[pnpgm] Tactics class

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Wed Dec 16 07:20:53 CET 2009

Sometime in the future....Z'leyra speaks to the gathered party.
"We are all of us capable of fighting, most of us fairly well and some
spectacularly well.
But even the best fighters can fail and fall rather quickly when
attacked by many or from behind."

"While others in this party could probably instruct warleaders and
generals in tactics I have noticed that not everyone has a complete
grasp of the subject. Tactics are important! They can mean the
difference between success and failure, life and death. Simple tactics
are these...protect your friends so that your friends will be there to
protect you. Guard each others backs. Use group tactics to take down the
most dangerous enemies fast and prevent the enemy from doing the same to
us."

"As an example, take two groups of three, all equal in fighting ability.
A, B and C versus 1, 2 and 3. Normally it would be random as to who
would win. But if A, B and C all attack number 2 while defending against
1, 2 and 3 respectively the odds are that number 2 will fall first
leaving either 1 or 3 having two opponents that will probably have one
able to circle around to attack from the flank. Flank attacks and being
attacked by several opponents will quickly finish off 1 and 3. The
losers fought one on one, the winners used concentration of force."

"Terrain and surprise are factors that influence combat. Think about
them. Those with terrain on their side are more likely to surprise their
opponents and having cover reduces the odds of being hit."

"Melee is chaotic, very fluid and confusing. It is easy to overlook
tactics and just concentrate on the opponent in front of you. One of the
reasons we win our fights is because of those that see the larger
picture and react tactically. Imagine various scenarios. Think about
possible actions. Consider the consequences. Rethink the actions, see
what different consequences would likely occur. Doing this should make
you more effective at winning fights, skirmishes, battles and wars."

"Remember, tactics can help to protect your friends so that they can in
turn protect you and those important to you."