[pnpgm] Game Update #47 - File #427 - Tiehul's wagon is inspected

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Thu Oct 29 07:28:51 CET 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #47 in sequence (file #427)

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar probably would liked to have stuck the big guy in the
          belly with a dagger, but that's fine...
        GM: Ack. You could have still.  One stab probably would've upset
            him.  Then him and his friends might not have made a nice
            day of things.  So for now figured caution.  Your plan
            did work to distract the guards somewhat.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Looking at Caladan, "I will be.  I took several cuts, the....
          ----------
          Ha'Kell checks with Z'leyra before starting the tale.....

          [edited for time and space, unless anyone really, really wants
          me to type it all up in Kell's voice.]

          After he is more stable, Ha'Kell offers to help in whatever way
          he can.  Kell does a detailed inspection of the wagon Tiehul
          offered, comparing notes with anyone else that inspects it.
        GM: Ack.

        Posts from Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          When Tiehul mentions the existence of libraries Arawn's...
          When Kell returns with the others Arawn will move to his side
          when he catches sight of the wounded half-elf. He'll tend to
          his wounds (or assist in the duties with Z'leyra if she does so
          as well and Healer (Human) is more effective when healing a half-
          elf than Healer (Elf) as it will help him to develop his Healer
          skill in regards to helping Humans). Question, as Ha'Kell is a
          half-elf, which Healer skill would benefit him the most, Human
          or Elf? Or would both be equally beneficial?

          Arawn will tend to the half-elf as well, wondering if half-elves
          are more elvish or human in physiology. If the latter he'll use
          his own    Healer skills but will gladly and appreciatively
          learn techniques from Z'leyra on how to tend to humans as the
          time may come when he might be called to use such skills.

          If anyone mentions what happened at the guard station Arawn
          will speak up.

          "I'm not sure if there might be repurcussions but perhaps....
        GM: Ack  To which would be more effective.  Would depend on his
            genetics.  If 51% human than human or vice versa.  The only
            way to tell that might be to dissect him.  See how his insides
            are arranged and compare.  Want to do that? :)

        Post from Z'leyra: [Re: Action]
          When Z'leyra sees the wounds she offers to use her healing
          skills. If accepted she will slowly go thru each step: cleaning,
          evaluating, medicating and bandaging telling each of those
          interested enough to stick around and watch how and why each
          step is done and what it does. Using this as an opportunity to
          give party members a chance to learn a bit of healing. If we
          have the time and a comfortable place (bed or couch in the inn)
          she will also give a healing massage.
        GM: Ack.

        From Kell: [Re: Action]
          Ha'Kell gladly accepts the healing, and tries his best to pay
          attention, finding it hard since he's the one that is cut up and
          has a bloody head. He watches Z'Leyra with great fascination as
          she works on his right arm, the one that took the most damage.

          Kell is never opposed to a massage, healing or otherwise.  Kell
          also thanks Z'Leyra for the healing, and anyone else that helps
          with his healing.  He hopes he can return the favor, or some
          other favor in the future.

          He'll talk more about the encounter whenever necessary so all
          have a clear understanding of the details and potential
          ramifications on the mission.  Although there should be little,
          and even the boy seeing him without a hat shouldn't matter.  He
          has passed as a full human most of his life.

        [Julis 7th, 1634TH]
        [Location: Jiuquo, Katai]
        [Weather: Partly Cloudy, Temperatures: 65-85]

        [Time: 1:49pm]
        [Location: Brass Mug Tavern]

          When Tiehul mentions the existence of libraries Arawn's interest
        is piqued but he realizes, unfortunately, that any excursion into
        the city increases the chance that he might be detected. Though
        Tiehul's ability is likely rare odds are that other sensors float
        around the place and libraries might be a prime place to set
        sensors near as knowledge tends to draw those gifted in the arts.
        Wishing that their mission wasn't so important that it required
        him to restrain his penchant for risk taking, he sighed. As Zhou
        and Tiehul began to speak he asked the party,

          "If anyone plans on heading out into the city please let me
        know. I'm interested in searching for information in the libraries
        but I think it too great a risk to the mission for me to risk
        travelling about any more than is necessary so would appreciate
        anyone that could do so for me."

          Tiehul raises a hand at Arawn. "No.  The library is way too
        dangerous.  Your right there is great risk.  Above the door
        alone is a sensor that is active.  Hidden inside are more.
        The library is a source for great knowledge for heretics.  The
        government knows this and some still fall for it and get caught.
        The private libraries some nobles might have would be less
        of a risk.  But that's entering their estates."

                                ----------------

        [Time: 2:12pm]

          When the four from the jail enter the tavern, some look grim.
        Z'leyra and Will look grim while Ben'dar looks annoyed and
        frustrated.  Chion just looks normal with no sign of emotion.

          Z'leyra explains the events at the jail in great detail leaving
        no detail unspoken.

          as Z'leyra speaks Zhou clearly looks nervous.  Tiehul also sighs
        at the explanation.

          "So instead of a bounty you paid them?" Zhou puts emphasis on
        the word paid.  He shakes his head and glares at Ben'dar. "You
        risked our mission our lives for some ...some silly hope it
        would make them not do paperwork?"  He pauses and sighs. "Yes
        it worked in some way.  But now we have attention from this
        Major and if he thinks on it more could look for us.  At least
        you didn't say where the ship is.  But he does your names and
        descriptions.  But with Chion's introduction he knows the noble
        is here in the city.  Not good if they want to look for us.  We'll
        have to stay low until the morning."

          Arawn lets Zhou finish then speaks up. "I'm not sure if there
        might be repercussions but perhaps someone should keep an eye out
        on the ship. The constables might not know we are here just yet
        but they are certain to know of the ship and could keep them
        docked and start asking questions that could lead them to us and
        complicate our stay."

          Zhou shakes his head. "The Captain doesn't know where we are just
        that we are somewhere in the city.  I've asked him to remain
        just in case we need water transport depending on where we go
        from here if the ones we seek aren't here."

          Tiehul sighs, "this great mission you speak of must be a dandy
        one.  To risk exposure by a foolish event inside a city jail.
        If your mission is exposure and to overthrow the government
        so far it is working well.  But tomorrow hopefully I'll not
        see the rest of you.  I'll send one of my men with one of yours
        to watch the ship.  They can warn of trouble."

                                ----------------

        [Time: 2:25pm]

          Tiehul returns from talking privately to one of his men outside.
        He goes to the stairs and climbs.  He sees Raban outside the door
        and asks him to let Shu know she can perform her task when he
        gives the signal.  He enters the first room which is the barkeep's
        home.  He approaches the window and views outside.  Below there
        are two men and a small perch of some kind.  Almost two minutes
        pass when a small bird lands on the perch.  One of the men grabs
        a note from his leg and reads it as the other cages the bird.  A
        minute later a second bird comes.  The note and caging is repeated.
        The man reading the notes looks up and nods.  Tiehul who has been
        counting mentally leaves the room to the hallway.  He continues
        to count in his head until he knows he has one minute.  At that
        point he nods to Raban who murmurs the okay through her door.

          Tiehul then rejoins the others downstairs.  He explains to those
        curious. "We use messenger birds.  It is quite common and popular
        here.  An entire industry exists for it.  We can time the distractions
        down to roughly a minute with these birds and then coordinate the
        tasks needed.  Based on my talk with Shu the distraction had to be
        double since her task seems powerful.  It has worked in the past.
        I've posted sentries on each side of the street to warn us of any
        trouble that might approach just in case."

          Zhou nods solemnly.  "Her task will take some time.  Then she
        has to rest so we can't disturb her for some time."

                                ----------------

        [Time: 2:54pm]

          Upon arriving at the tavern, Caladan reminds Kell of his
        concussion and not to sleep.  This time the trader is able to
        walk inside without help.

          Looking at Caladan, "I will be.  I took several cuts, the worst
        on my arm, then the head hit.  I'm happy I didn't pass out coming
        back here. Thank you."  Kell waves to Caladan as he enters the
        Tavern ignoring the man at the door whittling wood.

          Kell enters the tavern and looks around.  He sees several of
        the party already there and seated.  Others are gone somewhere
        else.  Still holding his arm he sees Z'leyra and heads to her.

          Zhou who was in a quiet discussion with Unali suddenly sees
        Kell and stands.  he rushes over and examines the arm wound.
        "What happened?"  Kell glances over and shows a calming hand
        to calm the noble down.  "Yes...of course get treated first
        then fill us in." Zhou finally says and then returns to his
        table.

          Z'leyra rushes into the small stable to get her satchel.  She
        quickly returns with her medical supplies.  She notices Arawn
        nearby also examining the half-elf's wounds.

          Z'leyra examines the wounds carefully.  She finds the head
        wound which is now just a big bruise is minor.  The two cuts
        tot he shoulder/chest are light but not so serious.  The most
        serious wound is his sword arm.  She lays the arm onto a table.

          When Tiehul comes inside the room from going into the basement
        to fetch some food he notices Kell.  "Hey!  Don't get blood
        all over my table."  He shakes his head and then heads to
        the bar.  He mutters and grumbles to himself. "More trouble
        than this is worth..."

          Z'leyra hears Tiehul and raises an eyebrow to Kell for such
        concern.  She uses the torn tunic from Kell's attackers as
        table coverage.  Kell had torn the thug's tunic to use to
        wrap the arm.  Grabbing his arm, Kell flinches and grits his
        teeth at the pain.  It has been constant since his ride here
        as the tissue damage was severe.  She is shocked at the tissue
        damage and reports he is lucky to be alive.  Her final evaluation
        is that he is over 75% wounded.  A minor cut or even wrong
        move by his arm could still kill him.

          Z'leyra then begins to clean the arm wound with water, rags,
        and her healing herbs.  Kell is happy to accept some whiskey
        brew to relieve his pain.  Within a few minutes he is quite
        pain free for now.  She applies her healing skills showing
        Arawn and any others nearby her treatment.  The most delicate
        work is to the arm ensuring the muscle doesn't separate from
        the bone itself.  It is already partially separated but too
        much pressure can further complicate things.  Not wanting to
        cast healing magic she knows it will take some time for that
        arm to heal.  If Kell had arrived earlier the magic might've
        been cast with no concern.  Such a low level magic rite would
        likely not have been detected compared to Shu's ritual.

          Arawn helps Z'leyra with the treatment and cleaning.  Both
        healers have a quick discussion on the differences between the
        two races.  They aren't sure which might be more effective a pure
        human or elf treatment.  Both consult each other on some points.
        Arawn helps to secure the arm as it is a two person job.  Arawn
        wonders how the differences are inside.  He has heard rumors that
        heart placement may be off a tad.  But he would have to open up
        the half-elf to check.  Some other organs might be smaller or
        larger.  He knows the ears are obvious.  But eyes are likely
        different as Elves have better vision.  For the Half Elf Kell
        likely has better visual reception.  Arawn also suspects his
        hearing may be different.  Arawn also suspects the muscle tone
        of Elves are lighter frame wise so they can walk quietly in
        the forests invisible.  So Arawn suspects Kell's body mass
        muscle wise is less than most humans.  When he views the arm
        this seems to be confirmed slightly.  But only seeing it
        partially is guesswork.

          Kell accepts Arawn's help gladly.  He knows as Alfar that gives
        him a noble like role to their relationship.  As Raban seems to
        give deference to the druid, so must Kell likely give the same
        to Arawn.  Though he wonders if his human side favors that.
        It is a conflict he'll have to think long and hard on.  How
        much true loyalty should he give Arawn to be his "superior" in
        the pecking order of the Sidh.

          Z'leyra mixes her healing herbs and finishes up her treatment.
        The other wounds are light and easy to treat.  Finally she
        begins to bandage up the arm taking delicate care.  Too much
        pressure will hurt but too less will prevent proper healing.
        she wraps the arm solidly around and around.  She advises that
        he should sleep on his back not side.  If he is unlucky to
        roll onto his wound he could very well die if the muscle
        separates further and the shock is too much.

          "Maybe we should keep an eye on him to ensure that doesn't help.
        It is a pity a simple magic spell would wipe that threat away."
        Farseeker sighs.  He wonders if such magic is feared to be used
        here what about when and if they meet the Vong?

          Z'leyra cleans up and puts her materials back into her satchel.
        With a minor shoulder bandage and a heavy arm bandage Kell finishes
        off his small whiskey tankard.  He smiles at the miracle drink.
        Just moments ago he was in agony with his arm and head.  Now he
        feels quite wonderful.

          With a slight buzz, Kell decides to eat some warm bread in
        hopes it takes some of the booze away from his bloodstream.
        He leans back in his chair and scans the room.  He notices
        Ben'dar is quiet and scowling for some reason.  But that isn't
        too unusual for the barbarian.

          Ha'Kell looks at Zhou and includes anyone that wants to listen
        he begins, "Kiet and I were walking through the market looking for
        a good shop to sell the nicer jewelry.  Whilst a market stall is
        good for most of our items, these pieces were too nice for a stall
        in the market.  We found a nice shop after a bit and...."

          "....I picked up the coin bag and narrowly avoided taking another
        hit to my head as the boy kicked the ladder completely from the
        building. Staggering back to the thug, who was still unconscious,
        I wrapped my arm to stop the bleeding and retrieved my tulwar.
        Making my way back to the stall I got some interesting looks.  It
        felt like an eighteen mile walk to get there."  He waits for any
        of the market crew to add anything at this point in the story.
        Taking a deep breath and drinking some water.

          Grinning happily Ha'Kell finishes the story, "I got our money.
        I don't like being stolen from, not one bit."

          Kell notices Zhou's hand grasp his plate.  He notices the
        noble's knuckles are turning white.  It doesn't take an empathic
        connection to know Zhou is upset.

          Zhou frowns, "You let the kid see your..." He glances to Tiehul
        who seems more annoyed than interested. "Your face?"  Those
        in the party know he means his ears and closer facial inspection.
        Kell nods quietly.  "Yes you were knocked out but that could
        be a bad deal.  If he gets that rumor going the city guards will
        be looking for such.  Sure who would believe a kid but if
        there is just one guard who believes the rumor."

          Caladan munching on some grapes looks at Zhou. "There was blood
        left there too.  If someone wants to find him they can track
        him using that.  Hair I'm sure as well.  Descriptions.  He
        had no choice but to run.  If we worry about what all can
        happen we'll never get anywhere."

          Zhou glances at Caladan and then back at Kell. "Fine.  We'll
        have to post sentries.  Now I'm considering all of us return to
        the ship.  I'll have to consider this more."

          Turning serious Kell speaks more, "Now I need a new tunic, and
        I think it best to pack away my cloak and get a different hat.  I
        should probably sleep on the ship too.  I don't want any extra
        attention here.  It is possible the other thug or the boy could
        report anything?  My biggest question is the unconscious thug I
        left laying.  Did he die or did his friends come get him?  Did the
        police find a dead body and do some investigation that would lead
        them to me?  I don't know.  We may want to try to find these
        things out, especially if we stay here for more than a day."

          Tiehul replies to Kell, "We can get a tunic for you.  The
        hat would be more a problem.  It would take time shopping and
        then the head size and all."

          Zhou nods, "Yes.  You should go to the ship.  That way if they
        do on some slim chance track you then it won't endanger us."

          Farseeker slams down his own mug. "Your concern is warm.
        You are indeed the noble who loves his people."  Zhou glares
        at the warrior. "Is this how you will treat us all?"

          Zhou lowers his voice a bit. "The mission is more critical
        to this group, this land the world than any one person in
        this group.  If one endangers the mission we must deal with it.
        We already have one.." He glares at Ben'dar. "Who got the
        attention of the guards." Then glances back at Farseeker. "So
        yes my concern is to him and us."

          Tiehul sighs, "I will also check into this to see what was
        found out.  This day gets better and better."

          Taking a deep breath and feeling hungry and thirsty Kell asks
        Master Tiehul, "Master Tiehul, do you have any cheese or
        sausages?  I'm famished.  Or a local specialty, it's been several
        years since I've eaten Katai food and I could use some now."  Kell
        thanks Tiehul for whatever he can provide to eat and drink.

          Tiehul nods, "I can arrange for some.  We have cheese now.  But
        for more stuff I'll get the barkeep on it."

          Looking at the party, "How are things here?  Has Shu had time to
        perform?  Do we have any new information?"

          Looking at the four who had the pirates, "How was turning in the
        pirates?  Was there a bounty?"  Noting Ben'dar's smile and Z'Leyra
        looking a bit sour makes the half-elf more curious.

          Z'leyra quickly recaps the situation with the pirates to those
        who just arrived.  Kiet almost spits his own drink out when he
        hears the end.  He grins and brings the mug to his lips.  He
        shakes his head at the warning he gave on the pirates.

          Z'leyra offers a healing massage to Kell later upstairs in
        one of the rooms.  Kell perks up and raises an eyebrow.  Massage?
        Then he wonders didn't Raban mention something like he gives
        those things?  He wonders if the man would do it.  That might
        be awkward.  Z'leyra seems to notice his eyes and says she will
        give it.  Kell blows out a breath of relief.  Then perks up
        again.  Massages in some parlors are quite entertaining.  He
        recalls hearing sailors speak of such places with such services.
        A grin comes to his face at these thoughts.  Then Z'leyra glances
        to Arawn to invite him to watch.  Kell recoils at this and
        his grin fades.  Arawn watch?  That wouldn't do.  Then he sighs
        at the thought it must be a clinical massage.

          Farseeker rubs his backside. "I hurt my rear on the horse
        riding over here.  I'm next on that massage right?"  He
        grins and looks at Z'leyra.  Z'leyra just ignores him and
        wraps up the bloody tunic.

                                ----------------

        [Time: 3:10pm]

          It turns out the wagon Tiehul suggested the party use was no
        more then a cargo open flatbed wagon.  When the inspection
        first is made it becomes clear it will be of little use.  When
        Zhou reiterates his request Tiehul then realizes after some
        investigation the wagon was at another site.  After 45 minutes
        it finally arrives into the back area of the tavern.  The horse
        team is disbanded and sent away.

          Now the wagon that stands unhitched looks to be a passenger
        style covered wagon of the style used by nobility.  Zhou
        determines it will be perfect.

          With only a brief glance Zhou approves of the wagon and then
        goes back into the tavern.  Tiehul's men escort those in the
        party who wish to view it further out to the wagon.  Of those
        Ben'dar, Farseeker, Fremea, Kell, Kiet, Whitney and Raban are
        the main ones that take an in depth look at the great wagon.

          The two men who show the wagon in the open back yard tell the
        group to inspect all they want.  To see if they can find any
        unique features.

          The stagecoach is 8 foot 9 inches tall.  It is around 7 foot
        2 inches wide and 15 feet long.

          The smugglers and teamsters begin to inspect the wagon inch
        by inch.

          Raban climbs up on top and inspects the roof an the lantern
        holders.  The left side looks fine but when he gets on the
        right side he notices a small seam in the painted red wood.
        He follows it with the sun to his back and finds the groove
        forms a faint seam to the end of the coach.  He follows it
        and notices the rear is loose with a metal screw.  Suspecting
        something he unscrews the screw and then twists the peg
        square block object at the rear roof left section.  He then
        notice it reveals a square hole.  He peers into the hole which
        runs the entire roof length about 6 feet.  He notices a faint
        cloth lining the outside edge that muffled his initial tapping
        inspection for hollow points.

          "We can store swords, staves and other thin items in that
        compartment.  There is one on each side of the wagon.  Most
        thin swords can fit.  We can do about 3 regular swords or
        two thick staffs in each compartment.  the hole is wide enough
        to tore them side by side.  If something smaller like arrows
        we could store a few hundred of those."  One of the men says.

          Raban climbs back down from the wagon.  The whole is long
        enough for two sword lengths and wide enough for maybe 2 or
        3 side by side.  Double that for each side.

          Fremea and Kiet inspect the interior of the wagon.  It
        is big enough to hold 3 adult humans side by side on each
        riding couch.  One couch faces rear in the front and one
        faces front in the rear.  There is a couple feet separating
        each couch.  The two doors on each side are simple wooden
        doors that could probably protect from arrows for a short
        duration but not stronger weapons.  There is a front window
        slit in the forward wall of the coach inside just below where
        the driver sits.  Likely to see just feet and terrain coming
        at you it allows for some viewing but is only about 4 inches
        high and runs half the forward wall above where human heads
        would be on the couch.  The glass looks sturdy but its good
        to have glass there to avoid the smells.  On each side left
        and right of the wagon are open window areas beside each door.
        They have a single curtain that can be used to block view from
        outside or drawn back.  The four windows that are beside each
        door also have pull down wooden slabs that can be pulled down
        from the roof once unhooked to cover up the window from rain
        itself but it would make the coach stuffy.  The window on
        the doors itself is a thin piece of glass with a piece of
        curtain cloth that can only be pulled up to view out the door.
        The doors have simple latches but no locks.  The couches are
        black cheap leather but well cushioned.  There is no window
        on the back wall but there are on the very edges a small port
        hole like hole the size of a orange that can be looked out to
        see what is out back.  They have thin glass on them as well.
        But since they are up against the left and right side walls
        on the rear wall it takes some effort to look out.

          Inside alone the walls are cloth like pockets that might hold
        a thin book or few scrolls for keeping.  Below the couch is a
        wooden piece from the bottom of the couch to the floor about
        a foot.  Kiet bangs on them as one would inspect to find hollow
        points.  Indeed the forward couch is hollow.  In fact there
        are doorknob like hinges places one on each side of the wooden
        piece.  Using one piece he pulls and the wooden place comes
        free to reveal a hidden section.  He sighs and wonders why
        it would be that obvious.

          "It is used for inspection of the forward axle section.  Allows
        one to do some repairs."  One of the men says.  But Kiet
        is skeptical.  he has driven wagons before.  This type of
        setup isn't typical.  He inspects the hidden section and
        finds nothing else.  When he closes it up the man comes up
        and then reopens it.  He crawls a bit in and yanks two pieces
        of a strut below the couch.  When he does a hidden compartment
        falls down with roped supports.  Kiet smiles and realizes the
        compartment could hold minor items but nothing too large.  It
        could hold amulets or such small items but nothing big like
        clunky armor or saddles.  The man shows Kiet how it reattaches
        upwards and then sets the hidden section back.

          Fremea finds the place quite good.  It will be good for her
        to hide and even in the seat at this height would look like
        a possible adult.  But she doesn't find anything hidden not
        for lack of trying but lack of skill.  Kiet also looks in
        the rear section but doesn't find anything.  Then the man
        comes in and smiles.  The man tells Kiet to have Fremea sit
        in the center of the couch.  Then he tells Kiet to pull down
        the right rear window cover down.  It reveals a small button
        that dots the entire roof actually as if to make seams and
        decoration even to likely hide screws.  He then pulls the
        left side window cover down to reveal another button that
        looks like the others but about a thimble size.  He tells
        Kiet to twist it slightly as he does the same.  when he does
        this a click is heard under Fremea.  When Kiet and Fremea
        look down they notice the wooden section that didn't sound
        hollow is jutted out.  Using fingers on each side the man
        and Kiet pulls the wooden section out to reveal a very large
        compartment.  It goes back at least 3 or 4 feet and is as wide
        as the wagon itself.  Two of Fremea size people could easily
        fit inside or two Ben'dar's with some effort.  This area which
        Kiet couldn't find could store a great deal of material from
        a few suits of plate armor to many weapons.  The man explains
        it can only be opened and found with the sequence shown.  Only
        if someone sits on the couch as well.  The wooden cover is
        pushed back in and the springs click and lock it in place with
        no seam showing.

          Whitney clearly the best smuggler skill wise knows he
        typical places inside.  But many also plant places under
        the wagon so he crawls between the wheels and inspects the
        bottom area.  The wheel sections reveal nothing.  He finds
        the square box area that is used by drivers to store the
        tiny wheel tools and opens it.  No secret compartments there.
        He crawls to the rear of the wagon behind the rear wheels and
        inspects the boot section.  Here the rear section comes low
        to the ground where the coachman can stand or sit carefully.
        Here is also the smaller storage section in the rear.  He
        passes the rear axle and inspects the roof, or the bottom of
        the wagon really, for places.  The inside riding area it about
        3.5 feet off the ground.  The rear section though hangs down
        lower another 1.5 feet giving only about 2 feet from the ground
        to the back of the wagon itself.  Whitney finds nothing in
        the bottom area of the riding cage.  But as he inspects the
        rear section he finds some hollow areas.  He knows most
        guards would not inspect this area unless they are desperate.
        As he investigates he finds two compartments on the left and
        right side of the section that hangs down to the ground.  The
        compartments actually slight left or right depending on side.
        They face toward the forward part of the wagon but is a false
        compartment to the rear storage area.  Each compartment is
        small about 2 foot wide and half foot tall.  One of the
        men nods at the find.

          "Small items only.  We typically place gold in it so if we
        do get robbed on the road they don't take what we really have.
        Most companies still carry iron boxes and hire fool guards.
        This is safer and more efficient."  The man explains to Whitney.

          Meanwhile Kell inspects the rear of the wagon.  Here is a
        curved section used for some luggage though most of it is
        tied up on the roof area.  Pulled up it could sit two humans
        die by side but isn't used for that.  Kell inspects the inside
        to find no compartments.  He inspects the bottom overhang which
        is a simple footledge but finds nothing.  He sees that one
        person could ride in the back and use the small ropes to
        hang on for dear life as a cheap seat.  But the person couldn't
        sleep due to the dust and danger.  The men call it the
        barbarian seat as most barbarians can't afford the good seats.
        They explain sometimes a guard will stand on the thin seat
        and use the ropes on the roof to hang on. Kell finally goes
        to the front and inspects that section.  There are two lanterns
        that can be lit for night travel but likely don't get much
        range even with the mirror funnels.  The poor driver has no
        shelter and would have to sit on a bench that is only 6 inches
        wide and thin.  Kell inspects the area for hidden areas but
        finds none.

          Farseeker inspects the wagon from the outside inspecting it
        not for smuggling but for defense.  "This thing can't travel
        that fast even with six horses.  We would still be limited
        on some speed.  In a melee fight the wagon is easy to get
        inside.  The front and back clearly could defend against even
        strong arrows.  But the sides would be a problem.  Archers
        could fire from the front but not the rear.  Its too dangerous.
        They could fire from the windows inside but limited on angles."

          Ben'dar also inspects the wagon but on a mental level to figure
        out what kind of horses would be involved.  Unlike Kiet, Kell
        and Raban who have teamster type skills he doesn't.   After
        talking to the men its clear six horses are needed.  Four
        would be ok if there was much less weight and on level ground.
        But on average six is good.  Some nobles use eight horses to
        flaunt the wagon but eight is overkill the men say.  One
        man explains to Ben'dar the horse setup.

          "The first two to hook up to the tongue." He points to a center
        metal rod that runs forward of the wagon. "They are called the
        wheelers.  The left is the near and the right is the off wheeler.
        Going forward the next two pairs are the swing horses who are
        typically middleweights.  The next pair are the lead horses.
        All steer through pole straps connected to the tongue and breast
        of the horses.  The driver then uses six lead straps to control
        the horses - three in each hand.  A skill that takes a long
        time to learn.  The wheelers are the muscled, heavier brutes
        of the horse team.  They need the strength and power to control
        the tongue on turns with their mass.  The swing pair are middle
        weights who have to have good control and balance.  The lead
        pair make the decisions and lead the hitch.  Because of this
        they have to have confidence and courage.  They are the ones to
        enter rivers first and lead the others with their courage.  They
        have to be high spirited sensitive to the driver since they
        are the farthest away from him and grit in their body."

          Ben'dar listens to the man talk of the horses which are now
        gone and wonders which of the party's horses will be in the
        team if this wagon is used.  He wonders if Tef'wo would be
        ridden or used?  Would he be a Wheeler or a Lead horse?  Those
        things he will have to think on and let Zhou know.

          When the group seems to be done with the inspection they seem
        satisfied that two areas weren't found.  The men stand with
        arms folded and smile.  When the group is done they reveal two
        more areas not found.

          One man goes to the forward rod - the tongue and reveals the
        metal rod itself has a hollow section.  He uses a dagger to
        pry apart a section at the bottom of the rod that would only
        be seen if looked from below.  The section pulls down and drops
        to the ground and runs the length of the rod about 5 feet.

          "It is too thin for most things but documents that are important
        can be hidden here.  No one would order the horses unleashed to
        just look here its too much effort when you might have a few wagons
        and angry crowds behind you." The man then closes up the compartment
        and shows them how it is done.

          Another man goes to the forward left wheel.  He inspects the
        rim of the wheel itself and then finds what he needs.  He takes
        a very thin knife out and pries a small shallow hole in the
        wheel rim itself not the spokes or centerpoint.  This hole is
        the one that would hit the ground and circle on the rim of
        the wheel and not the side of the rim itself.  He indicates the
        small hole. "We hide gems in here.  A few at least.  The two
        forward wheels have one area each.  It could probably fit five
        or six large rubies or a few dozen small diamonds.  Again it
        is to protect from prying eyes.  Some nobles don't like to be
        robbed.  But we smuggle certain stones across provinces that
        nobles seem to want more than other stones.  It might be useful
        but doesn't hold a treasure chest of them."  He closes the
        wooden hollow piece and hammers it back into place.  Raban
        finds the area especially interesting as that is something he
        should have found but didn't think to look at the wheels.

          Whitney and the group talk briefly over the wagon to figure
        out if it will do for their needs.  Most suspect the places
        to find would be hard but only with long through searches.
        It all depends on the inspectors though being a noble wagon
        the odds of that happening are slim.

          All in all the wagon can carry six inside or maybe eight if
        cramped.  One can ride or stand in the back.  The driver up
        front might be lucky to have one other person by him but
        it would be hard riding.  So the wagon can transport 7-11 people.

        [Time: 3:22pm]

          Soon the inspecting group comes back into the tavern.  They
        find Zhou and Tiehul finishing over haggling over the price
        of the wagon rental.  It is clear it is a vital asset to
        Tiehul to have and if Zhou needs it then it will cost him some
        coins.  When the group comes back inside, Zhou looks to them.

          "So is the wagon sufficient for our use?" he asks the group.

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: Website can't access now so can't update.  I've emailed the
            ISP but problem is the ISP contact # is invalid now.  I've
            tried to obtain a new one at no avail.  Its not a major issue
            now but if suddenly I can't get online and usernames have
            changed (which has happened in the last 15 years with this
            ISP) then will have a major problem.  I know the owner and
            could be having some medical issues so will give it some time.

        GM: Small update but consider this the Friday update.  Let
            me know who goes to the ship one last time.  At this point
            I have Kell going.  If not stated I will assume by Monday
            that all stay at the tavern.  Also will assume no special
            late afternoon/evening activities unless stated.  If such
            things can be done quickly they will be.  If not it might
            have to be drawn out.  If no activities then the next update
            will go to the morning assuming no raids by swarms of
            gargoyles or giants or city guards.  Tiehul will then
            report next week his findings.  Then we'll figure out where
            to go from there. If there are any further comments or
            questions to Tiehul do so by Monday.

        GM: Happy Halloween to all in the USA!  Old timers to the list
            will notice no jokes.  Usually for halloween I insert into
            the updates halloween jokes.  Well the Dwarves are under
            a new contract the stupid union demanded.  I won the right
            not to bore you with such jokes.  But they did win the right
            to do 2 jokes.  So bear with me as I fulfill such contract,
            at least they aren't halloween related!

            Q: How much does a pirate pay for earrings?