[pnpgm] Game update #105 - File #377 - Party rests

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Aug 8 05:44:50 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #105  in sequence (file #377)
     and found it.  Weird I never got it.  Oh well.  So its below.
     Sometimes email has its quirks.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Lost Actions]
          Z'leyra responds to Ben'dars charging Cetric of necromancy
          "Ben'dar, Resurrection IS a spell that advanced shamans can
           learn. I hope to learn it myself someday. It gives the
           spirit the choice of staying in the spirit world or coming
           back to try to complete their life. Many shamanic spells
           deal with spirits, we rely upon them for our powers. We
           are not necromancers to force spirits to do evil, we bargain
           and work with each other out of respect."

          "Cetric angered all of us by his poisoning us and requiring
           us to be tested. I doubt that I will ever completely trust
           him. But he IS our best chance to have Caladan living again.
           Of course, Caladan's spirit may choose to stay in the spirit
           world."

          Z'leyra will patch up Cetric then heal him with a max EL
          Heal using her spellchain.
        GM: Ack.  This is the post I missed.  It adds dialogue that
          can be replied to.  It might help give Ben'dar the
          chance to further calm down as well during that night.

        From Z'leyra: [New stuff]
          Z'leyra checks her equipment (she would have cleaned her
          dagger before sheathing it), briefly sees that the horses
          and Corona are okay, makes sure that everyone is as healed
          as is reasonable, then will let the party know she will sleep
          till morning. Z'leyra  casts EL0 Watchful Sleep on herself.

          The day following, if Cetric isn't casting Resurrection that
          day and no one needs her to cast a healing spell (hint -
          others may cast) she will take a break from spellcasting to
          recover as much mana as possible.
        GM: Ack.  But its already morning.   But its best for everyone
          to sleep.

        Octaqi 21, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile somewhere on the plains]
         [Day 51 of Trip] [Bova Enemy Camp]
         Time: Roughly 3am

        GM: These events occur during the late night in the enemy
          camp in the past.

        [--When Ben'dar knocks Cetric out---]

        [Ben'Dar scowls at first, but his expression gradually
         changes to one of contrition as he realizes the truth of
         some of Farseeker's words.  He mutters softly,]

        Ben'dar: "We Zen'da do not forgive betrayal easily.  But you
           are right...I allowed my emotions to get the better of me.
           For that, I am sorry."

        Farseeker: "If betrayal was the end and be all of life Marentia
          would've conquered these plains long ago." [He grins and
          gives Ben'dar a light jovial slap on the back] "Seriously,
          I teach young boys in the military that emotion clouds the
          mind.  The best warriors fight with little empathy and
          emotion.  Some think they are cruel and amoral but in fact
          they are logical and get the job done.  Even that ..what's
          his face..Vlad...stonehead..oh stonehand I hear he has
          fought for the Zen'da people with great strength and
          little emotion." [He pauses and remembers something] "Weird..
          Caladan's father, Gib'borah is Gib'borah Stonehand.  I wonder
          if his parents named him after vlad or ...oh well..something
          to think about.  Emotion causes warriors to soften or harden
          depending on the circumstances.  A warrior has to be adaptive
          and flexible.  This advice I give to you only from my
          experience."

        [--When Cetric Wakes---]

        [Chion smiles, holding back his laugh, and replies to Cetric,]

        Chion: "Wounderal stated that you should place it upon his
          brow in order to aid his spirit home. If it fails, he would
          like to attend the funeral." At that he rises and leaves
          Cetric on the ground.

        [Cetric grabs the gem.  His eyes show slight recognition
         of the gem.]

        Cetric: "I've heard of such a gem.  But never saw one in
          person.  Thank you."

        [--About 45 minutes later when Cetric meets up with Ben'dar--]

        [When Ben'dar turns around and sees Cetric standing in front of
         him, Ben'Dar tenses, clearly expecting a fight. He slowly
         relaxes and regards Cetric skeptically as he listens to his
         words, but makes no reply at first.  When Cetric pauses, he
         says,]

        Ben'dar: "I reacted too quickly earlier.  Now that I have
           thought on the matter, I realize that my friend is dead
           already and any chance to bring him back should not be
           ignored."

        [Ben'Dar looks down at the ground and scowls, then mutters,]

        Ben'dar: "Please do what you can to help him..."

        [Cetric listens and seems to wait for hours to Ben'dar but
         only about 2 seconds pass.  Cetric grins ever so slightly
         in relief.  Then as quickly as it came the flicker of
         a smile fades.  He approaches Ben'dar with hands out in
         45 degree angles to each side (a Zen'da greeting of open
         friendly nature).  He stops at about 4 feet from Ben'dar
         just out of reach.  He looks around to ensure no one
         heard what Ben'dar said.  No one seems to have heard.
         In a whisper only Ben'dar can hear he speaks.]

        Cetric: "A warrior that can change his views is one that
          will live a long life.  One who can adapt to new things
          lives longer to those with closed minds.  I accept
          your words as an apology." [he raises a hand to stop
          Ben'dar before he can protest then continues] "Even
          a thin one.  I deserve your contempt.  What I did to
          you and the others is beyond wrong.  But hear my words.
          What I do then and now is still for the better of the
          Zen'da people.  Firstly to my Ga'fel tribe and then to
          the People.  I will try to save OUR friend.  I feel he
          is still important to the Ga'fel people.  If Gib'borah
          dies his other sons will be weak.  Caladan may have to
          take his place.  If there is to be war with the Bova
          a strong leader is needed.  I will do all I can.  I
          do so by revealing a secret I wish not to get out.  I
          will try my best."

        [With that he turns and walks a couple feet.  He then
         stops and turns around.  He looks back at the camp.
         He knows Ben'dar is young and rash.  He knows to
         admit his words took courage.  He turns around and
         walks back before Ben'dar can turn back to a horse.]

        Cetric: "Courage comes in many forms young warrior.
           Words can be as strong as fists." [he grabs his
           jaw in a silly gesture] "I know it took something
           of yourself to admit your words.  Here is something
           of me." [He leans over and whispers in Ben'dar's
           ears.  Ben'dar tenses up and grabs for a dagger
           just in case] "I may have saved that female the one
           named Unali in the battle.  Someone was about to
           stab her in the back.  If you ever tell her I saved
           her life I'll kill you." [With that he pulls back
           and grins then walks away.]

        [Ben'dar realizes the possible shame is it to even
         have a female fighting with Zen'da men.  Females
         fighting!  To save one that is fighting is disastrous!]

        Octaqi 22, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile somewhere on the plains]
         [Day 52 of Trip]
         Time: Roughly 3:30am

        [--Traveling to the village--]

        [As the party travels, Ben'Dar rides next to Z'leyra and
         explains about Tef'wo's peculiar behavior.  He says,]

        Ben'dar:  "I know that you can speak the tongue of horses.
          Can you ask why he was acting that way?"

        GM: Will email Z'leyra reaction info.  The conversation
          can take place during a quick few minute break.  But
          Tef'wo doesn't speak to Z'leyra until Ben'dar is clear.

                        -----------------------------

        Octaqi 22, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile somewhere on the plains]
         [Day 52 of Trip] [Clan Nemat Village]
         Time: Roughly 8:00am

        GM: Back in Clan Nemat's village.  The one that the
          Claw Shaman (now dead) attacked with the claw and
          took the villagers prisoner.  The one he killed
          many in the party is back in the village.

        [To Praelux's request, Ben'Dar nods and says,]

        Ben'dar: "Your people have sacrificed more than anyone else
          in this fight.  Your claim on the spoils of war is well
          deserved."  [He looks around and asks,] "Agreed?"

        [Balrog, Farseeker, Kasha and Thig nod in agreement.]

        Praelux: "Thank you.  I've spoken to the villagers and
           the elders.  The families of those killed.  Ben'dar
           knows the taking of horses as a prize in our culture.
           But to the outsiders they may not.  When a warrior
           is killed it is common in battle for the family to
           obtain a horse from the enemy if they are killed or
           captured.  In this way the warriors brothers or allies
           can avenge the warrior with their own enemy's horse.
           Course if they are killed or captured then it goes
           to the enemy's brothers and allies.  It also is
           a status symbol of war in some ways.  To have a horse
           for a family clan denotes battle and experience.
           It is difficult to explain.  The elders do not wish
           to be greedy.  The spoils of wars are yours not ours.
           When the shaman came with the claw I " [he looks down
           in shame and back up] "and others fled with the children.
           We also took many of the village horses.  But what we
           could determine is that two of those horses there were
           ours originally.  We lost three great warriors in the
           battle while others were injured or taken down.  So
           the elders request five warhorses and one family lost
           their tipi and entire inventory to the fire.  The
           elder of that family would like one of the finer horses
           to trade for other goods.  Is this ok?"

         GM: The request would be 1 Riding horse IV and 5 Warhorse
           III's.  This would still leave the party with 28
           warhorses captured.  Unless stated otherwise will assume
           this is acceptable unless there are arguments.

          [As the party settles into camp tired and exhausted
           from little sleep in 48 hours Z'leyra speaks.]

          Z'leyra: "Okay, Cetric will try to resurrect Caladan after
            we get back to his village. I will do what I can to assist
            him. Any injured, see me and I will patch your wounds,
            massage your bruises and cast a healing spell if it has
            been at least 24 hours since your last healing spell."

          [Balrog walks past hearing this and stops.  He turns and
           grins.]

          Balrog: "Massage?  I got this one bruise...I'll come
            find you later." [He continues on laughing.]

          Z'leyra: "Ben'dar, I want to do a Perception spell on that
            Claw sometime within the next day or two. That will
            likely tell us any curse associated with the Claw as
            well as it's powers. I will speak with Tef'wo." Z'leyra
            will go and have a conversation with Tef'wo and try to
            find out what is going on with him. If Ben'dar offers the
            Claw she will setup and do the spells for Perception.
            Presuming she has sufficient casting ability left. If
            not she will tell him "In another 30 hours when I have
            recovered somewhat."

          GM: Will see if Ben'dar hands the claw over.

          Z'leyra: "Praelux, as far as I am concerned you may choose
            your horses. Be fair."

          [By the time the party unpacks tents and helps clean up
           the battle damage, the clan suffered from the attack
           on the village, it is near 11am.  The party decides to
           eat a good lunch then nap as they've not sleep in some
           cases for 50-60 hours.  Those who tracked with Z'leyra
           are even further exhusted as sleep overcomes them
           quickly.  Z'leyra is oddly not so tired but knows she
           needs sleep.  The prisoners - shaman, leader and wizard
           are guarded by villagers and in the middle of the party
           so they can't escape.  Farseeker tells the villagers
           to keep them awake if they want.  it will help later
           if questions are asked.]

          [One by one each fall asleep in tents or bedrolls.  Those
           without tents are allowed to sleep in the tipis to
           avoid the bright sunlight.  Actually most of the day
           gets overcast and even climbs as warm as 75 today with
           heavy fog in the morning.]

          [A sentry is posted looking for any Bova forces but
           none are found that day.  Between 6 and 9pm the
           party slowly wake up one by one having slept well.
           Some decide to eat a dinner.  Most help the clan
           Nemat villagers to clean or prepare for the move.
           The village will move north and north west to avoid
           any Bova repercussions that might occur.  During
           breaks drink and food are shared with stories.]

          [At 4pm Corr woke up and with instructions from
           Cetric left on a fast moving plains horse to go and
           find the shaman Cetric asks for.  Cetric explains
           the shaman is skilled in spirit summoning even more
           so than he is.  Corr packs food and leaves quickly.
           He will even travel some that night with torches.]

          Balrog: "This battle stuff is getting to me.  I'm not
            a warrior.  Maybe its time I retire from this
            adventuring stuff."

          Kasha: "Its fun for me now.  I had a life once in
            my village but that changed. Now this is my life."

          [Ben'dar drinks with Praelux, Vlad, Lodd and the
           other warriors sharing stories.  Suddenly Balrog
           stops and slams his drink on the ground.  He stands
           and looks southward.]

          Balrog: "I knew I saw him before!  It bugged me.
            Until now.  The drink cleared my head.  The one
            I killed.  The one that escaped when Ben'dar
            hit Cetric.  Damn.  He was Ris!"

          Farseeker: "I'm sorry who?"

          Balrog: "Don't you recall when we were on ...the
            island..the ones we helped free.  The types
            like Jordi.  Ris was a diplomat from here from
            the plains!"

          Thig: "That was him?  There are no diplomats from
            the Zen'da.  They aren't that organized.  It
            would have been more a representative from a clan
            or tribe."

          Balrog: "It was him though!  He returned with us."

          [There were so many people - over 500 - dealt with in
           Clima its all a blur now.  There was a Ris on Clima
           the party vaguely recalls but no one checked thoroughly
           the prisoners or talked to them.]

          Farseeker: "What would he be doing with the Bova?"

          Balrog: "Good question."

          Kasha: "We let him free and he was part of this?  But
            he wasn't clearly any more than a warrior.  Not
            like these three with status."

          Thig: "Then his standing was decreased in the eyes of
            the clan.  That's sad it was him.  But if he was
            free of bugs it was his desire to be with them.  Maybe
            the Bova only gave him refuge after the island."

          Farseeker: "We will never know why.  I forgot what part
            of the plains he was from.  I was a bit too busy
            almost dying to talk to the diplomats."

          [Jordi sits somewhat alone watching the ground.  As the
           fall wind picks up near nightfall he misses his home
           and wife again.]

           [Strie'bog decides to play some music and tell stories
            to the villagers which they are not accustomed to
            at all but appreciate it.]

           [Z'leyra and Unali sit somewhat aside as the party
            and minor celebration continues.  Their status in
            the party is high but among the Zen'da there is
            still closed minds.]

           Cetric: "We still have time to save Caladan but we will
             need to leave at daylight."

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update Friday...

        [Horses left captured after Praelux's request -]
            1 Draft Horse - Wagon    9 Riding Horse III's
            2 Riding Horse IV's     10 Warhorse III's
           18 Warhorse IV's

        GM: Actions during the few hours before sun set?  Likely
          most will be up late that night but will go back to
          sleep again to help healing damage.  What about the
          treasure listed previously the magical items?
          Next update we'll move the party forward and maybe
          start the resurrection on friday.

        [------------------ Plot Arc - Update Prologue -------]

        [Meanwhile during the early morning on day 52 while the
         party enter camp this occurs somewhere in a city....]

        [A tall man and a female about 5'4 walks the cobblestone
         alley as fog and steam rise from the ground.  The
         city is just getting bustling with activity and people
         as shops start to open and sell their wares.  The
         sun has just risen and starts to warm the breezy.
         The two enter a side alley from a main street and
         enter a tavern side door.  The man looks around the
         tavern always keeping his heads at his belt.  Though
         no weapons are seen above his clothing he exudes the
         threat of such weapons.  The female ushers them to
         a table.  The barkeeper comes over after seeing them.
         The tavern is empty aside from maybe half a dozen tables
         out of the 30 or so in the place.  The place is full of
         hushed conversation.]

        Barkeep: "Whatt'ya have?"

        [The two order a small breakfast and drink.  The barkeep
         goes to place the order for his wife to cook.]

        Man: "This place is worst than the last one."

        Female: "This whole land is vile.  Where's our contact?"

        Man: "He's at the bar.  The other one isn't here."

        Female: "Why do we need two?"

        Man: "The Guild reports they are some of the best around
          this place."

        [Soon a man enters the tavern door and sees the man and
         female.  he recognizes the man and walks over.  The
         man at the bar sees him as well and joins the two.
         The man at the bar is short and red haired.  The one
         just enters wear a brown leather vest with a scar
         on his cheek.]

        Female: "Your late."

        Scarface: "Duty call."

        Female: "What do you have for us?"

        Red head: "We learned this city was their base for some
          time and some may even have homes here.  We know one
          person bought a home out in the west side but no one
          knows where.  Since the time frame you outlined a healer
          has been around town trying to look into land in the
          city but went and paid for land outside the city.  But
          our spies indicate the healer is gone."

         Female: "That's it?  We pay you for information and give
           you gold and in three weeks this is it?"

         Scarface: "There has been a noose around the land since the
           king and his people found many spies and arrested them.
           This is dangerous work."

         Female: "No excuses!" [She lowers her voice when she notices
           others looking]

         Man: "This job is personal we want more information.   If
           your going to be paid you'll get it."

         [A man comes from upstairs and sits by the fireplace and
          orders a meal.  He seems to be sobering from a night
          of drinking.  A female follows soon down the stairs
          and head back into the tavern kitchen area.]

         Scarface: "I've done my job.  In fact this very morning
           I learned some interesting information from an informant
           on the street.  One of their group owns a ship and sails
           in the sea nearby.  Currently he is away.  But the more
           important thing and the reason I asked you here is
           his friend." [he points to the man in the corner now
           eating some eggs that came quickly] "It is believed he
           was part of them.  his name is --"

          [The female comes out and stands at the bar and yells to
           the man in the corner.]

          Female: "Cholan!  Do you want milk this morning?"

          Scarface: "Cholan."

          Man: "The one with the bad arm?"

          Scarface: "Yes.  He is our key.  That one there is
            his girlfriend.  They've been in constant company
            for the last 2 months.  We watch him we'll find the
            others."

          Female: "Does he know where they are?"

          Red head: "Him?  I know him.  He's always drunk.
            Whining about his hand and some dog spitting fire.
            The girlfriend seems to be his only sane thing
            left.  I suspect he doesn't care or know."

          Female: "Very good.  Alert us.  You know where to
            contact us."

          Scarface: "We'll have to be careful.  The Sivan city
            guards have spies everywhere.  From Maren to Sivas
            they've tightened security for some reason.  There
            is rumor a Duke is behind all the arrests for foreign
            spies and such."

          Female: "Find out which duke and you'll get more gold."

          Scarface: "That's a state secret it would be difficult to
            learn."

          [The food arrives and the four eat a light breakfast.  Soon
           the female nods to the man who pulls out two small bags
           of coins and pays the thugs.  The two exit back into the
           street and head off into the city...]

       [Hope you liked that...:) I did.]