[pnpgm] Game Update #111 - File #632 - Fremea rejoins party

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Feb 10 08:54:41 CET 2009

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #111 in sequence (file #632)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          I forgot Raban claimed the fine wine to make more angelica
          potions. There are some bottles, are they small enough to be
          useful for that as well?

          Not mentioned is the Seker's Collar which Raban has a claim on
          Other than that Raban will donate his share to help pay for
          making him some armor or other items as others had mentioned
          This should be posted to RP sections in a bit

          It takes Raban some time to work out all the details but it seems
          to him some more outspoken people seem to be the greedy ones and
          not really in need of more money. So perhaps just giving what
          share he had to the group is not the best way. But meanwhile
          there were other things he needed to answer.

          Seeking out Unali, Raban says to her "Unali, I have given it
          much thought and you are right to a large extent. None of the
          ladies here needed much protection as they are all capable of
          defending themselves and more. Some, maybe all, could hurt me
          in a fight, though from what I have seen none could easily say
          they would win, not even yourself. But the odd magics you have
          make that a tough call and I could be far wrong.

          I do not like to hurt others but it far too easy for me to do
          so. I think it was possible for me to have killed any of the
          enemies we fought in a single blow even the metal man and that
          is not from much magical aid. But where I lacked is protection,
          I took more damage than any of the others, maybe more than a
          few combined. And a little Armor would have stopped much of
          that. I did not mind getting hurt as much of that was to
          prevent or minimize the damage to others. Even as well protected
          and as skilled as you are, or even the other ladies, you would
          not have wanted to be surrounded by so many opponents. In that I
          made a large difference and in a few other cases. So I feel I
          did do what I came for and even such formidable ladies as this
          group has can use some protection... But I could have done better
          than I did. And if I need to be in more battles like this one,
          then I will need to risk having better armor or weapons. I just
          hope I do not become the monster it makes me feel like to do
          that. So many see meas such a monster as it is, I would hate
          to prove them right..."

          "And I thank you for your concern about my safety, its an odd
          feeling having someone think they need to protect me. And I
          suppose if getting hurt is any indication, I needed some
          protection. Though I feel much of that was my Goddess reminding
          me of my failings, she also would prefer I do not fail in my
          duties. I assure you I can do far better than I have shown so
          far. I made a few poor decisions because I did not know what
          everyone could do or where they needed the help. Now I have a
          little better idea of that. But if your opponent gets lucky,
          then only the armor makes the biggest difference. I took many
          small wounds that could have been avoided, and that is something
          that can be fixed by better armor. I think I need to speak with
          Z'leyra about that. Thank you for helping teach me that not all
          women are helpless but like anyone else they may still need
          protecting. I think I will do better protecting some of the
          men too at need. Working with so many people requires broader
          thinking than I usually allow myself. And that may be why my
          Goddess guided me here, to broaden my views and learn something
          new. From now on I will be protecting friends and maybe they
          will do the same for me when needed."

          Eventually Raban gets a chance to talk with Z'leyra.
          "Z'leyra, it has taken me much labored thought and advice from
          others to decide I must risk having heavier armor. You had
          mentioned the possibility of making me some, and it would seem
          I need such help. Since the group seems intent on giving me
          such a large amount from the things found, I can give all that
          to you to offset the costs involved."

          "Something I have been working on myself has been making a
          stronger bow, but so far my skill is not up to the task. I may
          not be able to make such a bow from wood and I do not work with
          metals much. The only weapons I use much are my bow and fist. I
          am an expert in both of those and see little reason to use
          anything else. So those are another area I should seek magical
          improvements on if its possible. Are these things you have time
          to help me with?"

          <Raban can be long winded, it helps clarify things to himself
          to think out loud at times. That should be enough fluff for this
          update?>

          Any system will balance out if the group stays together long
          enough. I have always been one fond of using the found treasures
          whenever possible. So claims with leftovers shared is fine with
          the player, hopefully no one is too greedy.

          Raban, unfortunately, is not greedy so will only claim something
          he can use.
          But in this world, that may work out just fine.
          I have heard rumors the GM uses Karma and other balances against
          you, so too much good stuff and it could hurt!  ;)

          I will admit that is a rarity, a cosmic balance to offset such
          factors, allows playing a character like Raban without him being
          punished for it. Or at least I think I heard that... maybe it
          was a dream.. or a nightmare!
        GM: Ack.  The bottles are a bit big.  Think of old fashioned
            milk bottles or glass coke bottles.  Too big for one dose.
            Your best bet is to buy small flasks like for salt.  As to
            collar claim see below.  I'll put your share of the gold
            in your sheet at the end then you can decide.  Its hard
            to figure out who will get the donation so it can be
            dealt with later.  Rumors? Who tells you these things.  Tell!
            Sounds like a stupid GM.

                        ------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          To Sven:  "If this Itom is behind the attack, then we should not
          let it go unanswered.  Nor should we leave such a treacherous
          enemy at our backs.  I say we track down Itom, and butcher her!"
          Ben'Dar is in favor of dealing with Itom before returning to the
          High Elder.

          To Unali:  "And how would you know how a lady likes to be
          treated?"
          he says with a mischievious grin.  "Besides, you've been
          wanting me to do that ever since we met!"
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra responds "I would be honored to make armor for you. I
          could include gauntlets and boots that could assist your
          incredible hand to hand fighting skills. What type armor would
          you want? I can make and enchant leather, chain or plate. But
          the tougher the starting material the longer it will take to
          make. For instance plate armor alone would take at least seven
          weeks. Perhaps chainmail, helm, gauntlets and boots could be
          done in five to six weeks of effort. Such would protect you from
          minor blows and greatly reduce injury from greater blows,
          similar to what I wear. It would only take a couple weeks to
          outfit you in fully enchanted leather...but that would still
          allow some injury from lesser blows and would wear out much
          faster."

          "Back when I was less adept at enchantment I used to wear
          enchanted ringmail covering enchanted leather or cloth but it
          now takes me less time to make and fully enchant brigandine,
          scale or banded ring which provides as much protection and
          lasts longer. Fully enchanted these provide just a bit better
          protection than normal plate armor. That would be the least
          armor I would suggest any wear while adventuring and fighting
          such opponents as we often seem to face. Those that melee on
          the front lines should have armor even better than that. Armor
          such as Ben'Dar or I wear. Ben'Dar's leather started out as
          tough as chainmail and I enchanted it further."

          "Unfortunately I am not yet a bowyer, so I cannot make and
          enchant a bow fit for you...yet. Someday perhaps. As far as
          costs...I consider creating the equivalent of one magic armor
          and one magic weapon for each fellow party member to be part of
          my share in the party...a way to make all of us both more
          effective and more survivable. If you choose to retire from
          the party, well we can consider the matter anew. Gauntlets
          enchanted to boost your close combat skills will count as your
          magical weapon. Remember that there are others waiting for me
          to have time to create these items for them as well. Time is a
          precious commodity for me as I have many things I must do and
          must divide up my time to do them. Possibly we shall start with
          just the armor and create the rest when more time becomes
          available. Some, such as Xian, chose to not have me make
          such items for them or can create their own."
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Since we have been doing it method 1 all this time (even though
          I forget), Chion would have voted that way... I was under the
          impression we subtracted valueable items from the lot and if it
          was zero or less we just got the item. I also recall "dibs"
          being a "take turns and play nice" thing, whereby if you call
          dibs in one adventure, you don't in the next, etc... until
          everyone has gotten dibs on something nice (another reason Chion
          has pretty well stayed out of all dibs discussions this time
          around).

          Anyway, I stand corrected, and method 1 is fine with Chion.
          Obviously, he would like a chance at some time to study the
          armor, as he has been trying for several adventures to collect
          armor to study different designs. This is mostly because he is
          a master armorsmith and wants to be able to make armor from
          different parts of the world/different time periods. Eventually.

          Somewhere along the way, when the party stops for a short while,
          Chion laughs out loud. When asked (no doubt the curiousity will
          get to someone) he will reply, "At least I am not married."
        GM: Ack.  No problem.  Glad you understand.  As to armor I'm sure
            it can be studied at length by all.  As to the above joke I
            forgot the original thread/joke.  Alex says it was a joke
            but I forget the reference.  You have good memory!

                        ------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban listens carefully to what Z'leyra says and then replies
          "Then it is best you decide based on how much time you can
          afford, as anything is better than what I have now. One that
          will not break too easily would be nice. But if you do not need
          money what can I do to help you? I am an skilled masseuse so I
          can give you massages to relax the muscles that are tight from
          the work? There must be something I can do for you in return."
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra responds
          "I am not saying that I can't use money. If you wish to put
          money towards my making the armor that would mean that I would
          not have to spend as much time making items for sale to pay for
          expenses such as iron, coal, food, et cetera. Helping guard would
          be another  possible way to help."
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban smiles sweetly, "Then what money or other treasures you
          need are yours, Z'leyra. I can be a bodyguard as well, day or
          night. But I cannot ignore my other duties for too long. So I
          will need to make arrangements to entertain at whatever local
          inns or other establishments I can find nearby. And see if there
          are any people who need my help in my other capacities. Being a
          wandering Bard has many rewards as well as duties. I need to
          work on the stories about our adventures, the wonders of the
          places we have been, though I suspect much of that may need to
          be kept a secret for now. My teaching cultural things will be
          limited depending on who is in the audiences, some places do
          not wish to learn about other cultures. And my Goddess gets
          upset with me at times because I have found some of her
          teachings cannot be taught openly, but only in private to a
          select audience. But I really hope I will find a place I can
          dance, I have not been putting the effort into that I should.
          The problem is so few places have enough room for me to do it
          justice and I dislike putting on a mediocre performance. Of
          course most places do not want to see a man dancing especially
          one of my size, so I mostly dance for nobles. That is where I
          make my largest income, usually many gold for the performance
          and sometimes more for private shows. But I am sure you
          understand that performing for any noble carries risks and I
          do not mean from a poor performance. Sometimes an excellent
          performance causes many problems."
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Kiet, using his finest acting skills, comically says "Oh, get a
          room!"
          [*** Quoted post of Raban/Z'leyra's posts deleted for space ***]
        GM: Ack.

                        ------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Oh what a thing to do to them!>

          For a brief moment Raban is startled and scenes from other
          such encounters flash through his mind...But this time he is
          innocent, or at least mostly so.. In some cultures even
          implying such things can result in death! There is only one
          proper response, remove the slight to her virtue.

          Raban turns and smiles, "Keit, you mistook our conversation. I
          am just negotiating for purchase of armor and weapons made by
          our busy friend, Z'Leyra."

          <In some things, Raban has learned fast responses ;)  >
          [*** Kiet's email deleted for space ***]

        GM: Now for the flying adventures of Fremea...
            [Posted with her agreement.]

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 2 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 3:23pm]

        [Fremea who has been in deep thought-conversation with the Seker
         for some time now decides to do one final fly over the castle. To
         ensure everyone is gone and things are cleaned out.  Flying
         quickly from floor to floor scanning open doors and then to the
         outside around the castle.  Finally she decides to take a look at
         the island from a higher position.  Battling the winds she gains
         some height and for the first time gets a full view of the island
         that will soon be destroyed.  To the western part of the island is
         a light wood of trees spaced far apart for a wagon to go between
         each tree.  The trees themselves are small, not going over 30
         feet it seems.  Fremea scans for magical auras but only sees the
         barrier that seems to hold the island aloft.  She makes a mental
         note to ask the Seker about it.  She wonders how the trees could
         be so short for such a long period of time.  Surely there is
         enough moisture in the air for them to grow but they should be
         large ancient trees.  Unless something designed it the other way
         or use some hidden soil magic she can't sense.  She has heard
         Priests can protect crops and things like that so maybe its
         possible.  It would be a bad idea to have the trees dig their
         way down to the Seker's cave and collapse it or dig to the
         bottom and create a avalanche of dirt.]

        [Fremea spots the various creatures the party took down like the
         long snakes and gargoyles.  If only the party had found the Seker
         first they might have dealt them freedom.  Arawn was right after
         all it seems.  Maybe talking to them might just have done better
         than slaughtering them.  But a slave or pet dying for their
         freedom has some redeeming value.  Fling down she can't spot the
         Glyph or Wind Elementals but senses they are out there watching
         and waiting.  She can see wafts of the cloud elemental along the
         border of the island that seems to cover it from view.]

        [Landing in the courtyard she glances at the damage done and
         wonders if destroying the place is such a good thing.  After all
         the party could use this base of operations for a long time an of
         great use.  But once someone heard of it they would be eager to
         take it away.  The folly of power is always shifting when others
         seek that same power.  She saw it in her own slave masters by one
         slaver fighting over another's ground or body they found.]

        [Flying up to the second floor she wonders why the burnt wife of
         A'kril, confirmed by the Seker to be her from her description,
         didn't turn to ask like A'kril.  Maybe she wasn't under the same
         geas, curse or trap by the gods he was.  Heading to the Navigation
         room she scans the illusionary map.  Caladan gave her a brief
         overview of its use by the gems under the table. Since the Dark
         Lands map was taken by the party she uses the illusionary magic
         map to pull a path east.  The symbols aren't readable so the scale
         isn't known.  But based on the map she should only have 20-30
         miles to go to the ocean.  As a cold breeze enters the destroyed
         windows she walks to the portal.]

        [Time: 3:51pm]

        [Back in the room she sits and waits a bit longer to ensure the
         party get below and moving.  With the thoughts on her mind the
         Seker answers her own thoughts that come easy now.]

        Seker: "You wonder about other life on the island?  Aside from the
          Elementals I strongly sense the Glyph.  But the other Elementals
          are vague sensations.  There are even lighter traces of smaller
          creatures in the west...yes the woods... there might be birds.
          The birds should be smart enough to leave but some loss will
          have o be done.  Saving them all isn't possible."

        [After a brief pause.]

        Seker: "I did sense something about or around A'kril.  But I do not
          have the Sidh ability to detect the exact auras.  After all these
          years I suspect the gods did something to him.  Like me and the
          Elementals he might have been bound here to this place as its
          master.  He could leave for short durations but not for long.
          His wife didn't seem affected by the gods.  She was quite...
          skillful in her own right...she did A'kril's dirty work and
          would deal with prisoners on a personal level. I could sense
          she didn't like the Dark Elves that much and didn't care for
          them being here.  She had thoughts, when she was in the cave,
          of killing or using them in rituals.  Raban may have sought to
          save her but I suspect she had far different thoughts for him."

        [The Seker turns its head south as if listening to something. It
         turns back to Fremea.]

        Seker: "I'm getting the urge to move by the Glyph.  I can't pick
          up his full thoughts but I get the impression your friends are
          away and below now.  It is time to go."

        [With that Fremea notices a brief surge of magical aura from the
         amulet and collar.  A slight bump happens when the island starts
         to move eastward.]

        Seker: "We have a couple of hours I suspect."

        [Fremea knows it will be awhile so decides to learn more about the
         Seker and exchanging information.  She starts with her own
         background leading to a long thought-conversation.]

        [Time: 5:40pm]

        [Fremea sitting indian style with palms on knees and wings folded
         notices the Seker sigh and look sad.  Sensing her query he