[pnpgm] Game Update #12 - File #140 - Ship Boredom ends-OOCUnit conversion

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Tue Jun 2 00:21:22 CEST 2009

OOC:
Most info on the people in this group is unknown but I have determined
with what little I have seen that 2 dragons is likely a very minor
encounter.
The only real risk is to the ship as it could be hard to fix in route
even with magic.

Raban who is a barely above starting level character, has a fair chance
to take down a dragon by himself.
Unlike the equivalent level character in the other game, Romidar, who
thinks they are easy.
In Raban's case, many bow shots could do serious damage if he has time
for them.
Raban is a bow expert, his skill has more than 1 digit!
He has the basics of multiarrow, so gains multiple possible hits per shot
If he had a heavy bow it would be quite nasty!
His Hand to Hand skill is even higher
There are many others with skill at least that good in weapons.
The mages have spells at higher Els than the dragon does and boost
enough that they are not afraid to try magic on one
Likely they could more easily destroy the ship in one shot than the
dragons could

But in PnP that is no guarantee that someone wont get badly hurt or killed.

Lets put things in perspective, Raban is likely as strong as the Dragons
and he is not as strong as he could be.
Raban may have as many hit points as the Dragons but more likely 50-75%
OCV - DCV is comparable, since Raban has 2 digits in both
Without special attacks it could be a fair fight, so luck will dominate.
Unfortunately, Raban does not have his magic weapon to shift the odds
more his way.

Bows in PnP are nasty!
They tend to hit fairly well based mostly on range, so a few archers can
dish out some serious damage
Problem is Dragons armor versus normal bow WSB means you need serious
hits or better to do much
Raban's WSB+2 bow has little chance to pierce armor on a regular hit,
but will ALWAYS do damage on serious since it adds half skill
He will likely do more than 20 on deadly hits
With multiarrow his chance of getting those is not bad
at 300' he has about 16% chance of serious hits and 7% deadly
at 150' he has about 21% chance of serious hits and 11% deadly
at 70' he has about 27% chance of serious hits and 14% deadly
at 30' he has about 29% chance of serious hits and 15% deadly
So enough shots will do some damage considering it only takes 4 deadlies
to kill it, maybe less

OOPS this may depend on effects related to ship combat rules!!!
Looks like he looses 5% with Bow?
Worse in Hand to Hand?

But in any case it still shows the point, we have enough archers to do
serious damages if they do not reach us quickly.
We have enough mages that it could be over in a couple phases
We have enough skilled fighters that they can hurt it close up
Not having our magical gear is what shifts some things more in the
dragons favor

No the real issue is them diving and coming up under the ship to stave
in the hull and knock people into the water
Then we have problems!
Its much harder to fight in the water.
Transmute could patch the ship, if its done quickly enough, otherwise
its a major problem

I suppose Raban could grab one of the Dragons, rip a hole into its side
and keep going till its dead.
It is kind of hard to stop someone when they are that close in hard to
reach spots
Monsters need to be careful who they swallow too, always chew first! LOL
Just how long can someone hold their breath? ok found it only about 27
phases for Raban, should be long enough ;)
Wow he can still triple his swim skill, he may be getting some practice!

So its a little early to be worried...much... course these could be much
much worse than my guestimates, especially if they were sent.
Or maybe the mages will just take over their minds and hitch them up to
pull the ship ;)