[pnpgm] Game update #24 - File #64 - Q&A With Assassin

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Feb 19 08:55:03 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
     Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #24 in sequence (file #64)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions on assassin]
          While waiting on Fremea's response Chion takes out his
          kitchen knife.

          "You know, friend, I have been doing this for a long long
          time. And it rarely involves this kind of thing.

          So I may not be as good at it as you will eventually come to
          hope I was." And with that he will cut off a pinky, to see if
          the regeneration is still in effect or not.

          "Well, that little piggy is out to market. Four more and you
          become "lefty, the vagabond." (resting back in his chair he
          will look at Fremea to see if she is grossed out or not) You
          know, you don't have to be here now if you don't want to be."

          He will prepare to see how strong this guy's mind is by starting t
          o cast an illusion. The illusion will be a hammer he will use to
          further torture the guy with.

          (also, yes, Chion knows the a fascination spell might be faster,
          but he knows that Fremea has some "pent up anger" at humans
          that he should help her deal with...

          in a balanced way, this is not only torture, but counseling...
          and Chion's mind goes on... smiling)
        GM: Ack.

               ---------------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          As Z'leyra watches, she hopes that Chion had overheard Unali's
          comment and will choose to bring the assassin back for the proper
          authorities to deal with. She is fine with the party taking
          charge and dealing with such situations when out adventuring,
          but does not want to step on the toes of the Marentian power
          structure - which apparently has a crew who specialize in
          dealing with this particular type of situation.
        GM: Ack.

               ---------------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban looks about and decides he better be prepared to leave.
          He walks over to the bartender.] Raban: "I am sorry but I do
          not think I will be finishing the entertainment I had planned
          for the day. It is best I gather my things and leave at least
          for a few days." [Afterward, Raban goes about gathering his
          instruments from the stage and fetching his other equipment.]

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Maren City, Chion's House]
         [Time: 8:23am]

         [Chion examines the assassin from his chair as he rests and
          as Fremea stands nearby.  For the first time he studies
          the man up and down.  A well built man of typical physical
          bearing for his job.  His nose looks like its been broken
          once or twice.  He has a nasty scar on the side of his
          neck that looks like its from a quick cut that never healed.
          Chion recalls all the prisoners he has had or for that
          matter the party has had.  The party hasn't much luck over
          the last few months.  From the prisoners in Cloud Base on
          Clima killed during questioning by a mysterious shadow creature
          to prisoners in the plains, Ezam's castle and elsewhere.
          It seems fate and the gods don't want the party to have
          answers to simple questions.  Chion hopes this time there
          isn't some divine will or last ditch death for this guy.
          Having heard the man's words in the bar about this guy
          being important for some other reason tends to make him
          leery on torture but it has to be done for many reasons.
          Chion glances to Fremea and back at the man.  He stands
          and goes to the water basin and grabs his kitchen knife.
          It would be bad to ruin such a nice blade.]

         [Chion figures while she waits to respond she may be leery
          to act as a new member to this group.  What will the others
          think or do?  Chion recalls how Thig would act he liked this
          sort of thing a more psychological torture.  The whole thing
          about scaring Climan sailors threatening to feed them to
          his dogs got some to talk.  Course there is still some debate
          if a finger or two wasn't fed to his dogs.. Chion smirks
          recalling the time then approaches the assassin and pulls his
          chair closer to sit facing the assassin.]

         Chion: "You know, friend, I have been doing this for a long
           long time. And it rarely involves this kind of thing.  So I
           may not be as good at it as you will eventually come to hope
           I was."

         [He twirls the sharp blade in his hand and runs the tip of the
          blade against the man's cheek.  Then he goes around to the
          rear and grabs one of the man's hands and his small finger.
          He then braces and with a forceful shove cuts off the small
          finger.  Blood splatters to Chion's floor as the finger
          falls to the ground.  The man jerks up in his chair and
          gives a muffled cry of pain, more shock, and grits his
          teeth in the gag.]

         Chion: "Well, that little piggy is out to market. Four more and
           you become " lefty, the vagabond."

         [Chion looks at the finger and sees it slowly clots and a stub
          of a small finger seems to form.  The low level effect of
          the spell may not grow the finger back fully or it may just
          take some time.  Chion goes back to his chair and rests holding
          the bloody knife dangling from his lap.  Chion all the while
          going back to his chair eyes Fremea to see her reaction.  She
          doesn't even squirm to the bloody knife or finger behind the
          man on the ground.  Barely a eye blink as if she is used to
          such things or at least has a strong constitution.  Chion
          turns and speaks softly.]

         Chion: "You know, you don't have to be here now if you don't
           want to be."

         [Chion's smiles returns as he stares at the man.  His eyes have
          watered and sweat forms on his neck from the shock of the
          cut.  But his eyes continue to stare straight ahead either
          in defiance or ignorance.]

         [Chion begins to wave a hand and cast an illusion spell onto
          the man but nothing happens.  Either the spell failed or the
          man's defense is too high.]

         [After a few seconds Fremea walks over to the man and ungages
          him.  Chion raises an eyebrow surprised its early for the
          question and answer session.  Fremea eyes the man and
          studies the man's neck for the vein on his neck.  It seems
          to be slowing down showing he has a tolerance for pain but
          not shock, as most humans do.  Fremea turns and returns
          along side Chion.  She begins to ask questions.]

         Fremea: "I have questions that you will answer truthfully and
           specifically to me,

           1. What is your name, the one you go by that others use and
           your full real name?"

         Man: "Kel. Kel Chel."

         Fremea: "2. Who is your contact that hired you for the last job?"

         Kel: "I have never been hired for a job."

         Fremea: "3. Why did you assassinate Unali? What is the purpose
           behind it?"

         Kel: "So she is dead then?" [he smirks] "She took down my
           associates so I sought to take her down."

         Fremea: "4. Have you ever killed any children?"

         Kel: "Children?" [He considers this as if checking his mental
           notes.] "Yes.  Its business."

         [Chion wonders why this particular question? An interesting
          random question.]

         Fremea: "5. Where is your base of operations, where you operate
           out of?"

         Kel: "I no longer have one thanks to the dagger bitch."

         Fremea: "6. How do I safely enter your base? Passwords, traps,
           and whatever else might be hidden?"

         Kel: "Seek the city guards its their property now."

         [Chion's smile seems to fade just a small bit.  Could it
          be that easy?  Revenge causes men to be desperate and
          desperation causes men to have death wishes.  The answers
          come so easy and yet in past party interrogations they
          never came.  The extremes makes him dizzy.  This one talks
          but others die.  This must be his lucky day.  Chion twirls
          the bloody knife in his hand all the fun of torture seems to
          have been ruined.]

         [Kel just stares forward past Chion toward the door's general
          direction as if waiting for death or the next question.]

                        -----------------------

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Sivas, Marentia, Green Eye Tavern.
         [Time: 8:23am]

         [Z'leyra puts away her goblet and bezoar stone in her
          satchel.  As Raban and Ben'dar move the table back to its
          original position and readjust plates and mugs, Z'leyra
          grabs Fremea's bag and puts it near her satchel so no one
          snatches it.  Z'leyra leans against the wall and studies
          the room waiting for this Jensen fellow so the party
          can move on with its personal business.  On the trip home
          from Clima Suresh Nambler the Marentian spy in Clima had
          hinted around to a organized group in Marentia that works
          behind the scenes.  Z'leyra is sure every civilized society
          has some form of secret service or society to do such
          jobs so the ruling groups can separate themselves from it.
          Z'leyra hopes Chion heard Unali's comments but knows if
          he brings the assassin back here Jensen would ask questions.
          The next hour could be tricky.  He is too far to contact
          and warn.]

         [Arawn finds all this intrigue interesting.  In the Upper World
          such things were rare aside from court intrigue.  Intrigue
          among individuals or nations were unheard of.  Gods simply
          knew the truth most times.  But even gods liked the gossip
          and intrigue in the rumor mills of court life.  It keep the
          "normal folk" docile and distracted.  Here all this stuff is
          the opposite.  Seems intrigue is everywhere.  He has not
          meet this Duke Aren guy Unali mentions but he must be a
          mighty powerful man in this nation.  Maybe humans can learn
          from the Sidh. Sidh tend not to be so gossip and power
          mad as petty humans.]

         [Ben'dar having had his fun with the guards turns to help
          clean up the mess.  He considers Micah's last words about
          one of his guards.  Maybe a background check or one of
          those fancy truth spells might be in order.  Maybe he
          should warn the Steward.]

         [Unali wonders how the assassin found her.  His street
          contacts might be good or maybe gold just buys information.
          Her unique black clothing and style is not hard to miss
          in this area.  She hopes Chion heard her words.  If
          Chion returns when Jensen is here it could open a mess
          of questions she and the party might not be able to
          answer.  Then what? Escape?  Fight?]

         [Raban looks about and decides he better be prepared to leave.
          He walks over to the bartender.]

         Raban: "I am sorry but I do not think I will be finishing the
           entertainment I had planned for the day. It is best I gather
           my things and leave at least for a few days."

         Whet: "That is sad to hear.  The evening crowd will be big.
           But with all this attention they might stay away.  Seems
           like every few days a new bar fight causes the guards to
           come and both my patrons..." [He mumbles as he wipes the
           bar and walks down seemingly to talk to himself.]

         [Raban heads to the stage and gathers up his instruments.
          As he does he glances at the Baron talking to the messenger.
          The Baron seems to ignore Raban all together.  Raban
          wonders if the guards will let him go.]

                        -----------------------

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Somewhere out there....]
         [Time: Morning...]

         [The morning sun shines on a warm marketplace as a man straightens
          up his gear on a donkey who looks bored.  The man places a bag
          of wood strips onto the donkey's saddle.  Down the way 2 men
          glance occasionally at the man in the busy marketplace full of
          30-40 people doing their errands.]

         Man 1: "Is that him?"

         Man 2: "Yes."

         Man 1: "So he stumbled onto our meeting in the warehouse and
           you just let him leave?"

         Man 2: "He seemed to not understand the situation.  We didn't
           want to make a scene."

         Man 1: "Yeah well she wants him watched he may not be as
           stupid as he looks."

         Man 2: "Right.  I'll take care of it."

         Man 1: "You better.  She wants no trouble."

         [With that Man #1 walks down the alley as the other man stays
          and watches the passerby's go back and forth.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Friday

        GM: Arawn - Didn't get your post.  Guess you can include it
              in next email.  Never got to Mailing list archives either.

            Ben'dar - Was the joke in last update OOC for you? :)

            Chion - Illusion failed.  Repeat? If so how do you use
              the hammer?  Any questions?

            Fremea - Any more questions?

        GM: Updates for 2/22, 25, 29.  After that the following week
            will be no update (Mon/Fri).  I was hoping to get to the
            adventure introduction by at least the 29th update. So
            folks can plan what they want to do and bring/take.
            Introduction will be the delivery of the message scroll.
            But if questioning of the prisoner takes longer than
            we can do it after I  return.  But this is not a rush
            to get it done.  Its interesting to see. :)

        GM: If I do not get any emails from you guys, a reminder.
            Best policy is to post always to the mailing list.
            That way you can see it on the archives of the list
            and then when I get to it on my game website.  That
            verifies it has gotten to me.  If it didn't get to
            the archive its didn't get to the list.  If its
            private email that could be other issues.  Its not
            rare that I don't get all emails.  It happens.
            Apparently never got one of Fremea's last week.
            Many reasons go into this and it could be hit and
            miss.  So best policy is list.  you could even
            CC me a personal copy.  I will tend to Ack a personal
            email but may get busy and forget.  I generally
            always add public posts to the game site same night
            though may take a few minutes or hours.