[pnpgm] Hullo out there...?

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Fri May 1 03:36:18 CEST 2009

  Raban sighs, "Kiet my friend, you are too trusting for this. The world
is a sad place full of intrigue and has quite a few who think rules do
not apply to them. Such simple hiding will work for a little while but
eventually there will be those who will demand to look further or who
will arrange spies to find out more. And a common bypass of your idea is
to use women to search the wagon, though most guards will not have
access to that method, some can. The most vulnerable time is not in the
wagon but outside it! Frema will have to leave it at times and that is
where spies will learn much. On the road or in towns, the risk is much
the same. The overly curious or those seeking information for
advancement will try to learn more. Then there are the perverse who
arrange to view baths or other private places. It will be our jobs to
make sure none of those can occur, and not just for Frema but for
anything we may have out of the ordinary. If anyone becomes suspicious
they will arrange a means to discover more. The key is to avoid such or
plan for it. Frema and I will be obvious targets of such spies. Me
because they will be curious just what kind of monster I may be or
whether some spell is involved. Frema because she is beautiful and
hiding so they wish to see more. But anyone can draw further attention
and it is best to keep to your role at all times. At first it will not
be much of a problem, but the risks will grow the longer we are there."
  "But there are many ways to deal with those problems. One is for the
wagon master or someone else to offer to sell them information or a
peek. The corrupt expect corruption and making the offer can be enough
to lower the risks. At the worst you arrange for them to see less than
they think they saw. In some cases you bribe them to go away, but you
must be very sure that is the right response or it leads to more
problems. At some point I may end up killing or hurting one of them
because they were where they should not be and you will need to pay some
fines or bribes as a result. The injury would need to fit the role and
how much they may have seen. But such an action is expected, its a risk
they take, at least for those who are involved in spying. With luck it
will not get that far because if it does we are under a lot of suspicion."
  "I do not know Katai, so perhaps I am being overly paranoid. But it is
best I speak up on what can occur so we can plan around it. Maybe the
usual guards will not be a problem at all, but those who hunt magic will
not give up so easily if they think we are suspicious... Do not get me
wrong, there are honest guards out there, but they tend to be far rarer
than most people think. Temptation to abuse those who cannot defend
themselves is too much for many people. But mostly it depends on who
leads them, if that person has higher morals then the guards will as
well as otherwise they are rapidly dismissed. So I would expect the
degree of corruption to vary wildly and in most cases a noble traveling
would be one they will not abuse directly."