30' high shimmering portal
    World Brain = @@ 25' by 20' wide.  Tentacles are 15' long
    * = Wooden Barrels

    ],'= Stairs ledge to stairs

   As always if map messed up see website.

   Map Legend

   A - Arawn    [On Stairs off map] H - Chion     [Carried by Raban]
   B - Ben'dar  [K5 ] Facing West   F - Farseeker [K4 ] Facing West
   C - Caladan  [On Stairs off map] K - Kell      [D21] Facing West
   R - Raban    [F8 ] Facing West   U - Unali     [C31] Facing West
   W - Will     [On Stairs off map] T - Kiet      [E19] Facing West
   Z - Z'leyra  [K21] Facing East   L - Lin       [???] Off map
     - Fremea Off map to west [left] outside stairs

   ##= Elemental #1 [J18] Facing East