[pnpgm] Game Update #178 - File #1235 - The Abyss

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue Jul 26 09:05:31 CEST 2011

  HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     NPC...................Captain.Lin.......Warrior.Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #178 in sequence (file #1235)

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          [ OOC - Sweet!  Kell finally gained a CEL.  About time.  Only
          took nearly loosing his arm 3 times.

          Scott - I like the new experience/health page.  Very handy.
          Great job on it!  ]
        GM: Ack. Thanks.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          At the man's words Arawn gently pulled his hand back, respectful
          of his wishes. He remained silent as the man spoke, though
          compassion shone in his eyes when the man dismissed his own
          worth. He understood the sacrifice the man was making and his
          desire to live or die with dignity. Looking to Farseeker and
          Unali he nodded, letting it be known that he was willing to allow
          the man the peace of death should they be willing to strike the
          blow. Arawn knew that he could do it but guessed that the human
          would find more dignity in passing from the hand of one of his
          own. In the precious few moments the man had left Arawn turned
          back to him and asked in a soft and calm voice,

          "We will save them but we need to know, how do we get to the...

          OOC: Scott, I'm up for having Adventures #1 onwards listed
          somewhere. I've been speculating on the Vong but think that the
          clues (or big clues) probably predated my time and I'd love to
          dig into their mystery:)
        GM: Ack. Good actions/role playing.  As to adventure so far you
            are the only interested one.  As to Vong I'll probably post
            on that soon.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          All, How do you think the executioner skill should be used?

          Executioner
          An Executioner is skilled in killing bound or helpless...
          [*Deleted for now*]
          ...Thanks
        GM: Ack. I'm working on this response.  Stay tuned.  I don't
            mind folks talking about it here.  Surprised so far only
            a couple posted about in the PNP list figured bunch more.

        Post from Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Hi Dave,
          My opinion.  These are only my opinions and should in no way
          be construed as legally binding.
          ------------------------
          ...[**Deleted for space**]
          That's my $0.015
        GM: Ack. Thanks for opinion.

        From David: [Re: Opps]
          Sorry...this wasn't meant fo this group....but for the 'big'
          PnP group....
          Yes, I am an idiot.
        GM: Ack.  I meant to suggest the pnp list due to it had more
            GMs.  I didn't mean to scare you away from this list.  I
            don't mind either one.  But I think you'd get more coverage
            in the other list since only a few read this list and much
            more the other list.

         [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

         [Time: 12:58 pm]

           Z'leyra finishes her work on healing the wound with the typical
         water, herbs and balms.  But the best isn't the warm water that
         soothes the burning wound but the gentle touch of her rough
         hands, Kell figures.  He wonders how such a girl can kill a man
         with that great sword on her hip and wield her staff in those
         taunt coarse hands yet still gently caress like a brothel girl
         who knows a good tip is due.

           Z'leyra figures the wound isn't critical though she knows the
         arm is useless.  With quick thinking the main artery on the arm
         can be closed up from bleeding too much.  She quietly figures
         that so many more wounds to this arm could be impossible to
         fix.  Even with great healing and regeneration techniques she
         has seen some body parts only deal so much of healing arts.
         Then the body fails to get healthy.  She doesn't tell the young
         spear-thrower this but keeps it to herself.

           Z'leyra determines it will require a high level spell to heal
         it.  Already the man will require it but so early in the fight
         he needs healing already.  Z'leyra softly begins to beat the
         shamnic drum to get into her quick trance for healing.  A few
         long seconds later she casts her healing spell.  The green hue
         of healing magic springs from her finger onto Kell's wounded
         arm and spreads out in all directions covering the bulk of his
         wound.  Tissue begins to mend and pink up with new life of
         blood and energy.  Z'leyra removes the tie that binds the
         arm's main artery from the core body.  This allows the arm
         to quickly gain blood and vigor.

           Kell grins from ear to ear as he flexes his newly recrafted
         arm and looks up to Z'leyra in thanks.  Z'leyra isn't sure
         if that is his normal grin or that he is about to sell her
         magical beans to cover all her problems.  Z'leyra wipes the
         remains of the blood that formed from the healing and ensures
         the arm is fully recovered.  At this point there is not a bit
         of physical wound as he is fully healed.

           Z'leyra gathers up her things and watches the others wait
         who seem to be impatient to move on.

           Zhou glances down at Kell and smiles.  "With help like that
         you will never die.  OF course maybe you should dodge next
         time."

           Up in the north end of the cave the others form around the
         dying man.  Soon Strie'bog and the others catch up.  Ben'dar
         doesn't look happy that he missed out on the fun.

           At the man's words Arawn gently pulled his hand back, respectful
         of his wishes. He remained silent as the man spoke, though
         compassion shone in his eyes when the man dismissed his own
         worth. He understood the sacrifice the man was making and
         his desire to live or die with dignity. Looking to Farseeker and
         Unali he nodded, letting it be known that he was willing to allow
         the man the peace of death should they be willing to strike the
         blow. Arawn knew that he could do it but guessed that the human
         would find more dignity in passing from the hand of one of his
         own.

           In the precious few moments the man had left Arawn turned
         back to him and asked in a soft and calm voice,

           "We will save them but we need to know, how do we get to the
         others? And do you know what these beings great plan is? Where
         their leader is or where they are coming from? And, odd as it
         sounds, have you seen any sign of a great brain?"

           Arawn paused for a moment before adding,

           "Time is short but whatever you share may make all the
         difference."

           AS Arawn speaks Raban hauls the dead Vong from the hallway
         back into the cave.  He throws him down onto the ground and
         begins to move toward the others.  From the south the others
         are rounding the corner to rally up near the Vong door.

           "..I think we should wait for the others before we move
         on."  Captain Lin looks down at Fremea as they walk through
         the door.  Only a bit absently she hears the words as he
         continues walking and talking.  She realizes for the first
         time she has walked more in the last month then her entire
         life.  How can humans walk like this all the time?  The
         legs get tired for sure.

           The dying man looks around him at the strange assortment of
         people.  As he picks at one chunk of coral implant on his
         arm he looks back at Arawn to consider his fate.  Arawn
         can tell his eyes are empty with pain, regret and hopelessness.

           "You will find the others shortly.  Down the hall.  You
         can't miss them.  No one can miss them.." His eyes drift
         away in thought then back at Arawn.  "Most are beyond hope
         but some can be saved.  You are brave folks to go against
         these creatures.  Their great plan?  Simple nothing less
         than conquest of the Empire and likely the world.  We
         can't hope to defeat them.  At the least maybe you can
         save a few before they kill everyone...The mists of time
         fade fast through the memories of one's past..."  Arawn
         figures the man must be in shock is rambling a bit.

           Z'leyra runs up to inspect the man as Strie'bog holds the
         man's wrist.  Arawn shakes his head to Z'leyra and gives
         a quiet nod that the man doesn't want to be saved.

           "Their leader is a tower of a man...like that one there.." He
         points at Raban.  "He is Supreme Commander Shimara.  One hand
         is nothing but this huge ball of coral.  It can smash a man's
         skull like butter.  Most of the beings are up there."  He
         points to the ceiling.  "Where do they come from?  That I
         do not know.  I am a simple farmer such wisdom is ..beyond
         my reasoning...Great brain?"

           "Some say this..thing..like a brain is up there...but folks
         are so scared of it they do not dare speak of it."  The dying
         man then breathes out a few puffs.

           Farseeker looks down to Arawn and considers ending it now
         but he can see the man seems to still speak.  He looks at
         his large sword and wonders if it would be fast enough and
         less painful.  He glances at Kiet and thinks the Lemasan might
         be best to end it.

           The man closes his eyes and places a free hand on his chest.
         Strie'bog holds his other wrist while Arawn watches the face
         very closely.

           A few long moments pass then the man suddenly jerks his eyes
         open and looks right at Arawn. "Sacrifice is a universal cause.
         Harmony is a privilege.  Life ever lasting is a bonus.  One
         must seek the wisdom of the great sphere.  One must leave while
         others seek shelter.  To mark the point the protection of the
         heavens can only support."  Then the man's eyes close up for
         good.

           Arawn checks the man's neck and finds no pulse.  He glances
         around at the others and wonder what that all means.  For
         a simple farmer he must be a poet or philospoher.

           "We need to move on." Farseeker sheathes his sword and heads
         toward the door.  "We may not have much time."

           As the group heads to the Vong entry way the smell of the
         outside area begins to overtake the senses.

           Strie'bog trails behind as Arawn is one of the last to leave
         the area.  Arawn wanted to ensure the Orb was destroyed and
         the other Orbs weren't affected in the lake.  But at the quick
         glance nothing seems to have changed.

           Strie'bog glances at Arawn quietly and looks around.  His
         face is even more green and pale even for his half breed
         green coloring it's unnatural.  "That last bit of words?"
         He pauses and glances back at the body.  "The guy was dead."

           Arawn stops and stares at the bard.  Strie'bog nods, "There
         was no pulse.  I'm confused how he could speak?"

           Arawn is intrigued.  Could there be Vong brain implants that
         stirred up some mental process or was there something else
         entirely about the situation.  Zhou urges the two to hurry
         up and the Alfar realizes there is no time to figure out for now.

           The group heads down the twisting hallway.  As they move the
         edges are searched for other hidden Vong now since that lesson
         has been learned.  It seems like the cave tunnel doesn't seem
         to be natural but as if eaten away by a large worm. Likely
         some Vong animal the party figures out.

           It goes north then west and turns around a corner. At this
         point the hallway is about 6 feet wide and 8 tall.  It opens
         into a caved in zone that can't be entered on the right.  But
         to the left light is seen.  Lin and Fremea creep slowly forward.
         It opens to a cave about 12 feet tall and 20 feet wide.  There
         is a single torch on the right side.  There is some dark opening
         to the far opposite end.  But to the left structures are seen.
         For those at the carnival ground the structures are noticed
         right away.  The baroness called it the Embrace of Pain.  The
         torture device is like a hog spit or complex stock where bodies
         are hung down or stand and lean into the Embrace like a stock.

           The first one closest a human female is facing to the right
         with head hanging down and dressed in remains of rags of clothing.
         To the side of her on the left side of the wall a human male
         is seen this one is leaning back to the floor hanging upside
         down.  His feet and hands are tied in a figure 8 formation along
         the single stick that he dangles from.

           On the right side a Vong Warrior is facing away and looking at
         the dark opening on the other side.  Lin squints in the dim
         light and looks at the humans.  Then his eyes see the man
         and he becomes alert.  "Slin?"  He waves to the Vong for the
         others to take care of and then before anyone reacts he rushes
         forward.

           Farseeker, being the fastest of the group always acts first
         due to his supernatural agility, pushes his way past the
         others and enters the small cave.  He rushes the Vong and
         thrusts his great sword.  The blade impales the warrior just
         as he swings to realize he is being attacked.  The blade
         digs in deep and does massive damage.  The Vong warrior falls
         to the ground with a thud.

           But Lin ignores this and rushes to the male.  "Slin!"
         He reaches for the leather-animal material ropes to help
         him out.  The man seems to look up and look dazed.

           "Lin?  You are a prisoner as well?" Slin replies weakly.

           "No.  We are here to take the creatures out."  He quickly
         tried to take the ropes off. But as with the barnoness it
         seems the more the person struggle the tighter the bonds
         come making ita futile torture.

           "I'm too far gone.  They've poisoned me with some foul thing.
         They wanted to see how long I would live in this pain. They
         thought I would enjoy the death as it would honor their gods.
         Just end it quickly."

           "No!  these people can help you."  Lin urges him.

           "No good.  The poison has affected my mind too much.  Even
         that can't be helped.  End it now ..as my friend.  Please!"

           Lin looks to the others as they enter the room.  With some
         pleading eyes he gives up on the ropes as the pain seems to
         increase as he tries to cut them away.  The vile device seems
         to make it more painful just to move. He isn't sure how the
         device works but it looks like a simple stock. Yet the rope
         and stick seem to work in some odd Vong fashion to as if they
         are alive.

           "Do it!  Then leave this place.  Tell my mother..."  His
         eyes close in pain as his feet begin to cramp from the odd
         angle of his toes.

           Lin draws a blade and hesitates.  Then he thrusts his dagger
         into the heart with one great plunge. "I'm sorry." He whispers
         softly as the man quickly dies.  He pulls his dagger out and
         drops it to the ground for a moment.

           Arawn and Z'leyra are mortified by the act but by the time
         they got to the place it all happened too fast.

           Fremea finds the human woman of 30s or so age dead in the
         stock already from bloody bruises and other things.

           Captain Lin stands up after he grabs the dagger and cleans
         it a bit.  His voice seems to change in a odd way.  "No more
         playing around.  We kill everyone of these creatures.  This
         is personal now.  No more games.  I know who you are and
         what you are." He wipes his dagger off and looks at the floor.
         "The enemy is a friend if there is a new common foe.  The
         Vong are our enemy.  I give you my word till this is over
         I will not care what you do. "  He places the dagger in his
         belt sheath.  Then he turns around to look at the others.

           "You are wizards and other things." He glances at Fremea.
         "It doesn't take a scholar with those special detectors to
         find this out.  I'm no fool.  I'm the elite of my people.
         Hide no more.  Use what you must to get this job done."
         Then he walks to the dark hole.

           Zhou looks a bit shocked to find this out and looks to the
         others.  He was sure this fake cover would've worked out.
         But some seem to be confused but many do not seem to be
         shocked at all.  When did he realize all this Zhou wonders
         why he didn't act further.

           At the dark opening it turns out to be a opening to a larger
         cave.  As eyes adjust the stench seems to make folks gag as
         they get closer.  Unali and Will are the first to see past
         the area but others soon get closer.

           "He was one of my fellow warriors captured by the Vong.  I
         thought he was dead." Lin tells Kell who looks curious.  "He
         was a good friend."

           Through the cave opening a huge cavern is fount.  It seems to
         be 50-60 feet tall.  The single most area is a large pit.  Around
         the pit is a rim of natural formation ledge about 10-15 feet
         in some areas.  From this opening there seems to be a path left
         and right going down below about 30 feet to the ledge itself.
         It takes a bit of time then Vong are noticed in various places
         along the ledge.  There are clumps of humans as well.  It is
         too distant to get details at this pint and the light is a bit
         dim.  The cave stretches from the opening to the other side
         about 150 feet.  It is about 100 feet left to right.

           "Oh my god." Farseeker points to the pit.

           There it is very dark but forms are seen.  The pit itself
         must be 50 feet by 50 feet and maybe 50 deep.  As the party
         tries to peer and adjust eyes they notice bodies.  In fact
         it seems body parts and full bodies.  The stench is finally
         realized as it seems to be dead bodies.  There must be at
         least 40-50 in the pit.  There are many arms or legs or head
         tossed about like a orgy of rage.

            The pit of stomachs of each person sinks as the horror
          unfolds before them.  Down below humans are led about or
          ushered.  It is unclear if the humans are to be killed or
          as slaves.  But it is clear the dead in the pit are beyond
          hope.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update....Friday...

         GM: Some might be surprised by the experience in this encounter.
             It was well earned.  These are not npc character class folks.
             They are full class pc style characters thus with full hpv
             thus they will be CDF 3 at the least for both warriors and
             shapers.  One kill could earn easily 90 experience per. So
             this is why the experience stacks up.

         GM: Crud!  Ran out of time.   I wanted to go over more details
             of the cave.  Then work on a map and pinpoint things.  I'll
             try to do that in the next couple days.  It might not be
             enough to work on a plan but some things can be figured out
             if needed.   Stay tuned for more info.