[pnpgm] Game Update #51 - File #216 - Party prepares to teleport

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jun 20 06:41:07 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #51 in sequence (file #216)

     Admin notes: Part 2 of 2.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will take the first nuckle/bone of an index finger off
          of one of the giants after they are dead. He will also take
          some hair as well. If asked he will say, "I am planning on
          making some items and do not want to waste these creatures." I
          believe the party knows they don't typically have treasure, but
          he will give them the once over anyway.
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban checks over his minor bruise and decides a weak healing
          (El0) should take care of it nicely. Calling on his diety in a
          brief prayer, he thanks her for watching over him and the others,
          and then he heals himself before searching for his bow that he
          dropped earlier. Then the matter of his horse, who did not care
          for the giants very much, but eventually Raban is ready to travel
          again. [Mostly Raban just thinks over the recent fight and how
          poorly he did. The fight was won without really needing his help,
          though mostly due to Sven and Caladan. Worse, Raban could have
          caused injury to Frema had he hit the giant the way he had
          planned too. Better planning is needed for the future, but that
          will require knowing more about the others and them about him.
          It is difficult to defend ladies who also jump into the fights,
          especially when they are faster than you are. Overall the brief
          fight showed him too little to judge the others skills. Raban
          did not fail in anything he did, he just did not do as good as
          he had hoped under the conditions. The others mostly failed from
          what Raban could recall seeing, maybe just bad luck, as the ones
          who did succeed were quite effective. They obviously did not
          think they needed him to hold the giants back since many charged
          the giants. Did they think I was just boasting? Or did they even
          hear me? I am new to this group, an unknown, maybe they just did
          what they would have done if I was not there. Then I must do
          things so they know I am there? I could entertain them at camp
          but too much would draw  attention of more than the group....

          <Poor Raban is at a loss on what he needs to do ;)  He has worked
          alone too long. >
        GM: Ack.  Good comments.

                --------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar notices Raban's distress as he coaches the big man on
          horsemanship skill.  "What troubles you, friend?"

          If Raban shares his concerns about the fight, Ben'Dar responds,
          "This group has been fighting together for a long time.  It
          takes time to learn how we each engage the enemy and to
          coordinate our actions.  Do not feel badly, it was far better
          for you to take the hit from the giant's club than some others
          in the group.  From what I have seen of you, you can take a hit
          better than most here."

          Ben'Dar watches Raban riding awkwardly for a few seconds.
          "Most here do not take full advantage of their mounts in a
          fight.  A well trained horseman is easily the equal of any two
          footmen."  He glances at the huge Raban and amends the statement.
          "Well, the equal any two normal-sized footmen!  If you are
          interested, I will train you and your horse in the Z'enda
          manner of mounted warfare?"
        GM:  Ack.

                --------------------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: His Rope]
          The 150' of rope were to be cut into 12' lengths....with
          one being 16'.
        GM: Ack.  Will make changes.

                --------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Raban]
           Forwarding to the list...assuming this conversation is public.

           Ben'Dar notices Raban's distress as he coaches the big man on
           horsemanship skill.  "What troubles you, friend?"

           Raban sighs, "I had an excellent chance to show the ladies
           that I could protect them, and I proved nothing. No one let
           me hold the giants back and the ladies recklessly moved in
           for their own attacks. I was in no serious danger, those giant
           were not any stronger than I am and they tend to be far less
           skilled. With my goddesses help and a little luck, I though I
           would take the giants down with hardly a scratch. In that I
           was greatly mistaken it seems as I only helped a little."

           [***Text deleted for space.***]

           Raban grins, "I would hope someone of my size could take a few
           hits like that without much trouble. No, it would take a long
           time for me to be comfortable fighting from a horse's back. I
           suppose it would not hurt to learn it but its best I jump off
           to fight. I would be so worried the horse would get hurt,
           either from my actions or the opponents, that I would not
           fight very well. What I need to learn is how this group works
           together so I do not put the others at risk. Had I not seen
           her, I would have knocked that giant right on top of Frema. I
           understand why she wanted to be behind him, but too many close
           to such a monster interferes with each others actions. It would
           seem I need to strike sooner while the opponent is not crowded."
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will offer to heal Raban's damage.

          Z'leyra will help those wanting to learn (via the magic
          item) Aratad; Donaran; Kameri; Katai; Marentian; Salaqi or
          Vassa. She is interested in learning other languages.

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 2nd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Ki'ama's Citadel.  Day of Duel.]

        [Before the duel Z'leyra let's Raban use the language necklace
         to learn Katai as he is next to request it.  So far Ben'dar's
         attempt to learn Katai failed and Fremea's worked.]

        [Raban places the necklace on himself and lowers his magical
         resistance.  Z'leyra speaks the magical invocation work and
         speaks Katai.  She then continues to speak a few more words
         and Raban understands it all.  He soon learns as the day
         goes on he is quite fluent in it just like that.]

        [Marqi 31st, 1633TH. 3rd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: En route in Chaos domain.

        [At sunrise and after breakfast Kiet is offered the tongues
         necklace to use and learn Marentian so he can fit in better
         with this group.  Like Raban he dons the necklace and the
         magic is invoked.  Z'leyra speaks a few words of Marentian
         but Kiet finds it is a bit broken.  He can understand the
         words much better than he did minutes ago but not as fluently
         as he wishes.  Some seem to learn languages better than others
         it seems.  But at least he is at the "visitor" language level.
         He can understand the basics to make do.  Over time he'll learn
         more and more of the language.]

        [That evening Chion approaches Kiet about his rope making and
         tells him rope is like a good sailor.  It takes a few seconds
         for Kiet to understand the comment something about like a
         "satchel" but then Chion translates it into Katai.  Kiet replies.]

        Kiet: "Good ropes have many uses.  When I was at sea they taught
          me many ways to use rope effectively.  It is my hope these ropes
          do a great deal more than simply hold up my trousers!"  (stick
          out my hand) "I am Kiet Sunan.  Who might you be, again?"

        [Chion can see the younger man trying his best to be accepted
         and tolerated as a newcomer.  Chion knows the feeling all too
         well going through it himself just two years or so ago.  Chion
         sits down and has a small conversation with the rope maker
         in both Marentian and Katai.]

        [Ma 1st, 1633TH. 4th Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands

       [Time: 2:21pm]

       [Right after the giant combat...]

       [Chion looks down at the dead giant near him as Sven cleans his
        battle axe of crud.  Chion kneels down and breaks one finger
        to loosen it up and then takes his sai to cut off the end of
        the finger after the knuckle.  He then cuts a strip of the
        giant's hide shirt and makes a wrapping for it.  Later he'll
        clean the bloody pulp and tissue off.  Arawn turns away in
        slight disgust and Chion notices the looks of others.  Sven
        just sits on his horse amused as he knows wizard's take trophies
        for later shape changing or such.]

       Chion:  "I am planning on making some items and do not want to
         waste these creatures."

       [Chion then looks over the two giant bodies for any sign of
        treasure and around the immediate area but finds no treasure
        on them beyond the clubs and some minor food bits in their
        hair and clothing.  It would take some time to find their
        lair if they have one and even then they rarely keep treasure.
        They tend to be stupid creatures.]

       [As others clean the area of gear and gather up horses Raban
        checks out his bruise and damage.  One rib is intensely sore
        to the touch.  Raban doesn't have healer skill and figures
        he can treat his own wounds rather than having the Healer of
        the group, Z'leyra look at it.  He raises his shirt to examine
        the full mass of bruises.  He gives a quick prayer to his god
        and feels more confident as if his own magical bearing in this
        world is stronger.  He then casts the healing spell upon himself.
        The green healing energy circles around his barrel chest and
        the bruises quickly fade.  With Raban's robust stamina the entire
        slew of damage seems to fade and go away completely.  Even his
        rib isn't sore anymore.  He lowers his shirt as he watches the
        party go about their business.  He feels confused and other
        emotions at the combat.  Either he overestimated or underestimated
        the party and giants.  He now knows the party can take care of
        themselves, including the females.  But then again only Fremea
        got in a strike it seems. Unali and Z'leyra charges but never
        got in a swing.  But they seem brave enough to charge a being
        3 times their body mass.  One day though even these ladies may
        need his help and he'll be here to give it.  Raban finds the
        impressive Sven skilled with his battle axe.  Just two chops and
        the giant falls.  The Giants themselves didn't even get in a good
        shot of their own aside from reaction toward Raban.  Guided by
        some instinctive hate for Sidh these giants ran into death without
        regard for self survival.  What a waste.  Raban finds working
        with a party this size to be awkward and will take time to learn
        each person's abilities and weakness.  Till then Raban will remain
        vigilant and observant to their desires and actions.]

       [Ben'dar sticks with Raban now and for the past few days giving
        tips on riding.  how to move over or around obstacles and how
        to direct a horse through forest.  Even Ben'dar isn't used to
        all these trees.  He rather ride for hours and hours in the
        open and close his eyes if he wanted to.  Here he must watch
        for low branches and animals.  One could only trot a few feet
        before being blocked.  Ben'dar misses the wide open plains.
        As the party moves out of the Giant area Ben'dar notices Raban
        seems distressed and quiet.]

       Ben'dar: "What troubles you, friend?"

       [Raban sighs and replies.]

       Raban:  "I had an excellent chance to show the ladies that I could
         protect them, and I proved nothing. No one let me hold the giants
         back and the ladies recklessly moved in for their own attacks. I
         was in no serious danger, those giant were not any stronger than
         I am and they tend to be far less skilled With my goddesses help
         and a little luck, I though I would take the giants down with
         hardly a scratch. In that I was greatly mistaken it seems as I
         only helped a little."

       Ben'dar: "This group has been fighting together for a long time.
         It takes time to learn how we each engage the enemy and to
         coordinate our actions.  Do not feel badly, it was far better for
         you to take the hit from the giant's club than some others in
         the group.  From what I have seen of you, you can take a hit
         better than most here."

       [Ben'Dar watches Raban riding awkwardly for a few seconds.]

       Ben'dar: "Most here do not take full advantage of their mounts in
         a fight.  A well trained horseman is easily the equal of any two
         footmen."

       [He glances at the huge Raban and amends the statement.]

       Ben'dar: "Well, the equal any two normal- sized footmen!  If you
         are interested, I will train you and your horse in the Z'enda
         manner of mounted warfare?"

       [Raban grins but knows it will take a long time to ride well much
        less fight from a horse.]

       Raban: "I would hope someone of my size could take a few hits like
         that without much trouble. No, it would take a long time for me
         to be comfortable fighting from a horse's back. I suppose it would
         not hurt to learn it but its best I jump off to fight. I would be
         so worried the horse would get hurt, either from my actions or
         the opponents, that I would not fight very well. What I need to
         learn is how this group works together so I do not put the others
         at risk. Had I not seen her, I would have knocked that giant right
         on top of Fremea. I understand why she wanted to be behind him,
         but too many close to such a monster interferes with each others
         actions. It would seem I need to strike sooner while the opponent
         is not crowded."

       [Caladan hears the conversation and comes up along side Raban.
        He grins and raises a hand in friendship then pets his firesnake
        on his lap.]

       Caladan: "I guess I'm one of the core members of this group.  It
         started out with me, Xian, Farseeker, Thig, Varange and a couple
         others.  We went as far west as Fomorian and port domain.  Though
         I suspect Chion has traveled more than all of us by magic and
         by ship.  I am from the plains like Ben'dar there.  Son of the
         local tribal chief.  I never sought out leadership so went for
         adventure.  My master Woundenal is in the mountains north of
         Marentia and south of the plains.  There I learned fire and
         storm and sleep magics mostly among a few other minor spells.
         I'm reasonable with the staff and bow.  I will tend to charge
         into battle first with magic if needed and then close quarters.
         Xian is a magician who tends not to rely on magical items like
         many in Marentia and the profession.  He is skilled with the
         arbalest though some think he's took weak to use it.  But otherwise
         uses his staff well and tends to rush in.  Can't take much of
         a hit though as he has almost died several times.  Maybe four
         or five times in the last three years.  Farseeker is a heavy
         weapons expert in heavy swords and the like. He can take care
         of himself and usually handles 3-4 people at once with ease.
         So he'll charge into anything.  Thig is another Faerry that
         likes to use crossbows at range and on occasion fights in
         close quarters.  He also likes mind spells and things that
         explode.   Over the past...it must be...5 or 6 years now ..I
         guess..we've grown taking on new folks and lost a few.  I
         could name 3 or 4 who have died heroes.  I don't know much
         about that Arawn fellow but he seems to use magic and close
         in sword play.  Ben'dar is easy to figure out being like
         Farseeker he'll charge usually on Tef'wo with lighter weapons
         like his pike and bow.  Chion recently seems to depend on
         that staff of his but used to charge in with daggers and
         unarmed combat to deal with enemies.  He actually doesn't
         use much magic as most.  Don't know anything about Fremea
         yet but she seems bold enough to charge into open battle.
         Kiet haven't seen in battle but this one time.  So not
         sure what he'll do.  Unali is skilled in those daggers of
         hers as good as one with a heavy sword.  She'll use stealth
         to approach her target and handle them with confidence.  She
         can take care of herself.  She has also been known to use
         her sling a few times.  Z'leyra tends to use magic more than
         most here it seems.  But her new found armor and sword may
         be changing her into a warrior.  She also has more magical
         items than probably the entire party has.  She is our most
         skilled healer and a good cook as well!" [He pauses for a brief
         moment] "It will take time to learn everyone's abilities and
         weakness.  Some are dependence on this or that as a major
         drawback.  Some are over confidence.  While others are
         complete confidence in their own skills.  Give it time and
         you'll be able to defend or help others in battle.  No one
         in this group is fearful to face battle so don't be surprised
         by that in the future."

       [Time: Evening.]

       [About 4 hours pass after the giant combat.  Maybe 6-8 miles away
        from the scavenger area and the party makes camp.  After dinner
        or rations are made Fremea finds a quiet spot.  She knows that
        going in this Chaos domain forest could be dangerous so she stays
        within sight of the camp.  She places her bow and 4 arrows on
        the ground and goes through the ritual to dedicate them with some
        spell it seems.  She notices a slight aura around the objects and
        feels the spells and dedications took effect.  She rejoins the
        party after placing the objects in place on her horse or body.]

       [At the same time Kiet is seen taking his long length of rope
        and cutting it into smaller segments for some purpose.]

       [Arawn and Fremea as the last few nights spend more time together
        as a group.  Allies in sidh and situation it seems.  By their
        nation and race they become closer in training and friendship.]

       [Ben'dar and Sven talk of great battles into the night and drink
        the last of Sven's personal ale stock.]

       [Caladan falls asleep fast this night.]

       [Chion listens to Sven talk to learn more about him as well
        as spending time with Kiet as both have ties being a sailor.]

       [Raban spends time with Z'leyra talking over past things and
        events while Unali sits quietly and listens but talks if
        she deems it worthy.  Raban finds her quiet mood and nature
        thoughtful and intriguing.  Most women Raban has dealt with
        are those who seek gold and power.  But these two seem quiet
        different.  Z'leyra seems to seek to help others even to the
        point of opening a healing school one day not as a profit
        making business but to help society.  Then Unali seems to want
        to help the greater good rather than seek power and glory.
        Sure she is a strong ally it seems with a person called Duke Aren.
        Raban hears the comments in the tavern during the assassination
        attempt that seems years ago.  A duke is surely a powerful man
        but she helps from the sidelines doing the dirty work.  A lady
        not afraid to get into the wet work that men do.  A most interesting
        woman indeed.  Raban at times seems to stare as she sharpens her
        daggers in a rhythmic manner.]

       [As the night draws on Sven stands.]

       Sven: "Tomorrow we seek our destination.  The people of these
         lands are depending on each of you to figure out this danger
         and best deal with it.  We do not know what dangers we face
         or the problems that lie there.  We only know that this could
         be a great mystery of power and a great threat.  I have confidence
         that this threat will be dealt with if it comes to it."

       [Sven motions for Chion to join him and both walk a few feet into
        the dark woods to talk quietly.]

       Sven: "Elder Ki'ama inform you how to use the staff to let him
         know your in a position to let him view or at least sense
         the situation?" [Chion nods but Sven doesn't seem to wait
         for the answer as it seems more rhetorical.] "Use it so he can
         at least get a sense of what is going on.  The staff I'm told
         works both ways.  I can't tell you how much this castle thing
         could be a threat to our lands.  if it brings new magic or
         great threats you must deal with it as you see fit.  If it
         can fly it can be moved.  I say move it to the ocean and sink
         it and destroy it completely.  I fear no one should have it
         as a base of operations.  it is too much of a temptation.  If
         the castle is harmless then maybe it should be destroyed as
         well after we can learn more from it.  We need to know why
         it came here and the path it took and why it ended p where
         it did over the Chaos domain.  I fear the answers will not
         be good at all." [The tall viking looks at Chion square in
         the eyes with the flicker of the campfire in his eyes.] "I
         also know you.  You might see this as your own personal house
         or base of operations.  You must realize that could lead
         to a threat to you and a shift of balance.  Others would see
         it as a bad thing.  They'll jump at the chance to do something.
         I can't allow that and you must know that.  The peace here
         in the lands is very delicate and I seek what the High Elder
         seeks in the long run."

       [With that he waits for any reply and then leaves hoping Chion
        takes it as a warning of friendship and not a threat.  Sven
        would hate to duel Chion this night.  But Sven knows it would
        offend Ki'ama to hear of this and that isn't good.  So Sven has
        a good card up his sleeve of safety.]

       [That night the camp sleeps with sentries posted well.  Nothing
        occurs that night except a chilly breeze.]

                        -------------------

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands

       [Time: Sunrise.]

       [The camp begins to pack up quietly knowing that today will likely
        be a great challenge.   Some could die or be greatly injured today.
        As breakfast is made final pack up is done and the party sets
        out east.]

       [Almost two hours later the party stops.  Sven pulls out his
        magical scanning device to locate the castle.  It is tied into
        the device the previous wizard dropped at the castle.  Sven
        and the group circle around the forest for what seems like 45
        minutes and then finally Sven seems to get a nice homing location.
        Finally Sven pockets the device and dismounts.]

       [Time: 9:15am]

       [It seems like only 5 miles since the campsite.  The party
        could've just camped here last night but one never knows what
        might happen.]

       [The party doesn't see much through the trees.  But Fremea finds
        the sky is cloudy.  Making location of this castle difficult.
        But Sven reports it is directly above them and gives a rough
        estimate of its distance - around 9.3 miles give or take 50
        feet.  Fremea notices some dark clouds out eastward likely
        coming from the ocean.  Maybe a mid-afternoon storm brewing.
        The temperature is cool today in the '60s and its bound to be
        far colder up there.]

       [Sven dismounts and ties up his horse.]

       Sven: "As Ki'ama suggested its best to leave the horses here.
         Tying ropes together will allow Chion to teleport you guys
         back if you find yourself falling.  I suspect there is no
         danger there.  But horses couldn't be tied up and they'd just
         panic and die from the falling itself.  So take what you
         need with you.  When do you leave?"

        Sven: "I still don't believe a castle can fly.  I bet you guys
          will just get up there and find some place a cloud walker
          lives on a stable cloud and no castle at all!"

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: Raban/Kiet languages added.  Remember v2 has it not max
            level but starting level now.  This means a basic Em level
            ability.

        GM: Two more language slots are out there for Ma 1 and Ma 2
            If folks wish to use them let me know.

        GM: Chion this is your gig on teleport.  Let me know when you
            want to go.  You could go right away or wait a short while.

        GM: I need to know what things are taken and what is left behind.
            If there is something you think I might forget you might
            bring mention it.  Like a magic item or such.  I'll assume
            if its small enough its automatically bought unless stated
            below.  Since below gear isn't normally carried in the past.
            I assume horse and camping stuff like that is left behind.
            Something odd like shovel if not stated won't be taken.
            As an example.

            Ben'dar - Assume take all standard weapons.
                      What about torches, ropes?

            Z'leyra - You should probably take Corona attached to
                      your arm since winds won't be known till you
                      get there.  Unless you have better idea.

            Arawn - Take buckler?  Assume standard weapons.

            Raban - Assume normal gear but do you take your instruments?

            Kiet - Assume take everything but camping related items?

            Chion - Take battle axe or sword? Assume other normal stuff?

            Fremea - Take everything but camping gear?

            Unali - Assume wearing chainmail, Take which Helm?
                    Take shield?  Take bow? Take scimitar?

            Z'leyra - We can chat on what you take and not take in ICQ
                      next week or so.

        GM: As of this morning Ma 2 (May 2) all characters are at 100%
            health/hpv.

        GM: Mana Status -

                Player         Status [of full casting ability]
                Raban                   92%
                Kiet                    74%
                Chion                   94%
                Fremea                  56%

            If not listed above then at 100%

        GM: Energy Level Status - All at 100% except

               Player     Energy Level
               Chion          86%      [Poison effects still it seems]

        GM: Plans - Monday I'll do the teleport up.  I'll then report
            initial findings and any events.  We'll be moving quickly
            after that.  So this is your last chance for final preparations
            to be done this weekend.  Chion should have no problem
            teleporting folks so casting magic to help yourself or
            such might just waste mana but up to you.  Some are low
            on mana as is. :)  If you do take your horse let me know.
            I'll have to see what all Chion can take in one trip.
            If horses it'll likely take 2 trips.  I believe Arawn
            and Unali were the only ones to bring cold weather clothing. :)