[pnpgm] Game Update #12 - File #140 - Ship Boredom ends

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri May 29 06:37:02 CEST 2009

  di
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  Do John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info:
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu as Guard/Archer
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa as Guard
     Fremea               as Noble child    [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan  as Trader
     Unali                as Zhou's wife

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #12 in sequence (file #140)

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          When camp is settled Arawn ask the party quietly if anyone...

          Kell responds as well, "I do not, but my master does.  Does...

        [Apris 15th, 1634TH]
        [Time: 6:52pm - After Citadel Meeting, in forest]

            While in the forest hours after the meeting with the High
        Elder, the party is relaxing after a catered dinner.  Kell
        gathers Kiet and Z'leyra together and have a small discussion.
        Kell outlines his plans for the ship journey including practice
        with skills and spells.  He asks both to be there to help in case
        things go bad.  Kiet agrees to even be a target for some spells
        on the ship.  Z'leyra agrees to help dispel his big spells in
        case things go wrong.

            Z'leyra explains that summoning is a very dangerous sport to
        play.  When an elemental pact is form there is a limited time
        before the creature may appear after summoned.  If the time lapses
        and the pact ends it could be dangerous.  At Kell's skill it is
        about a 50/50 chance of this danger.

            Kell goes to his chest of dirt he has gathered to bring on the
        ship and cast the first of several more Pact and Summoning rites.
        This night the spells are cast.  A pact is formed with the earth
        and Kell summons a Gnome.  But the seconds tick by.  Kell can't
        dispel the spell while the pact is active or the Gnome would
        attack right away.  So Z'leyra builds up mana.  Soon the Gnome
        arrives dazed and confused.  But the pact is broken.  As the
        Gnome steps off the chest of dirt, Z'leyra casts her banish spell
        and sends the Gnome back.  Kell gives a sigh of relief but knows
        this could happen often on the ship.  At least a Gnome could
        be dealt with.

            Fremea finds the summoning fascinating but Arawn frowns at it.
        To summon a Gnome, a long distant relative by fashion seems
        almost cruel.  To summon it and banish it.  Without asking
        it or helping it seems cruel.  The gods would see it as a slight
        to their minions.  it is one thing to summong for aid but for
        just sport like this?  Arawn crosses his arms and frowns.

        [Apris 16th, 1634TH]
        [Location: Dark Lands, Forest, Heading North East]

        [Time: 7:20pm - Second campsite near Novasa's Domain]

            Arawn asks if anyone knows Time Powers.

            Kell responds as well, "I do not, but my master does.  Does
        anyone know the spell Luck, and would they be willing to teach
        me?"

            Farseeker nods, "Z'leyra knows that fangled spell.  I think
        she even has some toy among a few hundred others...with that
        ability on it.  Course my luck," he taps his sheath, "is in the
        blade and skill not from the gods."

                        -------------------------

        [Apris 17th, 1634TH]
        [Location: Novassa's Shadow Domain Dark Lands, Forest, Heading NE]

        [Time: 12:10pm - Coastline Port]

            After the party speculate on the High Elder's motives and
        lack of rewards.

            Grinning Ha'Kell chimes in, "I'll send him a bill."

                        -------------------------

        [Apris 21st, 1634TH]
        [Location: Eastern Ocean, Heading S/SE]

            After Caladan and Unali have their private talk that goes
        into more public areas as they move on to dinner.

            Kell has been watching Unali and Caladan, and learning
        seamanship from Unali for days now.  She has been very helpful in
        teaching whilst definitely aloof.  His Miri on his shoulder, Kell
        feeds him a little tidbit of meat and pets his soft back.  "Unali,
        I'm not the most empathic person, but I have a feeling you're
        almost afraid.  Afraid of what I don't know.  If you need another
        head and set of ears and eyes I offer my services, such as they
        are."

            "My status as an outsider to the Dark Lands could be a boon.
        I have no known allegiances or ties to anyone there.  Think about
        it, and let me know anytime."

            "I have to apologize as well.  I've never introduced you to my
        little friend."  Grabbing the ferret-like creature from his
        shoulder, Kell holds him and pets him again.  Offers him to Unali
        and Caladan to hold and see, "Meet Squirt.  I call him Squirt
        because he can squirt into almost any place.  He is mischievous
        and fun, and also useful.  Kids love him."

            Caladan raises an eyebrow, "they do? With those red eyes?
        You'll have to meet my firesnake some day."

                        -------------------------

        [Ma 3rd, 1634TH]
        [Location: Eastern Ocean, Heading S/SE]
        [Weather: Patchy Clouds, Temperatures 70-80s as highs.]
        [Wind: Low speed]

            It is a normal day on the high seas.  Both riggings are up
        including the secondary lift-rigging.  The low winds are awful
        today as a warm front seems to have sunk in the area.  The ship
        is around 2.5 miles east of the Choshai deep forest.  The nearest
        fishing village is at least another day south and three days north.

            The crew is mostly awake and top deck.  Some are having a light
        meal of hard bread and rations.  Others are trying to get as much
        wind to go through the sails as they can.  The magic of the
        Friendly Current tailisman was invoked hours ago and can't be
        ended for another day.  It could be dispelled but then the magic
        of the item would cease and prevent the ship's overall speed and
        increase time at sea.

            Arawn and Fremea are below deck in their cabins.  Arawn in
        his cabin sleeping soundly.  Both Sidh try to sleep from about
        8am to 4pm or so.  The bright seas seem to be even more hurtful
        to the Sidh than the normal seas.  Fremea normally sleeps on
        deck but the warmer temperatures and noise makes it hard to sleep.
        So today has chosen a bunk used by the crew.

            The party has been taking turns with the horses, cleaning,
        feeding, taking them ashore when able to graze, combing down and
        less pleasing waste removal.  Today the one to be on this duty
        is Farseeker.  He is below deck in the hold sweating in the rather
        humid 85 degree hold.  While the ramp hatches are open to the
        sky it still rather warm.  The donkeys seem to have made a very
        particular waste today.  The push broom, the 3rd so far since
        the lasts were too bad off after so many days, is a mess with
        waste and hay.  He wipes his forehead and knows soon he'll go
        and eat a big lunch.  One good thing about this duty is it takes
        time and excercise so those who do it eat slightly better.  His
        great sword is on a shelf but his armor is below deck.

            Ben'dar is also in the hold with Farseeker but leaning against
        the wall looking at Farseeker toil.  His gear and weapons are
        in his cabin.  But he knows soon he'll help teach Kell more
        spear techniques.  Right now he is talking about Pasha and what
        he might have plans for her someday.

            Caladan is top deck with his staff leaning against a provision
        locker.  After a early lunch he has fallen asleep with the swaying
        of the ship.

            Chion is in the small eating area with others eating lunch
        in the mess on the Hold deck.

            Kell is inside his cabin placing Squirt down a nap besides
        his small bed.

            Kiet is doing some cleanup duties on the Hold deck helping
        another sailor patch a loose board.

            While Raban has to duck greatly to enter the below decks he
        can use the ramp or the stairs below deck with some ease.  He
        normally has to sleep top deck simply cause no bed or cabin for
        that matter suits his size.  Today he finds himself hunched
        down a bit near the crew berths talking to a sailor on how best
        to woo and dine females.

            Strie'bog is just exiting his cabin to head to the mess one
        deck.  He is heading toward the access ladders.

            Shu is on the top deck watching a rather cute sailor climb
        the rigging to tie down a rope.  She has found him rather cute.
        But her shyness prevents her from following up.

            Unali is on the passenger deck locking her private chest
        of gear with her key.  Just having placed some items in there
        she doesn't need for a few days.

            Will is also top deck helping a sailor with some of the
        spare ropes that have gotten entangled.  They wonder if Kiet has
        been doing magic on them.

            Z'leyra is below on the passenger deck cleaning up some of
        the used up ale containers.  Seeing which one needs to be dumped
        or reused.  A chore that many share in shifting duties.

            Zhou is below deck with Chion in the mess eating lunch with
        about 4 other sailors.

            Already the ship has been sailing for 17 days with few
        problems until today.  Having sailed about 540 miles the ship
        rounds a bend in the peninsula.  The north east, east and south
        is a thick haze created by steam and the varying forest, sea and
        air temperatures.  The ship is going fast at its normal 24 knots
        or so and the wind adds another knot or two.  That's about a good
        800 feet per second some calculate.  As the forest to the west
        zooms by the calm of the day is broken by a scream top deck.

            "Dragon!" a sailor forward of the forward rigging yells as
        loud as he could.  He had been storing spare spars in the locker
        there and notices the large movement ahead.

            Suddenly the ship is burst into chaos.  The crows nest is
        climbed to by a sailor on the rigging and he eyes the distance.
        Those on top deck turn and head forward.  Those below deck
        hear muffled yells and orders.  The captain runs forward and
        uses his spyglass.

            He lowers the spyglass almost immediately and gulps.  He
        raises it again.  The beast in the distance is indeed a sea
        dragon.  It has no wings but fins for speedy water travel.
        The dragon is black and gray mottled with a large head and
        fierce looking jaws.  The neck stands tall as a giant and
        it looks maybe 20-22 feet in length.  As the captain stares
        the beast turns toward the ship.

            "Turn us about!" The captain yells.  "We need to outrun it."

             As others join the forward observation they notice the
        Sea dragon is about 2 miles forward of the ship.  At that
        distance the ship would make that in about 15 seconds.  How
        fast can the dragon move?

             As the first mate turns the wheel the ship rocks suddenly
         to port.  Those below are thrown to that side of the ship
         and suddenly realize something is going on.

             Other sailors rush to the secondary rigging to prepare to
         lower it.  They know the dragon could tear it apart with one
         bite.  They may need a spare rigging to survive this.

             Caladan now awake stands up tall and looks behind the ship
         to see how far the bend is behind.  Maybe the ship can hide
         behind it.  But then he becomes pale as he notices another
         dark shape in the distance.  He rushes aft and directs the
         captain to the spot.

             "Damn!" The captain lowers his spyglass. "Another one
         coming behind us.  Tiamat has cursed us!" He turns to the
         others.  "There is another dragon behind us.  Head west!
         All crew and passengers to battle stations!"

             The second sea dragon seems to be swimming this way as well
         occasionally raising its head above water to get a new position
         and bearing on the ship.  This one is also about 2 miles to the
         rear of the ship.

             The first mate yells orders, "Close all hatches.  Close
         the stair hatches.  Tie down the rigging!  Close all lockers!
         All those who can't fight should go belowdecks!"

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: Well you guys were bored.  So here's is some fun!
            Kiet is the only one that has heard of Sea Dragons and
            their legend.  They are known in the Lemasan Coast Guard
            as dangerous beasts that sink ships.  The sailors also
            know of them since its a common myth for them. But
            the others in the party have no idea a dragon can exist
            in the water.  At least these can't seem to fly.  At this
            distance it is hard to figure out how tall they will be
            compared to the ship height.

        GM: I have rolled randomly where each person is as listed above.
            For armor if you commonly wear leather then you can have it
            already on.  but for things like Chain then it won't be.
            OF course chain on ship could be as deadly as the dragons.
            For gear and weapons.  Most gear will be in the cabins or
            your sleeping area.  So if you need say that shield or
            such you'll have to go get it taking time.  For weapons
            most won't simply have them.  Daggers are fine.  But for
            swords and such it isn't common for ships.  I did mention
            Ben'dar and Farseeker's weapons only cause they will be
            training soon.  For other weapons you'll likely have to
            run and get them.  Especially for stuff your not going to
            be practicing in.

        GM: For the new folks this will be your first combat.  I have
            a massive task this weekend to plan the movement charts and
            such.  I usually only do 2 phases of combat in one update.
            I suspect the amounts of post might only make that 1 though.
            So plan for no more than 2 phases.  Keep in mind if you talk
            that takes time.  By the time you speak long speeches the
            combat might be over.  This will also delay spell words.
            So plan wisely.  Its 2 sea dragons vs ship in the middle of
            the ocean with land-snacks for them.  If your unsure of
            what you might "have" on you then ask.  But use common sense
            most folks won't be carrying 100% of their gear 24/7 on
            the ship.

        GM: Now as you may recall the IBT time is mid journey.  This
            is actually around Ma 15th on.  So technically IBT has
            NOT begun.  This means no one has really started the
            seamanship work.  This might be a bit unfair so for those
            who don't know the skill at this point I will only do
            a slight penalty rather than the full one.  So keep this
            in mind.  Otherwise its a level playing field.

        GM: Keep in mind the deck plans.  If you want to take up
            a particular position let me know.  For those not skilled
            in seamanship I'd stay out of the rigging.  :)  The deck
            plans should have coordinates you can let me know if you want.
            Row and columns for coordinates.  I will use the map of
            the top deck for the combat only as reference to remind me
            where folks are (otherwise I'd go insane).   If you want
            to see where the ship is roughly (if my estimate is right)
            see the game site link section.  The white blob in the north
            east is where the ship is roughly in that hex.

        GM: Magic/Normal Items to leave info
            If not supplied will assume all items are taken.

            Arawn     - Need      Z'leyra   - Need
            Chion     - Have      Will      - Have

            Deadline: May 30, our time.
            Completed: 10  Need: 2

        GM: IBT actions - If none posted will assume no actions.
            [30 Days IBT time on ship]

            Kell      -   Done.
            Arawn     -   Need      Z'leyra   -   Need
            Will      -   Have      Chion     -  Have

            Deadline: May 30 our time.
            Completed: 9   Need: 2  Clarify/In progress: 3

        GM: I have Chion and Will's IBT.  I'm still pinning down some
            points.  I've done about 98% of Kell's.  So should work
            on Chion/Wills this weekend.  That leaves the other 2
            next week.