[pnpgm] Game Update #109 - File #606 - Party heads down

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Fri Jan 30 11:20:20 CET 2009

<That is a problem with PnP treasures, the wide variations in price for
items. Thus value for share depends on where you could sell it. But is
the Armor really worth 7500? PnP Plate is expensive to start with
because it takes a long time to make, now consider that a mage is
supposed to make that himself. What is that time worth? Then its elven
making it rarer etc. So yup its damn expensive, so much so who could
afford it. And that is the problem, its unlikely you will find a buyer
on the world! Maybe extraplaner elvish royals could afford it? And
adventure all its own. I still think some rough value needs to be placed
on it and based on what it could be sold for if we tried. But that would
be much lower. Is that really fair? Someone could take it to resell
elsewhere for a huge profit. But thats true for everything if someone
wants to play merchant to that extreme. Other games assume you can get
25%-50% of sell price in a reasonable amount of time, so that is a fair
price in general. Cash is cash, magic is worth what it could sell for in
a short time. But without much effort the maximum value cannot be gotten
on much of the items and thus the armor is the major item. So for this
extreme case its very hard to be fair. I would let him have the item and
owe some reasonable amount for it, or use it til it could be sold. BUT
do not forget possession of the armor could cause major conflict with
elves or others for its extreme rarity. And a non elf wearing it could
have political problems. It could even be a cultural 'treasure' for even
more problems. So once more an Alfar seems the only one who should wear
it and trying to sell it could be a problem... A GM could turn that into
the next adventure if we are not careful. No matter how its handled it
can cause trouble which is why this effects play. Personally I always
thought plate cost way too much in the system. You can hire it made far
cheaper than it costs and Dwarf or Elf make should not be worth 40 or 60
times just like magic is not worth 100 times. You can hire a 20th level
mage to make plate cheaper than buying it normally and have enchanted?
So yes the elf plate is worth a few hundred but not many thousand gold
unless elves would need to be forced to make it or other difficulty and
then it would carry a stigmata for more troubles. But not my world so
cant say true economics and political pricing. I personally think items
should be valued based on time and material costs and mana is a material
for this. The mages time is worth so much and his mana is worth some
factor based on Mel in general and maybe more based on recovery time.
Heavy mana use could take a long time to get back. The other guides
(Mel+El)*something does this a little. Mel silver per mana could be
close? Maybe a bit more than that, needs some test items for
comparisons. Maybe someone will run some tests for approx item price
versus mana needed to make and see.>

<Sorry should not have wandered so far off course. In summary, if Armor
was not so super high value then its not such a big deal. Since most
magic I have seen priced in our current game were fairly low priced,
that seems more likely. Then the other game effects make the item worth
keeping in the party and used with Arawn owing some future cash for it
and not crippling amounts. BUT even if it is high priced it may make
little difference if no one can buy it since it is thus worthless! LOL
or was that priceless? Same effect. So the result is nearly the same
with all methods, its best if he keeps it but how much should he owe?
Thats what the vote will really determine as I see it.>

<So overall it becomes more important to determine what is a fair
price/value for items to use in the shares or it all falls apart. Fair
sell value should be what can be gotten in a reasonable time trying to
sell it. If its hard to sell then that value will drop. If someone wants
to purchase a hard to sell item for the discount and try to sell it
themselves that is fair for that reason. They are short cash for some
time as its tied up and thus they have less other equipment etc.
Eventually they will make a profit but was it worth the delay? Yes
player merchants can make a fortune but so do the ones actively spending
time doing other work instead of searching for a buyer. It may all
balance out anyway. And this valuation is determined inside the party in
actuality. The mages would have a rough idea on magic item values, other
people may know other items. For us the GM is doing that work since we
do not know his rules on pricing. But you get the idea. Its always a
gamble, you may end up selling for a loss when hoarding items and
suddenly needing cash. The next problem is those items you cant price
accurately. Art and rare books vary a lot, well many things do in PnP.
If the party guesses wrong and someone takes the item the gamble could
be quite a lot. This is another GM ruling on your skill identifying the
items and your previous history of such. If you do not know, someone
will be surprised. A shrewd buyer may rob you blind more than once
before you find out. Thats where those contacts come in handy, finding
more honest buyers. If people do not want to RP so much normally behind
the scenes things then should they get to do so for those other items?
Its a complex problem overall. Which to me means, if the share method is
too hard to figure then it may not be worth using in this system. Just
try to balance it out in play somehow.>

<Apologies for the long post, hope it helps? Maybe the GM will shoot me
instead....>

<Raban will go with where he is needed. If he ended up on the ground
then he will stay there to help out. Frema may not be able to teleport
with him and Raban knows that since there were issues with an expert
teleporter. So even though he would like to stay with her it may not be
doable.>