[pnpgm] Game Update #157 - File #1089 - Search prep

John Haight sang_real at msn.com
Thu Mar 17 20:48:44 CET 2011


   As discussions continue regarding scouting Arawn stands up from where he was sitting at the base of one of the apple trees.

   "I would prefer neither scout go alone but Fremea has few options for companions."

   He looked away from the party, his gaze drifting off into the deeper part of the forest.

   "As for Will, I will accompany him. There are few that understand the forest better than the Sidh."

> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:54:26 -0500
> To: pnpgm at abroere.xs4all.nl
> From: longshotgm at netzero.com
> Subject: [pnpgm] Game Update #157 - File #1089 - Search prep
> 
>              
>   HT Alias/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
>   -- -----------------------------------------------------------------
>   R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
>   ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
>   R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
>   W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
>   W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
>   --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
>   R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
>   R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
>   R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
>   W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
>   W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
>   R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
>   R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
>   R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
>      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 
> 
>      Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
>      Public posts/actions to pnpgm at abroere.xs4all.nl (mailing list)
>      Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com
>                                                
>      Game Update #157 in sequence (file #1089)      
>      ----------------------------------------------------------------
>               
>      Admin Notes: None. 
>      -----------------------------------------------------------------
>      [Recap]
> 
>         From Will: [Re: Actions]                                
>           Will:  "Thus far we haven't seen any obvious signs of the....
> 
>           Will: "Anything we do is a risk but we need to gather....
> 
>           Before Wills horse eats any of the apples he reigns him in and
>           takes a moment to observe the flora and fauna looking for
>           anything unusual.  He will look at the trees looking for any
>           signs of other animals and weather any have been eating the
>           apples.
> 
>           Then Will asks "Those of you can sense that sort of thing how...
>         GM: Ack. 
> 
>         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]                             
>           Z'leyra offers "I can create an item that, when triggered,...
>         GM: Ack.
> 
>         From Will: [Re: Actions]                                        
>           Will:  "As I said earlier I think that scouting is very....
>         GM: Ack.
> 
>         From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
>           Kiet doesn't like the idea of some of these people just wanting
>           to march straight down to the base of the mount.  "As I said...
>         GM: Ack.
> 
>         From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
>           Fremea will do scouting. However, if Z can make that item to for
>           instant teleport, she will take it.
> 
>           "This may take a little bit to scout it out. Put a marker as...
> 
>           She will also use her Herbalism, and other skills to check the
>           apples for anything unusual.
>         GM: Ack.
> 
>         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]                             
>           Z'leyra says "Okay, let us find a concealed spot where the...
> 
>           She asks Fremea for some hair to weave the teleport item into.
>           Once a good spot has been found she will braid the hair into a
>           bracelet for Fremea, mark a spot with some rocks or branches
>           then do the necessary magics to ensorcel the bracelet and purify
>           the spot for an incoming teleport.
>         GM: Ack. 
> 
>         From Will: [Re: Actions]
>           Maybe Will and one other can scout at ground level, creeping
>           around the mount looking for openings?
> 
>           Will is game...  so long as he sticks to the trees and isn't
>           ambushed  he should be able to escape if he encounters any
>           Vong.
>         GM: Ack. First line I'm not sure if you posted that or was in the
>             quote.  If quote haven't seen the original post yet. 
> 
>         From Kell: [Re: Actions]
>           Yes, that was the idea.  Stay in the forest and circle around.
>         GM: Ack. 
>  
>         From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
>           Fremea very carefully picks a hair and watches Z do the weaving
>           to make sure the whole piece of hair is used. Anyone can tell
>           she is very cautious and a bit nervous until the bracelet is in
>           her hands.
>         GM: Ack. 
> 
>      -----------------------------------------------------------------
>      [New Stuff]
> 
>          [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
>          [Location: Middle Katai Plains] 
>          [          Mountains west of Pamau]
> 
>          [Time: 9:24am]
> 
>            The horses pick up some speed going down the slope once they
>          see the apples.  There are many trees devoid of them and many
>          with loads of them.  On the ground are few ones but likely
>          those have been eaten by animals.
> 
>            Will stops his horse from snacking on the horse and glances
>          around.  He notices definite signs of previous animal life.
>          Even a nest is seen.  But the presence of the people and horses
>          must've scared the animals away.  In the distance bird song can
>          be heard but they must be too scared by the large group to be
>          in the immediate area.  There are signs of bark being scratched,
>          eaten, rubbed on or picked at by animals from woodpeckers to bears.
> 
>            Then Will asks, "those of you can sense that sort of thing how
>          do you tell the difference between the Vong's creatures and those
>          of our world?"
> 
>            Caladan grabs an apple and examines it.  "As has been discussed
>          the presence of mana is the biggest clue.  If they have an aura
>          then they are our creatures.  If not then they must be Vong."
> 
>            Fremea uses her herbalism skill to inspect the apples but finds
>          nothing out of the ordinary.
> 
>            Farseeker throws down a apple and spits out a piece.  This shocks
>          the others and they throw down their own and stop their horses.
>          But then the warrior points. "I hate apples with worms in them!"
> 
>            Relieved Caladan bites into his apple and find it quite juicy
>          and quite good.  "I'm not dead again yet.  If they had poisoned
>          these trees we'd have seen it.  The animals would be dead and
>          the trees would be affected.  Who knows maybe the Vong even
>          like our apples."  He takes another bite and then nods. "Quite
>          good. " He hands a piece to his horse to eat.  
> 
>            Inside the forest the group dismounts and Unali asks for
>          plans and ideas.
> 
>            Will adds in his view, "Thus far we haven't seen any obvious
>          signs of the Vong using magic detectors but their weapons can
>          hunt out some magics.  If they do have them anyplace it would
>          probably be here.    It would probably be best to avoid setting
>          them off or perhaps wait until it suits our purpose to set them
>          off."
> 
>            Farseeker nods but shrugs at the same time, "I suspect if they
>          cared to watch they would have by now.  No good could come of
>          letting an enemy enter such a place like this forest without
>          some trip wire system.  I suspect it would be on the mountains
>          or just from casual flyover patrols.  But I have a feeling that
>          they don't care.  Look at their warriors.  They are arrogant
>          and believe themselves superior.  Such fools don't think of
>          such things like a party like us sneaking up on them.  So I
>          suspect they don't know we are here.  I believe we are in a good
>          position for our ambush."
> 
>            As the first idea of Fremea doing the scouting with her very
>          useful magical spyglass which can see miles away as if it was
>          feet away, some consider the risks.
> 
>            Will glances to Farseeker to reply to his comment on risks,
>          "Anything we do is a risk but we need to gather  information.
>          He who knows himself and his enemy will be victorious.  We don't
>          even know if they do see magic or how far they see.  We have seen
>          with the map that there information is great. Fremea if she is
>          willing would be a good choice to find out more."
> 
>            Changing topics slightly:  "Does anyone know much of their
>          habits whether they be nocturnal or not?  When our forces are not
>          as great as those of our enemy it is often good to attack in the
>          wee hours of the morning."
> 
>            Zhou shrugs as he ties up his horse to a tree. "We know little
>          of their personal habits other than their love of pain and
>          torture.  As well as their caste system and desire to conquer.
>          We can assume they are going to be overt at night.  Those flyers
>          are best used at night when can't be seen.  Their general
>          appearance is the same thing.  But inside their private place
>          or base they could be walking around naked for all we know."
> 
>            Farseeker raises an eyebrow at Will, "you should like an old
>          general I knew.  He'd quote those sayings.  But he always
>          reminded us that sayings don't win battles but action does.
>          I just hope our action will be done well."
> 
>            Z'leyra offers, "I can create an item that, when triggered,
>          can cast a spell such that the user appears back in a location
>          that is selected when I make the item, preferably the location
>          that the item is made at. This could allow someone to more safely
>          scout out the mountain and be less likely to be caught and killed
>          while scouting. It is hard to cast a spell while being damaged,
>          but this item could hopefully cast the spell if the scout was
>          being hurt. We know the enemy can hurt us even while we are
>          invisible, insubstantial and moving. But with such an item a
>          scout with those spells up might stand a very good chance of
>          surviving a scouting mission.  Comment?"
> 
>            Farseeker shrugs.  "Of course if the spell fails or the
>          person is killed that's a problem.  Then there is the problem
>          where they teleport back to they might be able to pinpoint.
>          Might as well light up a smoke signal in that case."
> 
>            Caldan nods in agreement, "I've seen that clever magical
>          eye scope that Fremea has.  She can see what 8 or 10 miles
>          away as if it was 100 feet.  She need not be that close
>          to the mountain to scout.  This is why she could simply fly
>          from peak to peak to scout and not even in risk of being
>          seen or detected."
> 
>            Will adds, "As I said earlier I think that scouting is very
>          important to developing a winning strategy.  First I think that
>          somebody like Fremea or Z'leyra who can fly unobtrusively should
>          take a look around.  Then I think someone should take a look
>          inside and for that person having a quick emergency escape plan
>          is a very good idea, its probably not such a bad idea for the one
>          flying.  Unfortunately we probably don't have the time to make
>          something like that before we take a flight around the valley."
> 
>            "No." Farseeker jumps in, "the scout should not enter the
>          place even if there is a big sign saying its safe.  He or she
>          should report back to us first.  Then we can form a entry
>          plan."
> 
>            Kiet doesn't like the idea of some of these people just wanting
>          to march straight down to the base of the mount.  "As I said
>          before, it's really, really unwise to simply walk down there from
>          this direction. Perhaps a short march to the side?"
> 
>            "And another thing...these Vong seem to have very lax security.
>          Where are they?  Shouldn't they have flyers up searching for their
>          own enemies?"
> 
>            Zhou looks around, "to the side of what? The mountain?
>          From what we saw the mount is surrounded by the forest but
>          a inner ring of open area.  Unless the north east side and
>          north area is different we can't tell for sure.  We can only
>          guess at this point."
> 
>            Farseeker grunts, "they are likely overconfident in their
>          security.  But I suspect their fliers are just like any
>          animal.  They might fear the storm, especially lightning, so
>          avoid flying during it.  They would be good targets to be
>          hit by such a thing.  The theory could've been tested if Whitney
>          had gotten his magic spell off before he got blinded by it.  I
>          suspect once the storm stops we might see more of them."
> 
>            Finally, Kiet muses a bit..."Hmmm...is there some way to put a 
>          glamour or such on the Vong themselves?  I mean, if they were
>          radiating mana, for instance, might their own bugs mistake them
>          for us?"
> 
>            Caladan rubs his wet chin, "that is a very interesting question.
>          It could work but their resistance might block the spell from
>          attaching to it...hmmmm"
> 
>            When it becomes clear that scouting is needed, Fremea begins
>          to gather up her bow and spyglass.  "This may take a little bit
>          to scout it out. Put a marker as to where you are going."
> 
>            Z'leyra says, "Okay, let us find a concealed spot where the rest
>          can wait and the teleport can be keyed to."
> 
>            Fremea plucks a hair from her head and hands it gently to Z'leyra
>          in some awe and concern.  It seems okay to give over a piece of
>          herself to an ally but she always was told that such a thing can
>          give magic power over her.
> 
>            Farseeker pulls off his glove to let them dry out a bit from
>          the rain.  he realizes the party has been gone for 137 days
>          according to his math since they left Marentia.  A full third
>          of a year has passed.  He watches Z'leyra and Fremea work and
>          leans into to whisper to Caladan. "Already starting with a big
>          spell.  Just hope they can't locate use before things begin.
>          Then the issue of saving magic power for the final battle."
>          He recalls Cloud Base and how even Z'leyra ran out of mana. 
> 
>          Actions? Comments?
> 
>          Next Update...Friday...
> 
>          GM: A short update.  Got some last minute emails and posts.
>              I don't have time to process the spells for the item
>              tonight.  So will finish the item, the scouting by
>              Fremea and looks like Will alone in the forest in then
>              next update.  I'm off Thursday but will likely work on
>              it late night Wednesday.  Any posts that come in Thursday
>              I can add but no guarantee all get in.  Stay tuned for
>              results.  BTW so we can go in advance.  If there is
>              something in particular you might want to take with you
>              if you leave the horses it is a good time to let me know
>              now.  I'll assume weapons, armor, healing stuff, magic
>              items are taken as would expect.  but spare large weapons
>              or food or such may not.  If there is something unusual
>              like a book that need to be taken let me know.  
> 
>          GM: Minor web updates:
>              * Contact file updated - Removed Chris's info.  I believe
>                Mark and David may want to update their email info?
>              * Adventure Timeline: Just updated the timeline history.
> 
>          GM: We are 90%+ done with adventure.  Cleaning up files I notice
>              no one has thought of possible spell tweaks.  I did have one
>              to talk about it but that was it.
> 
>          GM: Just a minor FYI at this point party treasure is about 71
>              gold.  But I've not includes the pirate treasure funds
>              but still may be a handful of gold cons for each survivor.
> 
>          GM: Anyone interested if I put the first 3 adventures on the
>              website?  Folks can read/reference them like Clima if
>              you guys want?
> 
>          GM: Generic map of area in rough form.
> 
>              /I\ = North
>               1 Row    = Half a mile [around 2640 feet]
>               1 Column = Almost 1/10th mile [Around 410 feet each column]
> 
>               4 Miles by 4 miles 
> 
>                        1         2         3         4        5
>               12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
>              ____________________________________________________
>              I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                     I A
>              I        %%%%%%%%%%%%%   % %%%% 7                  I B
>              I6    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       %%%%  %%%%%   4        I C
>              I       %%%%%%%%%%%%%   X    %%%%%%%%%%%           I D
>              I    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       i E
>              I5      %%%%%%%%%%P%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       I F
>              I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                   I G
>              I        3            2              1             I H
>              ----------------------------------------------------
> 
>              X = Rising Mount [D24] -  1,000 feet high, 1,000 feet wide
>              1 = Mountain     [H37] - 10,000 feet high
>              2 = Mountain     [H22] -  8,700 feet high
>              3 = Mountain     [H9 ] -  5,600 feet high
>              4 = Mountain     [C42] -  8,000 feet high
>              5 = Mountain     [F1 ] -  6,900 feet high
>              6 = Mountain     [C1 ] -  6,400 feet high
>              7 = Mountain     [b32] -  8,450 feet high
>              % = Forested area major tree area
>              P = Party place  [F18]    Forest ground
> 
>              Party is now about 2,000 odd feet to the Rising
>              Mount inside the forest.  Can move deeper if needed.
>              Party is about 500 feet from edge of clearing at this
>              point.  
> 
>              All heights are estimates.  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pnpgm mailing list
> pnpgm at abroere.xs4all.nl
> http://abroere.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pnpgm
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.powersandperils.org/pipermail/pnpgm/attachments/20110317/cb8d01e6/attachment.html>


More information about the pnpgm mailing list