[pnpgm] Game update #40 - File #161 - Party finds Darkness...

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Sep 13 05:51:54 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #40 in sequence (file #161]

     Admin notes: None

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Jordi will remain near the rest of the group for the rest of
          the day; he will help in unloading the horses, cleaning them,
          etc...

          He will follow Caladan (or Ben'dar) instructions, to ensure he
          doesn't make any mistake that might cause problems to them.

          "Ben'dar, is it not odd for your people to sell horses? Well,
           I don't know for sure, but I imagined that your people
           usually exchanged horses, and made things like that... but,
           selling horses? Isn't it strange?"

          For the moment being, Jordi only speaks in Marentian. Just
          in case...

          PS: Can you please send me the updated character sheet,
          Scott? Thank you very much.
        GM: Ack.  Sheet is sent.   Caladan overhears this and says...

          Caladan: "He is rather old (the elder) and so gets confused.
            He knows I've visited civilized lands and so teases me.
            He could be just mistaken or confused or teasing me by
            using terms like "sell"....who knows....I'll find out
            soon."

                        ------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar replies to Jordi, "Horses are the most valuable
          commodity on the plains, and are commonly used in trade.
          It is not uncommon for the People to sell horses, though
          amongst themselves, there is no money involved, only barter.
          Caladan's father is probably trading horses for various
          other goods."

          During the feast, Ben'Dar tells tales of his homeland and
          ..[Section deleted for space/time)...

          Later on, Ben'Dar will remove his dragon armor and tooth/claw
          necklace to let some of the young men from Caladan's tribe
          examine and touch them.
        GM: Ack.  Caladan nods in agreement to Ben'dar's reply to
          Jordi.  Good stuff.  Points noted for role playing :)
          All listen intently as you tell the story.  At the ranch
          some laugh while others listen intently.  You surmise
          those who laugh scoff at a Zen'da living among the city
          folk.  At the talk of the hide, dragon and jordi they
          all smile, frown, scoff or grin in excitement at times.
          At the mention of jordi this helps some to understand
          the elf even more so (good job).  One warrior stands
          and asks.  Several young females eye Ben'dar during some
          of the stories which definitely gets his attention.  Its
          been a long time indeed.  But the children of them all
          listen with awe and soak in every word.

        Warrior: "With that (he points to the dragon armor) you
          should then be in the Fire Lodge?"

                        ------------------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Stories/Songs]
          Strie'bog will go gladly go through the introductions and
          talk with people.  During the feast, he will offer to tell
          stories and sing songs, or even just play.  The first
          performance will be a story (it is a Choctaw tale).

          It is a story that begins this way.....

          [Lengthy story.  Deleted here.  Can see it in the website
           or mailing list.  Due to time deleted it from update.]

          These free spirits are the children of Wind Runner's soul,
          And each can feel the bond that Wind Runner feels with the
          Boy.

          <Strie'bog stands silently>
        GM: Ack.  Great job!  Points for character role playing!
          I'll make a mental note of this.  When you finish and
          during there were murmurs.  Many of the older elders
          in the 70s/80s nod as if they've heard the stories but
          most just listen intently.  Many of the females smile
          at the story while the men seem a bit bored since it
          didn't have any battles in it but listen anyways :)

        GM: At the end of the story a hush grows over the camp
          as they ponder the song and story.  Then one by one
          and then many of them make fists and with both fists
          hit their shoulders twice and nod.  Caladan explains this
          is how they show their appreciation rather than clapping.

                        ------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will drink to the toast and eat heartily. Later she
          will respectfully ask the shaman if they could share knowledge
          as she likes to learn, particularly from those who have earned
          honor for their wisdom and enjoys teaching, especially about
          anything related to healing.
        GM: Ack.  Unfournately the shaman Cetric seems to ignore you
          other than polite chit chat.  Caladan explains

          Caladan: "Its rare if not impossible for a woman to be
            a shaman on the plains.  To see you as a shaman is
            not pleasing to him.  Don't take it personally its just
            how they feel.  In fact I've never heard of a female
            shaman ever at least on the plains.  There have been
            one or two female witches though in the tribes."

     Octaqi 15, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 306 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River

       [As the night progresses food is piled on.  It seems obvious
        this feast is very unusual.  The winter is approaching and
        its clear the tribe needs to save some food for the long
        winter.  But the tribe's hospitality is overflowing.

        Jordi presents his keg of wine for the feast and everyone
        enjoys it.  Theres not enough for the entire tribe but
        the higher status warriors, shaman and the elders enjoy
        it while the others do without but that's ok with them.]

       GM: Jordi - Keg removed off sheet.

       [During the feast torches and lanterns are lit in the camp.
        The campfire pit is ablaze with fire that stands 5 feet
        high at times.]

       Balrog: "Where do they get the firewood?  There's no
         trees for miles."
       Caladan: "Theres occasional trees here and there.  But
         we keep those around for shade and other reasons.  We
         have to import the wood from traders on the plains or
         the river.  The Ser'manda have a deal with a rancher
         to protect his land for wood for their tribes.  We
         trade with them for some of that wood.  We stockpile it
         for the winter.  By now we probably have a large pile
         somewhere around here."

       [At one point the warriors dress up in some war paint
        and dance around the campfire in a traditional chant
        song to honor the guests and the Zen'da.  During the
        entire feast almost Caladan still seems distracted.]

       [At this point Ben'dar tells his stories..]

       [As the feast's main course is finished a desert of
        bread and a berry type pie is served.]

       Xian: "Where's your family?"
       Caladan: "These are my family but...my immediate father
         and brothers aren't here.  For some reason.  I've asked
         but no one says much."
       Trembyl: "Did we waste a month for nothing?"
       Caladan: "Don't know.  I don't see much trouble here.
         But maybe we'll find out after the feast when we can
         talk privately with the elders and shaman."

       [At this point Strie'bog tells his stories...]

       [By this time its nearing a bit after 9pm.  Many have
        gone to their Tipis to rest or sleep.  Mainly the
        females and children.  The men about 1/3rd (50 or
        so) of the camp remains behind.  Another 20 or so
        leave when the elders head to bed.  Caladan tries
        to stand and talk to them but the Shaman interrupts.]

       Cetric: "Before we finish this feast we must honor the
         spirits of the wind, earth and sky.  By our tradition
         we will drink the Chouwa Juice."

       [Caladan explains..]
       Caladan: "The Juice is a form of berry juice mixed with
         a bit of liquor that can get you drunk fast but we'll
         only drink a few sips.  Remember [he whispers] drink
         all at once when Cetric does."

       [A warrior brings a barrel and a bowl.  Cetric dips the
        bowl which is large into it and brings out the drink.
        He then approaches the table and pours some in the mugs
        of the party.  The party examines and smells it.  It
        seems reddish like red wine but smells like sticky
        berries for sure.  A warrior then walks up and with
        a large plate shows a wafer to each person.  Caladan
        explains.]
       Caladan: "Its like a peace bread offering.  Its just
         hard bread but ok.  Take one each."

       [As each does they hold it and its hard but not sour.
        When done Cetric takes a wafer and holds it up.]

       [As the wafers are distributed 2 warriors with bags on
        their belts separate from teh others and walk somewhat
        behind the party.  Farseeker suspicious always notices
        this outright.  But they stand about 40 feet back.
        Far enough he feels ok with that.  But still unsure
        what they intend to do.  The others don't notice
        this and are listening to Caladan and Cetric.]

       Cetric: "This wafer represents life.  It takes time to
         mold and create life like this wafer.  From a base
         flour to a hard wafer.  From a child to a man.  It
         takes a solid peace to hold the people again war.  The
         wafer is that peace offering...though we know war is
         part of life we should be prepared for."

       [With that he eats a chunk of it.  He nods and each person
        does this.  Caladan didn't say to eat it at the same time
        so there sno rush.   Then Cetric brings up the bowl in
        both hands.]

       Cetric: "The juice is like the blood of the people and the
         life waters of time.  They will always flow as the people
         move through time.  We honor the spirits that give us
         the vast plains, the game and the food to live on so
         no blood has to be spilled."

       [With that he raises the bowl to his mouth as all the others
        do including Caladan and drinks.  The juice is tangy but
        rather tasty actually.  But it has a punch when it hits
        the stomach.]

       Cetric: "Good.  Now we shall talk...."

       [As Cetric walks toward the table a warrior hands him
        a staff which seems to be more walking staff than
        anything else.  As he walks those who eye him seem
        to notice he seems to be moving rather slow.  No...
        not slow...but blurry....then sounds seem to distort
        as if hearing people from a distance...]

       [Then just as fast as that Jordi, Xian, Chion, Stire'bog,
        Kasha, Thig and Z'leyra suddenly collapse onto their
        plates as their heads hit the table into darkness.]

       [Caladan tries to stand but feels dizzy..]

       Caladan: "you've...be..tra..yed us.." [then he also
        collapses to the table]

       [By now the others still conscious try to stand to
        or get to their weapons.  They feel weaker and dizzy
        as the by now obvious poison seems to be working
        int he system of those still awake.  Balrog tires to
        stand and grabs a mug to swing at a warrior but
        collapses on the ground 6 seconds later.  Trembyl
        lasts longer though he tries to stand and speak
        words for a teleport spell but his words are slurred
        and the spell is disorienting to cast.  He only lasts
        20 seconds before he collapses.  Unali grabs her daggers
        and tries to stand.  Confused she tries to stand on the
        table and charge the shaman himself.   But the poison
        messes up her balance and she almost falls off.  She
        stands up again and charges the shaman who only stands
        and waits.  She swings a dagger but he dodges it since
        her movements are slow.  Unali seems almost out of her
        body running on instinct now.  But she only lasts 30
        seconds and then falls herself.  At the same time as
        the others Ben'dar angry stands and looks for his horse.
        He has taken off his armor by now and tries to find his
        spear but his eyes are dazed a bit.  He staggers toward
        what he thinks is the corral but bumps into other warriors
        who push him back. Ben'dar lasts 8 seconds.  Farseeker
        jumps to his feet and seems totallyu unaffected by the
        poison.  In fact he isn't.  Somehow it failed to work
        at all against him.  He had put up his weapons on the
        horse but wore his broadsword (not great sword) as a
        sign of his status.  He unsheaths it and turns to face
        the horde of warriors.]

      Farseeker: "You Cetric!  What have you done!  If they
        die your head is forfeit!" [With that he charges Cetric
        but 10 warriors block his path.  He turns to find another
        path but turns to face the 3 with bags at only 3 feet
        away.  But this time the warriors lunge at Farseeker
        and with hands full of some powder all 3 blow it straight
        at Farseeker's face before he reacts.  Farseeker inhales
        by reflex and breathes in the powder.  The 3 warriors
        quickly draw back.  Farseeker staggers but runs foward
        toward the corral.  He wonders where the canines are but
        then notices they are also on the ground knocked out
        or dead.  The firesnake is still near caladan.  But
        as Farseeker makes it 10 feet he stops and feels weak.
        His breathing slows and he falls to his knees.  He
        drops his broadsword and then collapses into darkness...]

      [The last thing Farseeker sees is a group of riders enter
       the camp.  Then as his eyes close some arguing in Zen'dali...]

      [Darkness...no dreams...no thoughts...no sounds...

       Time seems to pass....

       Then slowly light comes again.   Thig wakes up.  Then
       Balrog, Ben'dar...slowly one by one everyone wakes up
       and opesn their eyes.  Not dead but your head feels
       like it might've been a better idea?  A dry mouth shows
       lack of water...no...a gag...in the mouth...and now
       you feel hands are tied behind your backs.  As each
       wake you find yourselves grouped in a large Tipi with
       nothing else in it.  It seems large enough to fit the
       party but tightly packed together.  No one can speak
       since gagged.  Each tries to free the hands and the
       tied up feet but find its too tight.  With no speech theres
       no spells.  Then folks notice they have no gear on them.
       No weapons.  Some have their leather armors on still but
       no useful items including any possible magical items or
       sharp objects like amulets.   From the look at the top
       of the Tipi it looks like day.  The party figures they
       slept the night?  Time passes and movement outsid is heard.
       Caladan then notices the firesnake is gone.

       Two warriors with small non horse lances and shields enter
       the Tipi and stand by the opening flap.  Then Cetric steps
       in.  He examines the party.  He nods.  One of the warrior
       stands Caladan up.]

      Cetric: "You bring outsiders after being gone for so many
        years?  You expect us to honor and trust these people.
        These thins (he points to Thig) and these female who
        claim to be shamans and warriors?"
      [Cetric removes Caladan's gag.  Then raises a finger.]
      Cetric: "No spirit words!" [Magic he must mean]

      [Caladan swallows and then speaks.]
      Caladan: "Cetric what have you done!  These are my friends.
        You use the Chouwa ceremony to disgrace it by poisoning
        us?"
      Cetric: "Speak nothing of shame.  You who leave the tribe
        for years and don't return or support the tribe in any
        fashion.  Where were you when the Ser'manda decided to
        raid a small clan for crimes they felt against them?
        Where were you in the famine of two years ago? With the
        white man and the city people.  You forget your heritage
        adn your family! Especially at times lik-"

       [At this point he is cut off when the flap opens and a
        tall male adult enters. He seems to be in his mid 40s
        or 50s?  He seems in good shape about 190 pounds nad
        stands 6 feet.  He wears a headband with 3 feathers
        in it which shows a higher status.  From his necklaces
        he wars showing his combat and clan status he seems
        very high indeed.]

       Male: "Cetric you were to get me first before speaking
         to them!"
       [Cetric looks at the male then at Caladan and backs a
        bit to the tipi wall.]
       Male: "Caladan.  It is good to see you again.  What
         have you been up to and why do you bring these
         poeple here?"
       [Caladan turns to the others who stare at Caladan and
        wonder what's going on.  Caladan nods toward the
        party and then the male.]
       Caladan: "Everyone.  This is my father.  Ga'sha
         Gib'borah Stonehands."

       [Xian, Farseeker and others' eyes widen when they
        hear this.  Ga'sha.  A high chief for the area
        his father? Others see the surprise and didn't
        know Xian and Farseeker who knew Caladan the longest
        would not be a son of a chief.]

       Caladan: "Father.  I travel here on word from our
         friend Bura of trouble here.  We speat a full
         month and more traveling here.  Now Cetric does this?
         You allow this?"

       Gib'borah: "I did not allow it.  I was away when you
         came last night.  He did this without my knowledge.
         There was nothing to do till you woke up this morning.
         What's the meaning of this?" [he turns toward
         Cetric]

       Cetric: "As I explained last night Ga'sha we can't
         trust these outsiders.  What's to say the vision
         is true and these are those people?"
       Gib'borah: "Visions are one thing.  Caladan is family!
         You dishonor the tribe, me and them by doing this!"
       Cetric: "I say my vision was true and these are the
        bringers of doom to the plains!  They have to be!"
       Caladan: "Didn't you hear the stories last night/  We
         help others.  We help each other.  You know me.  You
         grew up with me for many years."
       Cetric: "You I knew once, Sundancer.  Yes.  But nnow
         do I?  I claim the right of Fouz D'kat!"
       [Caladan and Gib'borah stare at Cetric for a full
        minute and then at each other.]
       Caladan: "You can't allow this father."
       Gib'borah: "You know the way we do things.  I rule over
         the warriors and the battles.  The women the family.
         The shaman handles the people in non war matters.
         His domain is with the people.  he has the sway of
         the people." [he looks down and sighs] "I can't go
         against the people without disruption." [He looks
         back at Caladan] "I'm sorry."
       Caladan: "This is not right!"
       Cetric: "Bring them outside!"

       [Caladan turns to the others]
       Caladan: "Do not resist.  There is no harm unless you
         resist.  I still may be able to get us out of this."

       [With that the party is led outside into the bright morning
        sun and put in a row.  Many of the tribe is outside doing
        various duties and tasks.  Cetric stands and shouts out
        to the camp.]

       Cetric: "These visitors may be omens of danger or saviors!
         Out of respect for the Ga'sha and Caladan I claim the
         right to test so the trust can be obtained!"  [With that
         many stop and listen intently.  Many speak among
         themseleves.  ]

       Caladan: "I dispose the claim!  These people are my
        friends and to this tribe."
       Cetric: "What does the tribe say.  Does anyone wish to
        stop the test?" [With this he eyes the tribe of people
        and its clear from his status no one speaks up out
        of fear or confusion?]

       Caladan: "No one!?  I came back to help the tribe and
         theres no oen to support me?" [He looks at his father
         directly who just stares.]

       [Then a elder in his 80s steps out of the crowd.]
       Elder: "I argue against!"
       Cetric: "Any others?"
       [By now its clear the party has no clue what's going on
        but its obvious something is building up.]

       Gib'borah: "Cetric wins the claim.  Caladan wins the
         option of challenge!"
       Cetric: "This...is acceptable..."
       [Looks like the chief cut that road off before one  of
        Cetric's friends could claim the challenge right.]

       [Caladan turns to the party and speaks in Marentian]
       Caladan: "I'm sorry my friends.  The shaman has claimed
         we are enemy of the people.  I doubt many in the
         tribe agree but there is something going on I don't
         know about yet.  The shaman claims the right that
         to gain our trust we must....be tested.  Unfournately
         in this case each must be tested.  If one chooses not
         to be tested under the custom he must leave the area
         immediately.  This would mean the tribal lands to the
         river or Ser'manda lands.  While the tests are mostly
         harmless there may be one or two tests that could be
         dangerous.  My father has given me the option to choose
         which person will go on which test the shaman chooses.
         If this is not acceptable I will leave with you now
         and no dishonor will come to you or me.  The claim is
         only against you...sadly.  What say you?"

        [With that he waits for a nod or shake of the head.
         The gags are still in place as the shaman fears someone
         could use magic ro escape or do other things.]

        [Strie'bog notices in the distance his wolf and Thig's
         dogs are safe and sitting in a small boxed in corral
         for sheep it seems?  Likely to hold them.  The eagle
         is seen sitting on a Tipi to the left on a pole.]

        [Some feel weak from the poison but otherwise in
         full shape.]

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

     Yes.  I know.  You'd probably have not drunk it.  But its
     stage building up the plot.  Thus the custom :)  I know
     cheating.  In a table game I'd have done no custom since
     it would've been a quick drink and your down thing.  The
     shaman was obviously immune to the knockout poison.  Guess
     this is why i invented the Sensory spells like Smell or
     Taste :)  Anyways a bad self plug there.  :)

     Let me know what you think and do. Course no much can be
     said at this point just nod or a shake.  :)

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933