[pnpgm] Game update #111 - File #415 - Party prepares for leaving..

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Sep 5 05:26:57 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #111  in sequence (file #415)

     Admin notes: I forgot this weekend was the Labor Day holiday
     in the USA.  So I didn't take that into account for some
     players may be busy and on holiday.  So if posts are delayed
     then I understand.  Happy Labor Day!  Summer is finally over!
     Well at least technically we still got at least 2 months here :<
     I also posted I'd do next update Friday which was the same
     day but guess you realize it was a mistake :)

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          As for skill....I think the best thing Strie'bog can learn
          while here is how to ride better.  So, he will work on
          riding.  He will see if any of the men of the tribe will
          work with him on improving his riding skill.

          He will also start trying to teach stories he learned
          through Wisdom to the children of the tribe.

          He will not do any magic, to make sure he regenerates
          mana quickly.

          As for the executions, Strie'bog recognizes that this is
          Zen'da justice (heck, he had a lot of their lore downloaded
          into his head), but he does not like how they go about
          inacting their justice.  Still, he will not make a scene,
          as he is a guest in their lands.  What he will do, is while
          telling stories to the children, he will tell them of his
          people, and how they deal with crimes.  (Of course, I
          image the forest people have their own 'barbaric' practices.
          The druids did use a wickerman after all). Strie'bog will
          not attend the executions, instead using the time  to rest
          or be with Bodyzar.

          When Farseeker tells everyone about what Nelf (the boy
          leader) said, Strie'bog will add "Farseeker, you mentioned
          that the boy  met with these L'p'nthian's in a place with
          trees.  Thinking  that no one would hear, those he met may
          have spoken of their  goals or purpose.  Trees can hear the
          words of man, and some  of you have seen that I can speak
          with trees.  It is a gift  that will not disrupt in
          recovering my energies.  If it is  wished, either before or
          after the castle, I can see if anything  was said that would
          help us to understand the purpose of the L'p'nth."
        GM: Ack.  Wickerman.  I think there is a movie coming out
          with that title.  I wonder if its related.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra bows to Farseeker "Thank you Farseeker. This
          training may well save my life someday." She takes from her
          satchel a wide leather belt that has artistic patterns
          embossed in it and hands it to Farseeker. "In the hopes
          that it will assist in protecting your life I have made,
          enchanted and ensorcelled this belt. It should last well,
          being enchanted to be as tough as chainmail. Most
          importantly I have ensorcelled protections into it to
          help the wearer resist any chaos spells. With this belt
          perhaps one third of such spells that might otherwise
          succeed shall fail due to the protections I have placed in
          the belt. May you wear it in good health."

          Regarding the Claw, Z'leyra says "I could cast Oblivion
          on the Claw. I would want to do some preparation spells
          first as the Claw will have magical protection that might
          be hazardous to me if I cast Oblivion unprepared. If Ben'dar
          and the rest of you agree, I shall do that."

          Responding to Strie'bog's comment Z'leyra will mention "I
          have learned a spell that allows one to see a bit into the
          past. Akasha, though a dangerous spell to cast, can reveal
          what happened in the past at the place it is cast. It would
          allow me to see who was there. If the trees didn't
          understand what was said the spell may do so. However, I
          may not understand the language used. Prior to casting
          Akasha I would want the willing help of someone who was
          raised speaking the language so that another of my spells
          could grant me knowldege of that language."

          "I might be able to tie it to an illusion spell to show
           everyone what transpired. But perhaps it will be made moot
           by what we do at the castle. Perhaps we should wait till
           after we have dealt with the castle before looking for
           that meeting spot."

          A bit before the party is teleported by Chion Z'leyra will
          quietly cast an EL0 Divination spell. Just before Chion
          teleports them she will cast Orient Self EL0 on herself,
          put away her drum and have dagger and buckler ready.

          The evening before leaving for the castle Z'leyra will check
          out how her earlier patients, the old man and the colt,
          are doing.

          Before the teleport Z'leyra will have buckler on her left
          arm but her dagger will remain sheathed. Her right hand
          will hold her staff.

        [During Days 55-59 Strie'bog learns to ride with the other
         men in the village.  his skill improves and can now ride
         a lot faster with confidence than he could before.
         This requires much of the day to learn how to sit, trot,
         gallop and even handle horses in various situations. The
         Zen'da seem to have a very structured program to teach
         riding even to the males as young as 3.  Snakes are used
         to scare horses to teach riders to react and then control
         their mount.  Many mock battles are made as well.  Though
         in the winter they rarely get to their weather training.
         During the rainy season they have a series of exercises
         to teach how to ride and battle in rain and deal with
         terrain hazards like water, puddles, rocks, rock slides,
         harmful plants like cactus, etc. and much more.  Those
         who tell the stories even tell of learning to ride in
         the nearby river a hundred or so miles away or going far
         south on major riding expeditions to the mountains to
         train in mountain warfare.  Strie'bog, Kasha, Balrog,
         Ben'dar and Farseeker all become very interested in the
         stories and techniques shown by the Zen'da.  While they
         are expert riders and good horse archers its clear they
         aren't used to heavy calvary actions.  Farseeker points
         this out as its very rare to have horses with armor unless
         its a special situation and horse.  This is what makes
         the Zen'da such great riders in battle they are light,
         quick and skilled. But up against a full Knight brigade
         of heavy calvary they could easily be routed.]

        GM: Strie'bog +1 EL in Horsemanship

        [During the five days Strie'bog also tells many stories
         of the Vassa and Zen'da.  For some time he hesitates
         telling the stories he learned via Wisdom about the Claw.
         But then again stories help prevent future disasters by
         telling of past problems and great disasters.  He tells
         the stories in such a way the young and old can learn
         a lesson on abuse of power and corruption through items
         like the Claw.  He realizes though by telling about the
         Claw he could tempt others if the Claw still remains.
         Temptation always remains in any society.  So he doesn't
         say the Claw itself but changes the name to other items
         or use other examples.  Outside the village maybe he can
         tell of the claw itself but as long as the Village knows
         the Claw remains there will always be temptation.  Ben'dar
         listens to the stories and some of the concepts hits home
         while others slip past him.  He considers it deeply and
         stays awake after one big story for some time thinking
         about it.]

        [In the days waiting Z'leyra is shown the combative hand
         to hand skill.  Farseeker also points out the Zen'da
         version of the skill which is more wrestling style.  He
         shows that boys as young as 8 learn the skill.  A
         warrior also explains lodge members once accepted into
         the lodge gets trained in special horse to ground or
         horse to horse hand to hand skills but they are for
         more adept or exceptional warriors.  Farseeker is curious
         by this technique but the warrior does not wish to demonstrate
         the techniques as its dangerous and also a bit secretive
         to outsiders.  At the end of the five days Z'leyra hands
         Farseeker her belt.  He looks at it in hesitation and
         a bit of confusion.  Unsure to touch it he says.]

         Farseeker: "This won't turn me into a frog or anything
           if you say a certain word huh? I just don't trust all
           magic that I don't understand."  [With some hesitation
           he takes the belt] "It looks...nice..decorative...just
           hope the other barracks men don't laugh at it.  Thanks!"

        [As the days pass the prisoners slowly die.  On day 56
         the shaman was put out into the plains.  Paralyzed he
         could not move as animals slowly but surely closed in.
         Two days later warriors report little of him remains other
         than bones.  There were also rumors of more wolf tracks
         than usual in the area.  Most wolf packs might hold
         a party of up to 6 adults.  But rumors seem to indicate
         there were as many as 30 adults of various sizes.  Some
         warriors even whisper maybe Cetric himself called these
         wolves upon the shaman.  But none say it out loud and
         in his face.

         Day 57 the wizard is literally roasted alive but it only
         takes 3 hours before his life signs fade.  The Zen'da seem
         to care not about this cruel punishment they figure it
         to be entertaining to see an enemy on a spit.  But in
         reality this torture and death session is rare.  Warriors
         admit they've only done it once in the last 5 years.  But
         just doing it once is enough to create stories that spread
         across the plains which prevent hard crimes.  So in that
         regard it works.

         The L'p'nth believe in several burial rites some believe the
         body is empty once the soul leaves.  Others believe in
         a strong reincarnation belief.  But many of the common folk
         still believe in a simple burial.  There is great discussion
         as to what to do with the shaman and the wizard.  While
         the Shaman is Zen'da the Wizard is believed to be L'p'nth
         but isn't confirmed.  The custom for the Ga'fel is to return
         bodies to family if they died honorably.  In times of war
         bodies and burnt.  But this situation is a bit sketchy so
         it is decided to bury the shaman's remains.  The wizard
         is further cremated as the chiefs decide that to be fitting.

        Octaqi 27, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 57 of Trip]
        [Time: Late Afternoon]

           [Durge could've walked anywhere among the various
            tipis, tents and other structures in the camp.  But
            he had decided to meet with Ben'dar.  In doing
            so he challenged Ben'dar to a duel.  Ben'dar clearly
            realizes this is some power struggle and a sign
            of respect for other warriors.  Duels are common if
            one is being shamed or taunted.  the last couple
            days various strange things have occurred with Durge
            and his anger has built up.  He has turned into
            a boiling pot ready to explode.  It just happen to
            do it this afternoon when he runs into Ben'dar.  Ben'dar
            studies Durge for several long seconds.  He knows him
            to be Caladan's brother and also the 2nd son of Gib'borah.
            That means he woud be chief next.  He would be a powerful
            force soon and could cause trouble all around even for
            Caladan.  If he took on Durge it could cause even trouble
            for his tribe in the central plains.  A simple fight
            today could lead to major things later.  Ben'dar stands
            a  good foot taller than Durge but Durge seems to have
            more upper body strength and mass (muscle).  Ben'dar is
            confident he could take Ben'dar but he shakes his head.
            Ben'dar steps back and then turns and walks away after
            glaring at Durge.]

           Durge: "Hah!  Coward!"

           [The warrior Ben'dar was standing next to looks at both
            Zen'da and watches in fascination.  Ben'dar stops at
            the word and challenge.  Anger boils and his fists
            tighten.]

           Durge: "Walk away..join the females!"

           [Caladan did talk about Durge being a hot head and a wild
            one while Gidwani was the more reasonable and logical
            one (the 3rd son in line after Caladan).  Suddenly
            Ben'dar hears another voice.]

           Caladan: "Durge I've seen Ben'dar take on a dragon
             monster would you be willing to do so?"

           [Ben'dar twirls to see Caladan standing with help from
            a young girl and a crutch.  Caladan nods at Ben'dar
            and looks back at Durge.]

           Caladan: "Well?"

           Durge: "I will take on anything!"

           Caladan: "Why not go to the castle then?  I'm told
             Chion may have heard a dragon roar.  They could
             use you to help out."

           Durge: "Ahh...well...I ..need to stay here and help
             out we are going to ..track down the blue bugs
             and try to rebury them around the plains.  Its
             an important task..."

           [Ben'dar smiles behind Durge's shoulder at Caladan
            as Durge pretends to hear someone calling his
            name and runs off.]

           [Caladan has the girl remain and he walks slowly to
            Ben'dar and whispers.]

           Caladan: "He's a big cat with a little roar.  But
             that's why my father also wants me to stay here.
             The destiny under him of the tribe could be a
             twisty path."

        Octaqi 28, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 58 of Trip]

        [Time - After Farseeker interrogates Nelf -]

          [Strie'bog talks to Farseeker and mentions the trees.]

          Farseeker: "I can ask him."

          [Farseeker walks toward Nelf being dragged away.]

          Farseeker: "You mentioned the tree meeting.  How
            long ago was it and where was it?  Can you show
            us on a map?"

          Nelf: "It was weeks ago and no I couldn't.  I rode
            with others and have no idea where we were going.
            We were sent from a village in the mountains through
            some mountains and meet in a valley.  Theres dozens
            of those in the mountains with large forests."

          [Farseeker nods and waves Nelf away then returns to
           Strie'bog.]

          Farseeker: "You heard him.  The odds of pinpointing that
            exact location is slim.  Good idea though.  it could
            take weeks to find it.  Let's face it he is a city
            person and once one enters the wilderness they can get
            confused and lost easily."

          Xian: "Yeah finding this location would be hard but
            maybe the castle has some info."

          [Ben'dar nods quietly as he hears the talk.  He eyes
           Nelf quietly and thinks.]

        [Time - Around 7:15pm]

          [the sun now has been down for a short while.  Twilight
           is replaced by inky blankness.  Ben'dar exits the
           Tipi a bit more naked feeling.  He has left the Claw
           inside with his dragon hide armor tucked in a corner
           and hidden.  He quietly moves through the village and
           asks to borrow a spear from another warrior.  Then he
           walks to Tef'wo and mounts up.  He straps the spear
           aside his own spear and weapons.  He heads north of
           the village.  Hours earlier Nelf left south naked and
           without any gear on him.  Ben'dar circles the village
           and heads south.  Without a torch and the moon only
           half full tonight he tries to spot tracks.  Often he
           has to dismount and walk.  Several times he loses the
           tracks and has to start over.  For 45 minutes he
           comes close.  Then he totally loses the track and
           has to restart and takes another 35 minutes before
           he catches them again.  In this case he spots red blood
           on some white pale rocks.  he also can smell his prey
           the body odor of fear and exhaustion is distinctive.

           Finally after little over 2 hours he finally finds
           his prey or rather hears him.  Nelf stumbles in the
           darkness.  By now the clouds have covered the moon and
           its only about 10% of the moon's total light shines
           through.  Ben'dar smiles and gallops Tef'wo forward and
           rounds Nelf.  He stops about 10 feet from Nelf in front
           of him.  The grin fades from Ben'dar as he becomes serious.
           While there is revenge and while there is hatred this
           is a duty and an honor to the People so the tradition
           overtakes him.  With a stern face he speaks.]

          Ben'dar: "I have come to honor my promise."

          Nelf: "What?  Who is that!?"

          [Ben'dar tosses the spare spear to the general direction
           of Nelf. Nelf startled jumps back but sees the spear
           and dives for it.  Ben'dar dismounts and grabs his own
           spear.  He pushes Tef'wo away but Tef'wo doesn't move.
           Ben'dar gives a slight slap to the rear and an order.
           Tef'wo refuses again.  Tef'wo's head bobs up and down
           and he neighs.  Ben'dar realizes Tef'wo senses something
           here and may not wish to leave.  Ben'dar comes around
           so Tef'wo can see him in front and again orders him to
           leave.  Ben'dar sees the white's of Tef'wo's eyes seem
           to twinkle and Tef'wo slowly turns and heads a few feet
           away but Ben'dar realizes not far away.]

          Nelf: "So this is Zen'da tradition?  Set a person free
            and then kill him?"

          [Ben'dar turns and gives Nelf time to think.]

          Nelf: "OH your that one with the Claw...you said
            you would kill me if I helped you.  So that
            was your promise."

          [Both men, though the boy is barely a man, circle
           each other.  Both have no armor and both have spears.
           This makes them slightly equal other than skills.
           Ben'dar does feel some weirdness fighting a naked
           boy but he puts it deep in his mind to not think about.]

          Nelf: "You know.  If you take and protect me back to
            the mountains I'll reward you greatly.  The claw
            is nothing compared to what I can offer.  You do
            have the claw on you right? Listen I only had to
            do a job its nothing personal."

          [Ignoring the words and taunts Ben'dar continues to
           circle. He knows the enemy should throw the first
           move for honor's sake.  He just wishes the boy would
           get on with it!   When Nelf realizes his words are
           not heard or welcome his anger builds.  He thinks of
           going toward the horse and taking off.  But confidence
           builds.  Who would think that training in a dark room
           with only one candle would one day come into play in
           this darkness.  The priestess felt the training was
           always better in the dark rather than day...]

          [Nelf concentrates and listens.  He can hear the breathing
           of Ben'dar and his shuffling feet.  He can sense the
           man's presence and almost feel the wind and air shift.
           Ben'dar on the other hand can sense Nelf and hear him
           shuffle as well but beyond that its hit and miss.]

          [Nelf plunges...]

          [Nelf thrusts his spear at Ben'dar and tit misses him
           by inches.  Ben'dar thrusts back and misses as the
           spear goes under Nelf's arm.

          [Nelf in front of Ben'dar twists to his right and moves
           and sideslips.  He comes now to the right side of
           Ben'dar and thrusts at Ben'dar's side and hits doing
           5 points of damage.  The spear hits ribs.  Ben'dar
           turns in pain and sees Nelf's chest and thrusts the
           spear impales a lung and does 8 points of damage to
           the young boy who screams in pain. Both men now
           moving only by sheer will and adrenaline back away
           from each other.]

         Nelf: "You will never win!  The master knows all and
          sees all! (cough) You should've taken my offer.
          You fools on the plains ...(cough)...your days
          are at end!"

         [Nelf charges and with a wild swing the spear misses.
          But Ben'dar ducks seeing the move and thrusts down and
          upwards.  The spear impales Nelf in his stock and slices
          through the entire body and does enough damage the tip
          of the blade goes out the back.  Nelf coughs blood
          right onto Ben'dar's shoulder and grabs his chest dropping
          his spear.]

         Nelf: "Sli--" [Before he could finish the word he sags and
           falls to the ground.  Ben'dar checks him and finds him
           clearly dead.  The spear is ruined.  If pulled out it
           would be severely bent or broken.  That was his own
           personal spear.  Too bad.  He grabs Nelf's spear and
           takes it back to Tef'wo.  But as he mounts the pain
           overtakes him and he swings a big.

         [The combat lasted only about 10 seconds.  He grabs
          his side and remembers to stop the bleeding.

         [By the time Ben'dar returns to the village his muscles
          have tightened and it feels like a rib is broken.  He
          is light headed but makes it to camp.  The wound
          was light and not fatal but it hurts.  By now its
          around 12:30 when he returns.  Farseeker is the
          first to spot him as he places Tef'wo back in place.]

         Farseeker: "What happened to you?  Do you need Z'leyra?"

         GM: Ben'dar up to you how you explain it.  As per email
           I posted this.  Congrats!  With that fight you are
           now +1 CEL (thus +1 OCV/DCV!)!

        Octaqi 29, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 59 of Trip]

          [This day the chiefs and their warrior escorts leave to
           their various clans.  Talk of war with the Bova has
           been stopped until the Bova react.  But so far days
           later they have not.  The ploy of "destroying" the
           claw may have worked.  The only problem is that the
           entire village knows the claw still exists.  So keeping
           it a secret is going to be critical.  The same goes
           for that everyone seems to know Ben'dar has the Claw
           and so far refuses to give it up.  There is talk by
           Thig of maybe doing detection items to find the blue
           bugs but the range is so limited its not done.  The
           talk of the blue burgs comes up over the days the
           party waits.  It is finally decided to spread the news
           to try to rebury them and spread stories of danger about
           them so kids don't play with them.  The story that water
           will prevent the parasite is also widely talked about.
           The clan chiefs will in their areas track down these hives
           and use water or just rebury the bugs.  It is still unsure
           why they appeared.  There were quakes in the plains but
           light ones that barely broke the surface.   It is thought
           this may have been the action that made the bugs surface.
           The operation to destroy or bury the bugs will take
           weeks if not years...]

       [Time: Evening]

         [Z'leyra tracks down the old man she helped heal in her
          tests.  She finds him well but Teul is still weak from
          his brain disease which may be difficult for magic to
          completely rid.  his daughter tells Z'leyra though
          he has been thinking clearly and reacting well the
          last few days.  She is thankful for this new lease on
          life and extension for his life.  As to the colt the
          horse seems to be doing well as well.  The leg has
          mended and should be able to be rode in a few weeks.]

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]

        [Time: Near 3am.]

          [Folks begin to stir and get ready for the teleport.
           Gear is checked, gear is left behind.  Not even
           all the females are up this hour.  Only the sentries
           and the party.  The party will leave from the earlier
           prepared spot Chion made for his previous teleport.
           A few warriors are still up and gather.  Caladan wakes
           his father and brother.  Gidwani had left this afternoon
           to visit Zaka's village on a issue and stayed there.
           Durge groggy walks to the spot and grumbles under his
           breath about being up so early. ]

          Caladan: "I wish I could go with you but I would be
            a burden at my current state.  While I can walk on
            my own now I still feel drained."

          Cetric: "It will take a few more days."

          Gib'borah: "You do this for yourselves but also for the
            People.  If you are in a place where you may not make
            it don't fear to return.  It won't be shameful.  You
            need not even go if you wish.  but I do wish you
            luck and good fortune.  We will be waiting here for
            your return.  May the spirits guide you."

          [Torches around the circle and a lantern shows Ben'dar
           in full gear including the lump in his tunic which
           folks know to be the Claw.]

          Farseeker: "So that's it then?  We aren't going to
            destroy the claw or hide it?  You are taking it
            with you?  Protect it with your life then.  For
            it could be our lives if you don't."

          Xian: "I will cast a spell to tell me if I make this
            teleport."

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update Friday...

        Ok.  A short update.  But since Chion hasn't posted his
        actions on where to jump to it has to be short.  But
        then I figure he may be out of town due to the holiday.
        So that's ok.  But I need the coordinate in the last
        update.  I know Z'leyra, Xian and Strie'bog (Blessing)
        will do a few spells before the teleport.  But I'm ready
        to move on once I know where the party wishes to
        jump to.  Till then can't move on :)

        Hope I filled enough of the update to make it not a
        short short update at least...

        Use the map on the website for coordinates.  Bottom of
        the page.