[pnpgm] Game Update #31 - File #99 - Raban gives a blessing

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Mar 18 08:33:01 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.............Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #31 in sequence (file #99)

     Admin notes: Added Raban to Roster above. Guess I forgo to
     before now. :<

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will add, after what Kaylle said, "Yes, I know the High
          Elder. He is the one who gave me this (nudging his staff). For
          those who don't know of him... think of a him as a King. A King
          who floats and can change you into a newt at a whim. We will
          need a good set of clothes each, in case we are required to
          attend a function. We need to leave in about six hours. Kaylle,
          I will try to bring you a few more current books for the
          library. Ben'dar, good friend, we will need to find you
          suitable clothing. Please don't take offense. Everyone should
          be on their best behavior until we figure out what is expected
          of us."

          Chion will bring everything he has, exchanging Marentian coins
          to Katai and Chosai currency (about 10gp worth each) at the
          moneychanger's. He makes a mental note of all that has happened

          As stated, Chion will take everything he has (with him) to the
          Dark Lands. Stuff in house is still in house (in another city).
          with Kel for later on.
        GM: Ack.  Take all Items.  Lots of gold to take with you but
            that's fine.  I assume you mean convert 20 Marentian GC
            to 10 Katai and 10 Chosai gold coins.  Moneylender will
            charge 1 Silver coin (cheap rate) for the conversion.
            The 1 SC taken off sheet.  Thanks for the follow-up email.
            To clarify the gear.  Take all that you have on you. That's
            fine.  Just wanted to make sure.  Then your ready to go!

                        --------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          When the others were done responding to Chion Arawn took a
          moment to move next to the wizard. Their had been much activity
             linked to Katai in the past several weeks. Now, it seemed,
             they would be travelling their and Arawn thought over the
             handicap presented to the group with only two native
             speakers. Taking a moment of the wizard's time he quietly
             asked,

             "Chion, if I may have a moment, it seems that there has been
             much going on in connection with Katai lately. I am eager to
             travel there but there is the small problem of a potential
             language barrier. There is likely much to learn while there
             and writings here to be studied. I may learn the language
             while I am there but with no more than a touch I may learn
             all I need to know now and carry the shadow of your tongue
             within my heart. If you will allow it."

             Regardless of the decision Arawn will then proceed to ask
             questions of basic etiquette in regards to the Dark Lands
             and Katai from both Chion and Unali. He will also proceed to
             change into his finer clothes in preparation for a reception
             with the lord of the Dark Lands.

             Beyond these things he will mention to the party that he
             would like to take some time before they leave to gather
             crafting materials for an item he hopes to make. He will
             mention that he is looking to purchase equipment and
             materials to craft some jewelry that he would to house
             certain stones in just in case anyone present knows of a
             good source to purchase these. Outside of this he is ready
             to leave.

             BTW- I mentioned Arawn asking Z'leyra for help Enhancing
             some items in the last post but I looked over things and
             it appears everything is already enhanced so nix that
             statement.

             In regards to Jensen's questions Arawn will give a false
             name if he is asked for one, but will use Mana Sense and
             Reading, if Sensing picks up anything out of the ordinary,
             first to hopefully determine if any magics are being used
             to screen for the truth. If none are detectected he will
             use a false name but will otherwise answer as Jensen asks.

             "I come from a place far from here and you must travel deep
             into the Wild Woods before you reach it."

             He supresses a smile knowing that this isn't exactly true
             but neither is it a lie, his thoughts wandering to Avalon,
             knowing that within lay a gateway back to the Upper Realms.
             As for equipment, yes, Arawn will take everything. He likes
             to keep things close.

             As for the gems, I looked over the sheet and it appears that
             they are all enhanced already (if I'm wrong please let me know)
             and the only things he needs to enhance are the garlic and
             wolvesbane which he'll do on his own when he has time.

             If the group leaves their horses then he will leave his
             behind to be cared for as well.

             I'm guessing Arawn isn't too aware of the monetary systems
             of the Middle World just yet (unless you say otherwise) as
             I imagine that such things don't exist in the Upper World
             where they are more likely to barter power than coin and so
             he would not think to convert coins over on his own. If
             someone in the party mentions it however...

             In regards to his face wrap, until he reaches Katai/Dark
             Lands he will wear it. While there he will have his face
             uncovered, though he will keep his ears and such obscured,
             during formal meetings and will have his face partially
             exposed while in public. He knows that he may be seen as
             an outsider but hopefully will not be noticed as an elf to
             most. (Hmm, maybe time to invest in an item of magical
             disguise...)

             Also, as Kaylle seems eager but unable to go Arawn will ask,
             "Is there no way for you to attend? Can you not present
             this opportunity to your superiors as a chance to add to the
             great stores of knowledge already contained within your
             library?"

             If Kaylle still declines or cannot accompany them Arawn
             will add, "I am sorry that you cannot make the journey.
             Tell me, is there any boon you wish while I am there?"

             Outside of this I sent a separate post to the group with
             some other actions listed there.
             -----------New Post----------
             Arawn nod's his head and unsure whether Chion is simply
             agreeing or asking for a trade in return he replies,
             "What do you wish?"
             Also, as Chion was poisoned Arawn will offer to restore
             his strength (Energy Levels) lost due to the poison. If
             Chion accepts Arawn will use Energy (Priest) at EL 0 until
             Chion is fully recovered or, if Chion wishes only one
             casting like Unali, will cast it at max EL.
        GM: Ack. Your correct the Gems are enhanced.  The 2 items
            list aren't.  So you don't need Z'leyra's help after all?
            Horses will be taken.  Will need them. :)  I'm assuming
            this as a given unless stated otherwise.  You spent a few
            weeks in the market and got used to using coins.  Kasha
            the moneylender might've even given you a crash course.
            So if you want to convert you can.   Face wrap.  Ok.
            May have to remind me but that's fine.

                        --------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          After hearing that there will be an audience with some of
          higher court and royal blood (or at least she assumes that,
          since Fremea has no idea about this place), Fremea will pop
          back to Z's place and make a garment out of her clothes that
          is fit for court (as she knows it). Otherwise, she will take
          everything. (Thinking to herself, this is the first time that
          she has ever been ASKED to go and help out, it is a odd feeling
          to not be told what to do, and yet, it is very exciting to
          her, for maybe she can do some good for once)
        GM: Ack.  You say make clothes.  I doubt you could make a
            decent set in six hours. :<  Your Fine Quality Dress
            should be sufficient for court as well as your gown.
            So looks like your ready.

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Sivas, Marentia, Green Eye Tavern.

         [Time:  8:27am]

         [After Chion hears the scroll and Kaylle is impressed by
          Chion knowing the High Elder...]

         Chion: "Yes, I know the High Elder. He is the one who gave me
           this (nudging his staff). For those who don't know of him...
           think of a him as a King. A King who floats and can change
           you into a newt at a whim. We will need a good set of clothes
           each, in case we are required to attend a function. We need
           to leave in about six hours. Kaylle, I will try to bring you
           a few more current books for the library. Ben'dar, good friend,
           we will need to find you suitable clothing. Please don't take
           offense. Everyone should be on their best behavior until we
           figure out what is expected of us."

         [Kaylle's eyes bulge at the comment.]

         Kaylle: "If you can do that I'd be grateful!  I didn't learn
           Katai as a language.  Of the languages I know who'd
           think Tungali would never become useful!  As if the gods
           created it but then didn't allow anyone to speak it.  Dead
           languages!  But.." [He pauses thinking] "..could you get
           the High Elder...no...don't want to push..but if you...
           could get him to sign one?  I'd improve my status among
           the other humans at the library."

         [Cholan lifts a mug of tea up to his lips and lets a small
          giggle out at the mention of Ben'dar and clothing.  He tries
          to picture Ben'dar in full barbarian leathers, dragon
          scale armor, fangs necklace and wolf headdress meeting
          a King.  Could lead to an interesting international incident.
          He grins at Ben'dar but quickly lowers his grin so not to
          offend.  Cholan tries to recall if he ever dressed more
          "civilized"?  Surely Ben'dar has some "business" clothing?]

         [Arawn hears Chion reply and understands a future meeting
          with a King is in order.  Nothing too complicated for him
          as it was a common thing.  Arawn looks to the others and
          wonders how they will react in such an audience.  More
          interesting study in human behavior.]

         [Fremea listens to Chion and wonders how such a rag tag
          party of such diverse cultures, status and power could
          have such friends in high places.  She heard the story
          from somewhere that the party rescued the King of Marentia
          in the last couple years, well some of the party did. Now
          Chion, and maybe Unali, knows the most powerful Wizard in
          the middle world?  Even Fremea has heard of rumors of his
          prowess among the Sidh and Faerry.  The Faerry Queen mentioned
          stories of him while in the Faerry Hill.  Then she recalls
          if they were up in the forest it would be a short distance
          to the Dark Lands.  Ironic they must come thousand or so
          miles to go back up when they were just within a few hundred
          months ago.  As her thoughts ramble she wonders if the
          Katai there deal with Faerry well.]

         [Arawn finds the link with Katai very interesting to past
          events.  Now Katai seems to be calling them.  Maybe this
          trip will lead to clues and answers to questions.  But
          answers will be difficult to obtain without a common
          tongue.  Arawn moves close to Chion and quietly asks him
          a question while the others talk among themselves about
          the new travel plans.]

         Arawn: "Chion, if I may have a moment, it seems that there has
           been much going on in connection with Katai lately. I am eager
           to travel there but there is the small problem of a potential
           language barrier. There is likely much to learn while there
           and writings here to be studied. I may learn the language
           while I am there but with no more than a touch I may learn
           all I need to know now and carry the shadow of your tongue
           within my heart. If you will allow it."

         [Chion smiles inwardly.  Knowledge is power.  Language is
          power as well.  It would be fun to see the party stumble
          into a land and not know the language just to see who
          they would deal with it.  But then again they seemed to
          handle it well with the Vassa.  Course Miklav was a bit
          magical with his tongue.]

         Chion: "I will if you will." [with a smile.]

         [Arawn considers the reply a bit cryptic but from Chion that
          seems typical.  Is he asking for a language trade or
          something else?]

         Arawn: "What do you wish?"

         [Arawn asks Chion and Unali about Katai customs and rules
          of etiquette.  He also informs the party that he will
          need to obtain some materials before he leaves but knows
          he only has maybe 5 hours to do it.]

         [Arawn later finds Kaylle and asks him a question.]

         Arawn [to Kaylle] : "Is there no way for you to attend? Can you
           not present this opportunity to your superiors as a chance to
           add to the great stores of knowledge already contained within
           your library?"

         Kaylle: "I would love to go.  But I've just been given a position
           of Archivist and some trust.  You know how humans treat us
           here.  If I left now they'd size the opportunity to get
           rid of my position all together.  No.  Sadly.  I must stay.
           Plus I have research on those gray things and other Climan
           things to continue to research.  Plus the Lands are a dangerous
           place for a Human much less a person like me, a mere scholar.
           I rather come back alive." [He grins and backs up in jest
           but bumps up against Raban.  He turns around quickly
           and scans the length from knees up to his head and begins
           to stammer.  The towering Raban is a good 5 feet taller than
           the short Faerry.] "So..soo..sorry...my mistake.  Are
           you going with them? If not want to go with me back to
           Malnon and entertain there?  Your a fine musician."

         [Arawn smiles inwardly at the scene of Giant and Dwarf.
          He asks Kaylle another question.]

         Arawn: "I am sorry that you cannot make the journey. Tell me,
           is there any boon you wish while I am there?"

         Kaylle: "I like biographies, histories, maps of the Lands,
           herbal and plant lore...stuff like that.  I wonder if
           the library would reimburse me for it.  I'll go convert
           some coins to Katai type coins and you can use it to
           buy the stuff.  I appreciate it!"

                                ---------------

         [Time:  8:46am]

         [Jensen interviews Arawn on the situation.]

         [Arawn uses Mana Sensing and Reading to check Arawn but finds
          nothing.  Not even a hint of magic about the man.  Arawn
          supplies a fake name but hopes Jensen isn't smart enough
          to have asked Arawn's name from the others.  Course he
          looks smart enough but Jensen takes his name and doesn't
          seem to reply just takes notes in his small pad and nods.
          Maybe to be used later?]

         Arawn: "I come from a place far from here and you must travel
           deep into the Wild Woods before you reach it."

         Jensen: "That is specific." [He grins for the first time
           this morning revealing yellow stained teeth.] "I hope
           you enjoy your stay here.  That's all for now."

         [Jensen makes another note in his pad and flips it closed.
          then turns almost dismissing Arawn with a nod and looks
          to Cholan to go ask him some questions.  Arawn hopes Cholan
          doesn't reveal his real name.  Arawn looks back to Kaylle
          and Chion talking about the High Elder.  His thoughts go
          back to Avalon and the gateway home.  Chion could probably
          get to Avalon in 3-4 trips.  He could be home by night.
          But would that be good to get back so soon.  It would
          be good to know of his friend's fate but the White Elf
          seems to imply he has a destiny here to learn.  Maybe
          this Most Powerful Wizard knows a way home.  But would
          he ask such a question of a human?  It might show weakness
          in him and thus to the Alfar.  Arawn mulls all these thoughts
          over for a few minutes.]

                                -----------------

         [Time:  8:52am]

         [Jensen interviews Raban and gives him advice on nobility
          in the province.]

         Raban: "I had not given that much thought, where am I
            headed? I usually just walk in the direction that feels
            right. I trust in my goddess to steer me in a direction
            that needs my services or help and so far that has worked
            out well. I do more than entertain in taverns you know. I
            help those that need healing or counseling or even those
            just down on their luck. I entertain with teaching songs
            and what money I earn is used for my expenses and some is
            given to those who truly need it. Charity I prefer to keep
            at a minimum, so I pay them for teaching me skills or other
            such things when ever possible. Someday I may even play for
            your King, perhaps I will ask him to intercede with your
            nobles if that is the only way. Or if he has a sense of
            humor, perhaps he will make me a noble so I can deal
            with them myself. So if you need to find me I am told
            that is quite easy to do. It would seem my handsome
            looks are remembered by all who see me."

         [Jensen nods and closes his notepad taking no notes.  A slight
          grin comes to his face but fades fast.]

         Jensen: "Yes.  Perhaps.  Anything is possible in this land it
           seems.  Good day to you sir."

         [He turns to go interview someone else...]

                                -----------------

         [Time: 10:45am]

         [Kel and Jensen have left long ago and the party has started
          to discuss the Dark Lands trip.]

         [By now Raban has been well packed and has been waiting
          a bit with the party in the tavern.  Jensen has just left
          and Raban is considering his next plans.  He recalls his
          promise to help the women and brings it back up.  Z'leyra
          agrees to the blessing.]

         Raban [to Z'leyra]: "It will be my pleasure to bless you.
           Since I know so little about you, perhaps it would be best
           to ask you what sort of blessing you would prefer. I would
           have assumed you would like protection from enemies but maybe
           there is others more useful to you. I can make you more
           beautiful if you desire it. The blessing will only last a
           few days unless you think you need more.

         GM: Technically this next part is hard to insert since Raban
             to my knowledge hasn't been invited officially so
             take the dialogue as if Raban is curious of the place.
             When discussion over coin conversion to Katai denominations.

         Raban: "I know little of this place, normally it is of no
           importance if my coins are not local and I tend to get more
           easily. Is there other things I need to know about this place?"

         [By now Arawn and Fremea have changed into some fine quality
          clothing and for her a dress.  Corona bored has fallen asleep
          over the small stable outside.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Friday...

        GM: Status of Characters
            [As of Marqi 29, 11am, Currently]

                   Player     Health      Energy        Mana
               Arawn            100%        97%         100%
               Chion             97%         7%          81%
               Unali            100%         9%           -

            Arawn continues to offer to recharge both in energy
            levels.  Let me know.  Otherwise Chion might be
            too weak to actually teleport at such low levels.
            Not mana wise but should have some strength for
            the jump.

        GM: Trip Status

                   Player                Notes
               Chion        100%   Ready to Go, Some coins converted.
               Z'leyra      100%   Ready to Go, Some coins converted
               Fremea       100%   Ready to Go
               Unali        100%   Ready to Go
               Ben'dar       95%   Almost Ready to Go, Needs clothing
               Arawn         95%   Almost Ready to Go, Buying stuff
               Raban         95%   Almost Ready to go, Need to be invited!

        GM: Chion - Your good to go.  If you wish to "explain" and detail
              the dark lands and give hints/clues and background or
              such do so now please.  Kaylle can fill in some blanks
              but he is a outsider.  This is your chance to flesh
              out the Lands as you see it.

            Ben'dar - Your ready to go with your gear as I see it.
              Don't have money but you need some nice clothing.
              Otherwise you might not go far in seeing the High
              Elder.  Its your choice though.
                          Fine Quality    Fine & Silk
                 Tunic       5 BB             12 BB
                 Pants       1 CC              3 CC
                 Cloak       4 CC              6 CC
              You can run to the market (and follow up on that vendor
              if you want) and buy some quick clothing.  Just let me
              know which you'd like if any of the above clothing.  I
              figured Cloak would look nice on you in a court setting
              rather than headdress and necklace. :)  After all
              to become some sort of business man in Marentia need
              such clothes anyway. :)

            Arawn - Will assume take all gear.  But do you wish to
              leave something like at Z'leyra's manor or the tavern
              with Cholan like those books?  I don't see much
              use for them but up to you.  On the Katai customs
              and etiquette you'll probably need to ask specific
              questions.  Otherwise its up to Chion/Unali to
              give details on it.  Kaylle could help a bit if
              he knows it.  But just asking won't make you an
              EL40 in Katai Customs :)  What fake name do you
              give Jensen? No need for Z'leyra to enhance
              anything. What exactly do you have in mind on these
              crafting materials?  Hunting and fixing it might
              be a bit limited with 5 hours to go.

            Raban - I hope Chion invites you along based on the comments
              in the scroll.  If not I'll have to figure out a way
              to get you with the party.  I'm sorta clever maybe I
              can figure it out. :)  As to spells.  I'll post the
              section and see if the women want it. Technically you've
              not been invited by Chion yet.  The High Elder did request
              entertainers but Chion hasn't mentioned it yet. [HINT HINT
              subtle HINT] :)

            Fremea - Your ready to go looks like.

            Unali - You say only 1 semi formal dress.  How about 1
              semi and 1 formal? Just in case.  Otherwise as email
              stated on gear.  As to book did leave it at Aren's but
              will just assume you have it.  Its not a big deal.
              So your taking it with you.

        GM: As soon as hear from Arawn, Ben'dar and hopefully Raban
            gets invited along.  We'll go ahead and do the teleport.
            We'll jump to Caladan's village first and then straight
            up to the Dark Lands since its a safe route and good
            chance to spend time at Caladan's village a few minutes
            or something).  For all don't forget to read the Recap
            section at the top for GM comments to specific posts.