[pnpgm] Game update #25 - File #116 - Goblin Combat Turn 1: Phase 1+2

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Mar 7 08:06:29 CET 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 225 in sequence (file #116)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          ***Earlier...
             Ben'Dar grins back at Xian.  "Thanks."

          ***Current encounter...
             When Ben'Dar is awakened, he comes out of his tent quickly
             with his pike.  If he sees an enemy, he'll attack it.  If
             he can't tell where the enemy is, he'll move instictively
             to the east, toward the horses, to make sure they are safe
             and un-stolen.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          As the group settled in the cabin Arawn offered his suggestions
          to the gathered, his voice and demeanor thoughtful and somber.
          Most of the those gathered seemed unsure of how to respond to
          his latter ideas but Farseeker spoke up, his distaste apparent
          in his face and speech.

          [Farseeker comments on dark magic...]

          Arawn turned to look the mighty warrior in the eyes, his own
          [mpassive for a moment to be quickly replaced with a slight
          and rather queer cast. His voice remained quiet but seemed to
          now be tinged with an odd, though not unpleasant, quality.
          Perhaps quizzical or... slight humor?

          "Dark magic... I don't know about that, but it is dangerous.
           So many want to label magic as good or evil, to see it as
           tainted by the power of the Sidh or Chaos or Law. I have
           never felt that magic is intrinsically aligned. It existed,
           pure and untainted, since before any force came into existence.
           I am of the opinion that magic in and of itself remains this
           way, the taint comes in the source that channels it to most
           practioners. The idea of magic being good or evil, or what
           have you, comes from the channels, usually gods or demons and
           such but also the very Realms themselves, that tap the raw
           energy and then channel it to the magician, flavoring the
           magical force with their own essence.

           Unfortunately most mages must use some form of channel to
           funnel the energy to them and as such cast magic that reeks
           of alignment. Most magicians must use tools to help facilitate
           their casting- words, gestures, components and such- to use the
           power of sympathy to tap into the channel to access the power
           of magic. Since different channels have predilictions for
           various effects magicians find that performing acts that
           appeal to the channel or allying themselves with it helps to
           facilitate the act of spellcasting. Death magics for example
           seem to be favored by forces of Chaos and thus such magics are
           usually channelled by magicians that are allied with Chaos or
           at the very least may tap into Chaos sources to power the magic.
           But there are exceptions as wizards and priests of law have been
           known to summon the spirits of dead, using different channels.
           A spell can be called upon by radically different forces,
           through radically different channels, yet ultimately have the
           same effect. I would choose to tap into the raw, unmolested
           energy of magic if possible and keep it as ' pure' as I
           possibly can.

           "So if you are wondering if I am aligned with the forces of
           Chaos, most definitely not. As for the magic of necromancy, I
           understand your concern, but in my eyes, in my hands, I do
           not choose to tap into the forces of Chaos to engender the
           effect. Either way, it was only a suggestion and I leave the
           decision to the group as a whole."

           He was not sure what the others would think, if they would
           believe or support his opinion but he thought it best not to
           upset anyone at the moment. They had just met and trust was
           something that took time. As the group pondered his speech
           Xian stepped forward, speaking calmly in his ear.

           [Xian comments on viewing into the past..]

           Before Arawn had a chance to respond Strie'bog piped in with
           mention of his mothers whereabouts. He considered the value of
           casting the spell and decided it may be best to avoid tempting
           fate for now.

           "Well, since Strie'bog seems to have some idea as to where
           his mother went then perhaps it may be best to simply look for
           her and discover what answers we can then. I will think on it
           a bit more but it would seem that it may not be needed."

           I see that Thig and Xian are training in Forestry. Since Arawn
           would likely notice, if they do not already have an instructor,
           he will offer his services to train them.
        GM: Ack.  Good speech.  Thig/Xian know the skill well at this
          point (especially Thig).  They work off each other giving
          tips and suggestions (why the 2 points instead of 1).  But
          your free to join in and help yes.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra drums and casts Orient Self EL2 on herself.   Then she
          casts Shamanic Speed EL2 and EL3 Dark Sight on herself. After
          that she casts shamanic Invisibility (max EL that she can cast
          in one turn)

          Then she grabs her staff and runs towards the foes.

           [Re: Cabin discussion]
          Z'leyra sighs then says "Chaos wizards who attempt to
          forcefully command the spirits of the dead are doing evil
          in doing so. But Shamans peacefully talking with spirits,
          whether of nature or of the dead is no more evil than my
          talking to you right now."

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Regarding the Centaurs Chion chimes in in his native tounge,
          "Fascinating. They are not Kototh creatures? A mutation of
          horse and man? Very fascinating indeed." Of which most likely
          only one other party member can understand.

          I think when the alarm for goblins goes out Chion will simply
          arm himself with his sai and just go out of his tent. He will
          defend himself but isn't looking to kill all the goblins or
          chase any through the woods at 3 am or anything.

         [Decalis 13th, 104th day since left Marentia, 39th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]
          [Location: Strie'bog's cabin.]

          [During the discussion that night Arawn decides against using
           magic to learn information from the dead bodies or the
           past.  With Strie'bog learning information on his own the
           risks seem too great.  Arawn gives his above speech on
           alignments and magic.]

          Farseeker: "I don't know all that stuff about magic and
            alignments.  I'm a simple warrior.  I believe and trust
            what I can see" [he points to his eyes] "hear" [his
            ears] "taste" [mouth] "touch" [He raises a hand] "and
            best of all what I can hit and kill." [He taps his
            empty sheath since he's sitting at the table.] "You guys
            rely on faith and help from above.  We fighters depend
            on skill and quick thinking.  But I am glad you won't
            pursue the magics in this case."

          Z'leyra: [sighs then says] "Chaos wizards who attempt to
            forcefully command the spirits of the dead are doing evil
            in doing so. But Shamans peacefully talking with spirits,
            whether of nature or of the dead is no more evil than my
            talking to you right now."

          Thig: "This place wouldn't seem right doing that magic here
            I don't think.  I sense peace here.  That magic may
            be evil or good as you say depending on how its used but
            it can open doors to things.  Doors this place...this
            forest may not want.  I think the forest would react
            to this and it would not be fun."

          Trembyl: "I play with magic of extremes.  The elements
            that are hot and cold.  Good and bad are just extremes
            that when looked at from their point of view is always
            good.  Bad is only what others think of it.  A thief
            like our pal Balrog may steal from the rich but give
            to the poor.  Is that bad or good?  Depends on one's
            point of view."

          Xian: "I doubt much info could've been learned.  The key
            was the flying man.  If we had his body I'd say it
            would be worth doing.  But hired thugs like them likely
            don't even know his name."

          [And soon the discussion continues on the philosophy of
           good and evil.  As the night grows on a burial detail
           is eventually made and with torches the bodies are
           buried.  But due to the lateness of the hour Trembyl and
           Xian help in this by using Insubstantial and earth spells
           to bury the bodies in seconds.]

          [Before the bodies are buried they are searched.  Their
           leather armor is ruined so can't be taken.  Both men are
           almost identical in looks.  The bowmen looked to be about
           age 28, 6'10 and about 271 pounds.  The axeman looks younger
           about 24, 6'8 and about 224 pounds.  Both very tall men
           for this area or most men anywhere.]

          Trembyl: "These guys were tall.  Not the usual small hired
            thug you see."

          GM: Items found on both men or their horses.
            Bow, Quiver, 22 Arrows, Dagger x2, Spear,
            Battle Axe, Hand Axe

          GM: Axeman had a small leather bag with 3 Small Jewels
            1. Nearly Flawed, Average Clarity, Emerald, worthless
            2. Minimal Flaws, Average Clarity, Carbuncle, estimated 6.4 SC
            3. Minimal flaws, Brilliant, Tourmaline, estimated 21.6 SC

          GM: Anyone lay treasure claims?  The three horses per Ben'dar
            are taken by the party with them.  Water skins, food
            and clothing are also found on the horses with some bedrolls.
            But nothing else of great value on the horses.

         [Decalis 15th, 106th day since left Marentia, 41st day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]
          [Time: Around 3:58am.]

          [15 Seconds before Thig yells his warning Z'leyra immediately
           wakes up in her tent.  Her brooch warns her of danger that
           is approaching the camp.  She opens her eyes and clears the
           hair from her face.  The camp seems quiet except for the
           crackle of the fire.  She is uncertain of the danger but
           her spell has warned her.  Z'leyra rolls over and nudges
           Xian who is only a couple feet from her sleeping.  Xian
           stirs and mumbles something.]

          Xian: "Not now I'm tired.  Maybe later."

          [Z'leyra rolls her eyes and grabs her drum.  With her foot
           she nudges Xian again to wake him.  She begins to tap
           the drum and speak her shamanic trance spell words.  She
           enters the shamanic trance. She then casts a speed spell
           to increase her movements.  In her heightened speed she
           gathers her clothes and puts her boots on.  She then
           casts Dark Sight to see in the darkness.  As she does
           this she touches slaps a hand onto Xian to wake him and
           to give him the night vision as well.

          Turn 0: Phase 4

          [The goblins meanwhile have smelt the camp and its sidh
           protector.  The goblins being small and agile move almost
           instinctively through the light forest and heavy bushes
           with ease.  The crackle of the fire hides the noise of
           their movement.  The goblins surround the camp and prepare
           for their attack.  But that's when Thig spots one in the
           bushes with the glint of its yellow/white tusk.]

          Thig: "Goblins!"

          [As Thig leaves his high tree limb a arrow misses him by
           mere inches as he hovers in the sky.]

          [On the ground Trembyl looks up to see Thig hover and then
           unsheathes his scimitar ready for action.]

          Turn 1: Phase 1

            [Mana Allocation]

              [Thig allocates mana for a quick spell.]

            [Missile Fire]

              [One arrow flies from the bushes in the south and heads
               up toward Thig but the arrow flies by and misses.]

              [Another arrow seems to fly from an undetermined location
               and heads straight for Trembyl.  The arrow penetrates
               right dead center in his chest throwing him back a foot
               as the shock of the impact.  The head of the arrow
               goes deep and he takes 11 points of damage.]

            [Magic Effect]

              [Thig goes invisible in the air as he casts his spell.]

            [Melee & Movement]

              [Corona wakes up to the yell and takes to the air to
               scout the area.]

              [Z'leyra places her drum on her belt and grabs her
               staff.  She exits the tent quickly.  She scans the
               forest to the south for enemy but even with her
               night vision doesn't seem to see the well hidden
               green goblins.]

              [Thig flies to the center of the camp to get away from
               arrows that might be fired at his previous location.]

              [Farseeker wakes up hearing the alarm.  He grabs his
               chainmail. He begins to put the suit of armor on.
               Being a military person he is trained to put on armor
               face and be ready for action.]

              [Unali wakes up and grabs her helmet and ensures her
               daggers are nearby.]

              [Ben'dar wakes up as well and grabs his Dragon armor to
               put on for combat.]

              [Suddenly from the forest bushes NW of Z'leyra a chittering
               noise is heard "urbhur gat'za!" which must be some goblin
               command to attack?  The goblin then lunges through the
               4 foot bush and heads SE straight for Z'leyra who just
               exited her tent.  The goblin is wearing armor and has
               a spear in his hands.  He thrusts his spear at her but
               fails to hit her.]

              [Trembyl looks down at the arrow in his chest.  As blood
               drips from his chest he places a hand on the arrow. He
               knows if he pulls it out it could cause more damage.  So
               instead he takes both hands and breaks the wooden shaft
               leaving just a small part and the arrowhead in his chest.]

              [Chion wakes up and grabs his sai and his chainmail.  He
               quickly tries to put on his armor.]

              [Boyzdar wakes up to the alarm and stands up.  He begins
               to growl and howl an alarm of his own.]

              [Arawn wakes up and hears the wolf howl.  Fearing danger
               he nudges Strie'bog next to him in the tent to wake
               him up while he grabs his armor to put on.]

              [Suddenly the horde of Goblins move from the forest and
               charge into the camp.]

              [From the bushes north of camp (G3 area) four goblins
               charges south and end up between two tents north of
               the campfire.]

              [From the bushes and trees at O6 area four goblins charge
               into the camp eastward.]

              [From the south V23 area bushes four more goblins head
               due north into the camp.]

              [At the same time the three goblins in the east charge
               west and move between the two groups of horses.]

              [With Arawn nudging him Strie'bog wakes up and hears
               the howl of his friend and snarling of creatures outside.
               He grabs his leather armor and puts it on quickly.]

              [The last to wake up is Xian who grabs his leather armor
               and quickly puts it on.  He wonders if this is a dream
               as well.]
              '

          Turn 1: Phase 2

            [Mana Allocation]

              [Xian and Arawn allocate mana for spells.]

            [Missile Fire]

              [Having been on sentry duty Thig's repeating crossbow
               is already loaded.  He aims it at one of the goblins
               and fires.  He aims at #13 and the dart hits the goblin
               in the chest and the magical crossbow helps with the
               damage doing 7 points.  The goblin falls to the ground
               dead.]

            [Magic Effect]

               [Arawn casts a spell of protection on himself.]

               [Xian casts a invisibility spell and disappears.]

            [Melee & Movement]

               [Corona figures an attack on the creatures could hit
                others so he expands his flight area and enters the
                darkness around the camp...]

               [Z'leyra turns and uses her staff to attack the goblin
                with armor by her.  She whacks the goblin in the
                right shoulder and does 5 points of damage to it but
                it remains standing.]

               [Farseeker finishes putting on his chainmail armor and
                reaches for his great sword.]

               [Unali finishes putting on her chainmail and puts both
                daggers in one hand.]

               [Ben'dar finishes putting on his Dragon hide armor and
                reaches for his pike.]

               [Wounded and bleeding Trembyl turns and charges SW toward
                the north group of goblins.  He knows if they start
                slashing tents there could be big trouble.  He thrusts
                his magical scimitar into the back of the goblin #5 and
                hits doing 8 points of damage.  The goblin falls backward
                dead.]

               [Chion finishes putting on his chainmail as well and
                reaches for his sai.]

               [Boyzdar turns SW and charges goblin #11 he lunges
                and bites the goblin in the arm and shreds the arm
                doing 6 points of damage.  The goblin galls screeching
                to the ground.]

               [Arawn puts on his scale mail and then grabs his
                sword and buckler.]

               [Now the goblins react...

               [Goblin #1 thrusts his spear again at Z'leyra but
                fails to hit.]

               [Goblin #3 and #4 turn back around and attack
                Trembyl.  One uses a spear the other a club.  Both
                hit him in the left and right arms respectively.
                For a total of 3 and 4 points of more wounds.]

               [Goblin #6, 7 and 8 charge and surround Z'leyra they
                wildly bash or thrust their weapons. Goblin #6
                manages to hit Z'leyra in the right arm with his
                spear and does a 2 point wound to her.  The other
                goblins fail to strike as they can't see her.]

               [Goblin #9 heads eastward into camp.]

               [Goblin #10 and #12 move toward the Wolf and bash
                it with Clubs.  One club fails to hit.  But #12's
                club downstrikes the wolf's right front leg and
                something inside it cracks as it does 9 points of
                damage to the wolf.]

               [Goblins #14, 15 and 16 turn their attention to the
                horses and try to quickly untie the horses.]

               [Strie'bog hears his friend yelp in pain and grabs
                his axe bow and shoulders his quiver ready to exit
                the tent.]

               [Xian grabs his war staff and puts on his boots quickly.]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday...

          GM: Z'leyra I know your invisible but the first goblin
            saw the tent flap open and he could see the impression
            in the sand and assumed something was there and just
            swung wildly.  The others joined in and did the same.

          GM: Everyone is awake.  All those in the tents will be
            exiting them on phase 3.  This means you can plan
            your attacks for phase 3.  I still have actions for
            most folks but if you wish to change them or specify
            a specific target let me know.  It took time to gather
            gear, wake and get weapons.

          GM: If map is cluttered use coordinate system.  I can
            remove the trees and bushes if its hard to read.
            I'm not putting dead on the map.  Read the map on
            the website if your email messes up the map so it
            can't be read.

          GM: Sorry for the delay as you can see this is small
            for you guys to read but I had to do alot of prep
            work and math and stuff.  One I'm ready (now) it
            should be alot faster to handle in future.
            I will work on the update Thursday night 10pm so
            this gives you guys 1.5 days.

  [Goblin Encounter Camp Map]  [End of Phase 2]

         1         2         3         4
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__A  1 Hex \ 10 feet
\__/  \__/  \_*/  \__/  \__%% \__/  \_%%% \__/  B  1 Row =  5 feet
/%%%%%%%%\__/%%%%_/*%%%_/  \__/*%%__%%*\%_/  \__C  1 Col =  5 feet
\_%%%*%%*/  \__/  \__%%%\__/  \__/  \__%%%%%_/  D
/ %%%_/  \__/  *__/  \__/* \__/%%%__/  \__/  *__E  @@ = Campfire
\__/  \__/  \%%%  \_%%%%%%_/ *%%%%  \__/  \__/  F  [] = 1 man tent
/ %%%%*  \*_/  \__/  \*%%* \__/  \__/  *__/ %%%_G       2'x6'
\__%%%%%_/  %%%%% \__/  \__/  %%*%% %%%%  \_*/  H  [] = 2 man tent
/ %%%%/  \%%%% \__/  \__/  \_%%%%\__/  %%%/  \__I  []   3'x6.5'
\__/ *\_*/  *__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__*  \_%%% J
/%%%%%/  \__/  \__/[]\dR/  []_%% \_%%%%\__%%%\__K  H = 1 Horse
\*_/  *__/  \_*%  f[] c[]__[] \__/HHH%%%  \__/  L
/  \__/  \__/  \__aZb\__/  \__/  \HHH* \__*  \__M  Tents openings
\_%%%%%__/  \__/  \gh/@@\__/  \%%/nop__/  \_%%% N    Row L opens South
/  %%%%% \_%%%%%__/  i__/  \__/% \HHH %%%_/  \__O    Row Q Opens North
\__/  \__/  %%_/  \__/jW\__/  \__/HHH*_/  \__/  P
/  \_*/  \__/% \__/[] l[]  []_/  %%%%% \__/  \__Q          North
\__%%%%%_/  *__/  \[]/  \__/  \__/%%%__/  \_%%%%R           /|\
/  \__/ %%%%%  \__/  \__/  \%%%% \__/*%%%_/  \__S    West <  *  > East
\__*  \_%%*%%%_/  \_%%%%\__*%%%__/  \_%%% \_*%%%T           \|/
/  \__/  %%**%%\__/  *%%/  \_%%% \__/  \_%%%%%__U          South
\__/  \__/%%%%_/  \__/%%\__/  \__*  \%%%% *__/  V   * = Tree
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678    % = Bush
         1         2         3         4

  Positions -

       Player  Symbol Location         Status
     Arawn       A     [L29]\    In Tent, Awake
     Strie'bog   S     [L29]/    In Tent, Awake
     Ben'dar     B     [Q20]\    In Tent, Awake
     Chion       C     [Q20]/    In Tent, Awake
     Farseeker   F     [Q28]     In Tent, Awake
     Thig        T     [N19]     In Air, 30 feet up, invisible, off map
     Trembyl     R     [K24]     Walking,
     Unali       U     [L24]     In Tent, Awake
     Xian        X     [L20]     In Tent, Awake
     Z'leyra     Z     [M20]     Outside, Awake
     Corona      C     [L15]     Flying high somewhere
     Boyzdar     W     [P24]     Awake, Attacking goblin

     Goblin  #1  a     [M19]     Attacking Z'leyra, Armor, Spear
             #2  b     [M21]     Attacking Z'leyra, Club
             #3  c     [L23]     Attacking Trembyl, Spear
             #4  d     [K23]     Attacking Trembyl, Club
             $5  e     [L23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #6  f     [L19]     Attacking Z'leyra, Club
             #7  g     [N20]     Attacking Z'leyra, Spear
             #8  h     [N21]     Attacking Z'leyra, Club
             #9  i     [Q22]
             #10 j     [P23]     Attacking Wolf, Club
             #11 k     [P23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #12 l     [Q23]     Attacking Wolf, Club
             #13 m     [Q23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #14 n     [M35]     Near Horses
             #15 o     [M36]     Near Horses
             #16 p     [M37]     Near Horses

     Status -
          Dead Goblin - 3
       Wounded Goblin - 1
              Wounded - Z'leyra, Trembyl, Wolf

  Light Description - Campfire light goes out 3 hexes 100%, 4 hexes
    at 80%, 5 hexes 60%, 6 30%, 7 10%, 8 no light.  Light will affect
    combat (especially missile fire).  No moon light.  Star light only.
    No torches or lanterns are lit this hour.