[pnpgm] Game update #122 - File #465 - Secrets Revealed?

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Oct 11 08:29:26 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #122   in sequence (file #465)

     Admin notes: Supplemental Update.  What did you guys think of
     the character introspection/insight?  I think it fits in with
     the personalities already defined.  Hope didn't offend anyone.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra asks Thig "Did she have a spell - mental compulsion
          - on her?" If yes, Z'leyra will attempt to save her having
          anyone who knows Regeneration cast it on the girl while
          Z'leyra holds the girl's throat together and if necessary
          casts Healing.

          If no, Z'leyra will mutter a prayer for the girl's spirit
          to find it's way in the spirit realm.

          Z'leyra will ask the party "Did anyone recognize the
          language she was speaking?"

          She will examine the room, altar, tapestry and weapons to
          see if anything strikes her as important about them. She
          suggests that the rest do the same.
        GM: Ack.

                                -----------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          "I am not so sure that she was compelled to take her own
           life. There are stories of those who are deluded into
           thinking they serve a higher good, and will do what ever
           the serpent's deceivers ask.  I do not recognize the
           language that she spoke, but she seemed genuine in her
           desire to end her life.  As has been said, I would like to
           know who she gave her life for."

           Realizing that artists many times layer symbols, or hide
           one symbol within another, Strie'bog will look over the
           tapestry (his own instrument has layers of symbols carved
           within the wood...thanks to those ranks in artist).  So he
           will look for hidden meaning in the work.

           "Have we looked into all the rooms on this floor?  Could
            there be hidden rooms?"
        GM: Ack.  I got your post literally 2 minutes before I
            was going to post this update :).

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]
        [Time: 5:52am]

        [As the party stand or kneel over the girl's body some are
         shocked by the fast escape and suicide.  Some turn away
         while others just stare in wonder at the loss.  Unali's
         gut warned her about the girl but she was half a second
         too late.  She used the dagger rather skillfully it seems.
         Forcing the dagger below the jaw and then through the jaw
         and left side of the head also slashing the main neck
         artery.]

        [Z'leyra and Xian try everything to save the girl but the damage
         is massive and would not only need to regenerate artery and
         tissue but recover blood loss.]

        [Z'leyra glances quick at Thig then back to the girl.]
        Z'leyra: "Did she have a spell - mental compulsion - on her?"

        Thig: "No.  But then again I was across the room.  I never
          actually did close enough to detect anything on her.  I
          didn't figure I should have."

        [Kasha surprised by the last few minutes sits down on the
         ground and waits for the healer to do her work.  In the
         dim light he notices the girl's foot. He glances up and
         gets a good view of her body from feet up under the crumpled
         cloak.  His eyes dart then his attention pulls back to her
         foot.  He squints and moves closer then closer again.  He
         grabs her foot and pulls it up toward the ceiling for better
         light from a nearby torch.]

        Balrog: "She's cute but that's sick!"

        [Kasha ignores the comment and examines the bottom of her
         foot.  He then drops the leg and stands.]

        Kasha: "You can stop now."

        [The party and Z'leyra look up at Kasha waiting for an
         explanation.]

        Kasha: "She has a tattoo on her foot.  Its small.  Its
         a line with a circle at the top of one end.  It represents
         a dagger with circle at the end.  She is part of the Lizil
         cult.  I've...worked...had jobs crossing into L'p'nth lands.
         But mostly the border regions not this far deep.  Being
         a merc for hire we also prepare with intelligence as best
         we can.  The L'p'nth fanatics take village girls.  Usually
         barbarian ones and rarely city ones from homes.  They tell
         the girls they have some divine destiny or something.  They
         make the girls think the rituals they'll be part of are for
         the gods.  We hear some don't follow this willingly.  But
         others fall for it.  Some are taken at age 13 or 14 right
         when they blossom.  Some are used as temple slaves and others
         as temple sex workers.  But many are used in rituals.  They
         believe by doing this they will go to a better life.  They
         think their families will be rewarded as well.  But it can't
         be true.  Its sad really.  The tattoo is a mark to show they
         are part of this group.  They place it on the foot so as not
         to disgrace other body parts with it.  My guess is she wanted
         to die.  Even if we saved her it wouldn't be of use."

        [Strie'bog speaks his first paragraph above.  He almost
         confirms this story to the party.]

        Z'leyra: "Did anyone recognize the language she was speaking?"

        [No one speaks up.]

        Farseeker: "Sounded like the others.  So I'd say she was
          speaking in L'p'nthian."

        [The party stands.  Trembyl considers grabbing his cloak
         but its stained and leaving her nude just didn't seem right.]
         A blanket will cover the rest of the body that the others
         found.]

        Trembyl: "Now what?  There doesn't seem to be another room left.
          Should we head downstairs?"

        [Xian looks down at the girl and then away.]

        Xian: "Such a waste.  But I've heard of such things in other
          lands.  Fate again deals us a harsh blow.  We just can't
          seem to hold prisoners.  First in Clima that creature kills
          the entrance guards and now here.  Sometimes its like we
          have no real control even our words must be planned ahead
          of time by the gods.  Makes you wonder why do anything."

        [The party quietly discusses the next move.  Folks try to
         scan their memory to make sure no alcove or room was missed
         in the exploration.]

        Farseeker: "Was that priestess or A'gar in charge?"

        Kasha: "I doubt it they were too easy."

        Farseeker: "Easy?  You were gone in that empty nothingness."

        Kasha: "True."

        Thig: "Wait there was something.  When we were exploring the
          bedrooms.  The last one I sensed magic but didn't think
          of it as we chased the patrol guards.  Let's head that
          way."

        [With nothing else figured out the party pick up gear and
         head north down the hallway.  They round the corner and
         head to the right near bedrooms 7-9.  Thig looks around
         for any clues.  Behind the party is the north wall of
         the Ritual room.  To the west is the 2 hallways parted by
         a rock partition.  To the north is the bedrooms and to the
         right is rock walls.  The wall is dark with no torches on
         this end of the hallway.  The nearest torch being about 30
         feet west.]

        Trembyl: "Ahh!  I didn't notice it before when we and Balrog
          got clothes for the girl.  There."

        [He points to the wall.]

        Balrog: "The wall?"

        Trembyl: "An illusion."

        [Trembyl being an Illusionist himself easily sees through
         the illusion.  Thig and Z'leyra also see through it but
         everyone else sees just the rock wall.  A torch is fetched
         and the wall is inspected.  Thig approaches first and senses
         the illusion magic.  The illusion is quite clever.  Even
         with a torch inches from the wall it would be hard to detect
         the truth unless you were looking for it.  The real wall
         has a rock node jutting out about a inch from the wall but
         the illusion shows it flat and with no cracks or obvious
         problems in the wall face.]

        Trembyl: "Concentrate its only an illusion and you'll see
          the real wall."

        [It takes a few seconds but those who see the illusion see
         it shift to the real wall as its explained to them.]

        Balrog: "Oh.  It looks like a hidden passage."

        Farseeker: "You don't say?"

        [Balrog ignores the sarcasm.]

        Balrog: "This type you should be able to open by twisting
          the rock."

        [Thig nods.  he knows being a thief Balrog might be skilled
         in detection and use of secret places like this.  He
         senses the illusion which is strong and a passive spell
         which feels harmless.  The purpose is unclear but Thig
         reasons it could be tied into the passage to open it.
         Thig tries to twist the node but finds it hard for his tiny
         hands.  Ben'dar helps and both twist the head sized rock.
         A rumble is heard and  a piece of the wall the size of
         a normal door recesses backwards.  Thig cautiously peers
         into the passage and finds it goes right and twists down
         a tunnel.  He spots torches that are lit along the wall
         about every 20 feet.  Maybe that was part of the magic
         he sensed like the Ritual room candles.]

        Thig: "Ready?  I can lead to ensure no magic but I'd prefer
          Farseeker first if you don't mind?"

        Farseeker: "Sure."

        Thig: "I'm easy to kill if I'm up front."

        Farseeker: "Danger?"

        Thig: "I didn't see anything but its just good practice."

        Farseeker: "No problem."

        [Farseeker puts his sword to his side and slips into the
         passage slowly.  Thig follows behind sending out his magic
         detection senses.  Following Farseeker and Thig are in
         order - Ben'dar, Chion, Balrog, Xian, Strie'bog, Kasha,
         Trembyl, Unali and finally Z'leyra.]

        [After about 20 feet Thig's ears twirl as he senses something
         ahead.  He starts to mouth out a warning.]

        Thig: "Sto--"

        [But suddenly Farseeker turns and runs right into Thig.
         The force of his weight knocks Thig against the wall as
         Farseeker runs past.  Farseeker crashes into Ben'dar as
         the tunnel is only 1 person wide.  Ben'dar sees Farseeker's
         eyes widen and his face pale.]

        Farseeker: "Let go!"

        [He tries to force his way past Ben'dar and others but the
         party forms a barrier and prevents him.  Thig not affected
         apparently creeps forward.  Z'leyra wishes to see what
         is going on and maybe help out but is in the rear of the
         line.  Thig detects a ward.  he has seen the spell before
         used by the Climans or similar spell.  It looks to be
         a Terror spell.  Probably to scare would be trespasser
         from entering.  He gets to within 8 feet of the magic he
         senses to be its source.  Meanwhile the others hold Farseeker.
         It takes Ben'dar, Kasha, Chion and Balrog to hold him due
         to his strength and sheer confusion and fright.  Farseeker
         begins to mumble and the party fears he could scream and
         warn any others down the tunnel.  Kasha holds his mouth closed
         with a hand over his mouth.

        [Thig casts a dispell spell on the ward but the first fails.
         He senses the magic still.  He recasts and finds it gone now.
         He waves the party on.  Farseeker refuses to go forward and
         wants out of the tunnel.  The party looks at Farseeker with
         slight pity.  The brave military officer charges into most
         battles without thinking. But to become scared by magic must
         make him feel bad.  Balrog considers teasing him about it
         afterwards but thinks better not as magic can turn a brave
         man into a quivering mass.  The party waits for the spell
         to end and it takes a bit over 3 minutes.  Farseeker finally
         calms down and composes himself.]

        Farseeker: "...ahh...sorry guys...I-"

        Kasha: "Let's move on."

        [Farseeker nods and the party continues down the hall.  No
         more magic is detected in the tunnel.  The tunnel goes
         south about 150 feet.  It opens up into a larger hallway.
         the party turns east and sees 2 doors.  One directly
         almost across from them and one to the south.  Going
         east the party checks the door.  No magic and no noise.
         The party opens the door and finds a dusty empty room.
         From the stale air it looks empty for some time.  This
         area of the fort is dark with only 1 or 2 torches every
         50 feet.  The party considers heading south to the other
         door when suddenly a voice is heard to the north.]

        Male: "Excuse...please..come ...expected...this way this
          way...if you please?"

        [The voice seems to be done in a broken form of Marentian.
         As if he is trying to phrase the words.  The party look
         to each other in confusion and wonders their next move.]

        Farseeker: "Looks like we are expected?"

        Thig: "Maybe we should oblige them?"

        [The man stands about 6'7 and about 225 pounds.  From
         this distance its hard to tell if he is armed due to
         the light and his age.  He is 175 feet north of the party.]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next update Friday...

         Will do next update Friday.  Just a chance for you to catch up.

   [Castle Third Floor]

             1         2         3         4         5         6
    123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
   [------------------------------------------------------------]
 A [Bed I    I    I    I    i    I    I    I    I               ]
 B [  1 I 2  I 3  I  4 I  5 I 6  I  7 I 8  I 9  I               ]
 C [-=----=----=-----=----=---=--I--=---=----=--I  M            ]
 D [%            .......................       %%%   I          ]
 E [____    %%%                                @ %   [          ]
 F [LatrI  %%%%  -------------     ------------% %   I__________]
 G [ine I   %%   I           I  %  I          ]% %      I       ]
 H [----I  %%%%  I Meeting   I  %  I  Ritual  I% %      [ Empty ]
 I [%%%%%   %%%  [           ]  %  I          I% %  PP  I       ]
 J [------  %%   I  Room     I  %  I  Room    I%        I_______]
 K [StairI  %%   I           I  %  I          I%        [       ]
 L [     I  %%%  I-----------I  %  I----------I%        I       ]
 M [-----I  %%%%                            %%%%%%%     I_______]
 N [Offic]               I-------------I   %%%%%%%%%%  %%%%%%%%%]
 O [ e   I    --------   [             ]   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
 P [-----I    [Empty I   I Library     I  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
 Q [%%%%%%%%%%I______I%%%I-------------I%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
 R [%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
 S [%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
 T [%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%I
   [------------------------------------------------------------]

    @ [E44] Passage entrance
    M [C48] Man standing
    P [I49] Party

   Master Map not updated on website yet.  Will later this week.  I
   included the above as a quick reference.  If it messes up view it
   on the website link.

   GM: Strie'bog since i just got your post I'll include the study
   of the tapestry in Friday's update.  Sorry.

   GM: There is one thing found in the Ritual Room I forgot to mention.
   It is an empty keg behind one of the columns near the altar.  Looking
   inside it is empty but red stained and smells of blood that distinctive
   blood smell. This might be a repository of blood for rituals?