[pnpgm] Game Update #94a - File #508 - Raban Blesses Arawn

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Dec 5 19:11:51 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #94a in sequence (file #508)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <looks like people don't want any blessings. A few days of boost
          can be quite useful? Oh well, its their decision. If anyone
          changes their mind, be sure to post it before we run into more
          troubles.>

          Raban is a bit upset over the door trap. His new friends seem
          quite skilled but they have no means to counter such things? If
          that means the magic is too strong then the Angelica may not be
          enough protection for anyone, though it will always make them
          more resistant to magic. Going through the walls could work at
          need, but surely these mages thought of that too and did something
          nasty for anyone trying it. So they need to out wit mages they
          have never met and do something not thought of. Perhaps muscles
          can win as few would expect a giant to rip a door off? Or would
          they, as such could be summoned by magic... And why did the young
          mage kill himself like that, did he not know there are ways to
          heal any damage? At least I am sure I was told such is possible
          though rare. His sacrifice may have saved us as he intended, but
          we will never know if it was indeed needed. May his gods welcome
          him for his noble sacrifice for others he barely knew. Raban's
          body followed the others as he carried the body effortlessly, his
          mind busy trying to understand the recent events. Do his friends
          risk so much for treasure of for knowledge? Its seems a mixed lot.
          Raban has never worried much about treasure, it is simple to earn
          whatever he needs and most his wealth is spent entertaining ladies
          or helping the needy. But does he need something protective and of
          extreme value to survive such missions? Just how do you determine
          how much you should spend on such things when that wealth could
          aid so many people? Armor like he has seen here could feed a
          village for years... His heart does not give him a clear answer,
           sometimes it must be worth the cost.

          <Had to write something. Raban's actions have been fine so far. He
          will follow others leads until they place someone at risk where
          Raban thinks he can help. Raban does not know how to detect magic
          traps but could spot mechanical ones in some cases or other hidden
          things.>
        GM:  Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Just had some computer
          problems for a while that made it difficult to get online.

          [From the previous post in reply to Raban and Blessings]
          “Thank you, Raban. It seems Miryan favors you for there is much
          power in your spell.” Smiling his thanks Arawn seemed to ponder
          something for a second before speaking. “You have offered
          Blessings to us in the past and I think, considering the danger
          we seem to be facing, that it might be wise to accept it now. If
          you are still willing that is. Strengthening the power of will
          and life force could serve to empower my casting ability in case
          such might still be needed.” If Raban is willing Arawn will
          accept a Blessing to boost Willpower and Constitution. He doesn’t
          want to tax Raban too much so will avoid asking for further
          Blessings for the time being.

          Arawn smiled thankfully when Ben’dar offered a less than
          aggressive approach to dealing with the guard. Unfortunately it
          was to no avail other than to lead to the discovery and rescue
          of the prisoners. As they were led out of their cells and
          attempts to communicate their stories made Arawn tended to their
          wounds. As he did so he could not help but remain wary of them,
          though he did not show this through any obvious action. It would
          seem that A’kril wrongly held them, if their stories were to be
          believed, but Arawn knew that if these men were of the evil or
          guilty sort they would likely lie as they told their tale.
          Normally he would have reached out to them with his powers to
          determine the truth but taxed as he was he chose to refrain for
          the time being. When there was time for the truth to be determined
          he could then work on the possibility of healing the men and
          regrowing the wizard’s lost tongue.

          As the investigation continued Arawn couldn’t help but feel a
          deep sadness for the violation that likely occurred within the
          dungeon. He did not know what the morality compass was in relation
          to those who currently dwelt here but it did not seem good.
          Evidence was piling up but Arawn still wondered if A’kril were
          geased to dwell here in a particular function. With A’kril’s
          death he might never know. As the others debated the next step
          Arawn began to study the walls for any kind of secret panel.
          While he did so something seemed to gnaw at him, that same
          feeling that he was missing or forgetting something. It had been
          growing since arriving here and he decided to take a moment and
          meditate in hopes of recalling whatever it was. After several
          minutes he noticed the silent magician step to the side and
          begin to write vigorously. Breaking his concentration the druid
          was about to head his way when he saw the man rush towards the
          vault door. Before Arawn could raise himself from the floor the
          man lay dead at the groups feet. Arawn caught sight of the
          multiple auras that escaped the chamber and did his best to
          separate, identify, and then track them. (If possible- How many?
          What? And Where did they go?)

          Arawn prayed for Zwang’s soul. Sorry for what had happened but
          he couldn’t help but remain slightly suspicious. Somethings just
          didn’t seem to fit. If the man only knew one spell, a
          non-combative one at that, then how did A’kril know that he was
          a magician and why cut his tongue out for such a spell? Also,
          how did this man know about the magics on the vault door? When
          Chion finally read the man’s final message it did much to relieve
          the druid’s concerns but he could not help but wonder as to those
          unanswered questions.

          “It is sad to see this man depart this world in such a fashion.
          Perhaps when this is over we might be able to offer him another
          chance at life for this sacrifice. We should finish up here
          quickly and search the rest of the castle before disabling it.
          If such still needs to be done. Elementals power this place.
          We’ll need to identify where they are housed and find a way to
          release them if we are to bring this castle down from the sky.”
          He looked around and then back toward the stairs.

          “We should head back to Z’leyra and drop off the prisoners and
          items for the time being. If someone will help me I would like
          to bring Zwang back as well.”

          Arawn will take a moment to look over the two scrolls and attempt
          to read their text.

          As for items, Arawn would like to look over the statues found in
          hopes of discovering any writings, markings, or hidden
          compartments.

          He’ll also look over the flag’s design and then study the coins.
          Can he identify the metals? Are there markings on them to indicate
          origin?

          If no one else wants them Arawn is interested in any Elvish
          tools. He has a sword so will pass that on to others in the party.

          Are any of the gems of enhanceable quality?

          Just trying to catch up on things right now but will be
          interested in looking through the books/scrolls in greater depth
          so will likely send another post soon.
        GM: Ack. Answers below.

                        --------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [*** Arawn's part deleted]

          Raban smiles happily as he replies to Arawn, "I love Miryan and
          she returns my love, I can feel it in my heart and soul. But
          sometimes I am not smart or wise enough to do what is right and
          she shows me her displeasure in some manner. I have not done my
          best for everyone here and in that I am sorry for my failures. I
          am unused to aiding men, it is far easier for me to help women.
          I am learning as I go, trying to find ways I can help more. My
          magic is quite limited though I am of moderate skill with what I
          know. I have not had a chance to expand on that knowledge. That
          failure has left me with few ways to help, only Blessings would
          seem of use right now. But they will serve people well for a few
          days. I do not feel any censure from my Goddess, so I should have
          no problems Blessing you or even a few others."

          Raban pauses for a moment in thought before he continues, "You
          are sure you need both boosts to life? They will help you survive
          and aid magic use if your body and soul cannot handle much mana
          normally. It will need further magic to build up your new
          capability, though Angelica can do that."

          Raban reaches deep into his heart and soul for the connection to
          his goddess, "Miryan, I beg you to grant further aid to our druid
          ally and Bless him with the capability to increase his life force
          far beyond its norm." <Followed by the castings of Blesses at max
          el for Will and Con. Not sure on mana supply at this point but
          should have more than enough. I assume Raban has increased spell
          success with willing subject so low failure chance?>
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Vote]
          Chion votes to go up the courtyard stairs to explore the next
          floor.
        GM: Ack.  Opps.  Bit too late.  Figured had a couple weeks to
            vote. :)

                        --------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn listened to the concern in Raban's voice as he discussed
          his percieved shortcomings.  When the bard was done the druid
          looked him in the eye and replied in a gentle voice.

          "You should not be hard on yourself, Raban. You have done what
          you can for others without asking for anything in return. Your
          heart is good and I think you have made your choices based on
          what you have learned. As you said, you are still learning and
          we must be judged on what we know and not on what we have yet
          to learn."

          In reponse to Raban's comment towards the Blessings Arawn
          replied, "I can easily call upon more magics if I am strengthened.
           You have restored some of my energy and I can see to the
           remainder if need be unless there is more Angelica to be shared.
           I would not normally ask but with the dangers we face and Z'leyra
           and Kiet elsewhere I think the more magical options we have the
           better the chances for our group. Thank you, again."

           As for Arawn's vote- Upstairs from the main foyer is his top
           choice.

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 11:27am - Earlier in the basement...]

        [Raban shakes his head at the death and the most recent events in
         this dungeon level.  Could this apprentice be so stupid or so
         wise to deal with the door?  It is clear the party seems to know
         their way to avoid danger but when it comes to preventing them
         the party may be lacking.  Sure Z'leyra can zap most wards and end
         them but with her tapped out the party is weakened. At least the
         Sidh can see the magic before those who can't activate it.  That
         is a major plus most groups do not have.]

        [Raban mentions the blessings again as the team start to explore
         the vault room.  After giving the dead apprentice a quick prayer
         Arawn replies back to Raban.]

        Arawn: "Thank you, Raban. It seems Miryan favors you for there is
          much power in your spell".[Smiling his thanks Arawn seemed to
          ponder something for a second before speaking.] "You have offered
          Blessings to us in the past and I think, considering the danger
          we seem to be facing, that it might be wise to accept it now. If
          you are still willing that is. Strengthening the power of will
          and life force could serve to empower my casting ability in case
          such might still be needed."

        [As Arawn waits for the blessing if it comes he glances at the other
         2 barbarians.  They are clearly out of place yet Arawn still felt
         mistrust of them and the dead apprentice.  Humans can be sneaky
         and plant evil ones with good prisoners.  Then the apprentice died
         and his mistrust waned a bit.  If only there was more time to get
         to know him and the others.  But time seems of the essence here
         and the group must move on soon.]

        Raban: [Smiling]: "I love Miryan and she returns my love, I can
[...]

        Raban: "Miryan, I beg you to grant further aid to our druid ally
          and Bless him with the capability to increase his life force far
          beyond its norm."

        [Keeping distance from the vault in case its purified ground the
         magic is prepared for casting.  Raban places his right hand upon
         Arawn's chest over his heart.  Knowing that is where the blessing
         will be the most improved into his heart and soul. He casts the
         magic and speaks the words as his left hands does the priestly
         gestures over the mind, eyes, and chest. Almost immediately Arawn
         feels the pulse of energy go into him.  For only a second did he
         see an aura indicating that the Angelica may have boosted his
         defense and just engulfed the magic he needed and wanted.  Arawn
         feels the effects within only a second or two after the spells
         are cast and nods in gratitude.]

        [Arawn listened to the concern in Raban's voice as he discussed his
         perceived shortcomings.  When the bard was done the druid looked
         him in the eye and replied in a gentle voice.]

        Arawn: "You should not be hard on yourself, Raban. You have done
          what you can for others without asking for anything in return.
          Your heart is good and I think you have made your choices based
          on what you have learned. As you said, you are still learning
          and we must be judged on what we know and not on what we have
          yet to learn."

          [Arawn pauses having thought on the matter of magical strength
          and Raban's concern.] "I can easily call upon more magics if I
          am strengthened. You have restored some of my energy and I can
          see to the remainder if need be unless there is more Angelica to
          be shared. I would not normally ask but with the dangers we face
          and Z'leyra and Kiet elsewhere I think the more magical options
          we have the better the chances for our group. Thank you, again."

        [As the vault is explored Arawn takes careful thought to examine
         certain items quickly.  He notices even his breath isn't heard in
         the quiet magically silenced room.  It becomes almost creepy to
         be in the room for too long.  As if one might forget to breath.
         Arawn takes careful look at the two scrolls that look ancient
         but is unable to read the text that seems to match the other
         texts found from the library.  Arawn takes both statues out
         of the room in order to tap them to inspect for hidden areas
         but finds none.  They both seem solid.  The stone one is 4 foot
         10 inches and looks to be a man in robes.  The wooden one is only
         6 inches tall yet weighs 16 indicating thick weighted wood. It
         seems to be some creature with two hind legs, a small tail that
         might whip back and forth.  A head like a horse almost and two
         front arms or legs that are only a tenth the length of the rear
         ones.  It is rearing up in a standing pose.  But there is no
         text, runes or anything else on the statues that can gleam anything
         else of value for Arawn.  The flag is nothing of use to him only
         showing a few symbols for some nation Arawn doesn't know about or
         has heard about.  The coins seem to be mostly the metal forms and
         the symbols decayed or eroded way off.  The few coins that do
         have markings or some form of identification only has men's faces
         on one side and some form of rune or metaphysical symbol on
         the book.  But nothing leads Arawn to the quick study of anything
         that could help to identify them.  The symbols could lead to basic
         astrology from ancient days.  Only a scholar and time might be
         able to figure it out.  There is no clear cut Elf or missing
         link that Arawn's knowledge seems to conclude from the items.
         Arawn claims the Elf tools if no one else wishes to take them.
         Arawn checks over the gems and jewels but the only large one
         seems to have some flaws.]

        [Each person takes a brief or long view at the vault items and finds
         some interesting items but mostly are surprised to see not a great
         amount.  A dragon's lair would have 3-4 times more stuff than this.
         Maybe wherever this place came from they had to flee so fast their
         wealth couldn't be obtained fast enough.]

        [Arawn thinks back to the last few seconds before the vault was
         opened and tries to recall if he could've prevented or stopped the
         needless death.  His expertise is magic sensory detection not
         secret panels.  But no telling if one still exists.  Likely not
         though one existed since A'kril or whoever would want to kill
         anyone entering regardless.  He tries to recall the auras to
         wonder if they were lost souls or something but knows they were
         not.  Simple magical auras nothing more.  Of course he couldn't
         see such things as souls swirling about.  Just the two auras that
         abound the hallway of the abandon and silence spells.  Arawn
         glances at the apprentice and still feels sorry for him but a bit
         of suspicion still exists.  Could he have been controlled to do
         what he did or was he just insane or stupid? From what Chion says
         from the scroll though it sounded like he was sane and just saw
         possible danger in the ways the party was acting around the door.
         To regain his honor he saw a chance and took it.  Talking to no
         one in particular Arawn speaks of the apprentice.]

        Arawn: "It is sad to see this man depart this world in such a
          fashion. Perhaps when this is over we might be able to offer him
          another chance at life for this sacrifice. We should finish up
          here quickly and search the rest of the castle before disabling
          it. If such still needs to be done. Elementals power this place.
          We'll need to identify where they are housed and find a way to
          release them if we are to bring this castle down from the sky."
          [He looked around and then back toward the stairs.]

          "We should head back to Z'leyra and drop off the prisoners and
          items for the time being. If someone will help me I would like to
          bring Zwang back as well."

        [Soon the team heads toward the main room with the dead apprentice,
         1 guard prisoner and 2 barbarians.  Kiet and Z'leyra are quickly
         informed of the events that happened in the basement.  Z'leyra
         reports her study of the books but so far little has been learned.
         Though she believes the inventory list should be critical to
         solving the text, it just will take time to learn.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Next message.

*****
Weights are in pounds.