[pnpgm] Game Update #150 - File #1050 - Farm ho!

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Mon Feb 14 20:55:28 CET 2011

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #150 in sequence (file #1050)

        From Will: [Re: Actions]
          Will seeing that his name no longer appears on the list jumps
          on his horse and rushes to catch up.  Perhaps he was distracted
          as he practiced with his tulwar.
        GM: Ack. So sorry.  I forgot.  I cut/paste the header guess I
            deleted you by mistake.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          As they ride (and if she can fly at all, she will) her....
        GM: Ack. Good stuff.  Will put below.

         [Augado 6th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]
         [          Northeast of city margins, few miles, river edge]

         [Time: 3:22pm]

           The day has gone well since leaving Pamau far behind.  The
         hills are rolling along fast under the swift feet of the party's
         horses.  Underbrush increases which helps to at least attempt to
         hide the party in some fashion.  But a party this big can only
         be hidden so well even in heavy forest if such were around.

           For a long while since it was daylight Fremea couldn't fly for
         fear of being seen.  But by this time of day it is relatively
         safe to fly high as aerial scout and report things seen ahead
         and around the party.

           But at this time Fremea sits behind Ben'dar since his large
         saddle and Tef'wo's wide back allows for easy dual riding. She
         rests her weary wings and wipes her eyes from the bright sun.
         She always wondered why her race was so sun-shy.  She had heard
         stories of some Faerry worshipping the sun and yet most seem
         to hate the sun.  But in a realistic world controlled by humans
         being awake and active in the day is required.  She has taken the
         chance to rest her wings and eyes but knows the party will depend
         on her to warn of trouble.  Of course she knows a party found
         with such a "demon" as her would condemn the party to death.  So
         the risk is a concern to everyone.

           As they ride,  she will) her thoughts wander. In the last few
         months, she has run away from her 'masters', befriended a very
         odd group of people, helped to free a great being and a pack of
         elementals, and now is on her way to save the middle earth from
         something very nasty. How does this all fit in to saving her
         parents, getting back at those that hurt her and took her
         childhood away? In her years of being trained, she still doesn't
         know what her role is supposed to be. She has been touched by the
         gods, but why? She thinks about how Arawn found a possible
         location for her parents and hopes that they are still there.

           Fremea listens to what others talk about, but doesn't have much
         to say. She knows in the coming battle she will have to use her
         skills to possible take out the biggest threat she has ever seen.
         These creatures seem to be void of any emotion for sympathy or
         compassion. She wonders if even their children are like the
         adults. Although, she has not heard of them having children.
         Again this brings her thoughts back to the bugs. They were
         created for a purpose, so she wonders if the Vong were created
         also and that is why they are so foreign to this world. She will
         be very vigilant in looking for a control device or thing to
         destroy.

                                        ------------

         [Time: 9:12pm]

           The first day ends with no encounters or problems.  The team
         makes a good 21 or so miles west which for a slow, cautious group
         like this one is impressive for the first day.  Though they did
         lose some time earlier in the morning so didn't get to go as long
         as possible.  But this time of year the sun sets almost near 8pm
         on clear days.  On non clear days it can be a bit earlier by a half
         hour due to the illusion of the cloud cover making it darker.

           Weather wise today was a good day being only up to about 87 and
         as cool as high 60s.  So travel was increased by the moderate
         temperatures.  Today was mostly clear and sunny but from the
         distant horizon it looks like the mountains bring worse conditions.

                                        ------------

         [Augado 7th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Hills west of Pamau]

           Today camp is broken up early at 6am after a quick early
         breakfast.  Travel today goes well making progress by the end
         of the day another 24 miles west.  For most of the day the
         party continues on through the hills by begins to enter the
         dark foreboding mountains.  A cool front helps the horses to
         not be as stresses as it gets as cool as 57 and only as high
         as 80 making thick clothing optional.  For most of the day
         it is partly cloudy and the sun is just a thing seen only
         once in awhile.

           Around 10:35am a light drizzle hits the party for about 20
         minutes and drenches everything.  Some use the rain to refill
         water skins and just cleanse themselves.

           Around lunch time, Arawn finishes his lunch and relaxes
         staring at the mountains in the west.  For the last couple
         days he has been studying the other documents below the map
         that was found in Amor's chest.  Others have helped but the
         Vong writing is not clear.  The strange writing is very
         difficult to figure out how to read it much less what it means.
         It is unclear if the words are read left to right, right to
         left or up down and maybe even sideways.  Sadly there is no
         piece of info that gives a good translation.  Arawn repacks
         the documents to continue study over the next couple of days.

           As Arawn packs up he inspects the Bug Map Bowl.  Earlier
         today he placed grass inside the bowl protected and held
         in place by the strange lip.  He assumed the bugs would eat
         the grass and he was right.  Most of it is indeed gone. In
         fact there are two more bugs.  He wonders where they came
         from either the two smaller bugs or the Control bug?  They
         seem the same size as the small bugs and realizes they came
         about fast.  He secures the lip knowing the crack is sufficient
         it seems to keep them dormant and with air.

           There has been debate whether to use a campfire or not.  But
         arguments win out that if the Vong can detect magic at some
         distance and they could see about 10 horses a small fire should
         not be a big beacon.  But just in case firebreaks are made to
         try to cover as much as the brightness as possible.

           Around the campfire some spar eager to get last minute
         training in.  Will, Caladan, Ben'dar and Farseeker are the
         ones who use blades in sparring.  All try new techniques on
         how to battle the Vong.  Ever since Zhou showed the gorup the
         Vong weak points - the neck, armpits, stomach area - the gooup
         has tried to concentrate on those areas.

           Caladan stops and rests, leaning characteristically on his
         tall war staff.  "Been thinking on those flyers.  If we can
         create strong wind and get them near the ground we could in
         theory crash them.  I have some wind magic but it would be
         tricky timing.  Those things on the front and back seem to
         suck in things...not sure how it would do when hit the ground
         but a strong impact could crack the shell of those things."

                                        ------------

         [Augado 8th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

           As the party enters the eastern side of the mountains the
         slopes begins to get higher and higher quickly.  The day is
         mostly sunny and clear as the clouds leave.  But this brings
         in some heat as the temperature ranges from 67 to 90.  So it
         is a bit warmer today making the horses in need of more breaks.

           Unali wakes up and notices after two days she is finally healed
         from Amor's wounds.  The first day of travel it didn't heal
         at all but the next two days it finally started to heal and
         fade.  She almost wanted to keep the wound as a mark to remind
         herself of her duty against the Vong.  But she has her motivation
         enough in the memories of the past and her hopes for her friends
         and family.

           Around 8:21am though some clouds roll in from a quick light
         storm and drizzle again drenches the party.  Those who are
         learning mountain survival and those who know it already are
         aware that storms in mountains can change fast.  The distance
         from ground to summit can vary temperature so much it has its
         own wind and weather systems at times.

           Around 12:24pm the party is starting to get hungry for
         lunch but wishes to finish a rise first.  Fremea swings down
         to report there is a farm just below the rise in the valley
         that looks medium sized.  She reports there are some cows
         and smaller animals about the place so it looks to be
         occupied.

           Zhou turns to Unali, "We are two days out maybe three.  So
         not that far from our destination.  Maybe we should drop by
         this place and see if they know any information?  You, me,
         Farseeker, Fremea and maybe Will can join us.  Will can serve
         as some guide for the area as we do our hunting.  The others
         can stay hidden.  We'll try to see if they can furnish or we
         can buy some food if they have it for the rest of you."

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: A short update for now.  I did move the party a few days
             along.  Next update I'll handle anything farm related.
             Then I'll move the party likely two more days ahead to
             the last day of travel.  At that point there will be
             some place to stop before the trip ends.  Remember deadline
             for skill selection is midnight Friday night.  I think
             the only one who said so far doing magic is Kiet and his
             Sky spell?  If you still wish to do it let me know.  Seems
             like folks have not posted either way to use it or not.

         GM: Deadline for final use of magic will be around 2/21.  I
             figure if magic is to be used before the party gets
             finished with trip it should be determined by then.  By
             then the trip will be pretty much over.  This way I can
             figure out final mana and get prepared for the big final
             stuff.

         GM: If folks still need their magic toys and items from the
             dark lands let me know as well by end of weekend if
             possible.  If none of the items are needed then no teleport
             will be done.  If Chion needs to teleport it can be done
             quickly with 2-3 jumps.  He will likely do it Aug 8 or 9
             so to give him a day or two to regenerate.  If you wish
             to join, give instructions, special requests etc for the
             dark lands let me know by end of weekend if possible.  I
             know a couple of you are out of town this week so I won't
             be bothered if you guys need to post on this next week.
             But for scene completeness will try to get it done in
             next week's updates if possible.

         GM: Skill training - [4 days - Aug 6-9th]
             [Deadline: 2/18 - Midnight EST]

             Ben'dar   -        [None - Now Npc]
             Chion     -        [None - Now Npc]
             Strie'bog -        [None - Now Npc]
             Arawn     -  [Sword-10 Points +1 EL]
             Caladan   -  [Mountain Survival - 6 Points - +1 EL]
             Farseeker -  [Katai Language - Maxed, Donaran R&W - 6 points]
             Kiet      -  [Horsemanship - 8 points - Learning still]
             Unail     -  [HtH-2 points, Mountain Survival-6 points]
             Will      -  [Tulwar-8 points - Still learning]
             Zhou      -  [Sword training  - 8 points]
             Fremea    -  [Herbalist - 8 points - +2 EL]
             Z'leyra   -*          None listed
             Raban     -*          None listed
             Kell      -*          None listed

         GM: Magic/Energy/Health Status - By Aug 10th unless magic used

                             Energy       Mana     Health
             Arawn     -      100%        100%     100%
             Ben'dar   -      100%         --      100%
             Caladan   -      100%        100%     100%
             Chion     -      100%        100%     100%
             Farseeker -      100%         --      100%
             Kell      -      100%        100%     100%
             Kiet      -      100%        100%     100%
             Strie'bog -      100%        100%     100%
             Unali     -      100%         --      100%
             Will      -      100%        100%     100%
             Zhou      -      100%         --      100%
             Fremea    -      100%        100%     100%
             Z'leyra   -
             Raban     -

             * If Blank I have to figure it out this weekend and it could
               change with spells one may cast.  Will update the above
               for next update.

         GM: Travel estimate -

             Party speed         : 21 MR due to slowest horse.
             Total distance to go: 98 miles

             Augado  6th - 7:30am-7:30pm - 21 miles
             Augado  7th - 6:00am-7:30pm - 24 miles
             Augado  8th - 6:00am-7:30pm - 24 miles
             Augado  9th - 6:00am-7:30pm - 24 miles
             Augado 10th - 6:00am-c9:00am-  5 miles [estimated]