[pnpgm] Quick reply

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Sun Mar 7 04:47:43 CET 2010

    Now that's how to get posts. :)  Attack, kill! :)

    Ok.  A quick reply post.

    * Whitney/Kiet - In over a decade we've not had serious arguments.
      In fact it only goes to the first adventure where Greg Reid aka
      Bertram did not agree with me the GM not the players.  He was
      paranoid of the players a bit though.  That interaraction of him
      and me back and forth led him to separate from the party and slow
      the game down a full summer (the whole season).  It was not fun.
      Finally he died mysteriously (all I'll say).  I'm not one to moderate
      or Ref fights.  I've been doing PBEMs and emails and suc before email
      as a household word even existed.  I saw enough fighting on the
      BBS networks in the '90s.  It boils down to mis-reading 95% of the
      time.  I personally saw Kiet's comments as joking AND a warning.
      Joking at first then a warning.  Whitney is not aware of the Vong
      high threshold of magic (high resistance).  He wasn't at the HE's
      briefing.  Though he was given a brief cursory overview on the
      ship.  Zhou WOULD have mentioned it, if in minor passing, at least
      once but not likely again.  So we could assume Whitney could be
      slightly aware of the Vong high resistance to direct spells (like
      paralysis/lightning).  On one hand he'd be aware.  But on the other
      hand Thomas may not or have forgoten or it might have slipped my
      own duties to inform him.  Either way slips in the cracks of info.
      So I saw it as kiet warning Whitney about a major backlash to the
      spells not to his ability as a wizard or player.  Am I wrong Kiet?
      Whitney I personally would hate to see you leave.  I've never lost
      a player in a decade just to quit other than Greg but he was frankly
      a case I didn't care at the end.  You have been worthy and active of
      staying.  So I hope you change your mind.  Let me know.

    * Raban - Location on map - All the player is on the map in the (#)
      label "Current wagon location" or I30 coordinate.  Everyone is
      in that square area which is 200 feet by 200 feet.  So plenty of
      room for all to fit in.  Once things need to go to a more precise
      combat map I'll shrink the scale down.  You'd be on a horse with
      the wagon at the end of the update.

    *  Kell - Magic on horse - I'm a bit lenient on it.  Of course if
       players can do it then bad guys can as well.  My feeling is the
       can't move and cast magic is more a concentration thing.  Most
       can't say juggle, talk and move so you lose concentration.  So
       if you stay put then you can gesture better and organize your
       thoughts better.  I feel some spells should be 2 handed while
       others 1 handed (no time now to list them all and it would depend
       ont ehe spell - for example a grand spell to affect a wide area
       like Crop Protection might be 2 handed.  But a simple spell to
       light a candle might only need 1.)  So it depends on the spell.
       Assuming one hand you can still hold the reign with the other.
       Of course it depends on horsemanship skill as well.  If you have
       horsemanship EL0 and your riding a RH4 and cast a fireball then
       you might have major penalty.  But if you have EL4 and ride a
       RH2 then you can control the horse well.  OF course if the horse
       is standing still then both hands can be used.  So the factors
       in this decision are 1) Horsemanship skill 2) how many hands
       3) type of spell (obviously a ceremony spell would be impossible
       on a horse) 4) concentration.  Now as to what penalty might
       apply those are in my brain and only a Alpha 1 Clearance is allowed
       to view those things.  You can apply with the proper papers to
       the Soul Daiva clerk for that clearance though.

    * Those going after the flyer - Those who heard the noise hav ea bit
      keen sense on this.  But logic would seem to indicate a object
      as bit as it likely would not last long on the roof.  It'd simply
      crash in.  So logic must indicate it came from behind the stable
      or inside it.  (Free Int rolls there).

    * Mark - Another pbem? Cool!  - Will I join?  Will the Vong slaughter
      the party?  Oh wait bad analogy.  Does a bear go in the woods?

    * Reminder - All targets in present and future battles are randomized.
      This would be a d13 I believe now.  If the target might be one to
      kill horses then it would double to like a d30.  If the enemy is
      one to kill everything in sight it'd include the wagon for a d31
      or such.  Of course smarter enemies like wizards might want to
      prioritize targets.  But basic grunts will do random selection.  So
      if you get hurt its not personal. :)

    * Wagon safe inside?  Well it might be.  Of course with the splatter
      of fire plasma near Whitney and the smoldering wood it might not
      be for long. :)  Whitney if you remain the wood near you is smoldering
      if you got that picture in the update.  I may not have described it
      well enough.  Its not a blaze but its more like explsovie shrapnel
      hitting the wagon.

    * Double posts - Since there was a bit of one liner conversation (fine
      by me).  I've decided to put those in one post as a "thread" for
      the website.  Just helps in placing files on the website.  So now
      links might say "Posts from X and Y."

    * Time of events - I'm not sure how many phases you guys should plan
      for but at this point the object is about 80-90 seconds to the
      center of the group (ie the wagon).  You can estimate it goes about
      30 feet per second or if you do the math about 20 mph.  While its
      not a super F18 fighter zipping past its still pretty fast.  So
      based on that 90 seconds that's about 30 phases of actions that
      could in theory be planned for.  But some actions may prevent
      others.  But if you want to plan that far ahead that's fine with
      me though movement and prep work will take some time.

    * Firing distance: I will assume all missile file will be done at
      max range (30 hexes usually) unless stated otherwise.

    * Frmea - you say fly toward the barn then stop and fire on the object.
      Is there a aprticular distance or way?  Do you move toward the
      barn and IF it gets within range stop and hover, fire?  Just
      want to clarify that. I will assume move toward Barn if in range
      or attacked close range then react/fire.

    * Range of spells: Since some spells may need accurate timing I
      will use my own assumptions unless stated otherwise.  For example
      Whitney's paralysis.  I will assume won't cast until say its within
      X range.  It will do no good to have the spell run out before it
      gets there.  These assumptions are basic but I could be mean
      and go with the open statement but I'm nice. :)  Though I do
      hold the right to abuse that in the future. :)   Give GM an
      opening and he'll have fun.

    That's it for now.  I'm off noon Sunday and Monday.  Short days.
    I decided to take a break this week (being the boss is always good).
    So I will be home sooner both days.  I may start update sooner on
    Monday in afternoon before evening in case thsoe who like to post
    late. :)