[pnpgm] Hullo out there...?

Schnockel dasandersx at comcast.net
Fri May 1 02:31:57 CEST 2009

Kiet says, "I still think the best thing we can do for Fremea, if she so
chooses, is to simply put her in a curtained wagon or carriage...where she
could play the part of the Noble's daughter.  She could simply show her face
(I think painted for a future wedding?).  No guard would DARE search such a
vehicle or our noble could throw a hissy fit and make them fear for their
lives.  One of the other women could be her nurse?"

"This way Fremea's wings would be unconfined and she much more comfortable."

[When the fugitives were men they could get along on foot, but the frequency
with which women and children were found in escaping parties, and the need
of rapid transit the business of the Road increased, and pursuit became more
common, led to the use of covered wagons, closed carriages and deep-bedded
farm wagons for day service.  A few enterprising abolitionists of Ohio had
vehicles of special construction, though innocent in outward appearance, in
which a load of refugees could be taken on long journey with comparative
saftey.  ABRAM ALLEN, a Quaker of Oakland, Clinton County, Ohio had a large,
three-seated curtained wagon built about with drawers in such a way as to
leave a hiding place in the center.  As the bookbinder drove through the
country he found opportunity to help many fugitive on his way to Canada.
HORACE HOLT of Rutland, Meigs County, sold reeds to his neighbors in
southern Ohio.  He was the owner of a box-bed wagon with a lid that fasted
with a padlock.  In this he hauled his supply of reeds;  it was well
understood by a few that he also hauled fugitive slaves.] - historical note