[pnpgm] Game Update #42 - File #407 - LAndfall in Jinquo

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Fri Oct 9 07:07:54 CEST 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #42 in sequence (file #407)

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          When Arawn and Will arrive back safely, Kell warmly welcomes
          them and is happy they are safe. "Any fun on the trip?" he asks
          with a smile.
          -----------------------

          His grey cloak with the brown edge blowing in the gentle....
        GM: Ack.  How much do you pay for this rented booth? :)

        From Whitney: [Re: Actions]
          OOC: sorry, been getting my daughter in campus housing the
          last couple days. heading back out tomorrow so she can abuse
          my credit card at the bookstore. do what you need to with
          whitney if I don't respond timely this week.

          OOC: again, not sure why anyone would have Whitney's description
          locally. Wasn't he "arrested" by villagers 1000 or more miles
          north in a different country?

          Whitney blinks at Zhou,smiles wryly, & shakes his head,"I'll be..

          OOC: Hadn't really thought about it. Wouldn't have been
          appropriate for an itinerant herb seller, nor would it have
          survived the arrest.  If absolutely necessary to keep up with
          the party, a mule and small  cart wouldn't be in appropriate, I
          suppose, and might come in handy.
        GM: Ack. No problem on any delays. As to description its a remote
            chance yes.  Very slim.  But if Uli had gotten word back
            on your description to others.  Only need a quick ship or
            horse to spread the news.  Especially for a "crazy magic
            user." But again slim chance.  Will use real name then
            for cover alias and add that to above header.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Kell mentions to Zhou and the group, "Kiet is very valuable...
          Later that evening Kell talks with Kiet and Strie'bog and

        [Julis 4th, 1634TH]

          When Arawn and Will arrive back safely, Kell warmly welcomes them
        and is happy they are safe. "Any fun on the trip?" He asks with a
        smile.

          Later that evening around dinner, Zhou makes his mission team
        suggestions to the party.

          Kell mentions to Zhou and the group, "Kiet is very valuable in a
        market, but doesn't it make far more sense to have your servant
        with you? Unless you're sending him as a trusted servant to take
        care of some official business in the market or to serve as your
        eyes and ears."

          Zhou nods, "I had considered that but no one will question it.
        Our roles is only if we as a group are questioned.  But we should
        have equal numbers in case of problems.  He can be on some duty
        to get my underwear washed only from a clean well or something."

          Later that evening Kell talks with Kiet and Strie'bog and Caladan.
        He starts, "My suggestion is we rent a booth in the largest or most
        varied market in the city, then sell from the booth. We'll obtain
        better prices.  Another option is sale through consignment, but that
        usually gives less money and can be a bit, well, dicey.  It does
        give us a lot more time to investigate the city and see what we can
        see."

          "I say we find the best market, rent a booth, and setup our
        wares.  We may have to just find a mostly empty booth and rent it
        from the owner since we're new here.  Work side by side with the
        owner.  Then we may make a friend and contact as well."  Pausing to
        listen to input from the others, Kell adjusts his longer hair.
        Sighing over it, wondering how do you handle his newly grown hair.

          Caladan replies, "Well I've heard stories from the sailors.
        Katai markets are known for...their control issues.  Merchants
        tend to favor the best spots.  So vendors may have to buy in
        or rent alley stalls while others have street booths.  Then there
        is the gang controlled small markets that take cuts from the items
        sold.  So I think maybe selling them without a booth might work
        best.  But I'm not a merchant so don't know such things.  I
        will follow your lead.  I'm just telling what I've heard."

          Kell continues, "Whilst here I'm planning to scout as well;
        listening for rumors, tales of the outlandish, anything that may
        connect to the Vong or our mission. This includes contacts into
        the black markets here.  They're here, I just don't know how
        thriving they are."

          Caladan nods, "the sailors mention the black market as well.  It
        is wide and in all the cities.  Sometimes in plain sight in
        the market streets other times in hidden back alley rooms.  But
        you ask the wrong question and you might end up dead.  Just
        depends on how you ask it I guess."

                                -------------

        [Julis 5th, 1634TH]

          Zhou approaches Whitney on his mission role.

          Whitney blinks at Zhou, smiles wryly, and shakes his head, "I'll
        be fine, Zhou. Pretending to be something you aren't is a sure
        way to be caught. I'll be....me."

          Zhou nods and looks at Whitney for several long moments.  "That
        is fine.  I know we started off rough.  But in the past few weeks
        I've seen your value and your true self.  This is not going to be
        an easy mission we are on.  You have decided to join us so I will
        accept that as your word you won't leak our mission or flee.  You
        are free to do so but in the land of honor word is as valuable as
        gold.  IN the Lands it the same thing."  He says it in a tone not
        to be aggressive but as an almost apology while a cautionary
        warning.

          Zhou then raises a hand out to shake the herb collector.  He
        waits for Whitney to react but continues speaking after a few
        seconds. "The High Elder will be grateful for any who serve in
        this mission.  Even strangers who fell into our hands mid-way
        through it."  He pauses briefly.  "I think as my personal tailor
        and herbalist will do nicely."  He grins.

                                -------------

        [Julis 6th, 1634TH]

          Around dinner this night Zhou goes over the history of Katai
        again so the party will be familiar with it.  He goes over the
        last 1,000 years in a short time not to bore some like Ben'dar
        who seem to only perk up at the dynasty war parts.

          Zhou ends the final meeting with some final comments. "We must
        remember the caste system in Katai.  It is a strict system of
        control set by the high nobility.  It keeps folks in line and
        gives them purpose.  I'm sure many don't like it and would prefer
        to work out of their station but simply can not.  Some in the
        middle levels like merchants might be able to buy higher station
        and get out of their caste work but the majority of the population,
        the peasants do not.  It is imperative we do act in public
        according to our station.  Arawn as teacher you will be over the
        peasants but not much beyond that.  Ben'dar, Farseeker, Caladan
        will be just above the peasants but as foreigners and non military
        you will be limited in your station.  The local guards will be
        higher and just about anyone else.  If a guard issues a order
        to you will need to do it.  Kell, Kiet, Raban, Strie'bog
        will be above our guards but about in the middle of society
        More skilled than the average peasant.  Healers are an elite
        caste as there are the small town healers who are on the same
        level of peasants but above them in some ways.  In the city
        the rich and middle classes use them.  They have a higher station
        than merchants for example so deferred with respect.  So Z'leyra
        will be just slightly below low level nobles."
        .
          "As Baron of House Dzhamou I of course will have station over
        anyone but another noble.  Though any low noble like a knight,
        I will have some say.  Respect and deference will also be given
        to Shu, Unali and Fremea.  But as females they will have to
        all defer to me.  Sadly, Katai is a male oriented country.
        Children of noble station even have power over some low station
        folks like merchants, guards and especially peasants.  But do
        not over stretch that." He raises his mug of ale frowning at
        the sight of no crystal knowing crystal can break easy on a
        ship.  "A toast to our mission.  May we seek the Vong out and
        end their threat to this world.  May we as a group survive
        in a hostile land where just one of us could bring death to
        us all if found out.  May the gods help us as even they
        have a stake on our mission."

                                -------------

        [Julis 7th, 1634TH]

        [Time:  7:49am]

          The party prepares their gear, check inventory and load up
        their horses.

        [Time: 10:07am]

          Nearing the port the party gather up on deck watching the
        distant shoreline grow larger by the minute.

          His grey cloak with the brown edge blowing in the gentle breeze,
        Kell gazes out. He is lucky that his ears are only slightly more
        pointed than a normal human's ears, not usually enough to draw any
        attention. But for the mission it is better safe than sorry. Having
        long hair is a bit odd for the trader, this being his first time.
        He has to ask those with longer hair for help as he wants to look
        his best. Smiling, handsome merchants do far better than grumpy,
        frumpy merchants. He adjusts the cloak again, considering packing
        it away and sticking with the regular clothes and his hat. Kell
        leaves it on for now though, liking it's grey and brown.

          As the party is loading gear and preparing, Ha'Kell offers his
        pack horse to carry any other gear people need carried so their
        horses aren't overburdened. "I usually use him to carry camping
        and trade merchandise. I have very little to trade right now so
        please feel free to load him with your items. I'll take good care
        of it for you. While in the market I'll also ask around about the
        wagon for Fremea and gear, and see if we can find one suitable for
        a noble. Possibly another for the non-nobles among us, if we think
        two wagons are necessary."

          Zhou looks to Kell, "I suspect Tiehul will help in the wagon
        area.  But I doubt we'll need two unless we need to unburden
        some horses."

        [Time: 10:58am]

          Captain Sung says the ship would've been in port earlier but
        with the anchor at sea days ago when Arawn and Will up north
        the schedule was delayed slightly.

          As the shoreline grows the morning fog on the sea seems to
        shrink and begin to evaporate.  As the ship nears the land is
        flat and devoid of trees like the great Choshai forests.  But
        here the plains only have light woods if that.  Captain Sung
        reports the city of Jinquo is between two rivers.  Both
        rivers are within 20 miles or so.  One river goes north into
        the hills and mountains.  One according to the charts goes west
        over the plains and into the hills.  Captain Sung also reports
        that Katai is highly modern in their roads.  So many people
        use them on average the road system is quite well maintained.
        Jinquo has road west and north.  Jinquo's sister city Li'jian
        is only about 22 miles north up the coast from them.  So both
        cities trade and deal with each other on a daily basis.

          As the Blue Moon moves further west the number of ships increase
        by the minute.  The talisman isn't active but even still the ship
        has to move slow with light sails and forward observers to ensure
        no problems.  Fishing ships, merchant ships and many civilian
        ships are seen of all shapes and sizes.  All going north or
        south along the coast but few deep ocean craft it seems going on
        a deep ocean cruise.

          Since the city of Dzhamou the party has gotten used to the
        various ships of Katai.  The junk style long boats the average
        family or clan uses.  The large box merchant rowing or sailing
        ships.  The flat sail craft used for pleasure.  After a while
        it becomes too much to count the varying styles and types of
        craftsmanship.  The junk style ships are the ones that seem to
        be mostly on the rivers or shores.  These long narrow boats
        have many sails but low on space.  Maybe carrying two dozen or
        so people on board.  Some small sleeker versions are used for
        personal transportation as ferry or taxi style vehicles.

          Captain Sung reports that Jinquo province is said to have 15
        warships just for it.  Many are likely on the river itself
        but at least a 3rd have to be patrolling the shoreline.  Indeed
        as the ship moves and weaves between dozens that become hundreds
        of ships in crowded waters a warship is finally seen.

          It almost looks like a Choshai warship but with more lean looking
        sails.  Rowing slots also allow for rowing operations.  Ben'dar
        notices on this warship there are ship weapons like ballista and
        arrow emplacements.  Just a year or so ago he had tried to learn
        more and more of such devices.  This warship seems to be moving
        around the crowded waters looking bored but vigilant for problems.

          All about flags and shouts are occasionally seen as ships
        communicate their intent to others.  About one mile from shore
        Captain Sung heads the ship to a area where there are some 40-50
        other ships clumped and anchored.  "We will need to get a pilot
        to show us in.  It may take awhile due to limited dock space."

          As the Blue Moon anchors besides some merchant ships a small
        rowed warship circles the area.  Soon a small oared barge comes
        near the Blue Moon.  On the barge is a group of about 10 who
        issue flag and verbal commands.  Soon their captain boards the
        Blue Moon.  Sung and Zhou meets with the Pilot and negotiate
        a dock assignment.  After Zhou flashes his fake but highly
        crafted Dzhaou documents and family crest ring the Pilot soon
        becomes quite accommodating.  He checks his scrolls for the day
        and issues Captain Sung orders and an assignment.

          Soon the Blue Moon is on their way yet again.  This time sent
        to a more quiet noble dock space.  The ship moves past 1 dock
        with at least 4 other warships in berth.  A clear military district
        with a barracks on the shore rather than warehouses.  With
        directions the Pilot gave for the Class A port of Jinquo the
        Blue Moon passes three series of business docks full of merchant
        ships in the numbers of 3 dozen to 6 dozen to one side of the
        dock alone.  Warehouses line those shores.  Then the ship passes
        a fishing district with at least 30 fishing boats docked up some
        carrying off catches from the early morning.  Other fishing
        ships loading up private tours or supplies.

          Finally after about 2 miles the Blue Moon rounds a bend and
        finds the noble docks.  These are in the south east section of
        the city.  In these quieter docks only about 12 ships of medium
        to large ships are here.  Clearly private vessels not like the
        merchant class of the Blue Moon.  On at least 4 of the yachts
        people are seen moving about.  But the others are empty.  On
        the shore are some small buildings that may be warehouses but
        doesn't look like it.  From the docks the dockmaster waves flags
        for a berth assignment and the ship slowly makes its slot next
        to a yacht half the size of the Blue Moon.  For these docks only
        two rows are here of two separate docks but ships line both sides
        of the docks with plenty of room.

          Soon a guard and two men approach as the sailors throw ropes to
        other Blue Moon sailors on the docks to tie the ship up.  One
        of the men is the dockmaster and the other an aide.  It seems the
        Katai guard dressed in Imperial uniform looks bored but stands
        quiet nearby.  Captain Sung negotiates the fees and then introduces
        Zhou to the dockmaster.  The aide takes all personal information
        and writes it down.  Zhou again shows his documents and the
        dockmaster who has clearly seen many nobles doesn't go as crazy
        as the Pilot did.  Zhou pays the rental fee for the docking berth
        for today.  After some time the dockmaster and other two men leave
        to head back to their small building.

        [Time: 11:46am]

          Finally docked in the second Katai city of Jinquo the party
        are eager to get to shore.  After almost 3 months of travel the
        party is eager to stretch their legs.  Slowly one by one the
        horses are led by each owner off the ship and onto the docks
        and lead to shore.  The aide mentions there is a small stable
        for such things if the horses need temporary storage.  But
        Zhou mentioned that may not be needed now.

          As Chion leads his horse he blows out a breath.  "Jinquo, alas
        we meet again."

          Several glance to Chion.  Caladan raises an eyebrow.  "I
        know you've been to Katai but to this city?  That will be
        useful for our tasks."

          Fremea in her nice dress stomps down the docks without a horse.
        She knows she could ride with her bodyguard Raban but the horse
        looks like it could break just with him on it alone.  So Zhou
        suggests she ride with her mother.  Fremea mounts with Unali
        and Unali has to shift some gear around but both fit fine.

          Soon the three prisoners are bought up and into the daylight.
        As they squint and look around their faces become pale not from
        days in the brig but from knowing their fate.  With bound hands
        they are all tied up together as one and then a single guide
        rope is tied to Tef'wo.  When the guard that came to the ship
        sees this he heads into the building and gets the dockmaster.
        Soon a private discussion is held inside the building with
        Captain Sung and Baron Zhou.  Eventually they exit and  Zhou
        looks happy. "They will not cause a problem for us." He
        reports to the party.

          Once all the ship is empty, Captain Sung and the First Mate
        look at Zhou. "We will stay here until you need us to leave."
        He glances at the party and briefly more at Kiet. "We will hold
        the crew off shore leave as you need it.  But let me know
        something so we can give them hope."

          Zhou nods, "right.  We will send word back.  I'm sure we will
        see each other again.  But just in case.  On behalf of my boss,
        the party and myself thank you for a fine trip and crew. " He
        shakes Captain's Sung's hand then frowns when he realizes this
        might not be normal for a Baron.  He glances around but no one
        seems to be looking.

          Zhou looks at the team heading the prisoners.  "The guard tells
        me the nearest jail is only four blocks from here."  He then
        gives some directions.  "If there is some...problem then you will
        need to find me.  You know where we are heading to the Brass Mug
        tavern on the north side of town.  Good luck.  For those going
        to the market." He turns to Kell. "I'm told the best market to
        sell goods for good prices is about 10 blocks away."  He then
        gives directions.  "We have the furthest to go virtually to cross
        the entire city to get to our destination.  Good luck to each
        of you and act as I've tried to outline on the ship.  Don't
        do anything to bring attention to yourself."

          As the teams head to the dirt road, Zhou does final saddle
        checks and lets the others leave.  He then mounts up and
        leads the "noble" group away from the docks.

        [Time: 12:14am]

          Leaving the noble docks is like leaving a quiet wooden area
        into the hustle and bustle of a forest village.  In the noble
        area there are maybe 50 people total.  But within seconds of
        rounding a street the number of people picks up exponentially
        as each street goes on.

          Ben'dar, Chion, Will and Z'leyra have to ride slow to give the
        walking prisoners time to move.  As the pirates are dragged
        they know their fates are sealed and do not make a noise even
        being ungagged.  As the small team moves down the street a wide
        channel is formed as citizens give them distance.  Many stares
        are done not at the four foreigners but the men tied up behind
        Tef'wo.  Chion being the more native to the land leads the
        small team.  He leads the group for some time down many
        cobblestone streets past large noble houses of two stories
        and many shops.  The area is clean and not as crowded for
        a land like Katai one might suspect.  After about 20 minutes
        and asking for more directions the small group rounds a corner
        and spots a small white building that probably is the jail.
        Arriving up front the sign clearly notes it as a jail.  It
        is two stories and about 50 feet wide.  Not as fancy in building
        style as others but more military oriented stark and spartan.
        As the team dismounts three guards and one a man with more stripes
        on his arm showing higher rank walks out.   The Imperial Army
        guards look the party over with swords in sheaths.

          The Katai Major walks up to Chion who to him looks to be
        a native.  He glances to the others though as he speaks. "I am
        Major Xu Lai what have you bought us?"  He walks toward the
        prisoners to look them over waiting for a reply.

          Meanwhile using the directions given Caladan, Kell, Kiet and
        Strie'bog go to find the markets.  As they move about the
        streets become more and more crowded.  As the horses move through
        the streets they see that Zhou's warning was correct.  That only
        about 10% of the population might afford a horse.  When only
        about 20% of the population are educated and skilled the lower
        classes can't afford such luxuries.  The foreigners bring the
        eyes of the native population upon them.

          Finally after some time the trade group rounds a corner and
        spots the market.  For some time they could smell the market
        of roasted meat, fish and trash.  The sounds of the market could
        also be seen for some distance.  As they round the corner a wide
        boulevard at least 50 feet wide appears to be a main thoroughfare.
        From dozens on the city streets suddenly there are hundreds
        shoulder to shoulder bustling about the marketplace.  The stalls
        and booths stretch on for a mile at least down the boulevard.

          Strie'bog looks to the others and comments that the crowd is
        too thick for horses.  He suggests he stay with the horses and
        guard them as the other three head in with the treasure.

          Meanwhile the group going to the Brass Mug continues moving
        on through the side streets.  With Zhou in the lead he reminds
        the others, "ignore those you pass.  This is in standing with
        being a noble.  The guards can look at them but we nobles should
        not at very long lengths."

          As the group tromp through the streets on the horses they pass
        small groups of 3-4 into dozens.  The buildings are not that of
        Marentian architecture.  Unali is the only one used to the sites
        though the Dark Lands uses some similar designs so Zhou is also
        used to it.  But here the buildings are typically one or two stories
        of stone or brick.  Few actual wooden buildings are spotted unless
        they are smaller outhouses or shed style buildings.  The big
        difference in the roof which just about every building has some
        form of overhang jutting out over the sides as much as 2 feet
        but on average a foot.  Some wonder if its good for rains or just
        the style the Katai people like.  At each corner many roofs can
        have ornate decorations or juts that are squares, points or
        rolled up juts like circles.  Most roofs appear to be wood.  The
        roofs are also tall structures that have tower like formations.
        One central layer with the four corners jutting out.  A layer
        above it maybe half that size then it repeats and so on.  So
        it builds upwards like a pyramid or triangle.  It is estimated
        most can't be livable areas but there are implications that some
        might contain a small window.

          Most roads in Jinquo are cobble, dirt or stone paved though
        by far cobble is the most common form.  It is clear the rich
        empire spent and spends many coins on their roads likely to
        keep the workforce happy with jobs so they don't loiter about
        thinking of revolution.  Every so often there are also signs
        of modern sewer systems underground with drainage pipes and
        street drains setup.  There are also at least one or two large
        water collection towers on each block to collect water and then
        distribute it through a underground and above ground network
        of aqueduct and pipe systems.  Unali comments that most of the
        cities are like this though the richer neighborhoods have better
        services.

          As the party moves east and north through the streets the
        rich district bleeds into a business district of shops and
        manufacturing centers.  Large warehouses, storehouses, factory
        buildings for textiles and dozens of other industries all around.
        Here the people mill about in busy errands and seem to ignore
        the party all together compared to the previous rich district.
        It is clear the people here are the lower and middle classes.

          Soon the party passes a small cemetery and residential district
        full of blocks and blocks of homes.  This seems to go on for
        a couple miles it seems.  The homes here are all middle class
        it seems of 1-3 bedroom single story structures.  The lots are
        typical for most cities with front and small backyards.

          By now the team has been going for a half hour or so and only
        a handful of horses or wagons are seen.  By far most seem to
        walk or run through the streets.  the team examines the people
        and their clothing.  As Zhou had explained it seems the entire
        nation must have black hair or for elderly white hair.  Most
        are indeed short and slim builds.  The vast majority of people
        seen have no form of weapons.  The few guards seen seem to be
        the only ones with polearms and swords.  Most people wear tattered
        or thick browns, tans and black clothing made of cloth or leather.
        Many have on hats but not like the party but large hats that
        have wide brims that cover the shoulders not just the ears.
        Clearly they are made for field work in the sun it seems.

          Of the team Raban is the one that draws the most attention from
        those on the street.  For Fremea who isn't on his horse this is
        actually a good thing.  Attention away from her means less chance
        of spotting problems.  But the big problem is obvious and it sits
        on a horse that staggers under Raban's bulk.  Sitting on top of the
        horse the top of Raban's head is a good 14-15 feet off the ground
        making those standing 4-5 feet on the street seem to think
        a monster is riding toward them.  When they notice it to be a man
        they clearly give wide berth to Raban's horse.  Raban smiles and
        tries to seem cordial but clearly most cower at his presence.
        The few men that seem to not cower stare relentlessly at him to
        size him up.  After that these same men seem to scowl at the
        stupid barbarian among the well dressed others.  They then
        usually shrug thinking him a slave and move on.  Conversations
        and transactions stop completely as Raban and his friends pass
        by.  Women rush children away.

          Unali sits on her horse as Fremea sits behind looking around.
        She has been to the city only a couple times.  But it hasn't
        changed at all.  Just as busy and smelly as always.  She doesn't
        say much as she is clearly in deep thought of being home.

          While the others stare at the sights and people, Arawn studies
        the area for possible magic detectors.  He believed he saw one near
        the docks above a wooden gate.  A small gem like thing inset into
        the roof of the gate.  But it didn't seem to react or glow.  If
        it was real or not isn't know.  He studies the buildings and
        intersections for more but either they are well hidden or just
        missing he can't tell.  He wonders if this could be easier than
        the high Elder implied.

          Fremea sits on the horse riding and also stares at the people.
        She notices how women seem to walk behind the men at least 4-5
        paces.  She notices how the women seem to carry just about
        everything while men saunter around with nothing in their arms.
        In the industrial center she clearly spots street children who
        seem to be beggars or worse.   In the residential area the
        children seem happy but she wonders why they aren't in some form
        of school.  She tries to concentrate and not flex her back which
        would flex her wings.  She has been training this way for the
        last few weeks but it is still not natural for a faerry not to
        use her wings.  While uncomfortable it takes concentration to
        maintain it and in this warm temperature it is annoying.

          As the team enters another district that seems to be a market
        area full of shops the crowds build back up as in the industrial
        centers.  Shops of just about every shape, size and goods are
        here.  Most shops are 1-3 stories where it seems the family must
        live above their shops.  Typical shops abound but unlike Sivas
        some shops are here rather than in Sivas.  Tattoo shops for
        example was noticed by Will in his travel.  The shops soon
        empty out into a large square marketplace full of stalls and
        vendors selling open air goods like meats, foods, drinks and
        everything from apples to zuchi trees spouted to rid the
        homes of bad spirits.

          Soon the team pass through the markets and enter a less crowded
        area of homes and shops.  Asking directions they finally get
        to the brass mug down a quiet street with only a dozen or so
        people on it.  The Tavern itself is a two story structure with
        a overhang at least 2.5 feet out.  The roof seems to be decorated
        in the style of birds with small figures on each corner.  Above
        the main door is a wooden sign with a mug and the Katai words
        for Brass Mug.

          Zhou looks around and sees a small stable along the right side
        of the tavern.  Clearly for night customers.  "Whitney, see if
        you can stable the horses then join us." Zhou states and then
        tosses a few silver coins to him.  "If you think it would not
        be wise to leave the gear on the horses you can stay and I'll
        send someone out."  The team dismounts and a boy runs out of
        the stable and takes the horses.  The boy assures the team the
        horses will be safe and the stable has a locked door.

          Zhou enters the bar after Farseeker checks it for danger as
        a guard would have done.  Entering the tavern the team seems
        the place is dim even with light from the three forward windows.
        In the place are about 8 customers at the various tables with
        3 being alone drinking.  The team looks around and sees nothing
        special about the design.  In the back is a door to a possible
        office or storeroom.  Nearby on the rear wall is a set of stairs
        up to the second floor.  To the right is the bar and one barkeep
        who is cleaning the bar with a rag.  To the immediate left sitting
        alone leaning against the forward wall in a chair is a heavy
        muscled man that has to be the bouncer.  He has a dagger on his
        belt but its clear he may not need it.  He scowls at the party
        and examines each person with scrutiny.

          "May I help you?" The barkeep places his cloth on his shoulder
        and walks over to the side of the bar nearest the team.

          "Looking for the owner.  Is he in?" Zhou asks.

          "May I ask who is looking for him?" The Barkeep squints to eye
        the team but mostly keeps his eyes on Raban and the other guards.

          "We come from a long way.  Is he here?" Zhou asks.

          The Barkeep stares for a few moments at Zhou and then briefly
        at the customers and the bouncer.  Arawn, Farseeker and Raban
        can detect that meaning.  Watch these guys is the implication.
        The team wonders if this place is more a front than a legal tavern.

          "No.  He's not here.  But I'll send for him.  But I'll need
        a name."  The barkeep insists.

          "Baron Zhou Wa of Dzhamou.  Tell Mr Tiehul 'My Elder brings
        good wishes and misses the days of Farfella Falls.'" Zhou then
        turns and walks to a table.  "We'll wait for him."

          "He motions for the team to sit down and then urges them to
        order food or drink.  Raban pulls out his chair but the tiny
        chair is made for smaller behinds.  He places two chairs together
        and then sits down waiting.

          The barkeep heads through a back door near the bar itself and
        likely into the stable.  Whitney is just now walking the horses
        into stalls and notices the barkeep.  Whitney figures him to
        be such from his apron and rag.  The man whispers to the boy
        and the boy goes running out.  Whitney frowns and the barkeep
        returns inside.

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: Website update - People and Adventure Timeline updated.

        GM: For purposes of mechanics consider all to have the knowledge
            of Katai's history in the history section.  Enough to at
            least recall it in some detail.  The stuff on the houses
            aren't known or public information.

        GM: For my memory so I don't have to keep checking:
            Unali, Arawn, Raban, Shu, Fremea,Whitney,Farseeker,Zhou-Tavern
            Ben'dar, Chion, Will, Z'leyra, Pirates          - Jail
            Caladan, Kell, Kiet and Strie'bog               - markets

        GM: As we move on now that the party is divided it will be hard
            to deal in all parts.  To coordinate the time and scenes
            effectively.  Until the party is back all together.  So
            some groups may be delayed in some updates while others
            are covered action wise.  This is a problem of PBEMs but
            in terms of speeding things up in other ways it helps.
            No update monday as I went out of town to Savannah tuesday
            for a day trip.  So had to go to bed early.