[pnpgm] Game Update #127 - File #949 - Scroll Information

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Fri Oct 22 07:03:16 CEST 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #127 in sequence (file #949)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban has thought over all that occurred and realized his mistake
          was not pointing out people for others to check on. Being so
          concerned about the execution, he failed to act correctly for
          other aspects. Obviously he could not have followed them, or even
          moved much without calling attention, but the others could have
          done so without the problems. Did we loose an important lead due
          to stupidity? Or was it another trap from the various factions and
          better to have avoided it? Either way it is a hard learned lesson
          not to let his personal failings interfere with what is needed.
          He cannot let such things endanger the others, at least not
          overly so. Was this another lesson his Goddess thought he needed?
          If so this mission will be a difficult one of learning about his
          flaws, all of them.

          <could not think of anything that fit current scenes, so have
          some introspection
        GM: Ack.  Good introspection.  Even that's fare more than most
            have done recently.  Something is always better than nothing.
            As to lost chances I allow some retroactive things if it
            fits the advantage of the players.  But if the enemy needs
            the advantage then you gotta act fast or those chances are
            lost. :)  So the enemy or possible allies got away. :)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          As the others shared news of their various adventures Arawn
          thought back to the upper story of the warehouse. He had hoped
          to investigate it but didn't want to endanger the others by
          forcing the unconscious Brigader on them while he risked
          searching the burning building. He hoped the man would be in
          possession of information that would make up for it. Leaning in
          he studied the scrolls along with the others and whispered
          quietly to them in Marentian, making sure to remain unheard by
          the other patrons of the tavern.

          "My companion will be waking up in an hour or two. We should...
        GM: Ack. If you want to go look in the fire I can do it a bit
            retroactively.  But the only way up was in about 95% in flames
            so would be hard.

         [Augado 5th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]

         [Time: 5:20pm]

           The party now all together sits around a large table used for
         large parties.  The barkeep and staff perk up at the new look
         of tips and coin coming their way.  It seems this tavern has seen
         better times.  The place compared to Shantou's inn is in disarray.
         It could be from the recent noble purge that has caused the tavern
         to decline.  Maybe there is a new more modern place the current
         group of nobility visit?  But this actually serves as a good place
         for the group's purpose.  It allows them to hide in plain view and
         draw less attention.

           Raban has thought over all that occurred and realized his
         mistake was not pointing out people for others to check on. Being
         so concerned about the execution, he failed to act correctly for
         other aspects. Obviously he could not have followed them, or even
         moved much without calling attention, but the others could have
         done so without the problems. Did we lose an important lead due
         to stupidity? Or was it another trap from the various factions and
         better to have avoided it? Either way it is a hard learned lesson
         not to let his personal failings interfere with what is needed. He
         cannot let such things endanger the others, at least not overly so.
         Was this another lesson his Goddess thought he needed? If so this
         mission will be a difficult one of learning about his flaws, all
         of them.

           Raban's large behind and back makes the tiny seat creak and moan.
         But he listens to the others go over the day's details.  Raban
         glances around the old tavern which is mostly in darkness except
         for a few tables.  Raban knows this society has been brainwashed
         into thinking magic is evil for many centuries.  But it is more
         than just that.  It seems the culture is also what Jordi called
         xenophobic, scared of strangers and those not like them.  If this
         was Marentia he could rely on the Bard network for safety, info
         and contacts.  But here the bard is only something spoken of
         in coastal towns as a visitor.  Raban knows that change is
         slow to such a culture.  But Bards have changed cultures before.
         It only takes a few songs or few lines of poem to sway people's
         minds into a new thinking.  Who considers songs and poems a
         threat? It isn't as if the peasants stood around with pikes
         and clubs.  Raban suddenly realizes that maybe he being here
         is to help in a more strategic way rather than short term tactical
         way.  Maybe slowly more Bards can come and cause such a change.

           Will listens to the story of the noble house and warehouse.
         Sounds more like society dealing with chaos.  As Will sits
         at the table listening he sketches the description of Nom Amor
         from words he hears as well as the female he saw.  He knows the
         sketch of the female will be useless but if you jot these things
         down fast before the memory fades it might help.

           Fremea sits with her wings cramped up in her dress.  She sips
         her tea not being able to drink in her role.  She still is amazed
         that kids were saved yet kids were slaughtered.  Is this how
         humans work? Is it the greater good to save 2 kids and maybe kill
         a dozen other kids?  What makes those 2 kids more vital and
         important than the others?  Then a detail comes back to her
         mind.  Why did the executioner who was clearly a plant to save
         the kids abuse the woman?  He stripped her of the robe she
         wore to humiliate her.  This isn't a uncommon thing in some
         places with executions.  Going back to Donara some slave women
         and men sold for please were sold with no clothes.  It is a
         human way to judge things.  But why would an ally do that to
         her unless to gain trust of the crowd?  She didn't see this
         personally but got the details later from Raban's own point of
         view and description.

           Kell does most of the talking at the table on the details as
         he saw much of what happened from his angle.   He goes over what
         the military folks spoke of during their inspection.  He realizes
         that they were more concerned on what was done, who saw it and
         where folks were rather than their own people.  Kell wonders
         if they had expected it or just didn't care about the event at
         that time.

           As the others shared news of their various adventures Arawn
         thought back to the upper story of the warehouse. He had hoped to
         investigate it but didn't want to endanger the others by forcing
         the unconscious Brigader on them while he risked searching the
         burning building. He hoped the man would be in possession of
         information that would make up for it. Leaning in he studied the
         scrolls along with the others and whispered quietly to them in
         Marentian, making sure to remain unheard by the other patrons of
         the tavern.  "My companion will be waking up in an hour or two. We
         should find a good place to speak with him before then. We should
         also keep a careful eye out. With the recent events any strangers,
         especially those of us that stand out, will likely be investigated
         or watched now."

           As Arawn goes over the details of the fire at the warehouse,
         Zhou just shakes his head and mumbles into his ale mug.

           Ben'dar sits at the table drinking his ale bored with the
         Katai talking.  Other than the bits of Marentian he just sits
         back and nibbles on some food.  Some glance at him wondering
         why he has been so quiet lately.

           Z'leyra and Unali return to the table and eat as they listen
         to most of the details of the day.

           Kiet sits around and shakes his head and crosses his arms at
         various times.  He is appalled that Arawn used magic for one
         thing but to bring the prisoner here and likely in his pocket
         is madness.  He wonders what will come of the small kid he saw
         at the noble house.  Will Baron Ka recover to keep care of her?
         Was Baron Ka even married?  Surely he was as in this culture
         single noble parents rarely exist.  He wonders where she was
         during all this.  As others talk though he continues to read
         over the many sheets of parchments.

           "Nothing much happened here.  Just a couple people coming and
         going.  The wagon house and stable looks secure even for this
         older place.  But we can keep watch on it regardless." Caladan
         adds to the overall conversation.

           By now dinner is served which includes meats like ham, pork,
         chicken and even steak from local ranches.  Sides from piles
         of fruit, vegetables and breads are also served.  At various
         times the bar wenches come over and stare at some like Raban
         or Farseeker or Ben'dar for long moments but do not react
         scared just more fascinated.

           Occasionally the barkeep comes over with a new bottle of wine
         to serve Unali and Zhou.  He clearly knows the pecking order
         of this table.  For the others he simply leaves the bottle and
         doesn't pour it.  But for the two he dotes on he will sometimes
         say things like. "Did you hear about the town square?  A slaughter
         by heretics!"  "I hope a new purge doesn't take place." As well
         toward the end of dinner he adds, "A major warehouse is on fire
         somewhere in the market district.  Vandals I hear.  I thought
         crime was down!"  He shakes his head and goes back to the bar.

           Zhou listens to all the details and then finally places his
         ale down and shakes his head. "Not a good day for the city.
         I was hoping to find folks at the execution we could use or
         rely on.  Sounds like they were there but I don't blame anyone
         for not following up.  It sounded like a hectic scene.  Maybe
         it is for the best.  For all we know those people could've been
         plants by the military.  To lure folks like us to them into
         a trap."  He glances to those who went to the square. "I'm sorry
         you had to see it.  I wished we could've helped more.  But
         the mission would've suffered greatly if we had used healing
         magic.  It is a shame they could've been saved.  It is a shame
         we have to save this empire from even a greater threat.  Maybe
         we should let them suffer?"  He shakes his head and sips more
         ale. "I know the greater good.  But I can't help but think
         about it."

           Zhou turns to Arawn and looks up.  "I can't believe you
         did what you did."  He lowers his voice a bit. "You let them
         zero in a thing that uses a lot of stuff.  Then you carry it
         like a beacon back here.  It is too late I suppose.  we've been
         here too long to flee now.  We'll have to be careful.  Using
         special methods in this place is dangerous and we were warned
         months ago.  No one seems to listen do they?" He shakes his head
         and glances around.  "I had thought this was a test of how we
         could think and not use the special stuff but it seems some
         have passed better than others.  We've made it this far maybe
         the theory of their tracking ability is not as good as the
         propaganda talks about."

           "Sounds like the Peace folks didn't want the warehouse anymore."
         Zhou continues considering the day's events.  "They were prepared
         to do so before you showed up sounds like.  I have a theory on
         that.  If our visitor friends do not need these coffin to travel
         around then why keep the supplies which could lead to a paper
         trail? If Nom was any indication they can now pass as humans.
         Maybe they had to grow those things as well and needed months
         but the coffins initially.  If this is the case then we are
         in greater danger as they could walk right past us and we'd
         not know it.  This likely means if they have enough of these
         disguise things around their army may be ready to strike.  We
         have little time to spare."

           Farseeker perks up and looks at Arawn. "I doubt you'll learn
         much from the warehouse guy.  These people work like military
         in a need to know basis.  Gangs and criminal gangs work like
         same way.  The low street folks never know what the leaders
         are planning.  But you can try.  Just keep in mind our curse
         with prisoners."

           Zhou continues glancing at Unali.  "By killing Nom we may
         have tipped them off but if we haven't by now then they are
         more stupid than we assume.  It is sad we couldn't question
         him but I doubt we could with their love of pain.  It was
         suggested doing a sentry duty on the house.  But I rather
         folks stick around.  I'm not sure the Vong will return to
         Ka's house tonight.  The problem is the aide we saw will have
         our descriptions out.  So if anyone wishes to go and look over
         the house they are free but I recommend avoiding it.  Clearly
         most of us can't visit the inner city anymore.  The only ones
         that might get away with it is Ca Lu, Chu Mai, Sun Zhu and
         Tun Au."

           "Now let's finish this meal and study these documents."
         Zhou dives into his food.

         [Time: 6:03pm]

           Some time later the meal is finished and the talk over the
         scrolls starts with greater information learned.  Kiet moves
         over to Kell for his business sense at times.

           There is a pile of about 30 scrolls, 20 or so tiny parchments
         and a small book/ledger.  Apparently when Zhou checked Ka's
         desk he found some stuff on it and inside the drawer as well that
         looked interesting.

           "Hopefully Ka's people won't know this stuff is gone for some
         time if we are lucky."  Zhou taps the small book.

           What is learned is some interesting tidbits and facts.  The
         problem is the burnt scrolls may have contained more pieces of
         the puzzle.  But Nom apparently only had maybe a minute to burn
         those before the others came in.  They were destroyed beyond
         reading.  All documents are in full Katai dialect and no version
         of what looks like Vong writing.

           The firs thing that comes clear is that in two scrolls it
         would seem Baron Ka suspected the Pamau Count being involved
         with either a large crime group or some other group he didn't
         know of.  But apparently in his notes he later writes that the
         count was just a playboy type and liked to travel and gamble.
         There was no strict evidence to link him to crime or corrupt
         groups like the Vong.

           From the documents it seems clear Baron Ka had no clue what
         the Vong were or who they were.  He only knew of them by Nom
         Amor's connection.  From his notes it was clear he didn't trust
         Nom Amor and thought it was odd to deal with him but Baron Ka
         was getting the bulk of the advantage out of it.

           Baron Ka ended the investigation into Count Pham several weeks
         ago.  But it was clear Nom wanted to have an official meeting
         wit him but could not.  From the level of stress writing and
         anger in his notes it seemed Nom was forcing this situation.

           Baron Ka apparently felt Nom Amor might even be working for
         the Master General.  At one point it seems Nom Amor gave info
         on the local rebel forces.  Baron Ka profited greatly by turning
         in these heretics and executing them.  But Baron Ka was always
         trying to figure out how Nom knew so much.

           "Sounds like Baron Ka had no contacts in these underground
         bounty hunter groups.  Likely the count did but it is interesting
         to know the Baron didn't."  Zhou adds to the discussion.

           One scroll indicates the capture of a family just a day before.
         It was a copy of a death warrant issued by the military commander
         at the garrison.  It is unclear if Nom had some say in this
         arrest or not though.  Those documents were burnt it seems.

           With Kell's sense of business ledger info it is learned from
         the small book that Baron Ka sent payments to certain people
         around town.  Some were merchants but a few were companies that
         looked to be shipping related.  So this clearly ties it seems
         Baron Ka with the warehouse deals.  Kell determines from the
         odd codes with the numbers that it is payments to at least 6
         cities north and west.  It could lead to more strongholds
         in those cities if the party only had months to investigate."

           "Sounds like he was a traitor and didn't even know it."  With
         a gulp of his beer Farseeker says to no one in particular.

           There isn't exact details on the warehouse that burnt down if
         it was owned by Ka.  This seems to be a more generic ledger
         and the details must be elsewhere.  But it is a definite
         connection to the buying of warehouses and numerous coffins.

           Zhou raises one parchment and looks to Unali and Chion. "You
         ever hear of the Walkers?  Baron Ka must've paid them to do
         some work."

           Unali has but it is Chion who speaks of them first.  Chion
         explains it is a guild like service that do nothing but
         trail, trail and surveil.  They are quite expert in those
         things.  When someone goes missing they are sought out. When
         a noble needs to know if a employee is cheating by gambling
         funds or a wife meeting a lover they are sought out.  They
         are trained to observe and not interact.  Which makes them
         a safe and confident group.  They are known not to give out
         the info they learn to others making them safekeepers of
         knowledge.  Apparently the Walkers work solely in the city
         but Pathwalkers mainly track outside the cities.  They are
         a neutral group known not to be biased against any social
         class or order.  It is even rumored the Master General used
         some Pathwalkers to track a noble who insulted him.  After
         some 2,000 miles the noble thought he was safe in the mountains
         and they returned with their info.  Months later the noble was
         dead.  Chion explains they rarely act in even self defense.
         The only problem is some say they keep this info like Bards
         do but in hidden libraries around the Empire.  Some fear they
         will use this info one day to do something for some reason.

           "It seems the baron hired Pathwalkers to watch the Count
         head as far north as Crossroads.  He hired Walkers to track
         Nom Amor a few times.  But Nom was good.  He'd apparently enter
         a building and stay there.  They'd lose him eventually.  Now
         thanks to Unali we know likely why.  He must've used a mini
         flying thing to escape."

           There is some information on the close mine.  There was some
         missing info but what can be gleamed is that Baron Ka was indeed
         selling the mine to Nom even though he had a offer by another
         noble house.  But it seems based on angry notes that Nom backed
         out at the last moment without explanation.

           "We have a lead though.  Baron Ka hired Walkers to track Nom
         Amor a week ago.  This time he walked all the way to the river
         and got on a ferry.  The Pathwalkers then trailed him and it
         lead to a small house on the river about 3 miles outside the
         city margins.  The trackers gave many notes." He holds up one
         parchment. "On the location and description.  The problem is
         I don't know if Nom wanted to be tracked or he simply couldn't
         use his flying toy that day.  But I suspect we might want to
         visit this place."

           Unali pulls out the small thin tube from Nom Amor.  The tube
         is a about 6 inches but only about a silver coin wide.  A
         very thin rolled up script could only be inside.  Unali had
         spent time inspecting it with Kell to ensure it had no Vong
         bug or such nonsense.  But after careful treatment it is opened.
         Inside a small parchment is inside. Laying it on the table it
         unfolds to about 2 feet by 2 feet after it is unfolded.

           The problem is this is the first sign of Vong letters as the
         text doesn't seem to be understood by anyone and the party knows
         many languages.  It could be straight Vong or coded Vong the party
         has no clue.  Aside from scattered text around the edges the bulk
         of the scroll seems to be a diagram of some kind.

           The diagram is unclear its markings and blotches.  It takes
         some time of study to understand it could be one of three
         things.  A diagram of some Vong thing like a monster or
         creature.  It could be a rough map without texturing.  It could
         also be a Vong symbol or even a flag of some sort.

           After some time arguing the general consensus is likely a
         map.  The markings seem to indicate land in general.  The only
         major clue is a rough line that oddly looks like the local
         river as it winds through the mountains and plains.  Overlaying
         the local Katai map there are some points that compare like
         edges of the hills and mountains.  But there is no indication
         of scale or clear markings of what it means.  it seems to
         only indicate the general mountains west of Pamau province.
         Of course the group thanks to Shu already knew the Vong were
         likely encamped somewhere in the mountains but not an extra
         area.  Shu's indication is an area 100 square miles in diameter
         so would be a long time tracking.

           "This doesn't help much."  Farseeker taps the map.

           "So let's recap here.  We know Baron Ka worked with Nom Amor.
         Likely the Vong through Nom setup this Peace Brigade work force
         to do their daily activities.  Mainly that of shipping their
         goods and people around.  The Brigade likely gives them a duped
         army to do their dirty work.  Apparently Baron Ka suspected
         trouble and investigated Nom to some degree, failed a few times,
         but then got something we are missing in this pile of papers."
         He taps the scrolls.  "Nom must've found out and the talk today
         was the end of their relationship or a shake down.  When we
         showed up seems Nom did not appreciate that and acted fast.
         He tried to take out Ka and the evidence.  But when we got
         there he didn't have time to finish the job."

           "But why did he act that way so fast?  You said he peeked
         out into the hallway and saw one of you.  Did this mean he
         knew or suspected who you were?" Caladan asks.

           "We may not know that.  But it is likely clear by now Nom
         knows of their loss of the Baroness and their force at the
         fair grounds."  Zhou stops and considers that.  "I doubt he
         would send more Vong there to investigate.  I ...could be wrong.
         I never thought of that till now.  Likely he would not as it
         would draw too much attention."

           Zhou continues, "so the Brigade shipped things around and in
         the process needed materials and places.  So Baron Ka was
         likely duped into buying warehouses, coffins and shipping freight
         companies.  We have some slight evidence on that here.  Then
         based on our encounter the Vong now have grown their masker
         creature things.  So if they can walk in the open now disguised
         as humans they no longer need the warehouses.  This must be
         why they destroyed the one locally.  Personally I'd not have
         done anything as it just brings attention but the Vong must
         not understand that."

           "The problem is we don't know who was behind the square stuff."
         Farseeker comments while munching on a piece of fruit.

           "I doubt we'll know for some time.  But I think we have a lead
         to follow up on.  We still need to know where their stronghold
         is.  If Nom's shack has some clues and it still exists assuming
         it hasn't been destroyed by now then we should get there tomorrow."
         Zhou considers the time looking out the dirty windows. "It would
         be dark if we left now.  So we'll have to do it first light.
         I suggest we go over these documents again and see if there
         is something we missed.  Then call it a night."

         [Time: 6:22pm]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: If only I was an artist I'd draw the Nom Scroll.  But
             alas I'm not.  If I were to even attempt to draw it the
             thing would take me likely 3.5 months to do.  I barely
             have skill to put a circle on a computer screen.

         GM: Good enough place to end this update for now.  A short but
             lengthy in detail update.  I hope I covered everything that
             I had planned (though 90% of the above was not :)).  I'm
             waiting for something behind the scenes to be done then
             we can move on.